Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

I can't say I like Eureka but I honestly would rather run it than PotD or Diadem.

Eureka becomes better and better the more you play.

I think the only major flaws I see are requiring a first protean crystal to unlock Geralt, the odd XP scaling from NMs for levels 1-5, and the fact that player scaling isn’t it so people can help newcomers.

The scaling issue is only really a problem when trying to help people get protean crystals. My wife was first going into Eureka last night, and although we killed Sabotender and got her anemos crystals, without the protean crystal, she couldn’t access the NPCs to do anything. And I’m level 19 so I can’t help her farm for one normally.

Our solution was to take her out to the newbie beach, drop group, have her attack a collection of enemies that I then completely blow up, thus taking her to a 29 chain. Then she blew her cooldowns and killed an enemy equal to her level to finish the chain and get the guaranteed protean crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

homeless snail posted:

I'm the crazy guy that liked Eureka more in the first day or two when it was just chain parties, before people figured out how NMs worked.

gently caress chain parties. I just like running around in an insane massive train and killing big monsters.

Eureka then becomes an incredibly chill experience.

I just wish I had more to do with Anemos/Protean crystals after gearing up the classes I care about/have leveled.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I finished the 60-70 DRK questline.

”You are forgiven.”

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
My only problem with Eureka now is that my PC can't handle all the players and particle effects in a small space so eventually stuff stops loading and I drop to 1FPS during fates. I fought one of the NMs, I forget which one, while standing on empty air, surrounded by players missing their torsos. I still have no idea what half of the NMs actually look like. They either don't load at all, or are lost in a sea of spell effects.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Leofish posted:

My only problem with Eureka now is that my PC can't handle all the players and particle effects in a small space so eventually stuff stops loading and I drop to 1FPS during fates. I fought one of the NMs, I forget which one, while standing on empty air, surrounded by players missing their torsos. I still have no idea what half of the NMs actually look like. They either don't load at all, or are lost in a sea of spell effects.

Create a macro to turn off the spell effects of others.

/micon "Eureka" emote
/bfx party simple
/bfx other off
/soundeffectsparty 50
/soundeffectsother 20

and

/micon "Examine Self" emote
/bfx party all
/bfx other all
/soundeffectsparty 100
/soundeffectsother 100

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Turning off effects will help, but unfortunately no setting will prevent the game client from giving up at the idea of drawing 140 players, an NM, and a pile of adds all at once, so you're forever going to have to deal with the boss vanishing and murdering you with an AoE your client didn't render or being unable to raise a dead party member without wandering around for 30 seconds until the client decides to draw them. For real, why aren't party members and Eureka NMs automatically prioritized to be drawn first like S rank hunts are?

My favorite "the game engine isn't meant to deal with this many objects at once" though is Polyphemus' pull-in before his 360 AoE. There's usually so many people hit by it that you don't actually get affected by the pull-in until the AoE cast is 2/3 done, turning it from a fairly mundane mechanic into a dirty, dirty trick.

Yeah, I guess I'm in the home stretch now that I'm 17. I still feel like the only reason I'm spending so much time in Eureka now is the expectation that it'll be dead in a month once the first few waves have everything they want and leaves forever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

I can't say I like Eureka but I honestly would rather run it than PotD or Diadem.

Same. The unique drops from bosses give it a leg up. That and people don't leave you to fight a Mimic solo so that you spend the next several floors with pox. :argh:

WrightOfWay posted:

If you could start PotD at floor 151 I would run it all the time.

:yeah:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
So I've just come back to this game on my lvl 50 char. So far it seems like I have to beat Shiva (Extreme) to progress my main story. I'm queueing for that (and wiping + queue takes like an hour) and leveling weaver in the meantime and doing the insane Hildibrand quests (one of 'em was in my log, so I just continued with 'em even tho the XP is crap).

Now say I actually wanna progress XP-wise, what's the thing for me to do?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zam Wesell posted:

So I've just come back to this game on my lvl 50 char. So far it seems like I have to beat Shiva (Extreme) to progress my main story. I'm queueing for that (and wiping + queue takes like an hour) and leveling weaver in the meantime and doing the insane Hildibrand quests (one of 'em was in my log, so I just continued with 'em even tho the XP is crap).

Nope, Shiva extreme is purely optional. Look for the quest with a golden meteor symbol. A blue + quest is optional but leads to new features or dungeons or trials and whatnot.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Thundarr posted:

Turning off effects will help, but unfortunately no setting will prevent the game client from giving up at the idea of drawing 140 players, an NM, and a pile of adds all at once, so you're forever going to have to deal with the boss vanishing and murdering you with an AoE your client didn't render or being unable to raise a dead party member without wandering around for 30 seconds until the client decides to draw them. For real, why aren't party members and Eureka NMs automatically prioritized to be drawn first like S rank hunts are?

