Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Srriously
I have seen motherfuckeres completely fail to do poo poo that's spelled out in game with big red x's n poo poo it is the worlds worst epiphany poo poo drievs me to drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
gently caress I've ruined like the 3rd brandenburg game attempt in a row by sticking to old sttats lol. Conquoring prussias 1836 borders by 1480 brings lots of cooalitions I guess

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Man they added some p deec achievos when I wasn't looking. Baltic crusader sounds cool.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Heck, even the french ones looks pretty fun.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That feel when Poland breaks your alliance because you took the Teutons before they could...

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Are co belligerents from art of war? Austria just called in all their mates to protect me from mean Poland.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Are co belligerents from art of war? Austria just called in all their mates to protect me from mean Poland.

If austria is the emperor and you are in the empire. being attacked by the outside, they can call in their allies. Its unique to the hre i think.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hurry up France and Austri you dumb bastards! Le troll poland is beatin up my best friend the Livonian order!!!!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

god gently caress i hate the stupid poo poo this game hides away in its events and decisions sometimes. like the only way to convert to christianity as japan is by decision, but the decision is only available if you're a daimyo. oh you did the logical thing and unified japan? haha gently caress you you're shinto forever unless you get force converted by christian zealots, except oops you've been doing the other logical thing and colonising so you'll never be able to get enough provinces to flip to be able to get force converted. owned!!!!!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What kind of loving idiot would try for an achievement without looking at the event files first.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've completely forgotten how to play this game...and all the changes don't help.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What kind of loving idiot would try for an achievement without looking at the event files first.

i went for chrysanthemum throne and then saw there was a newish one to become christian, then after looking it up i saw oops i'm hosed.

but yeah i am a pretty huge idiot as well.

on a related note is the big blue blob achievement actually possible? getting 80 cored provinces in 56 years seems like a pretty tall ask even starting as france.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

i went for chrysanthemum throne and then saw there was a newish one to become christian, then after looking it up i saw oops i'm hosed.

but yeah i am a pretty huge idiot as well.

on a related note is the big blue blob achievement actually possible? getting 80 cored provinces in 56 years seems like a pretty tall ask even starting as france.

Become HRE by vassalizing electors when Austria is busy fighting wars, then try to trigger Burgundian Inheritance. No clue if you can really do that though.

Edit: I tested this w/ console and it probably takes too long realistically but if France is the HRE, they will get both events for the French territory and the Lowlands. So if you want to be a retarded powergamer just for 20 easy cores, well, there it is.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 15, 2015

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
What's the least retarded subset of CK2 dlcs to get. I only have sword of islam

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Custom nations are the new console for games

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Ristolaz posted:

What's the least retarded subset of CK2 dlcs to get. I only have sword of islam

way of life is pretty good, i dunno if it's in the sale but it's worth anything under $10 for sure

e: are any mods for ck2 good, like maybe one that removes india

MindSet fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 15, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
my vassal has a vassal. also, a march.

this seems incorrect.

Average Bear posted:

Custom nations are the new console for games

anyone doing anything especially dumb?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Not really, it's just the random "luckily I'm playing a custom nation France" or "made a custom nation controlling all of the English Channel, having trouble here"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Not really, it's just the random "luckily I'm playing a custom nation France" or "made a custom nation controlling all of the English Channel, having trouble here"

"I admit I used to cheat a lot but this time I'm playing EU4 cheat-free, just made a custom nation and I tagswitch to the AI sometimes."

they continued by saying the game was really easy

lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate playing custom nations because I'm really bad at making a fun idea set so I just shrug and go play Hansa or something instead.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It might be fun to make a custom nation with the shittiest ideas and tech group and start in Europe or a early colonization place as a sort of challenge game.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

It might be fun to make a custom nation with the shittiest ideas and tech group and start in Europe or a early colonization place as a sort of challenge game.

but why do that when there are already a bunch of challenge starts like navarra, theodoro, trebizond, albania, granada etc. forever.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I formed Prussia as TO and I'm still not eligible to be emperor... WTF. It's not like you can't be elected emperor outside of the HRE or something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

I formed Prussia as TO and I'm still not eligible to be emperor... WTF. It's not like you can't be elected emperor outside of the HRE or something.

I just realized Im retarded because the leagues havent fired yet and Im no longer catholic

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've currently got a Hansa game going which has been fairly intense so far. I've managed to connect my territories through conquest, since diplo-vassalisation didn't seem like an option. I'm in quite an interesting diplomatic situation in that initially I was allied with Denmark, Brandenburg and Austria, but then Austria got into a war with France, which prevented me from declaring on Brunswick for Stade, and then Verden when Brunswick was forced to release Verden. While waiting for the war with France to finish, Denmark declared on Verden to take Stade, and I was worried Denmark would poach Stade out from under me, so I peaced out with France, who forced me to annul treaties with Austria. I then tried to declare war on Verden, but wasn't able to immediately because I didn't have a diplomat handy, at which point Denmark called me to arms against Verden. So I dishonoured the alliance call, then declared a separate war on Verden, who Brandenburg was allied with, (still my ally at the time) which let me siege the province first and take it in peace, after Denmark (no longer my ally) helped me smash Verden and Brandenburg's armies. Now Denmark is pissed, so I've allied with Luneburg, Poland, Bavaria and Saxony and am currently working on getting France friendly enough to accept an alliance. What a mess.

