Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Hey Bill, we'll give you that 4th round pick we got for Dwayne Allen for Butler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I can see both sides of this Butler thing honestly. He absolutely deserves that money and I don't blame him for chasing it, but you don't get to be the New England Patriots by giving guys paydays just because they deserve it.

Hope he stays, but if he does there's gonna be a ton of resentment there which might be trouble.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If he stays he will be super motivated so he can cash out when he's unrestricted.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

New England is just taking advantage of a market that is undervaluing a particular commodity: short, white dudes.

Why are the Money Ballers on the Browns not picking up on this market inefficiency?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

So 7m over 4y would be 28m, but we have to take into account that he was under contract for the 2016 season for <1m and RFA tendered for 4m for the 2017 season, which means the "new money" of the contract would be 23m over two years, which is not significantly lower than the Gilmore contract in terms of per year, while giving Butler safety from injury etc.

Expecting the Patriots to treat you like an URFA is just silly if you are already under contract.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'm guessing the threat of going to the Jets didn't significantly move the needle on the Pats offer to Hightower. Now, he's trying the Steelers.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/841304028319494144

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm guessing the threat of going to the Jets didn't significantly move the needle on the Pats offer to Hightower. Now, he's trying the Steelers.

Yeah, like the Steelers are going to cash out for another teams linebacker. :rolleyes:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

New England is just taking advantage of a market that is undervaluing a particular commodity: short, white dudes.

I do actually unironically believe that Belichick targets white skill position players because he thinks the rest of the NFL reverse -racisms them. Based on his results, I'd say he's largely correct.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

They made that announcement before the Texans dumped Brock. I think there's probably some hope in Dallas that they can squeeze a pick out of the Texans or Broncos now.

Peter King (I know, I know) reports that Houston and Denver have said they're not trading for Romo, and the only way he'll play for their respective teams will be if he's released by Dallas.

It's a game of chicken, basically.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut and becomes the Chiefs number 2 again.

Because in that timeline, the Chiefs still don't draft a QB in a high round and I can't imagine we'd be rolling into the season with Tyler Bray as number 2.
They need to draft at least 2 QBs to get rid of 3500 yds/15TDs and Bray, who they will never trust as the 2nd QB.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

fsif posted:

I do actually unironically believe that Belichick targets white skill position players because he thinks the rest of the NFL reverse -racisms them. Based on his results, I'd say he's largely correct.

hooo boy do I have a website for you!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

this will never happen in a million years but goddamn if it did :getin:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Everyone seems to think the Pats are finally selling out to win now, in which case you keep Butler and roll out one of the best CB duos in football for 1 year if nobody gives you a 1st rounder.

If they're still taking their usual "long term value uber alles" approach then you move Butler for a 2nd or even 3rd without hesitation because that's worth more than any comp pick he could net you.

I do not think that moving up in the third round is worth giving up a significantly underpaid player for one year even under a long-term strategy plan. 2nd, yes, a 3rd, no. A third would only make sense for a rebuilding team that believes it has no chance to compete this year and doesn't even really want to.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

hooo boy do I have a website for you!

Is it the Real time with Bomani Jones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9IRJ6FHF0

Kind of amazing how many of the guys from a 5 year old video ended up on the Patriots.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kalli posted:

Is it the Real time with Bomani Jones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9IRJ6FHF0

Kind of amazing how many of the guys from a 5 year old video ended up on the Patriots.

Caste Sports mission statement is the the NFL is racist and whits would dominate but they just aren't given a shot.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I think it's funny that both O'Brien and Belichick have used being traded to Cleveland as an example of what'll happen to you if you get out of line

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

swickles posted:

Caste Sports mission statement is the the NFL is racist and whits would dominate but they just aren't given a shot.

I'm not Caste footballing, I just think there may be unconscious biases in NFL front offices that—in this one particular, very specific incident—may work slightly against undersized white players. They're still not top 20 players at their positions or anything, but Edelman was a 7th round pick and Chris Hogan languished on practice squads for way too long. They were definitely undervalued before Belichick.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:can:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

swickles posted:

Caste Sports is dumb. But there's definitely something going on in youth sports that leads to typecasting of positions further down the road for both whites and blacks.