My favorite "the game engine isn't meant to deal with this many objects at once" though is Polyphemus' pull-in before his 360 AoE. There's usually so many people hit by it that you don't actually get affected by the pull-in until the AoE cast is 2/3 done, turning it from a fairly mundane mechanic into a dirty, dirty trick.

Yeah, I guess I'm in the home stretch now that I'm 17. I still feel like the only reason I'm spending so much time in Eureka now is the expectation that it'll be dead in a month once the first few waves have everything they want and leaves forever.

Party members seem to get priority if you set character and object rendering to minimum. No other setting appears to do this. I've seen party members on the other side of Pazuzu this way. It also feels as if it has some mob prioritization, as your small count doesn't immediately fill up with just players. Or I've just been incredibly lucky. It's really weird.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 25, 2018

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Cythereal posted:

Nope, Shiva extreme is purely optional. Look for the quest with a golden meteor symbol. A blue + quest is optional but leads to new features or dungeons or trials and whatnot.

I guess this is my next quest:

So do I have to have beaten those dungeons to progress, or have them unlocked? I only have one, but I have no recollection on how...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Zam Wesell posted:

I guess this is my next quest:

So do I have to have beaten those dungeons to progress, or have them unlocked? I only have one, but I have no recollection on how...

You need to complete them, they're all unlocked in the waking sands. I think you have to do Ifrit Hard before you can unlock garuda, but I did it so long ago I don't really remember.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Eureka: Still poo poo.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Wacky Delly posted:

You need to complete them, they're all unlocked in the waking sands. I think you have to do Ifrit Hard before you can unlock garuda, but I did it so long ago I don't really remember.

You seem to be correct! Thanks!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Imagine that Eureka was supposed to come out when max item stacks was 99. Imagine that there was actually a worse Eureka than what we got.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zam Wesell posted:

Yep, Ifrit Hard will lead to Titan Hard and Garuda Hard. You get them all from the Waking Sands.

Enjoy Titan Hard, this isn't the last time the MSQ will require running it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Zam Wesell posted:

Also, if you are on Excalibur, link up with goons and we can blitz you through those.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

Enjoy Titan Hard, this isn't the last time the MSQ will require running it.

Titaaaaaaan! :argh:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Also, if you are on Excalibur, link up with goons and we can blitz you through those.

Cheers! Might just do that if PUGs let me down... ("if")

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zam Wesell posted:

Cheers! Might just do that if PUGs let me down... ("if")

The vast, vast majority of runs of dungeons and regular mode raids I have are with pubs and go completely fine

RME
Feb 20, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I'm the crazy guy that liked Eureka more in the first day or two when it was just chain parties, before people figured out how NMs worked.

nah i know a bunch of people like that

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
There's a guy in my FC who insists that the NM train is breaking the content, and isn't "what he signed up for" in doing Eureka. He was really excited to kill Sea Bishops for three levels.

Some people have broken brains.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shere posted:

There's a guy in my FC who insists that the NM train is breaking the content, and isn't "what he signed up for" in doing Eureka. He was really excited to kill Sea Bishops for three levels.

Some people have broken brains.

It probably is breaking the design in that they probably didn't expect people to spade it out as quickly as they did, but it's also absurd for any designer to think it wouldn't be data mined in under 20 seconds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As I look more into Eureka... yeah, maybe I don't want anything to do with that :stare:

It seems like the kind of thing where you could fall behind in elemental level and basically never be able to catch up unless someone lets you leech off them and given how casually I play that would probably not go my way.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

As I look more into Eureka... yeah, maybe I don't want anything to do with that :stare:

It seems like the kind of thing where you could fall behind in elemental level and basically never be able to catch up unless someone lets you leech off them and given how casually I play that would probably not go my way.

Not really. The biggest hurdle is honestly getting from level 1 to level 5. 5+ is easy.

Someone tested out the XP from NM per level. From level 5+ you get a good amount of XP from every NM up to level 20. For 1-4, you get only a fraction of XP if the NM is more than two levels above you.

The best way to get from 1-5 is to get a group together or have a high level person help you spawn Sabotender, Emperor, and Telos. That should get you close to level 4 or 5. From there, just join the NM train and you’ll be fine.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

It's also hard to leech because there are a couple level spreads where being beyond it yields no experience, both your elemental level vs. the enemy being fought, and yours vs. the highest party member. Only NMs are really leechable, and the downward experience scaling for being below the fights set level is a pretty sharp curve. This is offset by having more open up to you however. The grind is definitely incredibly front loaded at the moment.

The other issue is being stuck on one side of the map opposite a new NM spawn, without aethernet access or mount while the majority of the instance has those things. You can ride on a two-person mount at any level from what I've seen though, so make sure you ask your party to use those.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 25, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Eureka: how many tandem mounts are there? I know of the three big chocobos, but i swear i saw someone hop up on another person's balloon or something. Some kinda floating thing.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

HenryEx posted:

Speaking of Eureka: how many tandem mounts are there? I know of the three big chocobos, but i swear i saw someone hop up on another person's balloon or something. Some kinda floating thing.

