Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why would you do any of that

i am going to be moving soon and be without access to a full desktop environment. the deck is capable of it theoretically and will be staying with me rather than being boxed up

Tiny Timbs posted:

it already has arch on it dumbass

which is read only and poorly supported in its preinstalled condition. installing anything not in the pac man is a big ol pain and can get wiped with every OS update

King Boo posted:

If you have a dock you can try running update/upgrade over Ethernet and see if it can pull the drivers from the repo, assuming that's the problem ofc

i got the sabrent usb c dock so i could attach my external storage. it does not have ethernet but i did tether to the dock and get it to the newest kernel, firmware, and let it run all updates. same thing on manjaro to no effect

also its fine for you all to just say you don't know, you don't all always have to be rude

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
It has Distrobox built in. Make an Ubuntu image, install whatever you want and then distrobox-export to desktop. Thats how i run VS Code. There is also Brew.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If you haven't heard of N64 Recompiled, it's a project aiming to create native PC ports of every N64 game with a method called static recompilation. The first release is Zelda 64: Recompiled. This version only supports Majora's Mask, but Ocarina is coming next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWwUuWRgsM

This is being done with the Steam Deck in mind, as they have details for installing on the platform and setting up gyro controls. Basically you just grab and unpack the Linux release, add it as a non-Steam game, then launch it and point it at your ROM.

This is pretty wild. In theory is it possible the same type of thing could be done for the Saturn?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is it read only? My Mod Organizer 2 install isn’t a flatpak and it’s stuck around since December.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

harrygomm posted:

has anyone had any luck dual booting their deck?

i used gparted to set aside some space after a factory reset and got Mint up and running. problem is the network card/chip is done dual wifi/BT Qualcomm 765 or another and even with the latest firmware and kernel, it won't even see my network or mouse. live environment or installed.

i'm trying manjaro live too since it's also based on arch and the network/bluetooth work fine in desktop and gaming modes on the native install

I got it running with Arch, using valve's pacman repos, and linux kernel/firmware. The arch wiki had information and a guide about. Wifi and Bluetooth work fine, but I used a different adapter during the install. The display panel is not oriented top up, which was annoying. I also had to use the steam deck recovery image and start over at one point.

As to why, I didn't want to deal with kde, flatpacks, valve wiping stuff in updates, etc. My computers are pretty old at this point but I've never been motivated to upgrade as I never played games on it or did anything intensive, so it is a pretty big upgrade haha.

I didn't become a Linux user to make sensible choices.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

CatHorse posted:

It has Distrobox built in. Make an Ubuntu image, install whatever you want and then distrobox-export to desktop. Thats how i run VS Code. There is also Brew.

i'm too dumb to stay in terminal all the time. thank you for introducing me to that tool though it's really neat.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is it read only? My Mod Organizer 2 install isn’t a flatpak and it’s stuck around since December.

the filesystem is. more important when you want to use it as a daily machine

Fools Infinite posted:

I got it running with Arch, using valve's pacman repos, and linux kernel/firmware. The arch wiki had information and a guide about. Wifi and Bluetooth work fine, but I used a different adapter during the install. The display panel is not oriented top up, which was annoying. I also had to use the steam deck recovery image and start over at one point.

As to why, I didn't want to deal with kde, flatpacks, valve wiping stuff in updates, etc. My computers are pretty old at this point but I've never been motivated to upgrade as I never played games on it or did anything intensive, so it is a pretty big upgrade haha.

i should have just looked there first. i have an OLED which is only supported on one specific kernel in a Valve repository. i think i can figure out the rest from there, thanks

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

harrygomm posted:

i should have just looked there first. i have an OLED which is only supported on one specific kernel in a Valve repository. i think i can figure out the rest from there, thanks
Mine is also an OLED model, forgot to mention that. I may have installed the actual kernel version installed in the regular install of steamos?

I wasn't left too confident in it, so I got a micro SD card just to do more comprehensive backups of the whole install, but I haven't got back into playing with it for a while.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can use nix to install just about anything, and it lasts across updates because the nix storage is under the deck user’s home directory. As long as you don’t care about custom kernel versions or such, you can do whatever you want.

(Valve added a /nix symlink in a recentish major OS update to facilitate this.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

harrygomm posted:

the filesystem is. more important when you want to use it as a daily machine

This is actually all the rage with new “immutable” distros now apparently lol

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
I have been daily driving the desktop mode for 5 months. What am I missing with the system filesystem being read only?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It just means you can't change anything outside of /home, which you aren't going to need to do on a fixed platform where you don't need to do kernel patches or whatever.

If you don't want to use KDE then I guess you have to load another distro. I can't think of any other reasons why at the moment.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Suburban Dad posted:

Same question. I applied the update because I have some desktop stuff to do later but we'll see if it bricks itself. Decky didn't have any updates last I checked butt maybe steam fixed something on their side? May be wishful thinking.

Follow up: update installed fine. Decky was fine and everything works like it always did.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I can't think of any other reasons why at the moment.

