Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

FasterThanLight posted:

GR has all of those :confused: The controls aren't as good as the X100, but they pack a lot into not much space, and they're still very logical. As for the size, the GR can fit in anybody's pocket, the X100 can't. That's a big deal.

It's got the Canon control schema; set a mode AV/TV/M, a dial for changing whichever is the main parameter, and then a rocker thing at the back when you are in manual... all of which you have to use via the screen on the back. I find the (faux) manual aperture ring/shutter speed dial/etc far more intuitive - but maybe it's a horses/courses thing.

And if you can't fit an x100 in your pocket, your jeans are way too tight :) Pocketability was the main reason I bought one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

joelcamefalling posted:

It's got the Canon control schema; set a mode AV/TV/M, a dial for changing whichever is the main parameter, and then a rocker thing at the back when you are in manual... all of which you have to use via the screen on the back. I find the (faux) manual aperture ring/shutter speed dial/etc far more intuitive - but maybe it's a horses/courses thing.

And if you can't fit an x100 in your pocket, your jeans are way too tight :) Pocketability was the main reason I bought one.

Unless your daily jeans are JNCO Juggalo style wide legged phat-jeans, an X100 isnt pocket friendly at all. The GR will fit in skinny jeans. Its uncomfortable in super skinny jeans though. Bitches always ask you if thats a GR in your pocket.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Part of the appeal of the GR series is that it is the latest of a line of highly regarded cameras going back to the mid-90s. Numerous pros such as Daido Moriyama swore by the GR cameras. Ricoh got sidetracked with a bunch of small-sensor GR cameras for a while, but this new one is exciting because it is a return to the original spirit of the series.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Musket posted:

Unless your daily jeans are JNCO Juggalo style wide legged phat-jeans, an X100 isnt pocket friendly at all. The GR will fit in skinny jeans. Its uncomfortable in super skinny jeans though. Bitches always ask you if thats a GR in your pocket.

I often wear an NFL style windbreaker as my go to jacket. It's got pockets big enough to hold my OM-D... with my pentax 200/4 attached.

:feelsgood:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

I often wear an NFL style windbreaker as my go to jacket. It's got pockets big enough to hold my OM-D... with my pentax 200/4 attached.

:feelsgood:

Ricoh GR is small enough to carry out every day, when if you don't rltake any picture at all. X100 is too large to carry it everyday.

Hell even DP1 is too thick to carry it every day.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

whatever7 posted:

Ricoh GR is small enough to carry out every day, when if you don't rltake any picture at all. X100 is too large to carry it everyday.

Hell even DP1 is too thick to carry it every day.

Cameras are too large to carry period. Thats why I carry my wood etching tools with me and just etch scenes into trees and park benches. MY ART

aversion
Mar 4, 2004

fighting visual crime
Thanks for all the advice guys, this in particular:

rio posted:

Check out the serial on the used one - I did quite a bit of research before buying mine used and it seems that anything starting with 21 and up is good to go.

I think I'm just going to go for the X100, i'm just getting back into the hobby and I think it pretty much fits the bill.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I've been thinking of picking up the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN in E-Mount for my nex, there's apparently a never version out but from what i understand the only difference is in how it looks. I want this as fast walk around lens and the reviews i've read seem to agree that it works for this purpose. any reason not to get it?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Frobbe posted:

I've been thinking of picking up the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN in E-Mount for my nex, there's apparently a never version out but from what i understand the only difference is in how it looks. I want this as fast walk around lens and the reviews i've read seem to agree that it works for this purpose. any reason not to get it?

It can rattle a bit if you shake it. Could be a problem with video. It's a nice enough lens though, especially given that you can get it for about $100 in the combo.

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

Paul MaudDib posted:

It can rattle a bit if you shake it. Could be a problem with video. It's a nice enough lens though, especially given that you can get it for about $100 in the combo.

The rattling will only occur when the lens isn't powered by the camera (IIRC), so it shouldn't be a problem while shooting video.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I don't do much video and if i do some, i'll be with the camera on a tripod anyways (local gym/fitness coach wants me to help him film people operating the various machines they've got) I keep reading about this combo, but i can't seem to find it anywhere local to me, must be an american thing :(

follow up question: are these things http://dx.com/p/hot-shoe-adapter-for-sony-nex3-nex5-nex-5n-cameras-black-168881 deadly to my camera or a must have accessory if i want to use remote flash triggers and similar hotshoe mounted things? the flash that came with my nex-5r is hilariously small.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Frobbe posted:

follow up question: are these things http://dx.com/p/hot-shoe-adapter-for-sony-nex3-nex5-nex-5n-cameras-black-168881 deadly to my camera or a must have accessory if i want to use remote flash triggers and similar hotshoe mounted things? the flash that came with my nex-5r is hilariously small.

You should be careful what flashes you put on it because some older flashes use high-voltage triggers (250v) that will fry modern flash circuits. In that case you would need a Safe-Sync too. It should be OK with modern triggers and such.

Here's the combo at BH Photo Video:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913513-REG/sigma_19mm_f_2_8_ex_dn.html

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frobbe posted:

I don't do much video and if i do some, i'll be with the camera on a tripod anyways (local gym/fitness coach wants me to help him film people operating the various machines they've got) I keep reading about this combo, but i can't seem to find it anywhere local to me, must be an american thing :(

There are a few versions, all from no name China shops. Read up on Amqzon for the specific version you plan to buy, the QC vary wildly.

I just got one, my YN560 is coming so I can't test it yet. I will let you know how well it work.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

whatever7 posted:

I also have this ghetto rear end framing thingy I will be using if and when I get the GR.

That thing is hilarious. Where did you get it?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

teh jhey posted:

http://www.ikodot.com/takealook.html

Fancy-rear end thing is $100.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teh jhey posted:

I paid 250 for a mint DP1 and every accessories Sigma has ever released for the DP1, plus this thing in a box.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Oh my that is not ghetto at all.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
A new development, I've been offered the sony 16mm lens for what amounts to 174 USD (1000 DKK) which is close to half off new. How would that be, compared to the sigma 30mm? they seem to be the same speed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Sony 16mm is inferior to both the 19mm and 30mm Sigmas, optically. That's my opinion, though reasonable people may disagree.

It generally gets less than favourable reviews, however, so I'm not alone in this thought.

About the only thing it has on the Sigmas is that it is a true pancake lens, so if portability is your thing then maybe that'll offset some of the optical inferiority.

Also, regarding your question about both Sigma 30mm versions: The new "art" release of the 30mm is supposedly optically identical to the original 30mm, only it has a sleek finish and might be of higher material quality. You can judge for yourself whether you value the sleeker look or an extra $100 in your pocket.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 27, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frobbe posted:

OK so I got my flash. Here are my findings:

My got the JJC brand NEX hotshot adapter because its reviews on amazon are some what more favorable than the other ones.

It didn't work the first day, so I thought I threw 13 bux down the toilet. Today I decided to try it again and it worked. I *think* it didn't work yesterday because the flash was not in the M mode. I tried it a few times, as long as I set my flash to M, or M-multi, it worked on top on the hotshoe adapter.

The shutter speed on my NEX-3 can go as high as 1/320s without the partial black bar.

However, it doesn't trigger the RF-603c remote trigger. I was not able to test my other set of no-name flash remote trigger because the battery ran out. The reason I got the RF-603 is that it uses normal AAA batteries.

The good news is the flash trigger S1 mode of the YN560 III flash work. Keep in mind that when NEX uses its tiny flash, it has a unnoticeable preflash you can not turn off. So I guess the people from Yongnuo was able to build the function into the YN560III and ignore the preflash. When the tiny Sony flash is used, the shutter speed is fixed to 1/160s.

============================================================
The more important thing is the Canon version of the RF-603c remote flash trigger work on the Fuji XE-1 beautifully.

I know from internet posts, the Nikon version of the trigger RF-603n doesn't work on the XE-1, and the older RF-602c does work on the XE-1. So I took a gamble and ordered the RF-603c.

I took me a bit to figure out how to set the channels. After that you are good to go. Just plug the RF-603c on the XE-1 and you can trigger the YN560III up to 1/320s. The reason I got the YN560III instead of the II was that I wanted the build in flash trigger inside the flash and also audio confirmation. Both are very handy features.

Flash trigger also work, I can use the build-in XE-1 flash to trigger the flash at as high as 1/320s. I have to set it to the S2 mode, S1 mode on the flash doesn't work.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Frobbe posted:

A new development, I've been offered the sony 16mm lens for what amounts to 174 USD (1000 DKK) which is close to half off new. How would that be, compared to the sigma 30mm? they seem to be the same speed.

