Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

A great Zelda game will make you feel like you're a small child who's packed a few snacks and a book in your shoolbag, grabbed a stick you can pretend is your sword, and headed off into the woods to play and explore.

Zelda 2, like all my favorite Zeldas, has that in spades.

yeah, i'd agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escape Goat posted:

Nintendo included some save states on the newest virtual console releases, which I thought was kinda lame. But maybe playing Zelda 2 would be more accessible if you're leveled up with a save state?

I also learned a year or two ago that some FDS games had better sounding music than their NES versions, including Zelda 2. Completely blew my mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFV694m5HZQ.

is that the version they have the japanese switch nesflix? next time i sign up i might give it a spin

edit: holy poo poo that fds game over :eyepop:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 23, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Nice thread, think I'll lurk until Majora's mask gets debated.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

No debate, it's the best one.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Yup, well, I personally feel that there are two main types of Zelda games and Majora's mask is the finest example of one and BotW is the prime example of the other.
But I eagerly await a rebuttal.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Captain Hygiene posted:

No debate, it's the best one.

If BotW had something resembling dungeons/temples instead of 120 micro dungeons and 4 small areas that all look the same, it would handedly Majora's Mask for me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

If BotW had something resembling dungeons/temples instead of 120 micro dungeons and 4 small areas that all look the same, it would handedly Majora's Mask for me.

That'd make it top tier for sure, but the use of the time loop mechanic make MM hard to beat for me, especially since I normally hate restricted timers. It's so different though, it's sorta tough to rank against the others I guess.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RickRogers posted:

Yup, well, I personally feel that there are two main types of Zelda games and Majora's mask is the finest example of one and BotW is the prime example of the other.

Majora's Mask is alright, Wind Waker is more fun for me personally.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

RickRogers posted:

I don't know if there's another game in the BotW category. The closest one is the original Zelda. Wind Waker? Ocarina of Time?

For me, BotW is kind of its own thing. It has the trappings of the Zelda franchise but they're not at all essential to the central conceit of the game (i.e. exploring, climbing, going wherever, etc.) BotW is conspicuous in that it disregards most of the "established" history of the franchise and lives in its own bubble. If anything, it's a reboot of the original game that pays homage to the games before it. As a Zelda game, as we've come to know them, it's so radically different that it's hard to compare it but if I had to, it's middle-tier. It doesn't add much to the mythos (preferring to stay on well-tread ground), only Zelda grew as a character (the Champions are fairly one-note and Link is his silent self), the antagonist is more of a force than a personality, and most of the landmarks are bog-standard for a Zelda game. It doesn't innovate the franchise all that much, to be honest.

As an instrument of fantasy adventure, however, it surpasses every other Zelda game by light years and is a contender for GOAT. If it's the best "Zelda," it's because Zelda, at its core, is about believing you can defeat the vast forces of darkness and rescue the princess while only having a rusty sword, broken shield, and most importantly, your wits. BotW is the example, par excellence, in that regard.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

BotW the best Game that is called Zelda but it might not be the best Zelda Game.

BotW is one of my favorite games of all time, much higher than any other Zelda game, but it's not the most representative of the franchise.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Let’s pray it is going forward.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just gimme more BoTW games in it's own Zelda universe- they've done it with other Zelda games, there's no reason for them not to continue BoTW games after BoTW2.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

majora’s mask is the greatest game ever made

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There're a lot of good ideas that BOTW 2 could revisit that were originally featured in MM.

Every weapon breaks after three in-game days

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Chronojam posted:

Lol, yes and why not Goron races?

Yeah, I lump BotW, and Windwaker together. And I suppose the original. I haven't played the CDI games, so maaaayybe them too.

I don't think any other Zelda game, nay game, has more pressure on it and actual potential as BotW2

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RickRogers posted:

Lol, yes and why not Goron races?

Yeah, I lump BotW, and Windwaker together. And I suppose the original. I haven't played the CDI games, so maaaayybe them too.

I don't think any other Zelda game, nay game, has more pressure on it and actual potential as BotW2

Goron races and swimming around as a Zora electrocuting poo poo.

