Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Tenik posted:

Are the queues for alex and the lower floors for omega quick? I would assume that they'd have very few players queuing for them, since they are so old and there is no reason for an endgame player to do them more than once. The fights themselves aren't that hard, but unless you are in an FC that will help you out, finding people to do them with you is going to be the real challenge.

I imagine Omega is okay, but I think Alex is pretty dead, especially after the first few floors. I only say this because I occassionally get one of the early floors in mentor roulette and no exaggeration it's usually like six mentors and two sprouts. I can only imagine how long they waited before DF amassed that many mentors for them. The mentors just decimate the place and floors 1-8 really aren't much of a fight anymore even synced because it uses the max 60 ilvl. A6 can still gently caress up unaware tanks, though. It's kind of funny to see.

Better to just run through the place with friends at 70. If you have no helpful friends, PF might deliver if you advertise bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

O3 is still the rudest thing ever, though. :argh:

and by that you mean funnest 8)

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ruta posted:

I imagine Omega is okay, but I think Alex is pretty dead, especially after the first few floors. I only say this because I occassionally get one of the early floors in mentor roulette and no exaggeration it's usually like six mentors and two sprouts. I can only imagine how long they waited before DF amassed that many mentors for them. The mentors just decimate the place and floors 1-8 really aren't much of a fight anymore even synced because it uses the max 60 ilvl. A6 can still gently caress up unaware tanks, though. It's kind of funny to see.

Better to just run through the place with friends at 70. If you have no helpful friends, PF might deliver if you advertise bonus.

IME, tons of people do them unsynced in PF for WT, and they have no problem bringing a few Lv 60 newbies along. Finding people who are chill about letting you watch the cutscenes may be trickier, as will finding people willing to run them synced (this is silly, most of Alex normal is a faceroll now, even synced).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you dye the rdm weapon blue it looks like SSB goku using kaioken

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm leveling BLM and at 35 i'm not sure what the point of Freeze is vs Ice 2. Can i just safely ignore one of them in favor of saving a hotbar slot?

Also not quite sure how to use Fire 3. it takes so loooong to cast, that it's probably meant for pulling enemies, but as it is, i'm usually in ice form after a mob kill when going to the next to refill mana, which means i pull with lightning into transpose to fire instead.
And when would i use Scathe ever?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

HenryEx posted:

I'm leveling BLM and at 35 i'm not sure what the point of Freeze is vs Ice 2. Can i just safely ignore one of them in favor of saving a hotbar slot?

Also not quite sure how to use Fire 3. it takes so loooong to cast, that it's probably meant for pulling enemies, but as it is, i'm usually in ice form after a mob kill when going to the next to refill mana, which means i pull with lightning into transpose to fire instead.

It'll come together at 40 with your third astral/umbral stack. Fire 3 and Blizzard 3 are to get to max stacks of their respective element.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Scathe is used on the move or to finish off a nearly dead target.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

HenryEx posted:

You end up using freeze rarely and blizzard 2 never - at 50, I’ve taken both off my bars.

Fire 3 puts you in astral fire at max stacks. Once you hit 40, both fire 3 and blizzard 3 have a 1.5 second cast time instead of 3. Cast it while in umbral ice.

Scathe is used for movement when you hint have a proc or swiftcast ready, or to get a touch more damage in before a boss goes invincible. Ideally it won’t be used, but sometimes it’s needed. Also good for killing a mob that won’t live long enough for you to finish a cast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Freeze is basically ignorable. Ice 2 has niche uses but is also pretty ignorable.

Fire 3 is to boost your umbral stacks to max. You also get a skill later that makes it a free instant cast.

Scathe is castable while moving so you use it when you need to avoid attacks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Blizzard II is kinda poo poo and doesn't even refresh Umbral Ice. :argh:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Blizzard II is kinda poo poo and doesn't even refresh Umbral Ice. :argh:

Pretty sure it does. Fire and Blizzard 4 are the only ones that don't refresh the stacks.

E: and yeah, take freeze off your bar, fire 3 is for opening and going back to fire once you get your third ice stack, and scathe is for when you're moving around or can't cast anything else.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Wait when did they do that? I remember it refreshing Umbral back when it was 100 potency and worth using. But yeah even since Blizz 2 got nerfed to 50 potency it has no place being on anyone's bars, and they haven't designed a fight where a Bind is useful since T7 so even Freeze is barely needed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't have extra BLM advice to give, but I'd just like to compliment you for looking at the numbers on Fire III and saying "it doesn't make sense for me to be casting this all the time instead of Fire I". You'd be surprised how many people don't put that together

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I can’t wait to triple cast Fire IV Fire IV Foul

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Axle_Stukov posted:

But yeah even since Blizz 2 got nerfed to 50 potency it has no place being on anyone's bars, and they haven't designed a fight where a Bind is useful since T7 so even Freeze is barely needed.

