Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

java is an open platform, .net is a closed one

java attracts huge open source investment. .net attracts a swarm of ISVs trying to nickle and dime you for libraries

java standardization is guided by open committees. .net is guided by a secretive and capricious mega-firm.

and java's standard implementation is guided by oracle, a notoriously capricious and secret megafirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Mr Dog posted:

.net is a worse java

it's not bad per se but java does everything .net does better.

I have been meaning to take springMVC for a spin

i've never really gotten my hands dirty with it and i have heard good things

Malcolm XML posted:

.net foundation is making this better

lol if u think ms is secretive about .net at this point

Malcolm XML posted:

and java's standard implementation is guided by oracle, a notoriously capricious and secret megafirm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

java's standard implementation is guided by a governance board with only one oracle member. oracle can't change the bylaws by fiat.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Java is open-source and .NET isn't though

Microsoft comes up with The One Persistence Framework and The One MVC Framework and hey guess what chances are it's going to stuck but everyone's stuck with it for the next two years until MS throws it out and starts from scratch again

the Java ecosystem comes up with 100 persistence and mvc frameworks, most of which suck and die, but after survival of the fittest has done its thing we're left with a considerably healthier platform.

Java tried this poo poo with those giant lovely "vendor neutral" trainwreck specifications for J2EE and those sucked too, nowadays they just assimilate the successful open-source solution. Microsoft still hasn't got the memo that this is a doomed strategy yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

type erasure is pretty terrible. hope you didn't want to use generics for exceptions. also, tough break about not having value types.

re: chef/puppet supremacy. friend of mine was all bubbly about vagrant. is it an ok thing, or should I make fun of him?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

re: chef/puppet supremacy. friend of mine was all bubbly about vagrant. is it an ok thing, or should I make fun of him?

vagrant started terrible but it keeps getting less bad

and you will still need a cfg mgmt system on your vagrant-spawned VMs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Java is open-source and .NET isn't though

Microsoft comes up with The One Persistence Framework and The One MVC Framework and hey guess what chances are it's going to stuck but everyone's stuck with it for the next two years until MS throws it out and starts from scratch again

the Java ecosystem comes up with 100 persistence and mvc frameworks, most of which suck and die, but after survival of the fittest has done its thing we're left with a considerably healthier platform.

Java tried this poo poo with those giant lovely "vendor neutral" trainwreck specifications for J2EE and those sucked too, nowadays they just assimilate the successful open-source solution. Microsoft still hasn't got the memo that this is a doomed strategy yet.

what

asp.net mvc has stuck around because it's good

there are tons of replacements for ef and there are lots of web libs

they are even updated out of band now

did u not ok at the .net foundation? it's basically Msft doing a java standards approach

also all of the .net sources are online

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

syntaxrigger posted:

I have been meaning to take springMVC for a spin

i've never really gotten my hands dirty with it and i have heard good things

spring MVC is pretty okay. it's not flamboyantly terse like a p-lang framework but its decent and (here's THE BIG ONE) its integrated with spring. whatever you want to do theres a spring lib to plug in and do it for you

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

what

asp.net mvc has stuck around because it's good

there are tons of replacements for ef and there are lots of web libs

they are even updated out of band now

did u not ok at the .net foundation? it's basically Msft doing a java standards approach

also all of the .net sources are online

lol .net dev has an mvc and an orm and thinks its an ecosystem

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

java's standard implementation is guided by a governance board with only one oracle member. oracle can't change the bylaws by fiat.

they own the reference impl though

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vagrant started terrible but it keeps getting less bad

and you will still need a cfg mgmt system on your vagrant-spawned VMs

Vagrant with a config manager owns bones. Let's me collaborate with other people without having to run them through system set up, same goes for going back to old projects.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

they own the reference impl though

yeah but who cares. it's open source. if you don't like what oracle is doing, you're free to pitch your fork as a ref. impl. to the jcp. additionally, it's in oracle's best interests to keep things copacetic. they want ibm and red hat and academia inside the tent pissing out

lastly, we're comparing to .net. where we have source code for some things some of the time, but all product direction is always determineed by microsoft alone

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Maluco Marinero posted:

Vagrant with a config manager owns bones. Let's me collaborate with other people without having to run them through system set up, same goes for going back to old projects.

vagrant is incredible. gently caress up your dev enviroment erryday and it's just a 'vagrant up' to fix it. it's nice for testing different envs too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah but who cares. it's open source. if you don't like what oracle is doing, you're free to pitch your fork as a ref. impl. to the jcp.

does this happen? as a developer, which of these freedom-embracing million points of light do I target?

pretty sure the answers are "no", and "Oracle's because that's what everyone has and always will, numbnuts". possible exception is Android, whose Java subset is commercially interesting, but which isn't governed by the enlightened jcp.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Subjunctive posted:

type erasure is pretty terrible. hope you didn't want to use generics for exceptions. also, tough break about not having value types.

