Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

You tend to get this a lot of you turn the megabeast and semi-megabeast caves up dramatically in the more specific worldgen options. I had a world that went through 1050 years of history in the space of about fifteen seconds because the last bastion of civilisation got wiped out by about fifteen megabeasts and minotaurs by year 40.

I thought being the last of the dwarves was pretty badass, but I've never had a world where humans, elves, goblins and dwarves were all gone. I wonder if retired forts will send liaisons and caravans if they're designated as the mountainhomes, and have a king/queen. Will the caravan only contain stuff available in that fort or will it just spawn what caravans usually come with? Will a retired fort eventually send it's whole population to your active fort or will it keep enough dwarves around to have babies and repopulate the world? I want The Age of the Dwarf to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I had a siege of bandits come to my fort a while ago that included 2 dwarves and now their ghosts are haunting the dwarves that killed them. They're not even doing anything bad. Just chasing them up and down the hallways at super speed while my dwarves shoot their crossbows at them to absolutely no effect.

They're chasing my dwarves around so much that nobody can get any flipping work done or engrave some memorial slabs.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
During a werebeast attack, I followed a tutorial to create an indoors-only burrow and set a civilian alert to that using the military interface. It worked perfectly but now that the threat is gone, I can't seem to make the alert go away. I changed the civ alert level back to inactive but they still won't go outside. Any ideas?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm robbing the gently caress out of these tombs and nothing is happening. No mummies, no curses, nothing. I am tossing around peasant skeletons and spitting on poo poo and nothing is happening

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm robbing the gently caress out of these tombs and nothing is happening. No mummies, no curses, nothing. I am tossing around peasant skeletons and spitting on poo poo and nothing is happening

yeah the paris catacombs are bullshit

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

so I edited in Giant Sperm Whale Men and made them playable which as been going well so far except that to make them actually playable I had to take AQUATIC off of Sperm Whales so that I wouldn't drown 5 seconds after starting out.

I don't know if this means that there are sperm whales just lying around on land or if instead the oceans are full of sperm whales who drowned.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
'So I got my algae production up and running but I keep getting invaded by porpoises.'

Solvency posted:

I started a new fortress, and out of the blue, one of my original members became a King but he still mines and does other work like a normal dwarf. Also, apparently none of our trading partners ever bring an outpost liason, so I think something is up with my world.

Also, I have an bit of an odd legendary to show:

I believe this legendary has an image of itself on it. So I can only imagine how deep it goes.

Glad to hear he hasn't fixed that one completely. If you think that skirt is nice, cast your eye over the legendary Planepacked.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 21, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

"Frilly"? Oh god dwarves can produce the divine equipment through moods now.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Elth posted:

I thought being the last of the dwarves was pretty badass, but I've never had a world where humans, elves, goblins and dwarves were all gone. I wonder if retired forts will send liaisons and caravans if they're designated as the mountainhomes, and have a king/queen. Will the caravan only contain stuff available in that fort or will it just spawn what caravans usually come with? Will a retired fort eventually send it's whole population to your active fort or will it keep enough dwarves around to have babies and repopulate the world? I want The Age of the Dwarf to happen.

This has been asked several times but I would love to learn a definitive answer. That would be so neat if true- the player can personally reboot a dead civ as they please, jump starting it through the creation of a primary mountainhome and then having it dynamically grow and spread in the subsequent decades. Although that may run in to the bug where the very first invaders to approach a retired fort (or any other civ entity) automatically win.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there a trick to finding the correct entrance to a vault or hell through caves in adventure mode? between the game slowing down to less than 1FPS and mapping in adv. mode being complete bullshit, I've spent way too much time just loving lost

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Anyone have a good Masterwork LP link they'd like to share? I've been playing vanilla DF for a very very long time, but I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the new stuff in Masterwork and there's no good wiki or other info source besides the manual. The manual is okay, but any specific information just links to text files. There's one guy with facecam and a horrible voice on youtube, any other suggestions?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm also interested in seeing that.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Same. A text LP would probably be best, even.