Also hookshots.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Inferior Third Season posted:

I just watched the SGDQ Zelda 2 reverse boss order run. I didn't realize that speedruns of it were in a "glitched mode" for most of the run, where none of the floor or background tiles are displayed correctly, so the runner needs to memorize where everything is just to move around without falling in lava or bottomless pits. It's crazy. I remember seeing the five minute tool-assisted speedrun years ago that is totally bonkers from all the glitches, but didn't realize speedrunners were able to do similar things in real time.

Was also a bit surprised that she killed Thunderbird first. It didn't even occur to me that it could be glitched so badly that she could go all the way to the end of the final palace so early. I just assumed the reverse boss order meant the reverse order of the normal dungeons and then to the final palace.

Well worth a watch, I think.

The most insane thing done at a gdq was the guy who beat Symphony of the Night while blindfolded. He even was able to use the menus by rote memorization.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

RickRogers posted:

It's up there. Most of the early Blizzard games were instant-classics so Diablo II, Warcraft III, and Starcraft II were all hugely hyped up. Final Fantasy 8 had to follow 7's genre-defining story. Halo 2...

BotW2 is going to have to take a Majora's Mask approach and be completely different. MM was following OoT, already being considered GOAT (at the time), but instead of giving more of the same, it went in a totally different direction. There is no re-capturing the novelty of the first game. What BotW2 will have to do is amp up what made the first great and then spin it toward another end entirely. Different tone, different mechanics, and hopefully, just off-the-rails plot. If the rumors of Link's hand being possessed, alien invasions, and playing as Zelda are true, I think we're getting there.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hey I would be fine with BotW2 being the Majora's Mask to BotW's Ocarina of Time, considering Majora's Mask was the best Zelda before BotW.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you took every shrine in BotW you would have more puzzle-y “dungeon” content than MM and OoT put together.

RickRogers posted:

Uh, I dunno about that. Anything coming after Ocarina of Time had to be something like Majora’s Mask i.e. to weird to be judged fairly, because the expectations for Zelda games completely pivoted after that. Ocarina of Time was essentially a completely different kind of video game at the time.

I think most people are genuinely hoping for “BotW, again, but with real dungeons”, no one is expecting a genre defying twist here, I don’t think.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I read through the 4chan BOTW2 “leak” a few months ago and I’m really hoping they’re right about playable Zelda. Hot swapping Zelda and Link, each with different skillsets sounds awesome. And if by miracle they allow two player co-op...but that’s probably a bridge too far.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I read through the 4chan BOTW2 “leak” a few months ago and I’m really hoping they’re right about playable Zelda. Hot swapping Zelda and Link, each with different skillsets sounds awesome. And if by miracle they allow two player co-op...but that’s probably a bridge too far.

Only if it runs the castlevania route of yelling the name of the character who is about to be tagged in every time you swap.

"ZELDA!"
"LINK!"

e: Bonus if this is the only voiced dialog of Link the entire game besides grunts and shouts.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 24, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

romanowski posted:

majora’s mask is the greatest game ever made

Chronojam posted:

There're a lot of good ideas that BOTW 2 could revisit that were originally featured in MM.

Yeah, like having actual dungeons that don't suck.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

DelphiAegis posted:

Only if it runs the castlevania route of yelling the name of the character who is about to be tagged in every time you swap.

"ZELDA!"
"LINK!"

e: Bonus if this is the only voiced dialog of Link the entire game besides grunts and shouts.

If Link's shout isn't just his "SHAAAAAA" from OOT I'd be thoroughly disappointed.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

BOTW was the first Zelda game that I played for more than an hour. I have Link’s Awakening, but it’s kind of meh. The shrines + beasts seemed like a good balance of puzzle content, but maybe I should go play the other games to see what came before.

I really want two-player co-op in BOTW2 and would happily buy two copies of the game so I can play with my kid but don’t really expect it to happen.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the entire map from skyward sword placed above and freely transversible from the entire map of breath of the wild. also i'm 23 and i have a full head of hair and i am a respected pipelayer in my local Gorean community

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
also ten THOUSAND fucks to that camel. gently caress. gently caress!!!!!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

If you took every shrine in BotW you would have more puzzle-y “dungeon” content than MM and OoT put together.

Uh, I dunno about that. Anything coming after Ocarina of Time had to be something like Majora’s Mask i.e. to weird to be judged fairly, because the expectations for Zelda games completely pivoted after that. Ocarina of Time was essentially a completely different kind of video game at the time.

I think most people are genuinely hoping for “BotW, again, but with real dungeons”, no one is expecting a genre defying twist here, I don’t think.

Though I think it is like OoT again, and now we know what they can pull out of the bag I personally am expecting MM levels of surprise and greatness.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Loucks posted:

BOTW was the first Zelda game that I played for more than an hour. I have Link’s Awakening, but it’s kind of meh. The shrines + beasts seemed like a good balance of puzzle content, but maybe I should go play the other games to see what came before.

I really want two-player co-op in BOTW2 and would happily buy two copies of the game so I can play with my kid but don’t really expect it to happen.

A Link to the Past is the quintessential top-down Zelda, and its sequel, A Link Between Worlds on 3DS, is excellent as well.

For the 3D Zeldas, you might enjoy Wind Waker, but the HD version is preferable, as it fixes some tedious bits of the original. It's trapped on the Wii U, though (for now), so it's understandable if you don't have access to that one. Barring that, try Ocarina of Time 3D (also on 3DS). It is to 3D Zeldas when Link to the Past is to the top-down ones, and the standard against which other 3D Zeldas are judged.

If you don't like any of those, then you probably won't like classic Zelda.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

RickRogers posted:

Though I think it is like OoT again, and now we know what they can pull out of the bag I personally am expecting MM levels of surprise and greatness.

Not sure if MM is a good bar here since it was deeply controversial and still fairly disliked to this day, I imagine it'll just be more of the same but with slightly more polish.

Mario Galaxy 1 compared to Mario Galaxy 2, is what I'm expecting.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

also ten THOUSAND fucks to that camel. gently caress. gently caress!!!!!

I said no camel fucks, that's ten thousand camel fucks! Can't you count?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

BotW2 should do something where turns out BotW1 is the dark world and they find a way to transport to the light world that is much more vibrant and full of life but so has our piggy friend.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The Dave posted:

BotW2 should do something where turns out BotW1 is the dark world and they find a way to transport to the light world that is much more vibrant and full of life but so has our piggy friend.

i want this to happen just to see the timeline purists heads explode.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Vikar Jerome posted:

i want this to happen just to see the timeline purists heads explode.

IT WILL ALL FIT IN ONE TIMELINE AND MAKE SENSE!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The Dave posted:

Also Link is a pink bunny again.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Not like it’s gonna bother mapping this out or anything but I really don’t think this is true. The vast majority of shrines are repeated combat stuff, blessings, or just a singular room/puzzle that were always giving me a feeling or “seriously that’s it??”. I felt like, no hyperbole, maybe 20 of the 120 shrines I did were substantial in any way. This of course isn’t even touching that dungeons obviously have more appeal to them than simply being distilled down into the puzzles you do within them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've said it before but the shrines are fatally flawed for me in that they're all disconnected, so even if there were more with actual puzzle content I'd still prefer more traditional dungeons because there's zero build or flow to the shrines by their very nature. You can get into a dungeon as it ramps up variations on its theme, but the shrines have to be way more generalized because you can (mostly) find them in any order, at any time in the game.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I played BotW 80% handheld so I really enjoyed the bite sized shrine. Felt like I could get stuff done on my 10 minute breaks.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
As someone who hates all* Zelda dungeons, I definitely preferred the bite-sized shrines.

*Stone Tower was ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'd like BoTW 2 to have actual boss variety, it sure was fun to have every boss just be a Ganon blob monster, Calamity Ganon was just a robot spider blob instead.

Don't even get me started on that lovely Giant Pig form, that was the worst final boss I've ever seen in a Zelda game, and may well be one of the worst video game bosses in general.