Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
A million years ago (1991) when I bought a new 5.0L V8 Thunderbird, the V8 option "only" cost $1085 more than the standard 3.8L V6. Kind of a shame all the manufacturers charge so much more for V8s now. Then again, that option price just got you the motor--no upgrades to the stock drum brakes, suspension, it probably didn't even have a limited slip diff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Number_6 posted:

A million years ago (1991) when I bought a new 5.0L V8 Thunderbird, the V8 option "only" cost $1085 more than the standard 3.8L V6. Kind of a shame all the manufacturers charge so much more for V8s now. Then again, that option price just got you the motor--no upgrades to the stock drum brakes, suspension, it probably didn't even have a limited slip diff.

The v8 is still only a $1000 option in the f-150. In canada, the base model v6 f-150 is $21,104 and with a v8 is $22,154.

The difference between the cheapest v6 mustang and the cheapest v8 mustang is $23,992 to $37,064. There's nearly $30,000 between the base mustang and the boss 302.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

The v8 is still only a $1000 option in the f-150. In canada, the base model v6 f-150 is $21,104 and with a v8 is $22,154.

The difference between the cheapest v6 mustang and the cheapest v8 mustang is $23,992 to $37,064. There's nearly $30,000 between the base mustang and the boss 302.

What?

V6 MSRP - $22,310
GT MSRP - $29,710

oh, in Canada?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Anyone SoCal AIers going to Fabulous Fords Forever in Buena Park Sunday? I m going, and I am going as early as possible, 1 for parking, because it's gonna be packed, and 2, when you get there early you get to hear the noise, the NOISE of people bringing their mustangs and Fords in. Also you get to see the popo crack down on the idiots who try to show off.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Cross posting from hot cars/women:

Sunday Punch posted:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Dumb.
I get wanting to be different and all, but that makes no sense.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Dumb.

I agree that it makes zero sense but I personally think it's pretty awesome!

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

It'd be awesome in a Mustang II.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

frozenphil posted:

Dumb.

Dumb? Yes. Fast? Oh yes...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
At least they took the time to improve the looks...

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Q_res posted:

At least they took the time to improve the looks...

This is a fakepost, right?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's been all the chatter lately in the American auto news: The 2013 GT500 will make 662 horsepower and 630 ft/lbs. of torque. All while keeping the same low, low price of around $55,000. In case you forgot, that is over 100 more horsepower than the ZL1 Camaro and 24 more than the ZR-1 corvette at half the price.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Devyl posted:

It's been all the chatter lately in the American auto news: The 2013 GT500 will make 662 horsepower and 630 ft/lbs. of torque. All while keeping the same low, low price of around $55,000. In case you forgot, that is over 100 more horsepower than the ZL1 Camaro and 24 more than the ZR-1 corvette at half the price.

gently caress the ZR-1, that's 1 more horsepower, and 70 more ft/lbs of torque than a ferrari 599 GTO. at 202mph it's the same top speed, now let's see if it can match the 3.6 second 0-60

edit: press release, bolding mine:

quote:

At 662 HP, 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Certified As World's Most Powerful V8! Segment-Leading Fuel Efficiency

· The 5.8-liter supercharged V8 in the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 is SAE certified at 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque
· The world's most powerful production V8 is backed up by chassis, aerodynamic and braking performance that makes the GT500 an outstanding all-around sports car
· Even with 112 horsepower more than the 2012 GT500, fuel economy is increased by 1 mpg both city and highway, 5 mpg better than Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

The all-new supercharged 5.8-liter powerplant in the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 has been officially SAE-certified as the most powerful series production V8 in the world with peak output of 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque. That's more power and torque than low volume sports cars costing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the GT500, which is the most fuel-efficient vehicle in its segment. In fact the 2013 GT500 is the most fuel-efficient car with over 550 horsepower in any segment available in America.

