Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TheAmbassador posted:

The samurai leads the group, being the leader of the group,
I'm sorry man, but this amuses me WAY too much, must be the lack of sleep due to the extreme heat. I love the samurai though. I imagine that my Neutral-Evil Monk and Saki the fat Samurai would've gotten along swimmingly. :D

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Soth posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ

And of course, teleporter placement to annoy your teammates is an endless cavalcade of hilarity.

That video is from 2007. All of those bugs/exploits have been fixed (well, besides running around and using weapons in front of scoped snipers. Which probably isn't a bug.)

nintendo65
Oct 16, 2008

Two universes separated by a membrane! It causes gravity! I have a uni degree in SCIENCE!!1!
This may be in the thread already but I haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJVolaC8pw

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Angryhead posted:

That video is from 2007. All of those bugs/exploits have been fixed (well, besides running around and using weapons in front of scoped snipers. Which probably isn't a bug.)

There are still annoying places you can build an exit and get people stuck... like under the A sign on Badwater.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

nintendo65 posted:

This may be in the thread already but I haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJVolaC8pw

If grief is measured in reaction then Serenity Now wins hands down. Some one at that funeral honest to god hired professional hackers to take the guilds website down.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before, but from my perspective as a professional MMO carebear, the guild that held that funeral was panting and begging for it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was kind of interested until they started playing scatman, then I just turned it off.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

There are still annoying places you can build an exit and get people stuck... like under the A sign on Badwater.
It's more insulting when 2fort snipers teleport behind the desk and facing the intel, then have to hike all the way back up the stairs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why would a sniper need to teleport on 2Fort?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Cojawfee posted:

I was kind of interested until they started playing scatman, then I just turned it off.

Oh, I agree entirely. That song was just too silly for such a serious griefing video.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No, the song is just annoying, and I don't want anyone to walk by thinking I am intentionally listening to it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cojawfee posted:

No, the song is just annoying, and I don't want anyone to walk by thinking I am intentionally listening to it.

then just mute the video :confused:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I build entrances in their cover spots and make the exit face the intel as a kind of subtle hint.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Cojawfee posted:

God yeah, I wouldn't want people thinking I'm the type who listens to silly songs either. I wouldn't want to looking like an annoying douchebag or anything.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Third Man posted:

God yeah, I wouldn't want people thinking I'm the type who listens to silly songs either. I wouldn't want to looking like an annoying douchebag or anything.

Anyone who doesn't like Scatman John is inherently a douchebag.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I love this thread. How about we get it back on track?

As some in this thread have pointed out, Everquest was a game that managed to grief its own players. Here are a couple that I remember from back in the day:

Throwing Daggers
In EQ your character had a “throwing item(s)” equipment slot. For fighter types this was almost always occupied by a stack of throwing daggers or something else throwy and pointy. Casters usually just left the spot empty, since it was largely useless to them.

Some game designer must have noticed that unused throwing slot on all those casters, and he decided to do something about it. Special daggers were introduced that were loaded with useful buffs to spellcasters. They weren’t meant to be thrown at all – they were supposed to just sit in your throwing item slot and provide you with extra mana or intelligence or whatever. Since it was Everquest they usually took hours and hours worth of camping to get, but they were still pretty drat handy.

Unfortunately, equipping the throwing dagger activates the “throw” button automatically. If you misclicked on that throw button your precious stat dagger would be hurled at whatever enemy you were facing, consuming the dagger in the process. Spellcasters would occasionally click on that button without even realizing it, the only evidence of their misclick would be a tiny “You throw your Dagger of Intellect at the Orc Centurion for 1 point of damage” blurb that is quickly lost in the scrolling combat text.

Sewing Kits
Everquest introduced the concept of portable tradeskill bags/boxes. You used them by throwing the ingredients inside, then hitting the “Mix” button. On success your ingredients would disappear and be replaced by what you were trying to make. On failure your ingredients would just disappear.

It turns out one of these kits, for the sake of brevity let’s call it a sewing kit, turns out to be significantly lighter than a normal bag of equal capacity. To the weight conscious monk, this bag is a godsend. Every monk on the server would carry these kits around instead of bags, and would be extra careful not to hit the Mix button instead of the “Close Bag” button.