Intruder posted:

I think it's funny that both O'Brien and Belichick have used being traded to Cleveland as an example of what'll happen to you if you get out of line

Once upon a time Green Bay used to fulfill that role.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

fsif posted:

I'm not Caste footballing, I just think there may be unconscious biases in NFL front offices that—in this one particular, very specific incident—may work slightly against undersized white players. They're still not top 20 players at their positions or anything, but Edelman was a 7th round pick and Chris Hogan languished on practice squads for way too long. They were definitely undervalued before Belichick.

Same for EJ Manuel imo. Hth. Kthxbye.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

fsif posted:

You should probably google Chris Hogan before describing him as undersized. Hogan is a very technical receiver, he runs very precise routes. He needs to be in a system like New Englands, or have a very accurate QB to be successful.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Kalli posted:

If you read his replies to that Glennon tweet,

This would require not being blocked by him

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

swickles posted:

You should probably google Chris Hogan before describing him as undersized. Hogan is a very technical receiver, he runs very precise routes. He needs to be in a system like New Englands, or have a very accurate QB to be successful.

Yeah, Hogan actually has size and speed, it's why Brady's deep ball efficiency blew up out of nowhere when Hogan showed up. Dude gets open deep with regularity.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Chris Hogan is 6'1" 220, he's not an Edelman-sized dude and definitely couldn't be a "deep threat" if he was

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Hmm if I had to pick a dude to compare Chris Hogan to who would I pick.. hmm... of course! Eric Decker!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

I think there are clear biases in NFL front offices, and a small part of that is white wide receivers are generally under-thought of. Now let me tell you some thoughts on the history of how black quarterbacks have been treated.

I mean, for the easiest example, look at these two tweets 15 loving minutes apart by 30 year GM:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Caste Sports is dumb. But there's definitely something going on in youth sports that leads to typecasting of positions further down the road for both whites and blacks.

I think this is a thing, but slightly different, because at least when it comes to the NFL, there's a healthy chunk of white WR's in college, whereas due to your thing, there's still next to no white cornerbacks in the major conferences right?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hogan had about the same number of targets and catches in 2016 as in 2015. The major difference is his ypa and that could be explained by he had Tom Brady throwing to him instead of Tyrod (and EJ Manuel for one game)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

swickles posted:

Okay, my bad, he's not undersized, but if anything that further buttresses my point. He is much more talented than the first five years of his NFL career would lead you to believe, and it seems reasonable that part of the reason so many coaches and front offices slept on him as long as they did is because he didn't look the part, in their eyes.

I mean, it's either Bill is exploiting this cognitive bias, or he is supremely talented at finding undervalued receivers of all races and consciously chooses to only sign the white ones. I decided to be charitable!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hogan caught 38 balls for 680 yards and four touchdowns, let's not pretend he lit the world on fire

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Whoa whoa whoa, we have undervalued black receivers too, it's just that they're mostly RBs

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

Hogan caught 38 balls for 680 yards and four touchdowns, let's not pretend he lit the world on fire

Just Stephon Gilmore :smugdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R317Rdhw2Gg

Wait, poo poo.

And yeah, Chris Hogan had a nice season, the biggest shock of which being that he was a solid deep threat, which the Patriots haven't utilized since Moss.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Intruder posted:

He was pretty good in the AFC Championship game.

I'm not saying Chris Hogan is a Pro Bowler, I'm just saying he was undervalued in Miami and Buffalo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Okay, my bad, he's not undersized, but if anything that further buttresses my point. He is much more talented than the first five years of his NFL career would lead you to believe, and it seems reasonable that part of the reason so many coaches and front offices slept on him as long as they did is because he didn't look the part, in their eyes.

I mean, it's either Bill is exploiting this cognitive bias, or he is supremely talented at finding undervalued receivers of all races and consciously chooses to only sign the white ones. I decided to be charitable!

I will say he just tries to find bargains. Which is how he ended up getting good seasons out of Brandon Lloyd and LaFell, and failed out of Ochocinco and Reggie Wayne.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fsif posted:

there was that time before the 2007 season that Bill found a pretty good black receiver that cost only a fourth-round pick :v:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Philly Brown to Buffalo.

He's a gritty undersized receiver who runs good routes and has some decent top end speed but just isn't big enough.

Grimy would be more suitable

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Intruder posted:

He was real good in the playoffs though

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Just a reminder that Christian McCaffrey literally complained about being typecast as an undersized white running back

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Christian McCaffrey will go in the top 10 because a rich old white owner will say he reminds him of his son or something dog whistley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

What if Hogan just sucked for 5 years before figuring something out?

• Locked thread