Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

bc87 posted:

Eve online is probably the only game where it has potential to feel like a second job.
Online poker was pretty much like this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Beelzebub posted:

Cross-post from the Making Games Megathread... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2711122&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=84

I posted this a while back in this thread, but have recently came back to it to make some improvements.

"Anyway, to help learn Python I've been working on a space shooter for a while. It's pretty horrible, but I'm surprised I've got as much out of it. The goal is to have ten zones with three acts each. Right now I've just got one that ends right before the boss fight I'm still trying to figure out.

If you give the game a shot but encounter some errors starting it up, copy the included file avbin.dll to your /System32 and /sysWOW64 folders. It's what decodes all the sound effects and music."

http://www.zombiemariachis.com/randomstuff/Omega.zip

The music is by Mind Necrosis Factor which is a free download at this location http://www.last.fm/music/Mind+Necrosis+Factor.

Mind if I ask what python engine you're using? I'm guessing either completely custom or pygame? If you're using Panda3D (as I really like that engine even though I'm pretty terrible at it) it would be cool to share some of your methodology in a bit more detail.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

mnd posted:

Online poker was pretty much like this too.

Poker can pay better, at least.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
EDIT: Whoops. Meant this to be a PM.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Mind if I ask what python engine you're using? I'm guessing either completely custom or pygame? If you're using Panda3D (as I really like that engine even though I'm pretty terrible at it) it would be cool to share some of your methodology in a bit more detail.

Don't mind at all! I'm using Pyglet --> http://www.pyglet.org/

The game is pretty simple in design and methodology. Just sprites moving against a stationary background. The background appears to be moving through space due to the use of OpenGL by scrolling tiled textures across a grid of sprites that make up the background. So each background sprite is just 512x512 and tiles based on screen resolution. By laying several of these grids I was able to get a parallax effect with the scrolling.

Most of the coding leg work was scripting how each sprite would update its movement with each update call, and then handling the collisions between each sprite. For that I had to import a module called Rabbyt, since Pyglet's built-in collision detection is pretty slow.

The most time consuming aspect of it all was the artwork. I created the entire first level in Photoshop with enemy ships and all. Then it was just a matter of cutting everything up as tiles or images that could be applied to sprites. Animated sprites, such as explosions, were achieved by quickly cycling through a list of textures at each update call.

If your interested, I can toss you the code and you can laugh and cry at my feeble efforts. I'd like to give Panda3d a go for my next project. Don't have any idea what it will be, I just want to create something a little more modern looking.

Did you give my game a shot? If so, any issues getting it running?

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 6, 2012

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Beelzebub posted:

Don't mind at all! I'm using Pyglet --> http://www.pyglet.org/

The game is pretty simple in design and methodology. Just sprites moving against a stationary background. The background appears to be moving through space due to the use of OpenGL by scrolling tiled textures across a grid of sprites that make up the background. So each background sprite is just 512x512 and tiles based on screen resolution. By laying several of these grids I was able to get a parallax effect with the scrolling.

Most of the coding leg work was scripting how each sprite would update its movement with each update call, and then handling the collisions between each sprite. For that I had to import a module called Rabbyt, since Pyglet's built-in collision detection is pretty slow.

The most time consuming aspect of it all was the artwork. I created the entire first level in Photoshop with enemy ships and all. Then it was just a matter of cutting everything up as tiles or images that could be applied to sprites. Animated sprites, such as explosions, were achieved by quickly cycling through a list of textures at each update call.

If your interested, I can toss you the code and you can laugh and cry at my feeble efforts. I'd like to give Panda3d a go for my next project. Don't have any idea what it will be, I just want to create something a little more modern looking.

Did you give my game a shot? If so, any issues getting it running?

Thanks for the description. I've been interested in building game development suites using something like wxPython for the UI, then using some game library (such as Panda3D) to create a kind of game IDE. Just give all of the built in functions a way to be implemented via a GUI. I haven't gotten very far yet as I'm not that good with Panda just yet. I've downloaded your game on my non-work computer but haven't had a chance to give it a try yet, but I certainly will.

