Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm not helping, so I'll stop ribbing you. It's just that that kind of accusation is huge and seemed way out of left field as a casual reader of the thread

I mean my context here is that literally everyone I know IRL and online, has in some capacity warned me about Something Awful Forums, and basically every single poster I've thought was funny in the last five years I've been here, when I mention it to the old heads (especially the queer ones and the women) they pull out their giant goons.xlsx and list off all the weird, racist, lovely, misogynistic things that poster has done. It's a fair assumption that maybe half of the people here are reregged to try and distance themselves from their long and varied history of weird lovely posts spanning decades, and the stated reason of why Jeffers refused to put in "pronoun fields" is very openly because it would expose that a bunch of the forum are in fact TERFs.

So with that context, I figured it was much cleaner to just ask up front about why the person is being hostile and hopefully get an honest response (of whatever kind), rather than doing a whole little dance around it every single time I post in this thread in the future, or in a thread they happen to be in. Personally I don't give a poo poo which of the options they choose, if any, I was just hoping for some semblance of reason why. It wasn't meant to be a trap or an accusation, and I can see how it comes across like that, so I am sorry about that.

Tenkaris posted:

:lmao:

I don't know anything about you except the way you post in this thread, lady. But thanks for the accusation of bigotry :thumbsup:

I mean, as I say above, it wasn't meant as an accusation -- based on what I've been told by people who have basically been here from the beginning, those are overwhelmingly the most likely options. Regardless, I'm sorry for how they came across :P

e: :laffo: at this being an accidental snipe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i think they just didnt like your post

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Anyway, problem solved. I'll stop posting in this thread except to give specific Linux advice.

e: vvvvv

Tenkaris posted:

You can post, just don't expect to be a jerk and not get anything back? golden rule?? Don't dish out what you can't take? It's not that complicated :shrug:

What exactly was I "dishing out". Did you seriously think I was saying "git gud" unironically?

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 13, 2024

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

alexandriao posted:

Anyway, problem solved. I'll stop posting in this thread except to give specific Linux advice.

You can post, just don't expect to be a jerk and not get anything back? golden rule?? Don't dish out what you can't take? It's not that complicated :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

alexandriao posted:

L8r m8

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't know who anybody is or care and just post about video games. :v:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

While some us likely have lovely opinions about social issues, the one guarantee is that we are all unfunny assholes who will run anything a tiny bit amusing into the ground

For steam deck content: Hades 2 looks and plays great. I've played about 20 hours and only reached the antagonist once, because I am bad at Hades. I suspect the slow progress is actually good for me, so I get to hear all the character conversations about how glacial my progress is - I know in Hades 1, some can get missed or pushed-back if you are easily smashing out complete runs starting from the beginning

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

alexandriao posted:

I mean my context here is that literally everyone I know IRL and online, has in some capacity warned me about Something Awful Forums, and basically every single poster I've thought was funny in the last five years I've been here, when I mention it to the old heads (especially the queer ones and the women) they pull out their giant goons.xlsx and list off all the weird, racist, lovely, misogynistic things that poster has done. It's a fair assumption that maybe half of the people here are reregged to try and distance themselves from their long and varied history of weird lovely posts spanning decades, and the stated reason of why Jeffers refused to put in "pronoun fields" is very openly because it would expose that a bunch of the forum are in fact TERFs.

So with that context, I figured it was much cleaner to just ask up front about why the person is being hostile and hopefully get an honest response (of whatever kind), rather than doing a whole little dance around it every single time I post in this thread in the future, or in a thread they happen to be in. Personally I don't give a poo poo which of the options they choose, if any, I was just hoping for some semblance of reason why. It wasn't meant to be a trap or an accusation, and I can see how it comes across like that, so I am sorry about that.

I mean, as I say above, it wasn't meant as an accusation -- based on what I've been told by people who have basically been here from the beginning, those are overwhelmingly the most likely options. Regardless, I'm sorry for how they came across :P

e: :laffo: at this being an accidental snipe

I think spending some time off the internet will probably be a good idea, it sucks poo poo and makes us all depressed and anxious.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Has anyone else noticed a little click/hitch when you first apply any directional pressure to one of the thumbsticks and bothered to try doing anything about it? I don't know if it's got goo in it or if it's intentional, but both sticks do it and it's surprisingly loud in a silent room.

Thinking I'll turn it off and spray some isopropyl in it when I get home, but I have a feeling I'll have to take it apart to get under the shields.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 13, 2024

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i havent noticed anything like that on mine

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, that sounds weird and bad.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

:mad:

Well alright, gonna see how isopropyl goes. I just dodged $1200 in car work to replace the seatbelt latches on the front seats of my car by spraying alcohol and jamming Q-tips into the mechanisms (the contacts were dirty and the SRS circuits were stuck open), so let's see what else I can fix by just dousing it in contact cleaner.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 13, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Squiggle posted:

Has anyone else noticed a little click/hitch when you first apply any directional pressure to one of the thumbsticks and bothered to try doing anything about it? I don't know if it's got goo in it or if it's intentional, but both sticks do it and it's surprisingly loud in a silent room.