Did I mention that the Mix button was right next to the Close Bag button?

Anyway, you can guess what happened. Many monks cried when they sewed their spare armor, a backup weapon, and a few choice pieces of loot into oblivion. The GMs always refused to restore the lost sewing kit possessions resulting from accidental sewing attempts. In a game that was so item-centric, a single misclick could destroy weeks or even months worth of gear.

nintendo65
Oct 16, 2008

Two universes separated by a membrane! It causes gravity! I have a uni degree in SCIENCE!!1!

Cojawfee posted:

You must be a pretty cool guy if people would write you off for listening to scatman.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lonjon posted:

Sewing Kits

Didn't they end up making it impossible to use those bags for non-trade storage, or that they'd make them empty on logout?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I don't know for certain, but that sounds very likely. Leaving those bags as-is was generating too much pain for both players and GMs.

But if they did make them able to hold just tradeskill items they took their time going about making the change. Those Sewing Kits of Devouring were around long enough to become a running joke of Everquest. At one point in time everyone knew about them, everyone understood the risks, but every drat monk still used them for storage. People stopped saying "OMG I can't believe that kit destroyed all of your items!" and started saying "Tough luck on your bag eating your items man."

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Bieeardo posted:

Didn't they end up making it impossible to use those bags for non-trade storage, or that they'd make them empty on logout?

They just made it so kits checked for an actual possible combine before eating items. No possible combine, you just get an error message saying it's not possible.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

nintendo65 posted:

You must be a pretty cool guy if people would write you off for listening to scatman.

Not to mention the song rocks!

BEEBOPBOPBADDATOO

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Lonjon posted:

I don't know for certain, but that sounds very likely. Leaving those bags as-is was generating too much pain for both players and GMs.

But if they did make them able to hold just tradeskill items they took their time going about making the change. Those Sewing Kits of Devouring were around long enough to become a running joke of Everquest. At one point in time everyone knew about them, everyone understood the risks, but every drat monk still used them for storage. People stopped saying "OMG I can't believe that kit destroyed all of your items!" and started saying "Tough luck on your bag eating your items man."

Reminds me of the various Horadric Cube recipes in Diablo II that would not just destroy the valid ingredients for the recipe, but also anything else in the cube.

Recommending recipes like "Stone of Jordan + Wirt's Leg + Tome of Town Portal" to give UBER COW DROPS was always great, because they'll destroy their precious ring, and the fact that the cows did not have uber drops wasn't readily apparent until you got in there and started killing things just to get the usual trash.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Why wouldn't a sniper need a teleport on 2Fort? :colbert:

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

The Third Man posted:

The Hellmoo poo poo is incredible. Is everything in the chatlogs a back and forth between two players? I'm having trouble understanding how text games work out, since they were kind of before my time.

There are as many players as there are characters in each log. So they're also interacting with the game system itself. For instance, in HellMOO, if I type "gently caress Third Man", then a bunch of things will happen. "gently caress" is a valid command, so the game will check to make sure you're not wearing pants, etc., and then it'll do a roll for my gently caress skill to determine how much we enjoy it, it will determine whether or not either of us gets pregnant or passes on an STD, etc. Lots of things. But we can also "emote". So I can type "emote does a flip," and the other players will see "Charlatan does a flip." This is how you get people performing really wordy, lengthy, storybook-esque actions and how my cock becomes a rattlesnake.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
HellMOO is awful and everyone playing it should be put on some kind of watch list.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
Some additional Eternal City griefing:

For the first 10 years the game was running, the best piece of waist armor in the game was dropped by hoplites, and it was called 'A linen belt with a heavy bronze buckle.' However, most of the players had never even seen one, and they were always referred to as linen belts. Well, one day I found a tailoring shop in the steps (the slummy part of the game's main city) which sold belts in a variety of materials, one of which was linen. Needless to say, within 2 months I had made hundreds of talents (equal to 50 pounds of gold) off newbies with too much money, and had gotten the hoplite belts nerfed in the process.

