Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nalesh posted:

So we've found out today that not only is Pat and Woolie blind, they're also deaf, cause god drat it that wolf howl is not hard to miss :v:

Did they every miss it, I thought Pat was on point when it came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dias posted:

Did they every miss it, I thought Pat was on point when it came up.

No there were like six seperate instances where the wolf howl happens and they just straight up ignore it

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
The big thing that bugged me was them having the bible and access to two batteries to recharge it and then not abusing that. Or going back to it before doing the boss.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Pat even explicitly mentioned that batteries do that, but Pat also loves to give good advice that he has received but not yet internalised.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
I was actually inspired to load up Binding of Isaac (the original, I fell off after a while and didn't really feel up to getting the later versions) and using some of Pat's advice beat Mom's heart on my first run. Thanks, Pat!

I never quite know how to deal with games like this, Darkest Dungeon and to a lesser extent Nuclear Throne, where there's a ton of secrets and obscure interactions and the game is pretty hard/unforgiving. When I was playing BoI I was still in the mindset of "never look up anything", but with those latter two, I said gently caress it, and looked up stuff I didn't understand and had a much better time. I'll probably get the newer Isaacs at some point and give them a try that way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

By original, do you mean the original flash game version? Or Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, the remake with pixel art that's actually really good. Cause I strongly recommend picking up Rebirth if you're playing the flash one. Not so much Afterbirth/A+ necessarily, since they have quite a few bad design decisions.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoX9enz2e3A

New machinima vid and cute new intro

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The Yak 0 vid killed me. I am dying of laughter.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

I think Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ kinda hosed the original progression, stuff like Big Horn and Rag Man and rooms with a bunch of champion monsters when you haven't even made it to Everthing's Terrible is pretty bad.

Yeah, I think the clear intent is to get the expansions after you've played enough to come to grips with the base game. Also the spawners from Afterbirth+ are just lovely, and are the reason it's the first Isaac expansion I passed on.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

Genocyber posted:

By original, do you mean the original flash game version? Or Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, the remake with pixel art that's actually really good. Cause I strongly recommend picking up Rebirth if you're playing the flash one. Not so much Afterbirth/A+ necessarily, since they have quite a few bad design decisions.

Yeah, the original flash one, I've always been meaning to get Rebirth but it's just been a low priority compared to trying new stuff, but it's moved up on my radar now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

davidHalestorm posted:

I've been playing RE7 along with watching Matt and Patt and other people playing as well. And the AI on the enemies seems to have a wide range of options when chasing you. In my game, while I was running around from Jack in the dining area, he broke through the wall and caught me while I was in the corridor, that didn't happened in their game. Likewise, I didn't know that Jack can cut your feet and then taunt you with your own severed foot since that didn't happened in my game. Also, in the attic Mia fight, one lp'er immediately run and hide in the gun room once Mia bust through the roof and Mia broke the wall behind them. It's pretty neat.

It's a shame all this stuff is super front loaded. Last half of the game it kinda falls off and there's no real variation.

Depths posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoX9enz2e3A

New machinima vid and cute new intro

On the topic of a new intro, I know that it would take time to make a totally new one but I think they probably should. There's so many 4player references that it being a man down is kind of... empty.

That and I feel like including a Liam joke kinda goes against his "I don't want to be tied to 2bfs at all" wish.

Iunno probably overthinking it.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 29, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd bet Liam gave them permission to do that gag.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Burkion posted:

I'd bet Liam gave them permission to do that gag.

Agreed, and while I know Liam wants his superstream to rise on his own merits, that's not the same as pretending he was never in SBFP. I think the main thing is he doesn't want to cross promote his new thing on SBFP, which is reasonable; something like Liam appearing on the podcast as a guest would feel super weird.

I think it's nice that for a time the intro still pays homage to Liam's contributions over the years.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 29, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, I really do not like this "lose maximum hp" mechanic of DS2.

Is Pursuer supposed to be fought right after the last giant?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Yes, but you don't have to do it right now. If you're having trouble there's *something* in the boss room you can use to your advantage. Otherwise there's another path from Majula to a different area you can try first.

Dunno how effective it is now, but you can try leaving your small white soapstone in places to get summoned. You only need to kill a few enemies for it to be a success and to be sent back with your human form.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Yes and no. You can always go say hi to the guy in Heide's Tower. He's a lot easier but like genocyber said there's some things in the boss fight room that make him easier. Heide's the zone is kinda rough unless you have a strike weapon/upgrade your weapon a little.

Did you ever play demon's souls? There's a cling ring like thing that'll make the max hp drop be 75% instead of 50% you need to find.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

havenwaters posted:

Did you ever play demon's souls? There's a cling ring like thing that'll make the max hp drop be 75% instead of 50% you need to find.

Never played DeS but a friend was mentioning this ring, is it something I can find at this point, or is further in?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Never played DeS but a friend was mentioning this ring, is it something I can find at this point, or is further in?