5. Wedding chocobo, two friend recruitment chocobos, mogstation moogle mount, and the 2000(not a typo) Mentor Roulettes Pegasus.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

HenryEx posted:

That’s the fat moogle mount from the cash shop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

The best way to get from 1-5 is to get a group together or have a high level person help you spawn Sabotender, Emperor, and Telos. That should get you close to level 4 or 5. From there, just join the NM train and you’ll be fine.

Skaw posted:

It's also hard to leech because there are a couple level spreads where being beyond it yields no experience, both your elemental level vs. the enemy being fought, and yours vs. the highest party member. Only NMs are really leechable, and the downward experience scaling for being below the fights set level is a pretty sharp curve. This is offset by having more open up to you however. The grind is definitely incredibly front loaded at the moment.

How grindy is it to get one Anemos weapon? I can't find much info on drop rates and stuff.

I have no interest in outfitting multiple jobs in full Anemos gear or anything, but a cool-looking weapon is always nice to have.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

How grindy is it to get one Anemos weapon? I can't find much info on drop rates and stuff.

I have no interest in outfitting multiple jobs in full Anemos gear or anything, but a cool-looking weapon is always nice to have.

You'll easily get enough crystals for a few different weapons if you just train NMs before you even hit level 19, which is required to get Pazuzu feathers to drop to your inventory for the current final stage.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

The biggest hurdle (not really a hurdle) is getting to level 19 to get the feathers to drop from Pazuzu. You’ll have enough currency for the weapon and the full armor set by then.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

By the time you hit 19 you’ll have enough crystals for at least a full Anemos armor set and relic

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
poo poo I almost got enough anemos crystals for 2 weapons, its just getting to a high enough level to get the feathers and I'm not even at 15 yet.

E: Like I don't even get why goons say "oh don't exchange your anemos crystals, hold onto them" I blew through enough to get the 1.3k proteans for my weapon and I got another 400 rotting in my inventory and they still haven't come into play yet.

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 25, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That doesn't seem too terrible, then, depending on how long it takes to get to 19. Given that I rarely play more than an hour or two a day, that is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Well the good news for you is there's no playing involved 95% of the time.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Harrow posted:

That doesn't seem too terrible, then, depending on how long it takes to get to 19. Given that I rarely play more than an hour or two a day, that is.

I got roped into doing Eureka with my wife and watched an entire series on Netflix spanning about 20 real life hours across about the last week to go from level 5 to level 19. I may or may not have also played some Into The Breach as well. Point being, it's a double-digit number of hours to get to 19/20 for the feathers.

People saying it's easy are trying to indicate that it's not difficult because it mostly consists of moving once every 10-20 minutes and tabbing out to do something more interesting. It's just like what Fate grinding used to be like in Northern Thanalan except you can force the fates to spawn in a predictable way on a predetermined time-table.

It's significantly less bad than it appeared at first blush but it's still basically a content void and not something anyone should endeavor to do in any earnest way.

Leal posted:

poo poo I almost got enough anemos crystals for 2 weapons, its just getting to a high enough level to get the feathers and I'm not even at 15 yet.

E: Like I don't even get why goons say "oh don't exchange your anemos crystals, hold onto them" I blew through enough to get the 1.3k proteans for my weapon and I got another 400 rotting in my inventory and they still haven't come into play yet.

You need 750 Anemos crystals for each full set of anemos armor. If you're not interested in the armor, the anemos crystals have no use (edit: after the level 17 quest takes 99, as stated in the post below) other than to convert them down to Protean crystals. They have mentioned that they'll be making the conversion process less dumb in a later patch, but you can just mash numpad 0 at the converter to chew through them.

I wouldn't convert them until you're going to use them for something because at least the Anemos crystals work as a compressor and save you inventory slots.

ImpAtom posted:

It probably is breaking the design in that they probably didn't expect people to spade it out as quickly as they did, but it's also absurd for any designer to think it wouldn't be data mined in under 20 seconds.

I'd really like to know how long they expected Eureka to take for people to 'finish' but the overall design of it is so under-cooked that I doubt they really scoped that much out.

I just wonder if they really thought people would be chain killing mobs forever.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 25, 2018

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
The only amount of Anemos Crystals you absolutely need to 100% have on hand is 99 for the level 17 quest, which isn't even a tall ask as you'll go from 0-100 multiple times through level 16 itself. Shovel the rest on to your retainer/chocobo until you're ready to convert.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Have you ever seen a fate train consisting of 80+ people standing in front of a mob group needed to spawn a NM, and noone attacks anything becuase everyone is afk. For 10+ minutes. Occasionally a brave and severely underleveled soul runs out to pull a mob into the group, gets one shot and takes some of the afk crowd with them.

Every few minutes, some healers come alive and rez the corpses, then go back afk.

I've actually seen this several times today. The saddest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I've seen that, and I've seen a group of 75-80 people all die to Hazmat because they didn't kill the blue add, because most of them just aren't doing anything after they tag the boss.