Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

The Phillips screws on my '80 Suzuki

Issue #1: they're JIS. Get yourself the right tools for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I think the cheese-metal carb screws are intentional, tbh. The carbs are made of very soft cast aluminum or zinc, and even a tiny crack will ruin them, so it's better to strip the screw than risk overtorquing and breaking the carburetor body.

I think.

e: but yes definitely some of the reputation comes from using Philips bits on JIS screws. They are not truly compatible with each other and the difference in shape will exacerbate the Philips' designed-in tendency to cam out and strip.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How on earth are you supposed to know which is which?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
JIS screws have a little dot on the head:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
That being said, the drivers for either will work with either. You do have to be careful with a phillips driver on a JIS screw, as they tend to chew them up in short order.

I actually prefer a JIS tip for phillips head screws because the non-cam out action of the JIS tip gives you a touch more purchase on the screw.

Source: fixed Japanese photo printers that exclusively used JIS screws for just a shade shy of a whole decade.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 7, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dagen H posted:

Dentside Ford trucks had the built-in underhood tool trays.

you're gonna need 'em :newlol:

I was one of the first people to buy this Subaru radiator cover with a built-in tool tray:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/radiator-shrouds/grm-096005-grimmspeed-radiator-shroud-black

Now I wish I had held onto that and put it on my later Subarus. It was a little too small for my ratchet, though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

I know an Åke, and this is just the sort of poo poo he would pull.
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › Horrible Mechanical Failures: I know an Åke, and this is just the sort of poo poo he would pull.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

I've heard Volvo was one of the worst offenders of "bizarro European engineering", but the entire ECU? Not just the fusebox?

You should see where GM sticks the ECM on some Corvettes.

(... passenger side wheel well)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dagen H posted:

How do you pronounce 'JIS'?

Is it 'jizz'?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

STR posted:

You should see where GM sticks the ECM on some Corvettes.

(... passenger side wheel well)

Completely standard on several Mazda models from the late 90s to mid 2000s.

Not common, but not super rare either, was the car that was towed in with the dash lit up like a christmas tree because someone had kicked the ECM connector hard enough to knock it loose.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Every time I see ECM my brain parses it as electronic countermeasures.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Every time I see ECM my brain parses it as electronic countermeasures.

I've been so thoroughly programmed by Shadowrun and William Gibson novels that any time someone's talking about the ICE in America, I have to remind myself they're not talking about Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
I still think the award for worst ECU placement goes to the Isuzu D-Max/Holden Rodeo with the 6VE1 3.5L V6.

Heat? Check.
Vibration? Check.
Premature failure? Check and mate.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The Ford 6.0L Powerstroke just asked me to hold its beer for some reason.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dave Inc. posted:

It's the actual ECU.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?336713

Step 3 is disconnecting the ECU harness. Step 14 is removing the hidden torx screw that holds the harness to the airbox. Step 18 is disconnecting the radiator top mounts to give the airbox clearance to be removed.

Step 19 is unbolting the engine mounts and sliding the engine back an inch if you still don't have enough room to pull the box.

It reads worse than it is--only takes about 15 minutes if you can manage to brute force the box out instead of giving it nice, easy clearance--but still. I really liked that car but I absolutely hated working on it.

I know an Åke, and this is just the sort of poo poo he would pull.

It would also appear that in order to change the oil filter cartridge, one also has to go through this rigmarole. Lame.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FatCow posted:

The Ford 6.0L Powerstroke just asked me to hold its beer for some reason.

The 6.0L has said that so many times it has blown through a case of beer.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Colostomy Bag posted:

The 6.0L has said that so many times it has blown through a case of beer.

And it's all pooled in an egr cooler and pissing out an injector.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

metaxus posted:

I still think the award for worst ECU placement goes to the Isuzu D-Max/Holden Rodeo with the 6VE1 3.5L V6.

Heat? Check.
Vibration? Check.
Premature failure? Check and mate.

The early chevy 6.5L diesel did something like this. I dunno, early 90's, I think. When they went to the style with the electronically controlled injection pump. They put the controller on the engine and, what would you know, they have issues with all those things! There's actually a factory relocation kit for them...

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

BloodBag posted:

It would also appear that in order to change the oil filter cartridge, one also has to go through this rigmarole. Lame.

It would make it easier, but you can get access by just removing the boot on the side of the airbox where it connects to the fresh air intake. I always remember hating that thing, though, because you had to push and turn with a bellows duct against a flexible hose to put it back together, so it was like pushing one rope with another rope.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dagen H posted:

Issue #1: they're JIS. Get yourself the right tools for the job.

Yeah, I know that now. 15 years ago when I first got it and started fixing it, I had no idea JIS existed. Why in the gently caress would you use a fastener head type exclusive to your country for a machine destined for export?
Anyway, thanks to the impact driver, I'd wager that they're loving Phillips now.
Thanks for reminding me to buy some JIS drivers and bits, though, since I have a whole pile of Mazda RX-7s and the AE86 that undoubtedly use them.