Unlike high-strung engines found in much more expensive exotic supercars, the GT500 engine generates its massive thrust throughout its operating range with 395 lb.-ft. of torque available just off idle at 1,000 rpm. More than 90 percent of the peak torque is available from 2,200 to 5,800 rpm so that no matter when you squeeze the go pedal, the GT500 will just get up and run.

The combination of the new TVS 2.3-liter supercharger, twin overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder ensures this stallion can breathe all the way to 7,000 rpm with the peak power production coming at 6,500 rpm and holding fairly steady right to the rev limit.

"Our goal is to create outstanding all-around performance cars, not just stoplight-to-stoplight sprinters," said Jamal Hameedi, SVT chief engineer. "We've backed up this amazing powerplant with a more refined chassis tuning that helps keep the rubber on the pavement without punishing the driver's spine and six-pot Brembo brakes that dissipate speed with ease stop after stop."

The broad, flat torque curve of the GT500 engine makes it tractable and easy to drive whether trolling along in traffic or powering out of a turn on a twisting country road. With more than enough grunt to push the coupe to 200 mph and beyond, the chassis has been tuned to absorb the road imperfections that can cause instability at high speeds. The revised front fascia and splitter help manage the flow of air around and under the GT500 so that it offers 33 percent more effective aero loading at 160 mph compared to the 2011 model and feels more firmly planted.

"The engineers at Ford SVT focused on the fundamentals first with solid mechanical grip and strong brakes," added Hameedi. "On top of that platform they added advanced driver-adjustable electronic assist features including launch control, Bilstein adjustable damping, AdvanceTrac stability control and electric power-assisted steering."

Even with the most powerful production V8 in the world, the 2013 Shelby GT500 improves on the fuel efficiency of the 2012 model with an EPA-estimated 15 mpg city, 24 mpg highway and 18 mpg combined with no gas guzzler tax. That's 5 mpg better on the highway than the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 even with an extra 82 horsepower and 75 lb.-ft. being generated under the hood. With the 2013 GT500 world-class performance no longer has to mean a world-class thirst for fuel.

The 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 will be built at AutoAlliance International Plant in Flat Rock, Mich.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 27, 2012

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

gently caress the ZR-1, that's 1 more horsepower, and 70 more ft/lbs of torque than a ferrari 599 GTO. at 202mph it's the same top speed, now let's see if it can match the 3.6 second 0-60

Now to find 55k laying around...

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Plinkey posted:

Now to find 55k laying around...

poo poo, now I think I need to trade in my 2012. gently caress!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
After a certain point isn't that much horsepower pretty much useless? I mean, I hate the whole "make it lighter" argument that people parrot thinking lighter is always better, but I figure with something as niche as the GT500 it could definitely be one of those situations where the higher cost of materials justifies it, unlike say a loss-leader Ranger or something.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

After a certain point isn't that much horsepower pretty much useless? I mean, I hate the whole "make it lighter" argument that people parrot thinking lighter is always better, but I figure with something as niche as the GT500 it could definitely be one of those situations where the higher cost of materials justifies it, unlike say a loss-leader Ranger or something.

Wouldn't it make morse sense from the auto maker point of view to make most of the high selling lineup lighter to get better EPA milage?

I agree that the GT500 could probably benefit from that but I really don't think it's the main point of the car.

I guess I'm saying with the GT500 they probably said 'who gives a poo poo, more horsepower'.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine it couldn't hurt, and with the kinds of cars this thing's now going after it seemed to be the ideal candidate for taking things even further. People always say that better materials/lighter weight = more money/higher cost, why not use their halo car as a test bed?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't that what the Ford GT was kinda for? With the whole 'super plastic', extruded aluminum and friction welding?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I imagine it couldn't hurt, and with the kinds of cars this thing's now going after it seemed to be the ideal candidate for taking things even further. People always say that better materials/lighter weight = more money/higher cost, why not use their halo car as a test bed?

My dad paid $3100 for my '67 k-code GT in 1967, the equivalent of ~$21k now. That car is basically the Boss equivalent today. It's a Mustang. That people are willing to pay $55k for a Mustang is already pretty neat.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Picked up a 2012 V6 Premium (manual) with the 202A equipment group (Pony Package) and Comfort Package for a drat good price.

