Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
When we swapped my dads tranny we.. uhm.. well..

We didn't have ATF handy. But we had gear oil. Sticky shifts, hard 1-2 shifts, and on cold mornings it didn't want to get into 1st at all. Once I hunted down and swapped in Redline MTL, night and day difference.

I run syncromesh in the SHO, and granted its a different car altogether, I would like to try some redline in it. MTL in my miata made a huge difference, I couldn't even feel the gates anymore.

And the penzoil syncromesh and GM stuff is identical. Friction modifiers get a bad rap from people putting them in hypoid gear trannys, which is verboten.

Also - its bad when you have a dream, wherein Corky Bell as played by Chip Foose tells you to buy more turbo parts, right?

iscariot fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Does anyone have any experience replacing a seatbelt? The drivers belt in my NA is frayed and getting worse, and it's starting to annoy the piss out of me. How complicated is it to replace the belt?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
While I haven't replaced one, I did have to unbolt it to install my roll bar. It's actually not that hard. Once you get the trim panels off there are a few bolts holding the reel in. I think you just take those off, unbolt the guide and unbolt it from the bottom where it's connected to the floor.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

The Third Man posted:

Does anyone have any experience replacing a seatbelt? The drivers belt in my NA is frayed and getting worse, and it's starting to annoy the piss out of me. How complicated is it to replace the belt?

Hog Obituary posted:

While I haven't replaced one, I did have to unbolt it to install my roll bar. It's actually not that hard. Once you get the trim panels off there are a few bolts holding the reel in. I think you just take those off, unbolt the guide and unbolt it from the bottom where it's connected to the floor.

Ummm, it IS rather simple... You've got to pull the panel off the pillar (the black plastic piece behind the seat,) and from there, it is, as Hog Obituary says, just a couple bolts and it comes right out (and you have to unbolt the bottom part too since it's fastened in two places).

A word of caution though... those seatbelts have a cheapo plastic cap that holds the tension spring in. BE CAREFUL!!!! I had to pull one in mine as well and the cap had started splitting. It basically exploded when I pulled it out of the hole the tensioner sits in and sliced the gently caress out of my fingers when the coil unwound... :emo:

Personally, other than getting sliced and diced, the hardest part about swapping the belt out was getting the cover trim back on... it's kinda awkward.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Oh, here's Hard Dog's roll bar install instructions which explain in detail how to get at the seatbelt: http://www.bethania-garage.com/hbs_m2s_m1m2hcht_xtreme.htm

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Awesome, thanks man, that should be pretty helpful. Is it possible to buy OEM seatbelt replacements, also? Or is it easier to just replace the whole reel/assembly with some universal 3-point deal.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Does anyone have the picture of the two chubby dudes going wild on the track while riding in a Miata?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

destructo posted:

God, even the car looks happy.

Dukkha
Jun 16, 2003
focus... on the pool.
The miata sold for 500 in a matter of hours :( Better than 200 I suppose, and it went to a SPEC racer, so hopefully at least some parts of it will live on. Thanks again for the advice guys.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Dukkha posted:

The miata sold for 500 in a matter of hours :( Better than 200 I suppose, and it went to a SPEC racer, so hopefully at least some parts of it will live on. Thanks again for the advice guys.
Your Miata will see more fun in the next thousand miles than it has its entire life :unsmith:

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

destructo posted:

this is me basically every day lately :shobon:

except without the other dude, just me being happy alone in my car

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I'm the same way, even with the finicky shifts I spend the whole time I'm driving grinning like an idiot. It's just so drat fun to drive.

edit: confirm that in warm weather the car shifts beautifully. It's a little grindy, and by a little, I mean you can feel it engage the gears in second and third instead of just feeling it slide in place like in fourth and fifth.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 24, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dukkha posted:

Just goes to show how much of a cock the mechanic was for lowballing at $200.

If I were in your shoes I'd demand that the seller send me pics of it getting turned into a proper racecar.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doubleposting for random interesting fact: I just replaced the Duralast battery in my '99 and while the old one was, as far as I can tell, a rebadged Westco (grey case, hooked up identically to the vent tubes, etc - lasted over four years in AZ!) the new one looks like Duralast got it from another supplier. It has differently laid-out vent tubes (they're rectangular now), but conveniently comes with a kit to adapt them up to the factory part.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Posting this here, I am desperate to get rid of my Miata.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3219381

Anyone in Orlando can come take a look if you want to get ITB ideas, by the way. :)

eknomf
Jan 1, 2005
Where around the west coast typically has the best market for inexpensive earlier NA Miatas? I'm in the Portland area and things around here and Seattle seem a bit overpriced compared to elsewhere (especially California I've noticed). I don't mind going a ways for a good deal(got my last $300 car about 1000 miles away) so I'm wondering if there is any markets in particular I should be watching. If anyone has any good leads on one for sale let me know.

eknomf fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 28, 2009

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can now see why Mazda JP was pissed when Mazda USA did the Mazdaspeed Protege and Miata. It's just so :effort:.

