Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So what is the current hotness? I've heard of balatro as being a steam deck must have. Obviously i already have vampire survivors, deep rock survivors, and brotato.

What else is a simply must have for those quick little dopamine hit games that run and feel designed for the steamdeck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You just tie each end of a length of twine around the analogue sticks and throw it over your shoulder

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Kwolok posted:

So what is the current hotness? I've heard of balatro as being a steam deck must have. Obviously i already have vampire survivors, deep rock survivors, and brotato.

What else is a simply must have for those quick little dopamine hit games that run and feel designed for the steamdeck.

It is not new, but I just started playing Hades on the deck and it is amazing, also my first experience with the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kwolok posted:

Balatro should do you for like 100 hours

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I bought an SD card with the aim to stick windows on it and experience the joys of windows with slow r/w and short lifespan but now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should whack emudeck or something on there instead...

Does the Deck handle 360 stuff well? I'd want to pop crackdown and viva pinata tip on there primarily if I went down the emu route.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s pretty poo poo

Viva Piñata got a pc port though so you could probably just source and play that if you were already gonna jump through some :filez: hoops

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kwolok posted:

Hades 2 is in early access so I jumped back on Hades because I want to wait for the proper release.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

History Comes Inside! posted:

You just tie each end of a length of twine around the analogue sticks and throw it over your shoulder

Walking down the street with my deck slung round my back like an old traveling folk singer

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Tetris Effect

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kwolok posted:

It's not particularly new but I've been preaching about Tiny Rogues for a week or two. I've put like 25 hours into it already. It was $5 on sale and currently still in early access but it feels fully fleshed out. There's so many classes to play and I still find new gear all the time that I've never seen before. It's a bullet hell... and heaven game (avoiding poo poo but it will auto aim for you, you just need to hold down attack) with diablo itemization. If you like diablo type games, hades, or gungeon I think there's a good chance you'll like this one.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Got my second Steam Deck just now after returning the first one since the left track pad was insane and was 3x as loud and powerful. New one seems to be much better. :toot:

Now I just gotta keep myself from finding some other nitpick.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Got Tale of Two Wastelands running last night, so there go my next 150 hours of free time probably

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Boar It posted:

Got my second Steam Deck just now after returning the first one since the left track pad was insane and was 3x as loud and powerful. New one seems to be much better. :toot:

Now I just gotta keep myself from finding some other nitpick.

How's the Bluetooth latency?! Perceivable? What did you score on your last hearing test?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Beastie posted:

How's the Bluetooth latency?! Perceivable? What did you score on your last hearing test?

Imagine hating women this much.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Beastie posted:

I am not getting into this discussion.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Protip for New Vegas: Set gyro controls to activate on Left Trigger Soft Press and (iirc) set them to mouse mode instead of analogue stick mode

Also turn off the awful analogue stick deadzone with the "Remove Controller Stick Deadzones" setting in the lStewieAl's Tweaks and Engine Fixes mod

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 14, 2024

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Protip for New Vegas: Set gyro controls to activate on Left Shoulder Soft Press

:psyduck:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I do this for every game with ADS, it's great. Or even third-person games where you're aiming with a bow or gun

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Protip for New Vegas: Set gyro controls to activate on Left Trigger Soft Press and (iirc) set them to mouse mode instead of analogue stick mode

Also turn off the awful analogue stick deadzone with the "Remove Controller Stick Deadzones" setting in the lStewieAl's Tweaks and Engine Fixes mod

Dumb question but if you are a broken person like me who has had to use inverted Y look ever since they played StarFox 64, do I want to invert my gyro y?

I'm thinking no and that's what I set, I'm sure it will be obvious if I made the right choice once I load in and try it real fast anyways but just wondering, I haven't done much gyro stuff yet

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Returnal runs like poo poo on the Deck, I don't have moonlight set up but seems like a prime candidate for it

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I proudly own Inverted Y as part of my gaming roots on DOS flight simulators

nothing broken about that, gamer :cheers:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tenkaris posted:

Dumb question but if you are a broken person like me who has had to use inverted Y look ever since they played StarFox 64, do I want to invert my gyro y?