I'd like to take a look at the code, too. You can e-mail me a link to a zip or something at tsbrs [at] yahoo [dot] com I've been digging python a lot and am always looking for another library to try. Panda3D is awesome, but pretty overkill for a lot of what I actually have time to accomplish on my own.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Quite simple, and pretty bad in comparison to what screenshots I've seen around here, but I've finally managed to learn a bit of OpenGL 3.x+, and GLSL. At least, enough to make a small thing. But I'm proud of it, at least. Using glm for matrix/vector functions and simplex noise.

Got a whole array of WIP pictures as it all came together, but I'll just link them instead.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.

Red Mike posted:

Quite simple, and pretty bad in comparison to what screenshots I've seen around here, but I've finally managed to learn a bit of OpenGL 3.x+, and GLSL. At least, enough to make a small thing. But I'm proud of it, at least. Using glm for matrix/vector functions and simplex noise.

Got a whole array of WIP pictures as it all came together, but I'll just link them instead.

This makes my sides hurt with how much I still have to learn. Good job!

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Beelzebub posted:

This makes my sides hurt with how much I still have to learn. Good job!

The fun bit is that I have the exact same sentiment regarding your project. So thanks, and good job as well.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
I originally put this in the startups thread, but it was recommended I put it here too for more visibility.

So a little over a month ago my partner and I launched a product named Accthub. It's been doing just about nothing since it's not competitive to other mobile platforms (Parse and Stackmob are the big ones) and we have not spent enough time marketing it.

That means, you know, time to pivot!

Accthub didn't originally start off as a mobile platform as a service (PaaS). Originally, it started off as an account management and authentication system that you would install on your own machines and any piece of software you controlled that worked with accounts could centralize them in Accthub.

How would this help me, you ask? Well, imagine you're at a software company that manages 10-20 ecommerce websites that are all on a similar platform (whether it be bespoke or an off the shelf solution, doesn't matter). Each of these ecommerce platforms have customers who create accounts and addresses and sign into the site. Now, when you've discovered a bug in the account management piece of your software, you have to go to each installation, fix it, and deploy it. It's time consuming and not fun. This exact scenario happened at the company I'm currently at which is what gave rise to Accthub.

I wrote Accthub to fix that problem. You install it on a server and then all of your software speaks to it through a REST API (and a nice client library in your language of choice).

I spent the last few weeks adding a nice admin panel to it so you can manage all of your sites account data. Here's a walkthrough of the admin panel on my blog - http://leftnode.com/entry/accthub-enterprise-walkthrough.html

What are your thoughts? Is this something you would find useful? If so, would you be interested in a copy to play around with? Right now it does require some Linux admin chops to get it installed, but it is straightforward.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
As I mentioned in the other thread as well (or maybe failed to articulate correctly, come to think of it), is that it feels very lightweight. There's a lot of talk on the site, but if all it does is just track users with some attributes, then that could be useful for mobile developers who just want to add quick account management to their application. However, I don't see anyone running this on their own servers.

In a very concrete way, why would anyone use this system over, say, Active Directory or LDAP? Moreover, when I'm doing ecommerce using an off-the-shelf solution or a custom solution, wouldn't I have user management already anyway? How much time and effort would it take me to convert everything to use your REST API?

These are the kind of questions that your website leaves unanswered. It talks about how "exciting" Accthub is, but not why I'd want to use it. I mean, one of your bullet points is that you use bcrypt to hash passwords. Is that *really* one of the most exciting features of your system?

Sorry if I come off harsh, btw! I certainly wish you the best of luck with this, but right now Accthub seems very light on features and I think that's one of the reasons you're seeing low adoption.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

Thanks for your response! You don't come off harsh, and I appreciate the honesty.

I really need to update the Accthub website; it refers to the mobile product we're not interested in pursuing any further.

Let me see if I can explain what the new product does.

Alright, at my current full time job, we manage 10-12 custom ecommerce websites. They all use a common codebase, which means they each support account creation for customers, address management, and authentication.

When I came to the company, I found a severe security bug in each website's account/auth system. Because each website was its own separate repository from a common codebase, I had to go make the same change on 10 different websites, get it tested, through QA, through UAT, and finally into production. It wasn't fun.

So I thought: why not just centralize that so each website talks to one place that does account management and authentication, if a bug were discovered, I'd just have to fix it in one place rather than 10. That was the genesis of Accthub.

LDAP or ActiveDirectory would be used for the employees of your company, Accthub would be for the customers on your companies product(s).