Redline is at 6500rpm, the boost kicks in around 4k, there's no oil pressure gauge (just that retarded dummy one), and the short-ratio 6-speed runs out of room in 2nd at 45ish mph.

It's a nice car, etc. But it's just so :effort:.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Post how many times you've replaced your slave cylinder.

The OEM one lasted 18 years, I replaced mine last summer and it took a poo poo already :argh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Twice, but the second time I think it was me misdiagnosing a leaky master. First one went somewhere around 60-70k, second one was around 90k followed almost immediately by the master.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Just the once right after I bought it, but it was a huge bitch because the union nut between the steel hardline and the cylinder would not come lose, and I ended up rounding the oval office off. Luckily a good friends dad has a lift in his garage so we threw it on that and cut the cylinder off the line and re-flared it and put a new nut on. God that sucked. Was a bitch to bleed, too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bought the car at the end of June with 86k, and I've replaced mine already. Pretty much the first thing I had to replace.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Third Man posted:

Was a bitch to bleed, too.

Get a Mityvac, worked great when I did the master and bolted it up without bench bleeding.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

destructo posted:

The OEM one lasted 18 years, I replaced mine last summer and it took a poo poo already :argh:

Once on my mom's 91 Miata and once on my 95. Both have held for a awhile now, knock on wood.

The first went out in downtown during rush hour as I was getting toward the freeway and the second went when I was on my way to an incredibly important meeting one morning. Super fun. At least the job is stupid easy.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

destructo posted:

The (first and only) PO had to replace the slave cylinder on my 95 at something like 50k miles IIRC. I'd have to look it up to double check, but somewhere around there. It's at 84k now and I haven't had to replace it again... yet.

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007
What is the general consensus on the suspension package option? Is it worth the price hike up to the touring trim?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are you talking about an NC?

If so, the suspension package includes an LSD and fairly bad valved Bilistens.

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007

Phone posted:

Are you talking about an NC?

If so, the suspension package includes an LSD and fairly bad valved Bilistens.

Yep.

Is there any real advantage to having the six speed either?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

dblepost

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 30, 2009

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

It's worth it for the LSD.

Purple Haze PS3 posted:

More shifting, if you're into it.

-NC/suspension owner.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Purple Haze PS3 posted:

Yep.

No real advantage afaik. I'd have to look up gear ratios, but it probably has 6th gear as an overdrive.

The suspension package is worth it for the LSD.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Phone posted:

No real advantage afaik. I'd have to look up gear ratios, but it probably has 6th gear as an overdrive.
Sixth is an overdrive, but is slightly lower than 5th on the 5MT. Fifth is 1:1, exactly the same as 4th on the 5MT.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 30, 2009

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Interesting, why do you think they lowered the reverse on the 6mt?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

destructo posted:

Interesting, why do you think they lowered the reverse on the 6mt?

So that it performs better in the all-important reverse drag races?

I'm betting that's just how it worked out, not any decision that reverse needed to be taller.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Now that I look at the image I posted, (from 2010 model) it looks like they've mucked around with the gearings since the 06 model. The 6MT used to be geared slightler lower than the 5MT in top gear, now it's a little higher.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Good weekend :)

Route we took west of Madison, WI

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Anybody running an aftermarket headlight wiring harness here?

I just installed my E-Code hellas with 80/100 bulbs (amazing, btw), but I can't figure out how to wire up my harness since the battery is in the trunk. Is there an easy way to run the wiring back there or can I run them off of something similarly heavy duty? (starter?)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
gently caress YOU gently caress YOU FUCKYOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

destructo should be able to help you out, though.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Blaise posted:

Anybody running an aftermarket headlight wiring harness here?

I just installed my E-Code hellas with 80/100 bulbs (amazing, btw), but I can't figure out how to wire up my harness since the battery is in the trunk. Is there an easy way to run the wiring back there or can I run them off of something similarly heavy duty? (starter?)

Been a while since I looked but there should be a terminal/bolt in the engine compartment fuse box that you can wire your 12v to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Suniikaa posted:

Been a while since I looked but there should be a terminal/bolt in the engine compartment fuse box that you can wire your 12v to.

Really? Something which will allow me to draw 200w?