Also, still haven't picked up DF2014 yet. Can someone explain more about the vaults and divine metals? Where can I find the former? What's in it? What's with the latter? I don't really have the time or will to invest in running a fort right now, but dicking around with that poo poo in adventure mode might be fun, if they are things i can screw with there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

reading posted:

This has been asked several times but I would love to learn a definitive answer. That would be so neat if true- the player can personally reboot a dead civ as they please, jump starting it through the creation of a primary mountainhome and then having it dynamically grow and spread in the subsequent decades. Although that may run in to the bug where the very first invaders to approach a retired fort (or any other civ entity) automatically win.

Pretty sure you can. I retired a few forts after a year each in a world. My 2nd fort was visited by someone from my first as a liaison. My 3rd got a migrant wave that was half dwarfs from the 2nd one.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I will literally kill someone for digv, fast-trade and search.

edit: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9040 Dwarf Therapist for Windows DF 0.40.04

Mu. fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 21, 2014

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
I couldn't make out from the 40.04 patch notes if hostile NPC A.I. has been fixed yet. Undead specifically?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Nah, not the aggression bits anyway. The bit where your militia only used their hands and feet to pummel minotaurs instead of using the steel axes in their hands was.

Mu. posted:

I will literally kill someone for digv, fast-trade and search.

The last commit to 40.01.lst was made 3 days ago. :( It's a big undertaking for Quietust and Expwnent (angavrilov) alone, but still.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 21, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So far the only way I've found to locate vaults is by luck. Generate a world with a decent length, and then look in Legends for the vault sites. If you're lucky, you'll see a bunch of "items stolen" events. From there, look at the site they were absconded to, and see some other sites that they've stolen from. With luck, you'll be able to narrow it down to at least a region or two. After that try to ask around in game. I tried this but didn't have much luck because apparently my entire world was devoid of life -- I went to every hamlet and hillock on that half of the map without seeing another living being, then my game crashed.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I really wish there was a way of viewing legends without having to leave the fortress or adventure modes. Am I missing something with this?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The Legends Viewer works for the latest version and can let you find the site quite easily.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Copy your save folder and start a second client. Other than that, no.

*EDIT*
Oh hey, I didn't know about the Legends Viewer. Let's go look at some vaults.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 21, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reading posted:

It's possible but that bug screwed me when humans came and slaughtered all the dwarves in my retired forts with impunity.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I found another thing that can kill a slade colossus. Collision with a slade floor.

Frankly I'm astounded that the entire universe wasn't destroyed by that impact.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Erush Erithnisgak was a hero in my fortress. As the foremost axedwarf in my civilization he was responsible for training most of the military. He was a hero because he was the only member of his squad to report to his station promptly enough to intercept a force of goblin invaders before they reached the woodcutters and fisherdwarfs outside. He killed an impressive number of the goblins before being surrounded and knocked unconscious. Before he could be finished off, the rest of his squad finally arrived to kill the remaining invaders. Alas, Erush had taken some pretty serious wounds. He had multiple broken bones, organ damage, and whole slew of red body parts.

He was carried to what was a rather sorry excuse for a fortress hospital, tended by inadequate medical personnel with very rusty skills. I fully expected him to die, because I am not very good with hospitals and I have never seen a dwarf recover after being that badly injured. He languished there for about a year until I returned to the hospital and saw all the beds empty. Assuming the worst, I checked to see that he had been given a proper burial. Not finding any grave at all, I instead found him in the barracks training, having made an almost complete recovery. Besides his scars, the only remaining injury was a yellow foot. This never happens to my dwarves, so I was amazed. I renamed him 'Lucky' Erthnisgak there and then, thinking that here must be the luckiest dwarf to ever have lived.

Having given him his nickname, I watched 'Lucky' with great pride as he sparred in the barracks. A legendary axedwarf. I then went to designate him a magnificent tomb in honour of his luck.

15 seconds later he was instantly killed in a freak accident involving a standard quality wooden training spear to the foot.

RIP Lucky.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Captain Mediocre posted:

Erush Erithnisgak was a hero in my fortress. As the foremost axedwarf in my civilization he was responsible for training most of the military. He was a hero because he was the only member of his squad to report to his station promptly enough to intercept a force of goblin invaders before they reached the woodcutters and fisherdwarfs outside. He killed an impressive number of the goblins before being surrounded and knocked unconscious. Before he could be finished off, the rest of his squad finally arrived to kill the remaining invaders. Alas, Erush had taken some pretty serious wounds. He had multiple broken bones, organ damage, and whole slew of red body parts.