Use Vagrant and Ansible for super easy development environments imo.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

does this happen? as a developer, which of these freedom-embracing million points of light do I target?

of course it doesn't happen. oracle puts millions of dollars into openjdk. the project is suiting everyone's needs. why would anyone want to fork it or sow dissension in the openjdk project?

if oracle became hostile towards the jcp or openjdk, then the jcp could become interested in a new "sponsor" for openjdk

opt
Oct 10, 2007

spring MVC is pretty okay. it's not flamboyantly terse like a p-lang framework but its decent and (here's THE BIG ONE) its integrated with spring. whatever you want to do theres a spring lib to plug in and do it for you

springMVC is good and continually gets better and better

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

c# really is nicer. but you won't care

f# is nicer still (that's because it's ocaml but shh we don't talk about that)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if oracle became hostile towards the jcp or openjdk, then the jcp could become interested in a new "sponsor" for openjdk

sure, but that means openjdk == Java, when the point of a standards body is to permit multiple implementations

as long as the implementation was GPL, as I understand it, because of the TCK license on the core. (I can't see how the JCP determines what's in the core language TCK, but it seems like they must be able to if they have stewardship over Java(tm).)

that's what got Apache out of the process, right? they don't seem happy.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

sure, but that means openjdk == Java, when the point of a standards body is to permit multiple implementations

as long as the implementation was GPL, as I understand it, because of the TCK license on the core. (I can't see how the JCP determines what's in the core language TCK, but it seems like they must be able to if they have stewardship over Java(tm).)

that's what got Apache out of the process, right? they don't seem happy.

sun/oracle refused to let apache use the tck, which meant their alternative java could never be "java." at the same time, the creation of openjdk removed a lot of the motive for harmony to exist

that does raise an important point: oracle owns the trademark, not the jcp. if things really did go down in flames, openjdk and the jcp would continue on their merry way but it wouldn't be Java TM anymore

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sun/oracle refused to let apache use the tck, which meant their alternative java could never be "java." at the same time, the creation of openjdk removed a lot of the motive for harmony to exist

that does raise an important point: oracle owns the trademark, not the jcp. if things really did go down in flames, openjdk and the jcp would continue on their merry way but it wouldn't be Java TM anymore

having multiple implementations of something like Java is pretty valuable, which is probably why Oracle has J2ME and the server/client VM split. heaven knows there's plenty of room in the field of allocator/collector behavior for things to distinguish themselves. (is Azul's stuff Java(tm)?)

if nobody else can build a conforming implementation and say they're an implementation of Java on the strength of the specification, then why does the JSR process spend do much effort focused on interoperability? who's that aimed at? are people making "I Can't Believe It's Not Java" impls and dancing around the trademark license?

maybe I just don't understand something key: what does the JCP control, if not the definition of what is "Java"? if you don't care if your feature is inside that label, why take it to JCP at all? you can already fork OpenJDK and call it NotoriousLang. and if you *do* want it to have that label, it seems like the JCP can't give you that itself.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

having multiple implementations of something like Java is pretty valuable, which is probably why Oracle has J2ME and the server/client VM split. heaven knows there's plenty of room in the field of allocator/collector behavior for things to distinguish themselves. (is Azul's stuff Java(tm)?)

if nobody else can build a conforming implementation and say they're an implementation of Java on the strength of the specification, then why does the JSR process spend do much effort focused on interoperability? who's that aimed at? are people making "I Can't Believe It's Not Java" impls and dancing around the trademark license?
ibm, azul, and others all ship Java TM. They paid Sun money to use Java trademarks and the TCK. Sun originally promised Apache and the JCP that the TCK was going to be completely open and available to all-comers. Then they went back on that promise entirely and started hemming and hawing and attaching addenda to the TCK license after Apache made it clear they were seriously looking at a ground-up reimplementation.

"I Can't Believe It's Not Java" was an option for Apache, but it wasn't consistent with their project goals.