Yeah it's in Heide's tower somewhere.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I feel like I've missed a lot in the Forest; after getting the soldier's key from the Last Giant boss I unlocked the door above the bonfire, grabbed the items up there then peaced out. I didn't know there's be more doors to unlock with it. Certainly haven't seen the Pursuer yet.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I feel like I've missed a lot in the Forest; after getting the soldier's key from the Last Giant boss I unlocked the door above the bonfire, grabbed the items up there then peaced out. I didn't know there's be more doors to unlock with it. Certainly haven't seen the Pursuer yet.

you missed a couple doors though one is a dead end/red phantom npc invasion and the other you won't be using for awhile.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Pursuer is one of those bosses you can definitely do right away, or come back to him later.

The hollowing system is kinda balls, but in addition to the ring in Heide's Tower that lets you half the penalty, human effigies are generally plentiful. You can also do co-op to get back to full, though obviously that's less of a reliable option than it once was.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Oxyclean posted:

Once you get the ring of sacrifice death basically becomes a 3k souls tax. Until then...

Genocyber posted:

Yes, but you don't have to do it right now. If you're having trouble there's *something* in the boss room you can use to your advantage. Otherwise there's another path from Majula to a different area you can try first.

Dunno how effective it is now, but you can try leaving your small white soapstone in places to get summoned. You only need to kill a few enemies for it to be a success and to be sent back with your human form.

Genocyber speaks the truth, abuse the poo poo out of the Small White Soapstone.

auto e: The video Billy linked at the end of Parasite Eve 2 owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpdtcvAx0cQ

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DumbparameciuM posted:

Once you get the ring of sacrifice death basically becomes a 3k souls tax. Until then...

14k if they're playing the SotFS version. On top of the initial purchase cost since you can only get two (one of each variant) and from merchants.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

You can also do co-op to get back to full, though obviously that's less of a reliable option than it once was.

The game is stacked to the rafters with summon signs, bloodstains and hints right now, like they are piled on top of each other a dozen a time, so this seems to have been a good time to start. Either that or DS2 is having a brainfart and just displaying everything possible when it really shouldn't be, because the sheer density of online markers is just goofy. I don't really know what is normal.

I seem to lose connection after an hour or so and have to quit out to reconnect, which is not the biggest ballache but a pain nonetheless.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Found the enemies at Heide's tower a bit of a pain for me to deal with, so I stuck with Pursuer a bit locker. The summon sign suggestion was good, I've been getting summoned somewhat reliably. Found the thing in Pursuer's room, that was cool, made use of it while helping someone, but when I summoned someone for help we just ended up beating him to death. :v:

At the area post Pursuer now, working on Ruin Sentinels, helped someone get it, but couldn't find any non-npcs to help me.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Genocyber posted:

14k if they're playing the SotFS version. On top of the initial purchase cost since you can only get two (one of each variant) and from merchants.

I was talking about the repair cost, I'm hoping that is what you were referring to and SofFS made death less trivial in DaS2 because that poo poo was ridiculous. After I got the first one in Vanilla DaS2 I don't think I ever went hollow again.

Auto E: If I'm being unclear, vanilla DaS2 allowed you to repair Rings of Sacrifice Ring of Life Protection after they'd broken, allowing you to retain your souls and human state as long as you could afford the 3k it cost to repair the broken ring. Yes this was a scum tier tactic

Second e: The wiki page confirmed that they made the repair cost for it 14K in SotFS, this is a good thing.

Third e: Matt wasn't kidding about the Laura Palmer Funco Pop figure

DPM fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 30, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Those donuts were amazing.

This whole car thing was really good!

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 30, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wow, there's actually a deus ex style approach to bosses in RE7, wtf

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sellsword NPC with two shields is a cool dude. I feel a little bad for walking over that boss with two summoned npcs but I'm sure as hell not going to let a humanity go to waste. One primal bonfire down. :toot:

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 30, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
That was a seriously good boss, I'm glad that they did it both ways.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

boy are my arms tired posted:

some minor re7 spoilers if you care: its actually not explained at all, it's just goofy resident evil nonsense

it can be assumed that ethan does have a virus within him but its never explicitly mentioned, no

:wow:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm not a big resident evil person but that convinced me to duck out of this playthrough until I have a chance to actually play the game.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Jack's a pretty fun stalker (to borrow Haunting Ground's term), when he popped up to chase me, as soon as I turn the corner, he yelled out, 'AH, gently caress IT' and went the other way. That made me laughed.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
I'm glad at least someone's bringing sick burnouts to the medium of VR

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
God that cop was a loving idiot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, I wasn't sold on RE7 until that boss fight, holy poo poo that was loving amazing.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

Forgall posted:

God that cop was a loving idiot.

Eh, Ethan already knew he was suspicious, he could've been a bit more co-operative. "What are *you* doing here, deputy?" was really pointless.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nalesh posted:

So we've found out today that not only is Pat and Woolie blind, they're also deaf, cause god drat it that wolf howl is not hard to miss :v:
No they're just idiots. They've called themselves out on this constantly in Bloodborne.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I totally missed that Outbreak reference when playing, that's a pretty cool thing to include.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

HGH posted:

I totally missed that Outbreak reference when playing, that's a pretty cool thing to include.

I think my favorite reference is the Whataburger cup in the trash can during the first sequence with Jack.

I only travel to the south once in a while but whataburger owns owns owns