He was carried to what was a rather sorry excuse for a fortress hospital, tended by inadequate medical personnel with very rusty skills. I fully expected him to die, because I am not very good with hospitals and I have never seen a dwarf recover after being that badly injured. He languished there for about a year until I returned to the hospital and saw all the beds empty. Assuming the worst, I checked to see that he had been given a proper burial. Not finding any grave at all, I instead found him in the barracks training, having made an almost complete recovery. Besides his scars, the only remaining injury was a yellow foot. This never happens to my dwarves, so I was amazed. I renamed him 'Lucky' Erthnisgak there and then, thinking that here must be the luckiest dwarf to ever have lived.

Having given him his nickname, I watched 'Lucky' with great pride as he sparred in the barracks. A legendary axedwarf. I then went to designate him a magnificent tomb in honour of his luck.

15 seconds later he was instantly killed in a freak accident involving a standard quality wooden training spear to the foot.

RIP Lucky.

:xcom:

.. you get the point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ability to heal is actually dictated by a stat, I think, as is resistance to disease and such. Maybe he just had really good stats?

Urist2014
Jun 8, 2014
I think it says something about this game that even the borderline exploit to train Dwarves is still more than capable of killing your best dwarf.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

My fort is being attacked by treehuggers. How do i tell my nonstop training military dwarves to go outside and give these freaking hippies what-for?

Everybody is just throwing parties at the well while these proud elven heroes murdered a baby...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Same. A text LP would probably be best, even.

Also, still haven't picked up DF2014 yet. Can someone explain more about the vaults and divine metals? Where can I find the former? What's in it? What's with the latter? I don't really have the time or will to invest in running a fort right now, but dicking around with that poo poo in adventure mode might be fun, if they are things i can screw with there.

I've seriously been wondering about all the divine stuff, as well.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Humans Among Us posted:

My fort is being attacked by treehuggers. How do i tell my nonstop training military dwarves to go outside and give these freaking hippies what-for?

Everybody is just throwing parties at the well while these proud elven heroes murdered a baby...

Tell them to stop training in their training room or set them in their schedule to not train? If worst comes to worst , you can always disband the squad and make it over from scratch.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Using the squad interface to actually make them do a thang helps too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

For the people asking for a masterwork LP... I may make one in the coming days. Mostly would focus on the workshops I find useful, and probably a text one.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

"Probably"? Unless you're a Captain Duck walking people through the learning curve by the sheer power of example, there's no reason to ever make a video LP of Dwarf Fortress.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

scamtank posted:

Using the squad interface to actually make them do a thang helps too.

Yeah... how? Do i need to schedule an order for stationing or patrolling or defend burrows or something? So and they need to NOT be training? Please dont act like the interface is intuitive please lol. Thanks :)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Humans Among Us posted:

Yeah... how? Do i need to schedule an order for stationing or patrolling or defend burrows or something? So and they need to NOT be training? Please dont act like the interface is intuitive please lol. Thanks :)

press 's' to bring up the squad menu

select the squad in question

use 'm'(?) to make them move over to that area in general or use 'k' to specifically designate a certain unit you want them to target

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks i honestly never even seen the squad screen and tried to get poo poo done in military. No wonder it made no sense.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the military poo poo is honestly the most convoluted poo poo out of pretty much everything in the game

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Okay they managed to destroy at least one elf but now someone is wounded, sucks to be them i guess. Meanwhile all the stray animals are starving for some reason, the million children probably ate all the food or something.

Are the animals being fed by trainers or owners? Do they feed themselves? It's a bit unclear (lmao) :tipshat:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Grazers need to be assigned to a pasture zone (i) where they can chow down on grass. If they don't get any, they'll starve and die and be useless because you can only slaughter fortress-owned stray animals while they're still alive and nobody in the world knows how winter feed works yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Cool beans. You mean i'd better slaughter everything i can when winter arrives? That's great...

E: I followed this threads advice and made some plump farms underground (in a cavern) and at least that seems to work out somehow.