Subjunctive posted:

maybe I just don't understand something key: what does the JCP control, if not the definition of what is "Java"? if you don't care if your feature is inside that label, why take it to JCP at all? you can already fork OpenJDK and call it NotoriousLang. and if you *do* want it to have that label, it seems like the JCP can't give you that itself.
JCP controls the definition of Java, i.e. what goes into the various TCKs. The TCKs themselves have varying licenses. Most are open source but a critical suite isn't.

why bother? because when you do a jsr, oracle, ibm, red hat et al are all obligated to pick up your feature. support turns up in eclipse, netbeans, intellij. it's an ecosystem.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Google forked Java and called it Dalvik, and look where that got them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

Google forked Java and called it Dalvik, and look where that got them.

google and microsoft both forked java into proprietary platforms after protracted negotiations w/ sun. both tried to gently caress over sun. microsoft got their just deserts and forked over billions for their malfeasance. we'll see what happens to goog.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

IOW you can't fork Java

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

IOW you can't fork Java

yeah you should use a spoon or something

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

IOW you can't fork Java
to fork java and not get sued, one of these things must be true:
  • you play ball w/ oracle (ibm, azul, apple did this)
  • your implementation is gpl (red hat)
  • you don't call it java

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Google didn't call it Java, they called it Dalvik.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sun got mad at Microsoft cause Microsoft made a way better vm. oracle got mad at goog cause they litterrally stole everything

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

no, they used to advertise it as java
(not so much anymore...)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

so the deal with harmony is that they wanted to make an open source java with the apache license that was java certified. and sun/oracle would never let this happen because then someone could make money from the trademark without sun/oracle getting a cut. is that about right?

which is why all the stdlib classes are in dalvik.*

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

which is why all the stdlib classes are in dalvik.*

we'll, they didn't change the class library or the language, just the VM

and they renamed the part they did change

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

so the deal with harmony is that they wanted to make an open source java with the apache license that was java certified. and sun/oracle would never let this happen because then someone could make money from the trademark without sun/oracle getting a cut. is that about right?

you can already do that, if your VM is derived from OpenJDK.

does the OpenJDK/TCK stuff apply the same way to J2ME?

edit: it would be utterly shocking to me if TCK license revenues were meaningful to Oracle. I did once interview the guy who set up the browser-toolbar bundling deal for the client VM, though, and he was *super* proud of it, so maybe they just really have to find every cent.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 8, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this was all Sun, in its waning days, board breathing down their backs, whispers of a hostile takeover. no oracle.

at the time, java was open source but not free software. it was available, but only under a set of insanely restrictive licenses. sun was rear end-clenchingly terrified of an apache-licensed java because, in Sun's view, ibm/oracle wouldn't need to stay inside the tent.

at the same time they were feuding with apache, sun was working on every legal wrinkle in going free-as-in-freedom. and thus was born openjdk. with a gpl'ed java, there was peace in the jcp

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

you can already do that, if your VM is derived from OpenJDK.
you can do that pretty much any way you want, but the result will be GPLed and almost certainly a "derived work" of some part of openjdk in order to qualify for TCK licensing

no combination of events will get you an apache-licensed open source Java TM

Subjunctive posted:

does the OpenJDK/TCK stuff apply the same way to J2ME?

i have nfc
not my end of the industry

Subjunctive posted:

edit: it would be utterly shocking to me if TCK license revenues were meaningful to Oracle. I did once interview the guy who set up the browser-toolbar bundling deal for the client VM, though, and he was *super* proud of it, so maybe they just really have to find every cent.
it was never about revenue, it was about control. in the pre-jcp and pre-openjdk eras, incentives were not lined up very well. Sun's licensees had every reason to break free, and TCK licensing was a means to rein them in.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 8, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
another thing to remember about sun vs. oracle: back when sun was independent, and middleware was something people paid money for, they were the #3 java vendor. not a typo. just barely #3, at that. ibm and bea/oracle were the ones making real money on java

it is easier for a post-buyout oracle to chillax because their market position is much more secure than Sun's ever was

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

lol .net dev has an mvc and an orm and thinks its an ecosystem

yeah ok just browse nugget or something

I'm sure all those .net sites are just terrible,e for not having some random Java package, u better tell them!

fwiw I don't really code web crap. webapi owns but most of what I do is figuring out how to store and analyze stuff on azure

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Malcolm XML posted:

fwiw I don't really code web crap. webapi owns but most of what I do is figuring out how to store and analyze stuff on azure

wow, and all this time people thought doing web crap was bad

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Stringent posted:

wow, and all this time people thought doing web crap was bad

it is

take a request in, send a response out, its not that hard or interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the 'well, java has *more* mvc frameworks and orms than the closest competitor :smug:' may be the stupidest post ever made

bragging about whos hooker has more stds