Thinking I'll turn it off and spray some isopropyl in it when I get home, but I have a feeling I'll have to take it apart to get under the shields.

Did you replace the sticks with the hall effect ones that required soldering?

The tiny cable you solder in place has to be carefully positioned so as not to catch on the stick mechanism. If it does, it causes a slight hitch/catch when moving it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Annath posted:

The tiny cable you solder in place has to be carefully positioned so as not to catch on the stick mechanism. If it does, it causes a slight hitch/catch when moving it.

Nah stock, and I hesitate to even call it a hitch - I can feel the tiniest of vibrations accompanying the sound. But that doesn't mean they put the thing together right themselves, so that gives me something to look at tonight.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Annath posted:

I have some Hall effect sticks I've been procrastinating on putting in for about 18 months now, I should take notes for when I install them eventually in 2027

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i thought the stock sticks *were* hall effect
also, semi-related, weren't hall effect joysticks invented by a youtuber, or something? i remember being recommended a video where some guy seems to come up with them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hbag posted:

also, semi-related, weren't hall effect joysticks invented by a youtuber, or something? i remember being recommended a video where some guy seems to come up with them

Na they have been around forever

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

hbag posted:

The Dreamcast had hall-effect sticks in 1999, thus proving once again that the Dreamcast is the best console ever made.

EDIT: the gently caress, apparently the Sega Saturn 3d controller had them too, so there goes that theory

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 13, 2024

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Hell, the Saturn analogue pad had them before that in 96. And they remembered six face buttons and a good dpad!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Hall effect stick replaecements got updated so you dont need to solder them anymore which is kinda nice. As for the click, do the sticks give you any resistance / do they not reset back to center at certain angles?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Squiggle posted:

Yes. I have the hall effect mod.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Squiggle posted:

The Dreamcast had hall-effect sticks in 1999, thus proving once again that the Dreamcast is the best console ever made.

EDIT: the gently caress, apparently the Sega Saturn 3d controller had them too, so there goes that theory

No you were right first time, on account of the fact that the Dreamcast has hall-effect sticks AND Crazy Taxi.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As for the click, do the sticks give you any resistance / do they not reset back to center at certain angles?

No, thankfully! No hindrance at all, and there's no centering issue or extra play to them. It only ticks when moving from dead center, and I can tick it without leaving the inbuilt deadzone. I'll definitely investigate it now, thanks thread.

Bumhead posted:

No you were right first time, on account of the fact that the Dreamcast has hall-effect sticks AND Crazy Taxi.

:hmmyes:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

thr only "hall effect" I recognize is when you go on the arsenio hall show and everybody in the dog pound starts going crazy and hollerin'

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Blew through Animal Well including the vast majority of the game's "Layer 2" puzzles. It's pretty good but I feel other games do the same thing pretty well, I wouldn't say this breaks new ground. Definitely has a lot of the same ideas Lone Fungus had.

Hades 2 runs great, plays great. It's great.

V rising likely next up for me now that it has proper controller support.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Possibly Down the Bunburrows, La Mulana 2 or Environmental Station Alpha though... Animal Well really got me wanting more mystery and I never did beat Mulana 2. They all seem like fun games that would go great on the deck.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Returnal's on sale and I'm deeply considering it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

thr only "hall effect" I recognize is when you go on the arsenio hall show and everybody in the dog pound starts going crazy and hollerin'

woof woof woof woof

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DildenAnders posted:

Why do weird nerds always have to fight when discussing Linux issues?
Answer hidden in the question.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i need more games for my steam deck so i can play it in bed sometimes and never take it anywhere because every carrying case looks like a giant "rob me" sign

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Waffle! posted:

You should get it, it's pretty good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Waffle! posted:

No idea how that runs on the Deck, but it's one of the best exclusives the PS5 had and for good reason. If you like hard games, if you like gameplay mechanics designed by some of the best in the industry, this is your game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It looks like poo poo on deck

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hbag posted:

i need more games for my steam deck so i can play it in bed sometimes and never take it anywhere because every carrying case looks like a giant "rob me" sign

Just order one of these for $10

https://m.shein.com/us/Men-s-Multif...p-10246638.html

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

dont shein use child labor

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hbag posted:

dont shein use child labor

its ok, youre too old for them

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Waffle! posted:

It looks cool but doesn't seem to run well on the deck so idk. Buyer beware and all that.

hbag posted:

How can anyone see the carrying case from inside a backpack? Are you carrying it around by the handle like a purse?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Mat Cauthon posted:

It looks cool but doesn't seem to run well on the deck so idk. Buyer beware and all that.

How can anyone see the carrying case from inside a backpack? Are you carrying it around by the handle like a purse?

no, i was planning to get a different carrying case for it that i can wear over my shoulder or something because i dont really wanna wear a backpack whenever i bring my steam deck somewhere

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hbag posted:

no, i was planning to get a different carrying case for it that i can wear over my shoulder or something because i dont really wanna wear a backpack whenever i bring my steam deck somewhere

reusable shopping bag? broomstick and bindle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

reusable shopping bag? broomstick and bindle?

$10 bag from SHEIN!