Blizz 2 is the AoE scathe: run into the middle of a group and spam it on things that are going to die before you can astral up and fire 2 them. It comes out really quick since you don't need to target anything.

Freeze I'd agree can be taken off bars though. It's too slow because you have to position it. Even including movement time you can get like, 2-3 casts of blizz 2 out per single freeze cast.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 24, 2018

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Freeze = Has one really specific use because it's the 'highest potency' spell you can cast without actually targeting something, which means you can use it to eke out 0.0003% more dps in certain fights where the boss likes to gently caress off.
Blizz 2 = Just remove this from your hotbars, Fire 2 is what you'd use for AoE until you get Flare.
Fire 3 = Use this at the start of your rotation (UNTIL you get access to Umbral Hearts), after that, use it whenever you have full mana in Umbral Ice to quickly switch back. You generally don't want to transpose and fill up with Fire 1s because it's sort of a DPS loss (it's complicated).
Scathe = Use this if you're being forced to move constantly, like on the level of Ifrit Eruption or something.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chucat posted:

Fire 2 is what you'd use for AoE until you get Flare.

On that note; once you get flare, should you just be casting that as much as possible instead of trying to use fire 2 at all? That's what I've heard but it just...feels wrong, for some reason.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
You Fire 2 until you're around 20% MP then you Flare and transpose and Flare.

After 60 you do Fire 4s unless there's at least 4 enemies.

After 68 you blow only two umbral hearts on F2/4 and then you Flare twice and transpose and Flare etc.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

On that note; once you get flare, should you just be casting that as much as possible instead of trying to use fire 2 at all? That's what I've heard but it just...feels wrong, for some reason.

If there's more than 2 targets, I literally just Flare --> Transpose --> Flare --> Transpose (with Thunder 4 to mix) until 68, Fire 2 isn't worth it iirc.

I'm willing to be proven wrong by mathematics here.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
All the numbers poindexters in this thread are going to give you a bunch of rotation nonsense about optimal spell usage and how to get the most out of your MP and how maybe you should use another spell or wait for cooldowns or some other bullshit 1% BLM raiders do in their deeply unhappy, unsatisfying lives, but I'm here to tell you to ignore all of it. There is only one thing you should ever strive for as a BLM, the only goalpost to ever work towards. Cast Flare as much and as often as you loving can.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Regarding Freeze... if you're not casting it on random people in town then what are you even doing playing BLM? It's a big obnoxious spammable aoe that you can cast while idling in cities! That alone earns it a place on your bars. :colbert:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

I can’t wait to triple cast Fire IV Fire IV Foul

Look at this noob not going triplecast Flare Flare Flare swiftcast Flare.

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010
Putting out a recruitment call for any Goons on the Aether Datacenter interested in Sigmascape Savage. We're looking for a Melee DPS (DRG/NIN) for progress on O8S. We are a friendly and focused static that raids two days a week (Tues/Wednesday) for three hours between 7 and 10 PM Eastern. We aim to make the most of our raid time but still have fun in the process; overall we want a player that has a positive and affable personality that will mesh with our existing team. We're willing to take on players without clears from O7S provided you've had some experience in the fight. If you're interested, message Haliyer#0145 over Discord and we can talk further.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Look at this noob not going triplecast Flare Flare Flare swiftcast Flare.

I’m only 60, I’ve recently been told how umber hearts work and I have been erect for several hours

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Is there an easy way to turn off buffs when playing with a controller? Just starting to tank and sometimes I'll get healers who regen + medica 2 pre-pull and it is a pain to turn off if I'm not on kb+m.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chucat posted:

If there's more than 2 targets, I literally just Flare --> Transpose --> Flare --> Transpose (with Thunder 4 to mix) until 68, Fire 2 isn't worth it iirc.

I'm willing to be proven wrong by mathematics here.

Wait hang on, do you not want to squeeze a fire 3 to get back up to 3 stacks of fire before casting flare again? Or is that boost not worth the delay in flaring again?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wait hang on, do you not want to squeeze a fire 3 to get back up to 3 stacks of fire before casting flare again? Or is that boost not worth the delay in flaring again?
Some people do weird things for maximum flare% runs.
But yes, you want to fire 3 into Astral before flaring so that it gets the Astral potency bonus.