The story goes that I was test driving the competition for when I eventually would buy an FR-S, but with all the bells and whistles I just couldn't pass this up. It is literally the nicest car I've ever driven.

I call her "My Little Pony" :colbert:

Rabble fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 27, 2012

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Powershift posted:

Did they increase tire width at the back or are they still doing the 285s or whatever it was they were using? People were chirping those things all the way through third gear from what I've been reading...

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Powershift posted:

Holy poo poo.

I don't think I can be trusted with one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

Holy poo poo.

Maybe you could go with the convertible. It's limited to 155mph, and might possibly be the most powerful production soft top....in the world.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

Holy poo poo.

It has more torque off idle than the current GT has anywhere. I think we're at the point where the new GT500 is stupidly awesome. If it's anywhere near as good as I hope it's going to be, it's approaching super car levels of fast.

I certainly would love to kill myself in one.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So apparently this car can do the 0-60 bit while in first gear...

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
11hp more than an Enzo and roughly the same top speed for 1/18th the cost, I like it. How can I preorder one of these?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rabble posted:

The story goes that I was test driving the competition for when I eventually would buy an FR-S, but with all the bells and whistles I just couldn't pass this up. It is literally the nicest car I've ever driven.

Don't mention that in the Toyobaru thread. They're still convinced that Mustangs can't handle worth poo poo, and why would you want a car that isn't perfectly balanced???

I, too, have played with the idea of getting a BRZ or FR-S, but when I think about it, the Mustang still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It's just a really excellent car, and if I'm going to take the depreciation hit on selling it, I might as well upgrade to a GT or GT500 instead of... anything else.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Don't mention that in the Toyobaru thread. They're still convinced that Mustangs can't handle worth poo poo, and why would you want a car that isn't perfectly balanced???

I, too, have played with the idea of getting a BRZ or FR-S, but when I think about it, the Mustang still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It's just a really excellent car, and if I'm going to take the depreciation hit on selling it, I might as well upgrade to a GT or GT500 instead of... anything else.

I did post in the toyobaru thread that I was screwed over by my dealer (which caused me to seriously consider other cars). But at some point you have to look at your bank balance and realize what you're getting for the money. This thing is fully loaded on the inside, drives me to work and back in style, and was thousands less than what I would have paid for a basic FR-S. If handling becomes that big of a priority (the 'stang drives awesome anyway) then I can revisit the scion after their mid-cycle refresh and year end model clearance.

This is the absolute nicest car I've ever driven and I don't feel like I settled for anything less than the best for the money.

Now all I need to do is grow a mullet and start putting fake chrome bits on the side...you know, for added horsepower :v:

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
You know it's gonna be funny when reviewers start doing the inevitable track comparison of the V6 and the FRS, especially if the V6 comes out on top...

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Rabble posted:

I did post in the toyobaru thread that I was screwed over by my dealer (which caused me to seriously consider other cars). But at some point you have to look at your bank balance and realize what you're getting for the money. This thing is fully loaded on the inside, drives me to work and back in style, and was thousands less than what I would have paid for a basic FR-S. If handling becomes that big of a priority (the 'stang drives awesome anyway) then I can revisit the scion after their mid-cycle refresh and year end model clearance.

This is the absolute nicest car I've ever driven and I don't feel like I settled for anything less than the best for the money.

Now all I need to do is grow a mullet and start putting fake chrome bits on the side...you know, for added horsepower :v:

You're absolutely correct. I like the FR-S but it's a car that starts off with the premise that horsepower is one of the least important aspects of a good sports car and weight and balance trump everything and for a car that lives on a track you'd have a point. I think the new Mustangs are much better overall cars once you start factoring in price. I also have every reason to believe that the V6 Mustang will absolutely destroy the FR-S on any racetrack.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kronix posted:

I also have every reason to believe that the V6 Mustang will absolutely destroy the FR-S on any racetrack.

