Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Loving that he went on a world-spanning epic journey to find a psychopomp when Annie was just casually introducing Kat to them.

He's looking for more than just psychopomps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

EmmyOk posted:

I think magical space surgery requiring literal scalpels is a pretty weird concept actually. Maybe he cut of his own hand as the sacrifice for it I guess. Also considering his current lack of etheric skills I think there is some dissonance between that and being able to do what is presumably a very difficult etheric surgery across space. Also like I said even assuming the surgery is as literal as a duck we don't know why he did it or even what it was supposed to do.
Has anyone suggested that it was not etheric surgery but Space Surgery merely having a distorted/symbolic appearance within the ether, because everything looks hosed up in the ether?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jackard posted:

Has anyone suggested that it was not etheric surgery but Space Surgery merely having a distorted/symbolic appearance within the ether, because everything looks hosed up in the ether?

I think the doctors could have detected that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yea? How many space surgeons you think they got?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

At least a handful. It's the court.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jackard posted:

That's a neat idea actually! Also I hope the court has a resident Space Surgeon with a name like Spunk Plissken

Speaking of the Annie/Kat divide it is the thing I have been waiting for and dreading for a long time now.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

At least a handful. It's the court.
Well thanks for the thoughtless dismissal man, glad you dropped by

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jackard posted:

Well thanks for the thoughtless dismissal man, glad you dropped by

To develop on your idea and promote discussion. What do you mean by space surgery?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Despite being a surgeon, Tony is never around, and also seems to do a lot of traveling in his research.

It's possible that the Court or his friends (Donlan can summon things) have developed long-distance transmissions for procedures.

Might be unfamiliar with the ether, but using a hybrid technique that dips into it - leaving himself vulnerable in the process.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 7, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

imperialparadox posted:

It's a shame that he had no means to check in from time to time, just to let Annie know that he cares. Maybe one day a solution will exist for this problem.

I think he just simply didn't have cell service, most forests and mountains don't.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

imperialparadox posted:

It's a shame that he had no means to check in from time to time, just to let Annie know that he cares. Maybe one day a solution will exist for this problem.

you notice how the one time he contacted her involved like elaborate James Bond sigint and a disposable untraceable satellite to keep anyone from tracking him down

you probably can't do that every weekend, you'd run out of space rockets

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clearly Tony's greatest crime was shaving off his super cool beard.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Now I kinda want to see a short print comic about one of Tony's adventures, in the vein of Annie in the Forest and Traveler.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I will admit, this page goes a fair way for explaining to me on why Surma hooked up with Tony in the first place. And it's because he was actually pretty good looking.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bongo Bill posted:

He was a handsome guy!
Now he's just some guy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MikeJF posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Anthony had no idea that his experiments were even affecting his daughter in Divine. That maybe he was just trying to track Surma's fire spirit.

Tony did nothing wrong.

But yeah, it's seems more and more this is just a huge misunderstanding caused by Tony not knowing all that much about the ether and being too much of a goon and too depressed over his wife dying to properly communicate his actions to anyone.

imperialparadox posted:

A) Cell phones to call directly into the court probably aren't the best thing while trying to stay hidden from the Court.
B) Would you even get cell service while hiking into the Fantastical Forest of Elf-y Bullshit or the Mystic Mountain Caves of Some Toad Monsters?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 7, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Splicer posted:

Now he's just some guy.

Holy poo poo.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

imperialparadox posted:

Anthony is a very intelligent guy, but I never said he is a smart guy.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A) Cell phones to call directly into the court probably aren't the best thing while trying to stay hidden from the Court.
B) Would you even get cell service while hiking into the Fantastical Forest of Elf-y Bullshit or the Mystic Mountain Caves of Some Toad Monsters?
Why does it always have to be phones and mobile ones at that? Just send a letter, drat it.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Feels like there's some really dark things the Court is up to that would make him avoid it at all costs. He mentions it being foolish to think he could hide from the Court. Any contact with Annie would inevitably lead to him being tracked if they're so omniscient that he never actually managed to escape their surveillance. Of course, that builds the mystery of what exactly the Court is, and why he was so eager to avoid them.

Presumably, he was brought back on the Court's whims, since he didn't want to show his face to Annie, whom he figured must hate him. Since his interests clearly don't align with the Court's, and he seems to have some insider knowledge of their plans (Omega things?), I feel like this return will finally set the gears of the main storyline whirring. After all, the comic is called Gunnerkrigg Court, not Jeanne or Coyote.

Also of note was Surma's seemingly repulsed and defiant wish for Annie to not be born in the Court, while she was also the one who wished for Annie to attend the school. The former could be just attributed to what a cold and uncaring place it is, but why is Annie there? To be cared for by the Donlans?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Fecha posted:

I feel like this return will finally set the gears of the main storyline whirring. After all, the comic is called Gunnerkrigg Court, not Jeanne or Coyote.

Because yeah, 53 chapters and over 1500 pages over 10 years was all set up

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Now he's just some guy.

This needs more attention, wow wow wow.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
You know just think, if Annie and Tony had a great relation this could turn into an father/daughter action magic adventure. Both trying to evade the shadowy organization from their past.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Mazerunner posted:

Because yeah, 53 chapters and over 1500 pages over 10 years was all set up
If the comic is about Gunnerkrigg Court and we still don't know much of anything about Gunnerkrigg Court, then it kind of was.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Fecha posted:

If the comic is about Gunnerkrigg Court and we still don't know much of anything about Gunnerkrigg Court, then it kind of was.

Well we know it grew from the seed bismuth! So the comic's title really is just a roundabout way of saying the story is about the seed bismuth.

It ends when Smitty finds it in his pocket and there's a big panel that reads, "THAT'S WHAT THE STORY WAS ABOUT"

Wikiman
May 30, 2011

Splicer posted:

Now he's just some guy.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuck

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Podima posted:

I could it give it more attention if I got it, but I don't.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

i don't get it :(

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

PubicMice posted:

I could it give it more attention if I got it, but I don't.

Genocyber posted:

No "hand"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Splicer posted:

Now he's just some guy.

:master:

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 8, 2015

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Genocyber posted:

He's going to be allright.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Podima posted:

Oh my god I didn't twig on that the first time around, in-loving-credible.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dogwood Fleet posted:

He's going to be allright.

That doesn't work.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Splicer posted:

Now he's just some guy.

This is a thing of beauty.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Genocyber posted:

You're not alone, I don't get it either. :saddowns:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

You're not alone, I don't get it either. :saddowns:

He was handsome.

He lost a hand.

Now he's just some.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
So, what are the odds the surgery involved was Anthony trying to operate on himself while the "ethereal bone surgery" was an allegory for the breakdown Annie had during/after Microsat?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm giving better than even

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Given that he's interacting with what look like woods people and the shape of the sun, I am wondering if his hand was cut off by a coyote bind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SirSamVimes posted:

Given that he's interacting with what look like woods people and the shape of the sun, I am wondering if his hand was cut off by a coyote bind.

Coyote bit off Tony's arm just so he could make hand related puns about him. I think we can all agree that this was the right choice, because the other choice was left.