I'm about to unlock my first idea and I'm really torn as to which way to go. I'm a full two levels ahead of everybody else around me in military tech, so I thought about going for either Defensive or Quality (to help protect against Denmark and whoever else) but I'm also doing quite well in diplomatic tech, so I was thinking Trade or Influence might be a good option as well. Trade obviously plays to Hansa's strengths, but Influence might help in future wars of conquest and dealing with their side effects. Then again, that may all be moot if I can't protect against Denmark (I'm hoping Sweden declares their war of independence soon) which brings me back to Defensive or Quality. Thoughts? Honestly stumped.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get diplomatic instead of influence if you aren't going to focus on vassal feeding. That said you absolutely should vassal feed in the New EU, since it's cheaper than coring again.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If you think you can manage, support Sweden in their independence. I use it a lot as one of my opening moves when I play Novgorod and they kick rear end. You might get mileage out of it if you want to take danish stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you think you can manage, support Sweden in their independence. I use it a lot as one of my opening moves when I play Novgorod and they kick rear end. You might get mileage out of it if you want to take danish stuff.

Note: Sweden WILL get extremely upset if you take Danish stuff most games. Sweden's AI tries to form Scandinavia most games I've noticed.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

They always hate Novgorod in the end, but I still let them smash their armies defending me until they start desiring Finland.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

Get diplomatic instead of influence if you aren't going to focus on vassal feeding. That said you absolutely should vassal feed in the New EU, since it's cheaper than coring again.

In my testing so far I've found a mix of the two is better, but I could be wrong. I also don't want to just pour all diplomatic points into vassal feeding since as Hansa I need diplomatic tech. But maybe I'll try Influence like you said.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yolomancer posted:

In my testing so far I've found a mix of the two is better, but I could be wrong. I also don't want to just pour all diplomatic points into vassal feeding since as Hansa I need diplomatic tech. But maybe I'll try Influence like you said.

In my last Austria game where I focused on diplo-annexing everyone bigger than 3 provinces or so, I managed to stay fairly even on diplo tech the whole game. The average nation only costs 400-500 dip anyway, and if you have dip on national focus or a really good ruler you'll hardly notice you have a massive drain from the annex anyway.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I can't get back into this because the mechanics have changed enough for me to have forgotten how to play, but I keep wanting to do difficult challenge stuff instead of just playing England for a few hours or something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I can't get back into this because the mechanics have changed enough for me to have forgotten how to play, but I keep wanting to do difficult challenge stuff instead of just playing England for a few hours or something.

Play TO, immediately enter the HRE, then vassalize and annex Pomerania assuming they have no powerful rivals. Congrats, you are on equal footing on Bohemia and Poland almost definitely won't be able to touch you. You may have to restart if Austria allies Poland because that'll make it harder to reach 150 or so relations. If LO has no allies besides you and Riga you can vassalize them with 99% warscore also.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Play TO, immediately enter the HRE, then vassalize and annex Pomerania assuming they have no powerful rivals. Congrats, you are on equal footing on Bohemia and Poland almost definitely won't be able to touch you. You may have to restart if Austria allies Poland because that'll make it harder to reach 150 or so relations. If LO has no allies besides you and Riga you can vassalize them with 99% warscore also.

I just did this 2 days afo. I dunno if I posted about it but Poland attacked me while I was fighting pom and beat me up enough and my defensive allies were too slow (loving France AND Austria) that by the time I could get Poland off my back the war had swung towards pommerania. I just sighed and closed the game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I just did this 2 days afo. I dunno if I posted about it but Poland attacked me while I was fighting pom and beat me up enough and my defensive allies were too slow (loving France AND Austria) that by the time I could get Poland off my back the war had swung towards pommerania. I just sighed and closed the game.

I guess I just got lucky b.c. I had already peaced with Pommerana when they did this to me and I made them cancel Lithuania. Austria had also gotten that extremely early PU with Hungary they sometimes get.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

In my last Austria game where I focused on diplo-annexing everyone bigger than 3 provinces or so, I managed to stay fairly even on diplo tech the whole game. The average nation only costs 400-500 dip anyway, and if you have dip on national focus or a really good ruler you'll hardly notice you have a massive drain from the annex anyway.

I just tried what you suggested in my Hansa game and it didn't work. I took Luneberg as a vassal, who had no claims or cores on anything (is this where I made a mistake? In my France game I was able to sell provinces to vassals that they didn't have cores/claims on) and then annexed two province Brunswick, with the intention of selling the provinces to Luneberg. Well, Luneberg won't take them even for 0 gold and now of course Austria is going to demand unlawful territory. What am I missing?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer posted:

I just tried what you suggested in my Hansa game and it didn't work. I took Luneberg as a vassal, who had no claims or cores on anything (is this where I made a mistake? In my France game I was able to sell provinces to vassals that they didn't have cores/claims on) and then annexed two province Brunswick, with the intention of selling the provinces to Luneberg. Well, Luneberg won't take them even for 0 gold and now of course Austria is going to demand unlawful territory. What am I missing?

It's been so long since I mucked around with this, but is it wrong culture? I know that HRE territories have a malus to being sold or something. shouldn't there be a tool tip with the reason why they won;t buy?

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's been so long since I mucked around with this, but is it wrong culture? I know that HRE territories have a malus to being sold or something. shouldn't there be a tool tip with the reason why they won;t buy?

They have a -1000 malus because it's imperial territory and Austria is the emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I guess what he means is force-vassalise HRE members and then diplo-annex them rather than annex then core with admin points, since that way you avoid the unlawful territory malus and the increased coring cost. But "vassal feeding" as such will only work if it's a country that has cores in another country you're planning to invade, otherwise they won't accept the province.