The new release comes with a nice admin panel so you can manage your website's accounts easily as well. At any rate, I certainly appreciate the feedback. I've given myself a timeline of "ok if you're not seeing any traction on this, time to move on" so I don't waste too much time on it.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

musclecoder posted:

LDAP or ActiveDirectory would be used for the employees of your company, Accthub would be for the customers on your companies product(s).
I've seen people use these systems for products as well. Apart from that though, your specific example is that you had these custom ecommerce websites that you had to completely redeploy if you found a bug in your user account management.

Other companies will tend to a) use an off-the-shelf all in one ecommerce solution, b) have their user management set up in a separate component anyway or c) have a semi-hacky solution.

Your target audience seems to be mostly c), right? I mean, companies that have a lot of hassle with their custom hacky solution and want to replace it with a clean component. I personally feel this is going to be the most difficult audience to sell your product to (if they knew what they were doing they probably had a clean solution already) and, on top of that, you also need them to convert their code to use Accthub, which will mean a LOT of support. It might work if you also provide consultancy along with it, so that it becomes more a "we come in and replace your account management tools and it'll look like THIS" [cue presentation of fancy dashboard graphics]

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

That's exactly the direction I want to go in. Enterprise sales are hard, but can obviously pay a lot better faster. I'm pitching Accthub to my company next week, and if that goes well, I'll how it works with the integrations. If it doesn't, then maybe time to move on.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider
Sounds like you are building Identity as a Service. There are lots of providers out there that are worth looking at for ideas.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

it's nice in black and white too, this is a portrait of a person I see posting here that I "know" from a totally different context, we'll see if he spots it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

w00tz0r
Aug 10, 2006

I'm just so god damn happy.

Dolex posted:

it's nice in black and white too, this is a portrait of a person I see posting here that I "know" from a totally different context, we'll see if he spots it

Except for the fact that I've had a beard for several years, that looks eerily like me. Kind of freaked out right now.

edit: looks way less like me zoomed out, whew.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

w00tz0r posted:

Except for the fact that I've had a beard for several years, that looks eerily like me. Kind of freaked out right now.

edit: looks way less like me zoomed out, whew.

Was just about to post the same thing, only not only like me, but also my father.

This is a weird application for this algorithm, freaking people out on the internet.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I uploaded a new video with some new little functional differences. The main new thing is the cameras, which took some thinking to make work. I've also made see-through glass, and ornaments/desks can be shot through. The AI will take into account glass and shoot-through ornaments when deciding to open-fire or run to your location.

The "Popup Boxes" are way more functional now. Previously the buttons in them were hard-coded, now they pull from an ability loadout list and dynamically resize for up to 5 buttons per pop-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAn455tLSLU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Holy cow! This owns. The editor is a little weird to use, though. If I am doing this right, I have to select the grid spaces I want to put a tile in, then "insert" the tile, right? Any plans of adding a more standard pencil/brush paint-on style of editing?

Anyway, this is very cool.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Attention, those of you with post-2008 Macbooks or perhaps Magic Trackpads! I would be very thankful if you would try out this little Max/MSP app: http://www.mediafire.com/?akejgapb43qulsc

It's the core of "I Will Remember Not Just to Touch," a laptop ensemble piece I premiered last night. It uses a Max/MSP external object, [fingerpinger], that tracks up to 10 fingers on your trackpad. I use three of these to control pitch (left to right) or rhythmic density (down to up).

It seems to be working for people, although recording seems to be perhaps broken for older version of OSX. Please try it out and let me know if you're having any issues!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Stepped aside from SALR/Awful for Android development for the summer to work on an NES emulator. I posted a boring screenshot of my 6502 CPU tests passing a while back, here's some of the latest progress:

I'm in the process of getting scrolling working right now, which is trickier than I imagined. Currently only NROM games work and that doesn't include Super Mario Bros (which is suprisingly hard to emulate). The entire thing is written in Go, which is quickly becoming my preferred language.

Bradzor
Mar 18, 2007
Fwhaa?

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Attention, those of you with post-2008 Macbooks or perhaps Magic Trackpads! I would be very thankful if you would try out this little Max/MSP app: http://www.mediafire.com/?akejgapb43qulsc

It's the core of "I Will Remember Not Just to Touch," a laptop ensemble piece I premiered last night. It uses a Max/MSP external object, [fingerpinger], that tracks up to 10 fingers on your trackpad. I use three of these to control pitch (left to right) or rhythmic density (down to up).