Especially in a collision!

I am going to start working on my wife so I can buy a used GT500 4 years from now when you guys get bored with them. I want to shame my father in laws hot rods with $20K big blocks in them with my, shudder, Ford.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I am going to start working on my wife so I can buy a used GT500 4 years from now when you guys get bored with them. I want to shame my father in laws hot rods with $20K big blocks in them with my, shudder, Ford.

You can already do that with a stock GT. I would say that the majority of the "$20k engine" cars you run in to make under 400hp. One of my favorites was this mouthy redneck with a BBC and a 6-71. We convinced him to put it on the dyno at a dyno day after listening to him spout off about his 700+ horsepower.

425rwhp.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Are these numbers for the GT500 accurate? I assume they're not rwhp? I've got a VW buddy who's skeptical, and claims that "Ford overrates their cars while VW underrates them." I'm convinced he's full of poo poo but I can't find any sources to back it up.

help me argue in real life, internet

edit now it's an argument about wheel vs crank rating, hahaha whatever

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 27, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's not RWHP (no manufacturer quotes that) but it is SAE J1349 certified, which is something GM has been using since the LS7. http://www.sae.org/certifiedpower/details.htm

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

What's he arguing? It doesn't really have all that horsepower, but VW's have more than advertised? Does he go on vwvortex a lot?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
The first two dealers I called are going $500 below MSRP, the third played the "I only get two a year so I have to mark them up" game to the tune of $2500. Official quote I got was $63,925 for convertible with shaker pro, heated seats, and electronics package. That's pretty drat good for 662 hp.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Does he go on vwvortex a lot?
Yes, he does. He's just throwing it around as some excuse to devalue all domestic cars, I guess, since he's now claiming that most domestic manufacturers over rate their cars. I want to punch him.

quote:

It doesn't really have all that horsepower, but VW's have more than advertised?
This. But like I said, I feel like there's an ulterior motive to his argument. He's just dumb and I want to factually correct him.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 27, 2012

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

Are these numbers for the GT500 accurate? I assume they're not rwhp? I've got a VW buddy who's skeptical, and claims that "Ford overrates their cars while VW underrates them." I'm convinced he's full of poo poo but I can't find any sources to back it up.

help me argue in real life, internet

edit now it's an argument about wheel vs crank rating, hahaha whatever

He's an idiot, if anything Ford has been significantly underrating the latest gen GT. The 2011 was advertised as 412 and while some websites have stated that it's likely to be closer to 440-450, Motortrend is probably the most mainstream source I could find and they peg it at somewhere north of 430hp/410/ft-lb. I didn't want your buddy to call bullshit on the source so I went with them

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_1003_2011_ford_mustang_gt_premium_test/

Every manufacturer is going to overrate their engines these days. In 1999 Ford had to recall the Cobra of the time because when they actually released it a variety of issues caused it to dyno as much as 50 horsepower below where it should've been and forced a recall. Since then Ford has been careful to manage expectations. A cars power output is going to fluctuate engine to engine and possibly day to day so it's better to avoid a lawsuit for false advertising and the resulting recall and slightly underrate the cars than to risk what happened in '99.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/svtcobraslow99.php

edit: Every car is the US is rated at the crank, tell him to shove it. Power loss through an automatic is slightly higher so it doesn't make sense to measure it at the wheels unless you're going to publish numbers for every drive train configuration.

kronix fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kronix posted:

edit: Every car is the US is rated at the crank, tell him to shove it. Power loss through an automatic is slightly higher so it doesn't make sense to measure it at the wheels unless you're going to publish numbers for every drive train configuration.

And just in case he decides to point out that "LOOK AT THE RX8, THEY PUBLISH DIFFERENT NUMBERS FOR THE AUTO AND MANUAL", it's because the auto RX8 gets a different, less-powerful, lower-RPM rotary :v:

Of course, your life would be far better if you just avoided these types of conversations in the first place.