Good times.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

There have been a few posts about miscellaneous ways to grief in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare but I brought pictures!

It may have been outlined before but in Call of Duty virtually all of the semi-automatic weapons can be fired as fast as you can pull the trigger. Relatively early on in the game's lifespan someone figured out they could modify a controller to fire any semi-automatic weapon to it's maximum rate of fire, which happens to be just as fast if not faster than any other weapon in the game. Now I personally don't use a modded controller, I would consider it if I had the money just to make pubbies mad, but I don't. All it takes is pressing the trigger down just a little bit and doing it repeatedly very, very quickly. Strangely enough this alone has elicited more hate directed at me than anything else the goon CoD4 group has done. We continually whatever we can to annoy the other team and it still seems to flounder in comparison.

It's easy to tell when you're getting on someone's nerves after they repeatedly charge you each time they die or when they instantly quit the game after you kill them. At which point I'll promptly send a message consisting of nothing more than "^___^" or the classic ":("; feigning homosexuality (Xbox Live is notoriously homophobic) never hurts either. This has netted me some interesting reactions not only in-game but via Xbox Live messages as well.

(Sorry that these are linked to and not displayed on the page, I don't really feel like displaying a ton of images in one post.)
https://wi.somethingawful.com/f3/f3f19ef975b4cd7d44ef57f81b799e302214ef93.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/eb/eb18f10250a9958cd68328d5c6dbd62761a21615.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/53/53ce35562a05ca3200b4ed37b4ceca72c77c834e.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/26/264161066f5460ee127ae338e7616f264b2d25f0.jpg
http://scuttle.mirror.waffleimages.com/data/files/e5/e507dfc831c46b70b009ed82ace1af99c3764885.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/0d/0de19ff1f96d97fb3befbe231a7ddbb54ecdd380.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/77/77a350f5fc79c550882003dff79819d699bd231a.jpg
And my personal favorite;
https://wi.somethingawful.com/e1/e1543071c105f20c98f4dc9d5cab2013b8e0bab4.jpg

Sorry a lot of the images are really crappy quality as well. Messages over Xbox Live auto-delete after 30 days, the ones I have here deleted before I realized you could open up your messages in any web browser. I actually have quite a few more messages saved up in my inbox, but they aren't quite as...inspired as these are. Now it's just too bad I had no way of capturing all of the times people screamed "modded controller using human being" at me over and over or challenged me to, in their words "a 1v1 you human being" in game lobbies.

I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have :allears:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Haha, because everyone who works at "Micrsoft" talks like a 13-year-old on AIM to blend into the community and not make it look so obvious. Nice story.

BiscuitErsedRenton
May 28, 2006

Depression, boredom... You feel so fucking low, you want to fucking top yourself.

fennesz posted:

I actually have quite a few more messages saved up in my inbox, but they aren't quite as...inspired as these are. Now it's just too bad I had no way of capturing all of the times people screamed "modded controller using human being" at me over and over or challenged me to, in their words "a 1v1 you human being" in game lobbies.

I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have :allears:

I love how all these kids DEMAND a 1 on 1 to defend their honor and show you how much a "fuckin gay fagot" you are.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love that one who says spending money is "gay". Adults have disposable income, dear childe!

All of this rage over just shooting fast reminds me of when I used to play GunZ. I was one of those people who griefed unintentionally by just playing the game my way. For those who don't know, GunZ had this really weird physics system that I don't remember the details of, but essentially you could wall jump, switch weapons, and sword dash to fly around. "Pro" games, especially from Korea, latched onto this and used it exclusively. They would dance back and forth in the air, called butterflying or k-style, and attempt to get close enough to either hit you multiple times with their sword or point blank with an insanely high-damage shotgun.

How did I play, you ask? I carried two high-capacity automatic rifles and lured them into narrow hallways, where I could just roll backwards away from their butterfly and magdump into their head. It didn't help that when I was playing, the only headgear you could buy was cash shop, which meant most people didn't have any armor there. It was easy to get several headshots, which would put them down despite the low regular damage of the rifles I used. I got pretty much the same responses fennesz got, except with more Korean/Asian/whoever it is that says "la" all the time flavor. Funnily enough, I had a harder time against people who weren't k-styling "pros" since they would use "cheap" tactics similar to mine, ie, using actual tactics like positioning and ambush rather than flying straight at you.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

fennesz posted:

(Xbox Live is notoriously homophobic)

I will provide a little anecdote to help illustrate this.