I'm thinking no and that's what I set, I'm sure it will be obvious if I made the right choice once I load in and try it real fast anyways but just wondering, I haven't done much gyro stuff yet

Ok well I'm a weird case because I recently switched from a lifetime of playing with inverted aim to non-inverted aim as a sort of self-improvement project BUT gyro can be tricky because before that I preferred inverted aim + regular gyro. They're fundamentally different interactions with the device so that preference wasn't surprising to me. You're probably going to have to mess with the settings a bit to get something you're comfortable with, but don't feel pressured to dig into the super detailed setting stuff.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wizard2 posted:

I proudly own Inverted Y as part of my gaming roots on DOS flight simulators

nothing broken about that, gamer :cheers:

I partially blame indie devs not taking the 2 seconds to put inverted control options in their Unity games for my switch lol

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

People who play inverted should be rounded up and put into camps

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Squiggle posted:

People who play inverted should be rounded up and put into camps

I politely disagree, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

:patriot:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I do this for every game with ADS, it's great. Or even third-person games where you're aiming with a bow or gun

that's impressive. my shoulder buttons aren't even analogue

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Atoramos posted:

Returnal runs like poo poo on the Deck, I don't have moonlight set up but seems like a prime candidate for it

Yeah it’s a really hard game to run on any mobile stuff.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
Regarding Hades 2, does anyone else have the problem that quitting from the main menu simply doesn’t work? I constantly need to exit the game via steam button - Hades 2 - exit game. There’s no data loss, but it’s somewhat annoying.

Game is fantastic otherwise though and (like Hades 1) perfect for the deck.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I know everyone is Hades'd up but Rabbit and Steel plays great on the deck if you want your simulated MMO raid/bullet hell mechanics with cute rabbits.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

How's V Rising on the deck?

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

MuLepton posted:

Regarding Hades 2, does anyone else have the problem that quitting from the main menu simply doesn’t work? I constantly need to exit the game via steam button - Hades 2 - exit game. There’s no data loss, but it’s somewhat annoying.

Game is fantastic otherwise though and (like Hades 1) perfect for the deck.

Yeah same behavior for me as well. I chalked it up to the Early Access Experience.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there a trick to getting games to show higher resolutions automatically when docked or do you have to go in and adjust the games default resolution for every game you want to play in a res higher than 800p?

So take hades. Playing at 800p handheld, dock the deck and it’s still at 800p on my 4K tv. And I have no option to select a higher resolution in game. So I have to go to the game settings in the deck UI and choose 1080p or higher then go back into the game and change resolution.

I also feel this is gonna gently caress up my handheld resolution when playing now lol

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is there a trick to getting games to show higher resolutions automatically when docked or do you have to go in and adjust the games default resolution for every game you want to play in a res higher than 800p?

So take hades. Playing at 800p handheld, dock the deck and it’s still at 800p on my 4K tv. And I have no option to select a higher resolution in game. So I have to go to the game settings in the deck UI and choose 1080p or higher then go back into the game and change resolution.

I also feel this is gonna gently caress up my handheld resolution when playing now lol

This has been happening to me as of late and it has to be a bug

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Disappointing Pie posted:

In your game settings/properties (on SteamOS) is your display resolution set to Default? I think that locks it to 800p for some reason regardless of how you’re playing. Choosing Native I think is what makes it change based on your current display (when you open it). Or you can just manually pick the resolution each time.

I’m not home so I can’t mess with options to find out but I recall running into this issue a while back when setting up Moonlight to adjust resolution when docked.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tenkaris posted:

It depends on how your brain interprets what gyro aiming is. For me, I'm using the steam deck like a camera, trying to point it at something. If I need to look left, I'm pulling my left hand closer and pushing my right hand out like I would to make a camera look left.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stick for broad movement, gyro for finer aiming.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i still cant get used to gyro controls. you're telling me you either tilt your screen so you cant see poo poo or swivel your whole upper body to aim? and it's still gonna be shaky as gently caress unless you have the fine motor skills of a literal god. how do you do precision aiming with that

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I need to take a second look at the settings. I set the Gyro to act as a joystick not a mouse because I thought that setting it as a mouse would confuse the game. (New Vegas was made to be controller or keyboard, but not both at the same time. Even with the tweaks that make it possible it still is a little janky.)

So with it set as a joystick, I noticed when I was holding the trigger to ADS that the stick no longer seemed responsive, only the gyro. Wondering if having it set as a stick like behavior either makes it constantly send input to hold it in a position or takes over the joystick input while active.

The poster who suggested it said to use mouse, so I'm assuming it's just because I didn't follow their directions to the T.

I'll find out shortly when I have a break and can fire the deck up and experiment.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 14, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hbag posted:

i still cant get used to gyro controls. you're telling me you either tilt your screen so you cant see poo poo or swivel your whole upper body to aim? and it's still gonna be shaky as gently caress unless you have the fine motor skills of a literal god. how do you do precision aiming with that

Some of us just played Splatoon on the Wii U and got cursed to have gotten good with gyro controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

hbag posted:

The way you’re imagining gyro sensitivity and the way gyro sensitivity works are very different things. As folks above said, sticks for big movement and then just adjustment nudges in a direction by tilting your grip the slightest little bit. You’re not sitting in an office chair spinning 360 degrees in a 1:1 movement sort of thing.