It seems to be working for people, although recording seems to be perhaps broken for older version of OSX. Please try it out and let me know if you're having any issues!

I'm running Mountain Lion on a pretty new Macbook Air, works okay on the trackpad, only registers three fingers, though. Doesn't work at all with my Magic Trackpad. :(

But its super fun to play with, so good job!

edit: also, it works even if the window doesn't have focus, which made my FORUM BROWSING so much more musical!

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I limited it to three fingers—the sample playback (especially when you're drawing at the same time) starts to get pretty heavy duty (64-voice polyphony per finger). Four would probably work decently well, but I'd be scared pushing it much further. Also, the piece was written for a trio of players, so I was getting plenty of sound on stage.

That's interesting about the Tragic Macpad—I'm sure there's some way of getting it to work. It's actually very possible that the FingerPinger sees it, but has it indexed differently (I didn't have to worry about multiple controllers in my code).

Thanks for checking it out!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ferg posted:

Stepped aside from SALR/Awful for Android development for the summer to work on an NES emulator. I posted a boring screenshot of my 6502 CPU tests passing a while back, here's some of the latest progress:

I'm in the process of getting scrolling working right now, which is trickier than I imagined. Currently only NROM games work and that doesn't include Super Mario Bros (which is suprisingly hard to emulate). The entire thing is written in Go, which is quickly becoming my preferred language.

I saw that on G+ and I'm still impressed. People who are more skilled than me are awesome.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Playing around with making a text entry based todo system, sort of trying to make it like GTD.

The idea is when you use it as a journal and a todo system, and the app automatically organizes what you've put in in the GTD style of next action lists, a hard landscape calendar and what not. Anyway, only just started, learning about AngularJS (a javascript MVC framework) which is heaps of fun to use.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 10, 2012

Vexed Morgan
Dec 22, 2008

I've been working on a basic web app for finding and listening to podcasts. The front-end is done with backbone.js and the back-end uses Python with the Flask framework. So far I've been quite impressed with how simple it is to get an application up and running this way.

Browsing shows:

Listening to a show:

It has that awful developer-designed look, and default Bootstrap looks lazy, so I'd appreciate any tips in that department.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider

Vexed Morgan posted:

It has that awful developer-designed look, and default Bootstrap looks lazy, so I'd appreciate any tips in that department.

Try these:

http://bootsnipp.com/
https://wrapbootstrap.com/
http://bootswatch.com/

Might help some.

fcbarros
Mar 28, 2011
The original thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507300

I did a Graphical Gravity Simulator back in 2008, it is still a nice software, I am thinking about getting it updated with better integrators for gravity simulation, better graphics and to include multithreading (gpu) support, I did all interface in OpenGL 1.1, it is an interface framework I've build that I inproved in another program I did, bellow are some of the screenshots of it running:

1) Program after the openning of a "SolarSystem" file that starts in 1/1/2007.

2) View of Earth, moon, the sun and other bodies

3) View of moon, Earth, the sun and other bodies

4) Gravity field of Earth and moon (arrow style)

5) Gravity field of Earth and moon (2d colors style)

6) Gravity field of Earth and moon (3d depth style)

7) Europa showing speed and acceleration vectors

So I am thinking if any of you are interested, knows anything about, can help me or have ideas to further develop it.

I can publish the code under OpenSource or just give it away.

thanks!

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Finally realised why my bad use of scaled and overlapped simplex noise was giving me really weird terrain. My scales were off by an order of magnitude. Got one scaled to 200, multiplied by 40, to give rough terrain shape. One scaled to 100, multiplied by 10, to give the occasional dip and valley. And two scaled to 70, and 20 respectively, multiplied together and with 3, to give occasional patches of rough terrain. It's still a bit too smooth, but it works much better.

Done in OpenGL 3.x, using VBOs/VAOs, and glm for noise functions.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
My effort is nowhere near as impressive/interesting/difficult as most of the entries here. I've been working on/off on a roguelike type game. Right now there is no content, and just an empty room.

The aim is to have an easily expandable set of spells/abilities and monsters etc. It's written in C#, using the inbuilt Console. The stats/races/class in the game at the moment are pretty much placeholders.

Spells and abilities are set up so they are a list of effects and descriptors, which will hopefully make things 'easy' to work with later, when content will come along :v:

So far, the commands are 'go up/down stairs', 'pick up stuff', 'look at the floor'. The green 'o' is an orc, which wanders around and can be easily killed by the currently invincible player.

Currently it's using ADOM style commands, but that may change.

(The player is the hard-to-see magenta @ symbol)

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hasn't been long since I posted about progress on my emulator, but this made me want to gloat:

Unfortunately scrolling is horribly hosed (particularly in the horizontal direction) so it's not playable and Mario is a total mess:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Red Mike posted:

Finally realised why my bad use of scaled and overlapped simplex noise was giving me really weird terrain. My scales were off by an order of magnitude. Got one scaled to 200, multiplied by 40, to give rough terrain shape. One scaled to 100, multiplied by 10, to give the occasional dip and valley. And two scaled to 70, and 20 respectively, multiplied together and with 3, to give occasional patches of rough terrain. It's still a bit too smooth, but it works much better.

Done in OpenGL 3.x, using VBOs/VAOs, and glm for noise functions.

My personal preference for creating terrain with noise is a sort of modified version of the ridged multifractal algorithm. It can create nice rocky looking mountains with smoother valleys, and even really nice sand dunes depending on the parameters. It's been a while since I've done terrain stuff, so I don't really remember the specifics, but I initially read about it in Texturing and Modelling: A Procedural Approach. Don't know of any decent online references for it off the top of my head though.

Edit: Here's a very low-res version of something I used it for in the past:

chglcu fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 18, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Ferg posted:

Hasn't been long since I posted about progress on my emulator, but this made me want to gloat:

Unfortunately scrolling is horribly hosed (particularly in the horizontal direction) so it's not playable and Mario is a total mess:

Hey, if I wanted to do something like this, do you have any good documentation for where to start? I've written part of a 6502 core in JavaScript, which wasn't too hard , I'm just not sure how the NES-specific parts (graphics/tiling hardware, input, sound) works.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hey, if I wanted to do something like this, do you have any good documentation for where to start? I've written part of a 6502 core in JavaScript, which wasn't too hard , I'm just not sure how the NES-specific parts (graphics/tiling hardware, input, sound) works.

This is where I started when I was writing an NES emulator: http://nesdev.com

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

prolecat posted:

This is where I started when I was writing an NES emulator: http://nesdev.com

Nesdev is great, as is emu-docs.org

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I made a playable Super Hexagon text adventure based off this tweet https://twitter.com/brackeen/status/247907023847571456

You can play it here: http://pyrothya.net/files/Games/SuperHexagon/shexagon.html

I'm not quite happy with how bright the screen is, but it's difficult to see the scanlines/noise if I go with complete blackness

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

oTHi posted:

My effort is nowhere near as impressive/interesting/difficult as most of the entries here. I've been working on/off on a roguelike type game. Right now there is no content, and just an empty room.

The aim is to have an easily expandable set of spells/abilities and monsters etc. It's written in C#, using the inbuilt Console. The stats/races/class in the game at the moment are pretty much placeholders.

Spells and abilities are set up so they are a list of effects and descriptors, which will hopefully make things 'easy' to work with later, when content will come along :v:

So far, the commands are 'go up/down stairs', 'pick up stuff', 'look at the floor'. The green 'o' is an orc, which wanders around and can be easily killed by the currently invincible player.

Currently it's using ADOM style commands, but that may change.

(The player is the hard-to-see magenta @ symbol)

I once got (somewhat halfheartedly) started on a C# roguelike using Console.Write, but I gave up because the console window flickered every time I redrew the screen. Did you have this problem at all, or is it just me>

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't redraw after every tick. I only redraw the tiles that change. I set up my methods to automagically handle it for me, so its all nice and easy. If I redraw the whole screen it's tremendously slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

redleader posted:

I once got (somewhat halfheartedly) started on a C# roguelike using Console.Write, but I gave up because the console window flickered every time I redrew the screen. Did you have this problem at all, or is it just me>

If you want to do an old school ASCII roguelike in C#, I'd recommend either the .NET port of libtcod if you don't care that it's not really using the console, or a .NET port of curses if you do. I'd assume there's one out there somewhere. Last time I looked into doing it, I didn't really see anything provided by the .NET framework for working with the console the way you'd want to for a roguelike. Of course, I could've just missed it.