Dagen H posted:

Thanks. Did not know that.
Also, apparently, while a Phillips will gently caress up a JIS, you can safely use a JIS driver on a Phillips.

Geoj posted:

That being said, the drivers for either will work with either. You do have to be careful with a phillips driver on a JIS screw, as they tend to chew them up in short order.

I actually prefer a JIS tip for phillips head screws because the non-cam out action of the JIS tip gives you a touch more purchase on the screw.

Source: fixed Japanese photo printers that exclusively used JIS screws for just a shade shy of a whole decade.

Well, there you go.

Well, now, this is interesting. This article says that JIS is extinct, quoting Vessel as saying so.
Not sure what that's about.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was one of the first people to buy this Subaru radiator cover with a built-in tool tray:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/radiator-shrouds/grm-096005-grimmspeed-radiator-shroud-black

Now I wish I had held onto that and put it on my later Subarus. It was a little too small for my ratchet, though.

My wife's Kia has a pair of smaller pockets like that on the filler panel between the rad and grille. Handy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Allens in old VW/Audis turn to swiss cheese, but the Triple Square and Torx bolts always come out easy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dagen H posted:

:aaa:

I had no idea. Are they all like that?

Talking about soft bolts, ditto on the old UJMs. I once rounded the bolt head for the oil filter housing on my old Honda CX500 and I ended up saying gently caress it and kept the same oil filter in it for about 2 years before I got around to taking it off. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with those fasteners made out of surplus aluminum foil. I didn't even tighten it hard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Allen heads are the devil's work in anything needing more than minimal torque.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

spog posted:

How do you pronounce 'JIS'?

Is it 'jizz'?

It's "jay-eye-ess" :colbert:

And one of the pieces of equipment I work on (Fuji DEVO) has T7 screws with reduced head depth. They strip so easily, the first instruction in the manual for removing the back cover is "order 20 new screws."

InitialDave posted:

Head depth matters alot too. Euro manufacturers love that poo poo though.

The best is american companies who engineer all their machines to use SAE screws then use an OTS European or Japanese component that has Metric screws, and is secured by metric screws.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 7, 2018

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

slidebite posted:

I had no idea. Are they all like that?

According to wikipedia "Heads are usually identifiable by a single dot or an "X" to one side of the cross slot"
For a moment, I was confusing JIS with pozidrive

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've never encountered a JIS screw with an "x" on the head, they've all been dots.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

InitialDave posted:

I thought I was the only one, since all of the car shows I watch talk about Allen head screws as though they were just as good, if not better than normal bolts

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
They are everywhere on bicycles and they are terrible.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

They are everywhere on bicycles and they are terrible.

There may or may not be an Allen screw on my bike that was converted into a flathead screw with a cutoff wheel after being completely chowdered

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Shimano used to give out Vessel JIS drivers at Interbike because otherwise apparently no one had any idea about them. Once I got one it became my favorite screwdriver.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
One benefit of allen head is that you can also use the pound-a-torx-into-it-to-get-it-out method after you completely strip it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The Door Frame posted:

There may or may not be an Allen screw on my bike that was converted into a flathead screw with a cutoff wheel after being completely chowdered

builds character posted:

One benefit of allen head is that you can also use the pound-a-torx-into-it-to-get-it-out method after you completely strip it.

Guilty on both counts.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Iridium posted:

i have no context for this, but knew it belonged here.

This is from way the hell back but that looks like a Subaru engine and clutch. I had the exact same thing happen to mine shortly after buying it because the slave cylinder took a poo poo and wasn't releasing all the way. My mechanic showed me a picture that looked almost identical to that one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

I thought I was the only one, since all of the car shows I watch talk about Allen head screws as though they were just as good, if not better than normal bolts
People mistakenly assume socket-head cap bolts are "better" than regular hex bolts because they're exposed to a lot more cheap poo poo hex bolts.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers that I just use on every philips and they work great.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

People mistakenly assume socket-head cap bolts are "better" than regular hex bolts because they're exposed to a lot more cheap poo poo hex bolts.

Simple leverage tells you the further out from the centre you apply your force the better.

Also I found a new use for 12pt sockets, they hold square nuts nicely.

As to why I'm using square nuts? Well I have no excuse there, they're crap.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Brigdh posted:

According to wikipedia "Heads are usually identifiable by a single dot or an "X" to one side of the cross slot"
For a moment, I was confusing JIS with pozidrive

Poz my Phillips drive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A horrible thought I just had, that will send chills down your spine:

External Phillips drive

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
External JIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
If you use the right size 'screw', that wouldn't be too bad.

Worst crime is building a device that requires screwing at an angle to reach but is designed as a flush mount. Tons of railings do this.