Fools Infinite posted:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Anybody having problems with the battle.net launcher? I had trouble getting it reinstalled last night but finally made it through (had to keep trying different proton versions for the installer) and even booted a game. Now I can't get it to even load.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 12, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Fools Infinite posted:

Distrobox literally is immune to valve wiping stuff, lmao

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like steam literally comes with the binary for it too lmao

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I see you score above the average for LMAO per post as well!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

I see you score above the average for LMAO per post as well!

I've run the numbers and this checks out

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

habit i picked up from the zoomers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

After buying a replacement battery months ago I finally got around to actually going through it last night. TL;DR - god I hope they dont glue so much poo poo on the Deck 2.

Getting the backplate, shielding, and disconnecting the cables wasn’t bad. The “light adhesive” on the cables was a little stronger than you’d think but you just take your time. The battery on the hand was a pain. It’s REALLY glued to the bay so heating it then messing with the tabs to cut through the glue was fun in a I sure hope I dont start a fire way

This is fine

Success. But why stop there? I had also bought a thermal pad to replace the paste the deck came with. Removing the heatsink, cleaning the old paste, and placing the new pad (forgot to take a photo of this) took a whole 5 minutes and was actually the easiest part of the whole thing.

It lives! And the battery is working great! No more random drops. I let it fully charge last night and now I’m fully draining it so it can get a full charge and calibrate.

The ifixit kit to get all this poo poo done was great. I definitely appreciate Valve having these options available for DIY repairs.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Long live ifixit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

Long live ifixit

My MBP from 2013 is still ticking thanks to them 🫡

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

alexandriao posted:

Do not apologize for lmaoing, lmao.

e: or lol for that matter.

kek is unforgivable however

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

alexandriao posted:

how quickly?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Vic posted:

Do not apologize for lmaoing, lmao.

e: or lol for that matter.

kek is unforgivable however

This post is

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

how quickly?

:emptyquote:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Anybody having problems with the battle.net launcher? I had trouble getting it reinstalled last night but finally made it through (had to keep trying different proton versions for the installer) and even booted a game. Now I can't get it to even load.

Works fine now reinstalling everything through lutris. Annoying to have to do it all again and hopefully I nuked the correct directory for the game that I installed previously. Otherwise 50gb are sitting somewhere...

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Suburban Dad posted:

battle.net started making GBS threads the bed on me around October of last year, which, coincidentally is around the same time Diablo 4 came out on Steam, and I took that as an indication that perhaps Microsoft views the Steam Deck and Proton Linux as unsupported hardware/OS

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My old install is still working just fine (for Diablo 4) it had an update for both the launcher and D4 but aside from that it's still running/booting just fine. What proton are you using with it?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

So just catching up with this thread: is it safe to go to desktop mode if I have Decky installed or not? I'm a bit confused by the posts I've seen recently.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

remembered that killer7 got a steam port thats actually good so i got it on my steam deck
the keyboard and mouse controls are kinda rear end but the recommended steam deck layout is great

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

alexandriao posted:

Distrobox literally is immune to valve wiping stuff, lmao

On the other hand 3.6 has updated podman that breaks old containers. They need to be recreated.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

Rosalind posted:

So just catching up with this thread: is it safe to go to desktop mode if I have Decky installed or not? I'm a bit confused by the posts I've seen recently.

I just did this in order to update decky and it hosed up when I restarted into gaming mode.

I did the volume +/- & power button to restart but the deck got stuck on verifying installation screen.

Then I just held power down till the thing shut off and it booted fine like 5 minutes later, go figure.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh poo poo whats this about decky? last night i updated my deck and decky + plugins to the latest version. should i have not done that

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

If you can go into both gaming and desktop modes you're fine, but there was a strange update pushed on the stable channel that was labeled beta? And it broke decky and since that point going into desktop mode has failed for me

I can try it again right now for science but I haven't seen any update pushed since to make me think it won't black screen me again.

Desktop mode by default opens the Steam client which auto-updates which got people in the same boat, sounds like for most users it would be hard to avoid having it happen by this point? Are there tons of posts about this right now?

If you have only been using gaming mode on stable client and haven't updated and the update offered says beta I would avoid it.

I'll try to do desktop mode now, for science. Since I've done the special button press dance twice already

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I installed whatever update was available today, and had no issues going in and out of desktop mode fwiw.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I don’t have Decky, and it still took me a couple tries to get past the black screen in desktop mode.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If I go through that guide to mod Fallout New Vegas on the deck, does that disable achievements? I've played NV multiple times, but it was way back, on the 360. Now, as smooth as it already runs on the deck, I'd love to throw on some graphical or QoL things, but I'm also aiming to 100% it, achievement-wise.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If I go through that guide to mod Fallout New Vegas on the deck, does that disable achievements? I've played NV multiple times, but it was way back, on the 360. Now, as smooth as it already runs on the deck, I'd love to throw on some graphical or QoL things, but I'm also aiming to 100% it, achievement-wise.

You might have to install a mod to enable achievements. I don't remember Bethesda games need those or not. You need one for BG3 and Pathfinder WotR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I can get into desktop mode now and fix decky so I guess things are good :shrug: