Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Working on a unit of dwarf rangers atm, when I get them done (hopefully tonight) I'll post some unit diorama stands as examples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I was originally intending to focus on ebay rescues to put my demo kits together, but ended up finding someone selling the KoW Ogre starter for 50 bucks. Welp, guess I'm also an Ogre player now.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Daedleh posted:

(though that's mm in the last box, not metres)

It might be an idea to base things in their smallest unit size - so for infantry base them as units of 10. You can put two of them together for a regiment and for for a horde, which allows you to multibase with the flexibility for different unit sizes.

Excellent

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dulkor posted:

I was originally intending to focus on ebay rescues to put my demo kits together, but ended up finding someone selling the KoW Ogre starter for 50 bucks. Welp, guess I'm also an Ogre player now.

Welcome to the Mammoth Steppes Ogre bro :manning::respek::manning:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Also if I'm reading everything right this starter is already at about 1k points with 19 models. With ratios like that, this may be the first mini army I ever actually finish painting. (Assuming I stay the gently caress away from goblins)

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Free Kings of War rules till July 10th on their website!

Go get rules at a price thats hard to beat!

(technically AoS is free and will also poo poo in your hand)

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Does anyone know if you get Mantic points for Kickstarter stuff?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Usually not, but I've ended up with like 10 points after all the Kickstarters.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

glitchkrieg posted:

Does anyone know if you get Mantic points for Kickstarter stuff?

Yes if they send you a retail package, no if they send you baggies

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
What's the role of hero units in Kings of War? Having fixed bases and stuff makes it sound like it'd be hard to have a general in his retinue of elite cavalry or suchlike.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I found this short series of videos really helpful. There are 4 of them and they about 3 minutes each. That long demo is good too, but if you want to get a firm grasp on the basics, this one is aces. The first one is almost too simple if you've played any tabletop games before, but the others are very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF5xLsGYijs

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

spectralent posted:

What's the role of hero units in Kings of War? Having fixed bases and stuff makes it sound like it'd be hard to have a general in his retinue of elite cavalry or suchlike.

Mobile units (free pivots, immune to flank charges) that hit hard and often give buffs to nearby units (usually inspiring)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Phoon posted:

Mobile units (free pivots, immune to flank charges) that hit hard and often give buffs to nearby units (usually inspiring)

Could you make something like a "general unit" for a stand that's meant to be the warlord and his retinue or would that not work? Sorry if it sounds like a weird sticking point, I'm just reasonably invested in the idea of people leading from the front.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Heroes are always individuals. For modelling purposes, you could use a general stand as a normal stand of cavalry. I guess in some cases you could also use the rules for mounting a hero on a monster and then put the general+retinue on a monster base

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

spectralent posted:

Could you make something like a "general unit" for a stand that's meant to be the warlord and his retinue or would that not work? Sorry if it sounds like a weird sticking point, I'm just reasonably invested in the idea of people leading from the front.

Yes sort of. Many units have elite versions so you could model your general leading you best troops with a drummer boy or squire on a donkey following on a separate base carrying supplies.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You could give your unit one of the magic items as well to kinda represent having a character in it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Another sorta WHFB refugee checking in, in that I never actually got into WHFB because the buy-in was so outrageously high. Now I'm looking at the KoW store and seeing 1,500 point boxes for $180. That's still a bit of a financial investment, but compared to what GW has going on in their store (one Space Marine "Battleforce" of a single Tactical Squad and a Dreadnaught for $100) it's a loving bargain, especially since I don't need to also buy $100 of rulebooks in addition to the models to start playing.

God I can't wait for GW to kill themselves and let their IPs get bought out by a different company.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
Look at the Bloodline Legion as it's close to if not over 2000 points. There's also an orc mega army that's similar.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

is there a thread just for Deadzone or is this the place for Deadzone chat? I just poked around my FLGS and there were some boxes and it looks neat as heck.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This is the place for that AFAIK.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So has there been any movement on the mid-sized Deadzone/Warpath subject? That's really where my sweet spot is, and it seems weird to have the gap there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

This is the thread for all Mantic games

An Angry Bug posted:

So has there been any movement on the mid-sized Deadzone/Warpath subject? That's really where my sweet spot is, and it seems weird to have the gap there.

We're still waiting for Firefight army lists so we can start testing the basics

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Daedleh posted:

(though that's mm in the last box, not metres)

It might be an idea to base things in their smallest unit size - so for infantry base them as units of 10. You can put two of them together for a regiment and for for a horde, which allows you to multibase with the flexibility for different unit sizes.

should go in the OP btw

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I tried to put some deadzone orks together but virtually nothing seemed to tessellate.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

spectralent posted:

I tried to put some deadzone orks together but virtually nothing seemed to tessellate.

An endless expanse of interlocking orks?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

An Angry Bug posted:

An endless expanse of interlocking orks?

More like I couldn't get their arms and stuff to stick without gaps everywhere.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Another sorta WHFB refugee checking in, in that I never actually got into WHFB because the buy-in was so outrageously high. Now I'm looking at the KoW store and seeing 1,500 point boxes for $180. That's still a bit of a financial investment, but compared to what GW has going on in their store (one Space Marine "Battleforce" of a single Tactical Squad and a Dreadnaught for $100) it's a loving bargain, especially since I don't need to also buy $100 of rulebooks in addition to the models to start playing.

God I can't wait for GW to kill themselves and let their IPs get bought out by a different company.

Unless I get corrected by someone more in the know (paging Daedleh) because KoW uses base sizes to determine units and not individual models you can use unit filler.

So effectively those boxes can be broken down into a few more units if you want to model something cool on the base giving you even more value.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

spectralent posted:

More like I couldn't get their arms and stuff to stick without gaps everywhere.
I've gotten the impression that's a big problem with a lot of their earlier stuff. Same was true of some earlier GW stuff. Grab some epoxy putty and get filling.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Another late convert here. I'm having a hell of a time convincing the rest of my group to switch over, but they've scheduled an AoS game for this Saturday (which I've politely declined to participate in) so let's see if they won't change their mind after the weekend. Are there any rules for the goblins that work like GW fanatics? One of my friends are really in love with the concept of goblin fanatics, so it'd probably be easier to move him over if he could keeps as many wacky/zany/lolrandom characteristics from his GW o&G models as he can.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
where can I get some movement trays to use as filler bases???

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

wizardstick posted:

Unless I get corrected by someone more in the know (paging Daedleh) because KoW uses base sizes to determine units and not individual models you can use unit filler.

So effectively those boxes can be broken down into a few more units if you want to model something cool on the base giving you even more value.

You absolutely can. It's how I'm doing it with movement trays, with room for dogs and a wound counter at the back.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
^^ http://war-bases.co.uk/ are the go-to ones for UK folks. Not sure about the US.

spectralent posted:

Dunk parts in boiling water for 30 seconds then they should go together without many problems. I know the flamer dude has notoriously bad fitting though.

Moola posted:

should go in the OP btw

As should lots and lots of things. I've got a to-do list as long as my arm...

wizardstick posted:

Yep unit fillers are fine (and encouraged - there are two pages dedicated to it in the new book). All that matters is the footprint. Most people aim for at least 70% of the correct number of models to be present (so 14 models on a base for a regiment of 20), but you could use any number really. Some units (zombieessssss) even work better with more models than are needed.

In other news I finally got an hour to myself so started making a few unit bases for my Ogres. God I missed doing these.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 6, 2015

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I've just pulled the trigger on a 1,000 point High Elf army in 15mm from Ral Partha. Do Warbases do custom size trays or am I better off just getting some MDF of my own to cut into 50x20 and 50x40 rectangles?

A mate of mine has a huge medieval 15mm army and a huge Napoleonic 15mm army, he's converting them to KoW lists and we're going to try Elves versus History.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My grand tally from the Deadzone kickstarter:

Quarantine Pledge with Enforcers picked
200 Steel Warriors
40 Enforcer Pathfinders w/ 8 Not-Bigdogs
16 Enforcer Jetbines
Total: $460 shipped

Not bad at all. 200 Steel Warriors with options for 200 bucks will make a good counts-as IG Squat army, at least. :getin:

Throbbing blob posted:

Another late convert here. I'm having a hell of a time convincing the rest of my group to switch over, but they've scheduled an AoS game for this Saturday (which I've politely declined to participate in) so let's see if they won't change their mind after the weekend. Are there any rules for the goblins that work like GW fanatics? One of my friends are really in love with the concept of goblin fanatics, so it'd probably be easier to move him over if he could keeps as many wacky/zany/lolrandom characteristics from his GW o&G models as he can.

Moola posted:

where can I get some movement trays to use as filler bases???

This won't be confusing at allllll

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I never noticed that moola's is slightly larger

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Phoon posted:

I never noticed that moola's is slightly larger

yeah I get that a lot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Moola posted:

yeah I get that a lot

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Bob Smith posted:

I've just pulled the trigger on a 1,000 point High Elf army in 15mm from Ral Partha. Do Warbases do custom size trays or am I better off just getting some MDF of my own to cut into 50x20 and 50x40 rectangles?

A mate of mine has a huge medieval 15mm army and a huge Napoleonic 15mm army, he's converting them to KoW lists and we're going to try Elves versus History.

Email them, they'll do anything you want. I said on an earlier page, I've sent them mspaint doodles of what I wanted on Sunday afternoon and had price quotes and invoices by that evening, and the stuff by the middle of the week. They've even checked the designs for any potential issues re areas that're too thin and such. You don't need a diagram if you explain what you want clearly, too - my KoW zombies are on horde-sized trays with 15 cutouts, one front-and-centre for LoS in 1e and the rest placed randomly, and that's about all I said when I asked them for it - I was more specific about dimensions for horde-sized, that's all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Captain Invictus posted:

My grand tally from the Deadzone kickstarter:

Quarantine Pledge with Enforcers picked
200 Steel Warriors
40 Enforcer Pathfinders w/ 8 Not-Bigdogs
16 Enforcer Jetbines
Total: $460 shipped

Not bad at all. 200 Steel Warriors with options for 200 bucks will make a good counts-as IG Squat army, at least. :getin:

And I was only planning to add an extra 30 :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Bob Smith posted:

http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=18_45