And before 68 you do want to stick up to three fire 2's depending on mana/mob health before flaring twice (via convert) or thrice (via convert/pot.)
It's at 68 that you can go Triplecast Flare, Flare, Convert, Flare, Manapot, Swiftcast Flare.

Add in a Foul at 70.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 25, 2018

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Are you saying to flare even if you’ve got ice stacks and not fire?

And why only three fire 2s? Shouldn’t you do as many as possible before triple flaring?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

No, the above is assuming you've swapped into Astral via Fire 3 at max mana.

And you can only do three fire 2's before you dip under the minimum mana needed to flare. Technically after you convert you could do a fire 2 and then flare but that slows down reasonable flaring.

Edit: For maximum flare, every time you transpose you immediately start casting fire 3, the non-umbral 3 cast time of it ensuring that you'll have enough mana to flare afterwards and be able to transpose again immediately after you flare.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 25, 2018

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Sometimes you want to do AoE damage without entering fire mode, maybe because you’re trying to save umbral hearts for a boss or just don’t think the enemies will live more than a GCD. In that case, Freeze is your highest dps are attack, while Blizz2 is your fastest-casting and thus fastest umbral stack generator/surest bet to hit rapidly dying targets.

The AoE bind on either can be useful for fighting stuff in the overworld- if you get mobbed, you can Blizz2 the enemy in place, back off, and pull em one at a time with single target spells. Obviously Sleep is also good for this but hey, maybe your foes have built up sleep resistance but not bind resistance.

This is all insanely niche and these spells are safely ignored in the current design.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Traxis posted:

Is there an easy way to turn off buffs when playing with a controller? Just starting to tank and sometimes I'll get healers who regen + medica 2 pre-pull and it is a pain to turn off if I'm not on kb+m.

You can make a macro with /statusoff "Medica II" and whatever other buffs you don't want.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Edit: For maximum flare, every time you transpose you immediately start casting fire 3, the non-umbral 3 cast time of it ensuring that you'll have enough mana to flare afterwards and be able to transpose again immediately after you flare.

there's no wya that does more damage than using fire 2 and the normal rotation, right?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah sorry, I knew I forgot something, I didn't add it because it was a given to me.

Basically in a non-memey way, your AoE rotation is pretty much doing as many Fire 3 boosted Flares as possible, because it blows Fire 2 damage out of the water (Fire 2 does 80 damage, Flare does 260 to 78 damage), before 4.0, you lacked Umbral Hearts and were limited by the cooldown of Transpose, so you did the following:

Fire 3 --> Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> Fire 2 --> Fire 2 --> Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> etc

4.0 added Umbral Hearts, which allowed you do double Flare every cycle, and it also gave you an AoE thunder, both of which are better than Fire 2 which would make your rotation.

Blizz 3 --> Blizz 4 --> Fire 3 --> Flare --> Flare --> Transpose --> (Foul) --> Blizz 4 --> Fire 3 --> Thunder 4 --> Flare --> Flare --> Transpose etc (basically you're replacing the 2 Fire 2s with the stuff you get at Stormblood, pre-Stormblood you'd still be using Fire 2s)

HOWEVER, in 4.2, the Transpose cooldown was drastically lowered, which, as I mentioned earlier, is the limiting factor in your Flares and why you're casting lovely Fire 2s, which means you can now do, pre-68.

Fire 3 --> Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> (Sharpcast Thunder 2/4) --> Flare --> Transpose --> etc

Edit: I'm lazy and I don't include stuff like Swiftcast, Triplecast and Convert and so on.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 25, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You still use Fire 2's until 68 though, since pre-Enhanced Umbral Hearts don't do anything to stop Flare sucking up all your mana.
Past that though, embrace the Thunder IV procs and Flare erryday.

IIRC the math on Astral Boosted Fire 2 puts it's potency around 144 while Flare is something like 360 or so for four targets.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I would prefer them to redo the combat system and make it closer to FF11. Combat that requies team work. Skill chains and Magic bursts is what made that game incredibly fun for having such a simple combat system.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Verranicus posted:

I would prefer them to redo the combat system and make it closer to FF11. Combat that requies team work. Skill chains and Magic bursts is what made that game incredibly fun for having such a simple combat system.

I have great news, there's a game out there that's right up your alley. It's called Final Fantasy XI.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I’ve come to a conclusion.... I like Eureka. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

So I’ve come to a conclusion.... I like Eureka. :(

I can't say I like Eureka but I honestly would rather run it than PotD or Diadem.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm the crazy guy that liked Eureka more in the first day or two when it was just chain parties, before people figured out how NMs worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you could start PotD at floor 151 I would run it all the time.