My mum is from Canada and my dad is a scot with a not very strong accent so I don't really have a scottish one, but since I've lived in scotland for many years I can put on a bad scottish accent that just sounds like a stereotypical gay/camp accent. Once me and a friend were match-making in halo 2. We got team shotties on midship and 2 people joined out party. Me and my friend were in Gay scot mode and were speaking in camp accents talking about putting sausages in people's bottoms.

"Shut up fag" says a team-mate

naturally we decide to mock him

"ooh someone's needs to behave or they're not getting a sausage in their bottom" etc. etc.

The guy spent the entire game trying to team-kill the two of us while we continually threw gay innuendo at him in between laughing at him getting incredibly irate at the whole ordeal.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Drox posted:

GunZ

Similarly, I've gotten voice mails over X-Box Live informing me that I was a "human being" and a "noob" for having the audacity to use the chainsaw in Gears of War 2.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Drox posted:

whoever it is that says "la" all the time flavor.

Singapore. They have terrible, terrible internet so I'm not sure how they could even play the drat game.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

duffath posted:

"Shut up fag" says a team-mate

The guy spent the entire game trying to team-kill the two of us while we continually threw gay innuendo at him in between laughing at him getting incredibly irate at the whole ordeal.

I absolutely love it when this type of poo poo happens. Someone calls you gay, you agree with it declaring your love for any and all things homosexual and their only response is "...loving human being". This type of thing is really the only reason I keep playing, anonymous retardation via the internet never gets old.

:golfclap: Bravo, Xbox Live.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

fennesz posted:

I absolutely love it when this type of poo poo happens. Someone calls you gay, you agree with it declaring your love for any and all things homosexual and their only response is "...loving human being". This type of thing is really the only reason I keep playing, anonymous retardation via the internet never gets old.

My usual response is typically "Hell yeah! We should all be so lucky!" and/or in my thickest hick accent "Yee arn't onna them thar homee-oh-phobes, are ya? We dun' take kahndly to een-tolerance round these hear parts!".

I've had a lot of people get seriously defensive when they get called a homophobe.

Sherry Bahm fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 2, 2009

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

fennesz posted:

This exact thing happened when someone joined one of the LC TF2 servers a few days ago and the entire server cooperated to discuss all the homosexual acts they enjoy, ending up driving him to start screaming at us and punch his microphone. We got about a half hour of the guy calling us all faggots in various states of rage and he even persisted through a custom map change.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

fennesz posted:

Oh hell this happens all the time.

"Hey Fennesz, apparently we're gay! Tell me all the things you want to do for my junk!"

"Oh that sounds nice. (Random name) does that sound nice to you too?"

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I've been having some awesome fun on iSketch tonight... basically drawing pictures which are just a variation on a man riding a bird, carrying a sword and shield and wearing a top hat. The bird also has a hat. Then when they all abuse me, I log out then log back into the same room under a different name and do it again. It's amazing how pissed off people get, yet it's so simple to do.

digitalwatchmaker
Dec 11, 2008

Homosexuality seems to weird out lots of people in games, even if its just your character namer.

I introduce you to Fiery_Homosexual in the original hl1 team fortress the happy medic who had forgotten about his hippocrates vow ran around spreading the joy of flesheating bacteria with his little medipak shouting "stay still, I'm going to give you STD's". This was done over and over again, and infection while in the other teams base meant you wouldn't be getting out alive without a medic, this seemed to piss a lot of people off.

People were shouting "keep that drat bag the gently caress away from me", even though their own team medic could heal this little affliction, which many people didn't seem to know or understand.

edit: while I corrected some typos I accidentaly took out the game name etc.

digitalwatchmaker fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It's not exactly clear what game you're talking about, nor why a "drat bag" was griefing those people.

• Locked thread