Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Speaking of War Master, can anyone make a list of the good Bolt Thrower worship bands? There was a good one from Russia, I forget their name. A friend is finally getting into them after about 30 years of listening to metal and I'd like to give him a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Snowy posted:

Speaking of War Master, can anyone make a list of the good Bolt Thrower worship bands? There was a good one from Russia, I forget their name. A friend is finally getting into them after about 30 years of listening to metal and I'd like to give him a little more.

https://chaosbringer.bandcamp.com/album/turn-into-ruins

Do you mean this one? It's a great album and great worship. As far as another BT worship band I've been listening to recently:

https://camopantsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/visions-of-the-firestorm-eclipse

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

InsidiousMuppet posted:

getting out of metal

lol

Feeling like there's not enough ridiculously catchy death metal in my life. Any recommendations?

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

lol

Feeling like there's not enough ridiculously catchy death metal in my life. Any recommendations?

I know right. Sometimes, they'll text me to ask "what's new in metal?"

The new Kraanium songs are really great so far: https://comatosemusic.bandcamp.com/album/slamchosis

Plus Defeated Sanity is one of my favorite bands and their new song/re-recordings on the reissue of Chapters of Repugnance are also really good:

https://defeatedsanity.bandcamp.com/album/chapters-of-repugnance-deluxe-reissue

I'm also going to repeat that I love the new Convulsing, even if it's not really catchy.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Snowy posted:

Just Before Dawn gets mentioned in the thread once in a while so I suppose you likely know that one.

Apart from that, Shrapnel Storm are pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqk3BM4tQLo

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Humour option: Debauchery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFZtoAzj-ZA

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kilometers Davis posted:

Even the new songs? They’re a lot more straightforward.

Sorry, it was cattle decap I was listening to. I got them mixed up.

It was the Monolith album people were saying was a good starting point earlier. Just couldn’t get through it.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

It was the Monolith album people were saying was a good starting point earlier. Just couldn’t get through it.

Good. You still have the luxury of a first listen of Prowler In The Yard. Get crackin'!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P39rLg8akFI

https://houseofatreus.bandcamp.com/album/into-the-brazen-bull

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

If it helps keep them straight, Pig Destroyer's name is about the badge and gun pig, not the delicious bacon pig

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Snowy posted:

Hail of Bullets

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Can people please post the most hilariously and party burp toilet vocals imaginable.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Snowy posted:

Memoriam is Karl's new band, not as good as Bolt Thrower but a very similar sound and aesthetic

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Memoriam is Karl's new band, not as good as Bolt Thrower but a very similar sound and aesthetic

I do like Karl but tbh Memoriam is a really boring version of Bolt Thrower.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

henpod posted:

Can people please post the most hilariously and party burp toilet vocals imaginable.

On mobile but:
Demilich
Torsofuck
Rompeprop
Cock and Ball Torture
Last Days of Humanity
Disgorge
Pissgrave

Like 8 years ago I found this gorenoise solo project thing called Barbass. Sounded like a paper shredder and a toilet put together. Never found them once my old pc died. They were really lovely and their logo was a rip on Carcass’ old logo.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

henpod posted:

not really toilet burps like in goregrind or whatever but they are cool, and the music sounds like old Von crossed with Revenge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNaEIE584EY

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

A human heart posted:

not really toilet burps like in goregrind or whatever but they are cool, and the music sounds like old Von crossed with Revenge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNaEIE584EY

Main lyrics, 'woh woh woh woh woh woh, 'gagging noise x6'. Would listen again.

Found this on Youtube, pretty good impression of a drain gurgling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiHFtRk9x9w

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oli Pinard, the bassist of Cryptopsy, is now officially a writing/recording member of Cattle Decap as of a few minutes ago. Color me excited - Cryptopsy is one of the few metal bands I know of where I actually notice the bass.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Steve DiGiorgio join Cattle Decap

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
where's the goon that said that he'd never heard bass in metal

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cobra Commander posted:

On mobile but:
Demilich

Demilich is the burpiest of the burps. I have no idea how that dude made those noises.

The phrase "illegal party toilet" came up, I think in the healthcare stories thread for some reason, and I feel like it would be a good name for a band that was all gurgly toilet sounds and downtuned chugging.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Weaponized Cum posted:

where's the goon that said that he'd never heard bass in metal

lol

either his speakers suck or his ears do because I can hear bass even in Nile songs where it's a running joke among the fans that the bass is barely even in the mix and just plays the bottom note of the rhythm guitar riffs.