24mm equivalent is nowhere near as useful a focal length as a ~45mm equivalent. A superwide pancake is interesting and all, but why Sony chose to launch with that as a kit lens instead of something like the Samsung 30/2 is beyond me.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Yeah i went ahead and ordered the Sigma 30mm E-mount, and some guy just offered to buy my old minolta kit for the price of the sigma lens. a happy trade.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IIRC, the 16mm was never a kit lens though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I know it was a kit option for the 5N, not sure which others in addition to that.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

IIRC, the 16mm was never a kit lens though.

It was the bundled kit lens in many countries, maybe not in your home country.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Things I learned today: That.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Martytoof posted:

Doublepost:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/11/samsung-nx1100-bundled-lightroom/

NX1100 is $600, bundled with Lightroom 4. Comes with a 20-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. I don't know anything about the sensor other than it's APS-C, but this looks like a pretty good deal to me, if you're interested in a Samsung camera.

What about the NX1000? It's under $350 on Amazon if you don't mind white. Its feature list doesn't look like it's missing much compared to the NX1100.

I'm looking for something that I can take to a Nascar race that will give me good pictures, yet avoid the hassle of taking my 60D/multiple lenses in a bag that security is going to poke through. Is there a down side to picking up a cheap Samsung camera for an event that is probably going to be well-lit and where I won't need any long lenses?

hungry in hungaria
Mar 10, 2013
I have this weird longing for a Hasselblad 500-styled camera with a square sensor, top-mounted square display and m43-mount.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Just got an ok deal on a used Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 with 2 batteries, no lenses (but I have those already) though.

Got it for $170 which is an ok deal I think.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

hungry in hungaria posted:

I have this weird longing for a Hasselblad 500-styled camera with a square sensor, top-mounted square display and m43-mount.

Remember all the pent-up longing that erupted when this picture leaked out of Samsung a few years ago? Only to be dashed when they said 'nope, not going to be a thing?'

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just got the Sony E-mount 35mm f/1.8 OSS. It pumps a lot while focusing, quite a bit more than the 16mm f/2.8 and kit lens. As a result, it's kind of slow for focusing compared to those two. It's also a little different in that it opens up to max aperture when focusing, so if you're at f/8, it'll open up to f/1.8 to focus, then stop back down to f/8, which also adds on a little delay. It's kind of like going back to before Sony came out with the firmware updates that tweaked the AF speed. So in that respect it's kind of disappointing, but then I bought this for low light concert photography so hopefully the AF won't be too slow for that. I really was okay with shooting with manual focus lenses, but I like using AF lenses because then I can drink beer while shooting. Overall, the aperture improvement is greatly appreciated, but the package as a whole feels like a step backwards.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/zeiss-announces-the-new-e-mount-lenses-and-names-them-touit/ this link popped up in my newsfeed this morning. Looks like E-mount is about to become more exciting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

32 1.8? Yes please!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

32 1.8? Yes please!

The prices are crazy though, like $1000+.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

alkanphel posted:

The prices are crazy though, like $1000+.

Probably worth it for the 12mm f/2.8 but I don't see the point in the 32mm for the XF mount since the Fuji 35 is so drat good (and faster)!

Maybe if they did a 90mm since there's not a lot of fast telephoto primes for xf or nex.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malcolm XML posted:

Probably worth it for the 12mm f/2.8 but I don't see the point in the 32mm for the XF mount since the Fuji 35 is so drat good (and faster)!

Maybe if they did a 90mm since there's not a lot of fast telephoto primes for xf or nex.

Pending 56mm/1.2, Fuji has already taken care of Zeiss's niche.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 2, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah it's really hard for the 32/1.8 since the Fuji 35/1.4 is cheaper, faster and probably just as good. And I think the 3rd lens in the Zeiss Touit lineup is the 50/2.8 macro, but I think Fuji already has a 60/2.4 macro.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The Fuji 14mm f2.8 is supposedly nearly as amazing as the 35 - so the Zeiss 12mm isn't breaking entirely new ground.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wish E had a nice sub 3.8 30mm that didn't cost an arm and a leg :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thomas Hogan has a funny article on mirrorless cameras.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/what-constitutes-value.html