Cryptopsy has always had a really fat, thunky bass tone especially on the older albums. It's part of what makes None So Vile such a masterpiece, it just adds this extra punch to an already filthy album.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think most people just don’t realize that while you don’t always notice the bass in metal, if you took it away the music would sound extremely weak.

Nile has done this thing where the scoop the guitar eq quite a bit and let the bass takeover a chunk of the midrange. It’s a weird approach but sounds good.

Heres an unrelated good song for the thread,

Wolfbrigade - Nomad Pack

The entire album is only 27 minutes long and full of energy. Definitely worth checking out if you like that track.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 23, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think most people just don’t realize that while you don’t always notice the bass in metal, if you took it away the music would sound extremely weak.

it's also why everyone starting out on guitar dimes the bass on their lovely little practice amp because they don't know that recorded guitar on its own is like 90% midrange

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am 100% aware that music would be flat without a bass guitarist back there rocking out.

My hearing is just so shot I can't pick what they're doing out of everything else that's going on unless it's specifically mixed to make it apparent. It's not like the drummer where every person on the planet can identify when the snare drum gets hit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like a nice raspy bass, like in the band Overkill. Motorhead would be a good band to hear bass in, though that may be cheating.

Here's some Overkill, easier to notice the bass with it's raspy tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG5MLkAF3qM

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

lol

either his speakers suck or his ears do because I can hear bass even in Nile songs where it's a running joke among the fans that the bass is barely even in the mix and just plays the bottom note of the rhythm guitar riffs.

Cryptopsy has always had a really fat, thunky bass tone especially on the older albums. It's part of what makes None So Vile such a masterpiece, it just adds this extra punch to an already filthy album.

He was probably just listening to like nuclear blast bands or whatever

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

henpod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voupzIeOUm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj2NAtZ8dJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CCwxx2MO8M

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's also why everyone starting out on guitar dimes the bass on their lovely little practice amp because they don't know that recorded guitar on its own is like 90% midrange
That and most cheap speakers emphasize bass and treble response at the expense of midrange, and most bedroom guitarists sit so close to their amp that the mids have no room to breathe anyway

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Vulture Culture posted:

That and most cheap speakers emphasize bass and treble response at the expense of midrange, and most bedroom guitarists sit so close to their amp that the mids have no room to breathe anyway

Riffs are like wine, you gotta aerate them

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nile has done this thing where the scoop the guitar eq quite a bit and let the bass takeover a chunk of the midrange. It’s a weird approach but sounds good.

Heres an unrelated good song for the thread,

Wolfbrigade - Nomad Pack

The entire album is only 27 minutes long and full of energy. Definitely worth checking out if you like that track.

This was awesome, reminds me of Power Trip who are also awesome.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

A human heart posted:

Or black metal.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Didn’t a lot of 80s metal have really low bass?

E- ps thanks for the bolt thrower worship, I love it

Snowy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 24, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

To Battle posted:

Or black metal.

So you listen to bad black metal then? There's plenty of bands with prominent bass.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

What is it with that label? Is it in the contract that you need lovely undynamic production?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Riffs are like wine, you gotta aerate them
Anyone who's ever stood up front at concerts all their life before moving to the back of the venue knows where the best sound lives

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian

To Battle posted:

Or black metal.

someone hasn't heard Nattens Madrigal

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

saviro posted:

someone hasn't heard Nattens Madrigal
My favorite part about Nattens Madrigal's production is how the acoustic instruments are beautifully, perfectly, dynamically recorded. It's like a preemptive gently caress you to anyone who might be thinking the Talkboy-quality sound on the other parts was out of laziness or incompetence

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Vulture Culture posted:

Anyone who's ever stood up front at concerts all their life before moving to the back of the venue knows where the best sound lives

I’ll take being an arms reach from the band over peak sound when I have the option.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowy posted:

There was a bit of a fad around then to scoop the mids on guitars, and treble was definitely in fashion (treble boost was a thing on walkmans before bass boost won forever), so the end result was a massive amount of treble. But because of that scooping, a lot of the low end on guitars came out as well and is why early Metallica sounds like you're listening to it through a wall. But not everyone went over the top with it, Judas Priest kept a pretty good tone.

This one always amuses me, the guitar intro has garbage tone and you can hear these little "doop doop doop" farts from the bass trying to make itself heard. The little riff that comes in around the 30 second mark is loving comedy tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRRA5KGaSi4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

a lot of that had to do with recording technology available at the time and limited budgets, plus everyone having to figure out as they went along how to record and mix heavier music