Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I only ever saw this quest as a Geppetto type situation except mr android built his son all messed up and malfunctioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nina posted:

I only ever saw this quest as a Geppetto type situation except mr android built his son all messed up and malfunctioning

What do you mean? We didn't throw any bombs into his mouth or blow up his rocket-hands, nor did we find a blacksmith's mother's corpse afterward.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Screaming Idiot posted:

What do you mean? We didn't throw any bombs into his mouth or blow up his rocket-hands, nor did we find a blacksmith's mother's corpse afterward.

I see you didn't unlock the secret follow-up quest!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I saw this as the S Type not really working properly because he's been frankensteined up rather than a paedobot thing.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
I assumed it was kind of a failure to properly repair the scanner unit thing, and the stuttering was his voice module being crapped out. When I heard the update later from the e-mail I assumed his logic circuits just kind of went bonkers from the makeshift repairs and he straight up murdered the resistance member before breaking down entirely.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
P-P-Please.... Kill me!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Considering the resistance member straight up says "I know this is wrong" I'm going with "repairing broken/dead units is the equivalent of playing God in this setting"

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Considering the resistance member straight up says "I know this is wrong" I'm going with "repairing broken/dead units is the equivalent of playing God in this setting"

And you know a YoRHa body is an expensive piece of military equipment. You can't just have that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meet my drone son.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Nina posted:

"I-I-I-I've... got... noooooo strrrRRRRrrrinnnngzzz..."

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I didn't really get a paedo vibe from this mission when I went through it. Guy just wanted a son, or a little brother. So he decided to make one!

Out of what was essentially a corpse!

Which I guess is... better(???)

Wonderslug posted:

Blink twice if you need help.
Wait...poo poo.

I'm ashamed to say this actually took me a second.

Edit: Id are you skipping over the other long sidequest that's available for right now? Given that it's like...8 sections long and requires a bunch of parts. Just feeling like we could use something a bit more... lighthearted?

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 23, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What are you talking about? This is the lighthearted part of the game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Lightheaded, you mean. Because that scanner is a few hundred logic circuits short of being complete. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yeah, I saw this as the S Type not really working properly because he's been frankensteined up rather than a paedobot thing.

When in doubt, always assume :yokotaro:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I'm ashamed to say this actually took me a second.

That may or may not have been basically a transcription of my reaction to this bit.

There are so many things that could come after "Please." Leave us alone? Don't tell YoRHa I'm going AWOL? Call the space cops? End my horrible mockery of unlife? Give me some context, dude, the soundtrack just went all Lifetime movie of the week and your buddy's talking about DIYing a family on the graveyard freegan plan, I'm not sure how I should feel about this situation.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Well, you can start at uncomfortable and go from there.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Okay, I did not get creepy or pedophilic vibes from that guy when I played. All I thought was that this guy is a lonely dumbass who's going to get loving murdered by his frankenstein's monster child.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or he's in a desert away from the android camp and right smack bang next to a bunch of machines. The place is literally crawling with them; Adam and Eve had been born not all that far away and that took a rather large volume of stubbies to achieve!

So my read is support child of his glitched at an inopportune moment, machines noticed and homed in on their position and they got ganked because of their failure to hide out.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
I was dreading this side-quest because it's apparently a very popular theory on the internet to assume that guy is A No Good Pedo™, but I just never saw it. Kind of glad I'm not the only one here who thought he just wanted a son?
Honestly I felt really bad about the machines (or YoRHa) destroying the budding family before they could be happy.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yeah, this quest was full :catstare: for me.

Meanwhile in the Drakengard LP thread, the readers have just been introduced to Kaine. Queue a page of goons being horrible and then arguing about whether or not they're horrible.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 23, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Elkyrie posted:

I was dreading this side-quest because it's apparently a very popular theory on the internet to assume that guy is A No Good Pedo™, but I just never saw it. Kind of glad I'm not the only one here who thought he just wanted a son?
Honestly I felt really bad about the machines (or YoRHa) destroying the budding family before they could be happy.

Even if he's not a pedo (and I don't think he is), he's trying to create a family by resurrecting someone. And then messing with their head, and resulting in someone who is kind of broken.

It's an odd contrast with the machine "families" that we've seen.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
"Just made a meat puppet faux-son out of a corpse and am living alone away from everyone else in an abandoned flat in the desert. No big deal. Also I intend to do this again to expand my family. It's fine. Pay no attention to the menacing music playing immediate as this is revealed. Radio is broken."

Anyone thinking that guy's actions were in any way on the level should be put on a watch list.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I think this thread could use just a bit of lightening up after that questline.

Someone's probably going to point out that the line is actually "Emotions are prohibited," not "feelings", and my counterpoint is: "Shut the gently caress up."

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Also, the unit in question was probably restored from YorHa backups to a new body and fully exists somewhere else (unless he was a deserter too) instead of having a personality just being patched together. This would be even more awkward if that scanner met this DIY family (also he might want his plug-ins back before he dies again :v:).

Morbi posted:

Someone's probably going to point out that the line is actually "Emotions are prohibited," not "feelings", and my counterpoint is: "Shut the gently caress up."

2B's reaction may be motivated by an emotion, but she thinks you will find it is also perfectly logical.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nohman posted:

"Just made a meat puppet faux-son out of a corpse and am living alone away from everyone else in an abandoned flat in the desert. No big deal. Also I intend to do this again to expand my family. It's fine. Pay no attention to the menacing music playing immediate as this is revealed. Radio is broken."

Anyone thinking that guy's actions were in any way on the level should be put on a watch list.

I don't think that "finding/kidnapping an android and frankensteining it back to life so you can imitate a human-style family" is Cool and Good, no. I also didn't jump to "pedophile", but I also didn't read/play Drakenguard before this game either, so I have to wonder how many people are jumping to that assumption due to previous :yokotaro:.

The androids and machines both seem to be mimicking human behaviors for the sole sake of "this is how humans used to act" (ironically the machines seem to be doing better at the "reproduction without resurrecting and brainwashing corpses a la Pet Sematary" though :v:), so this read to me as the earnest-but-creepy "the machine that wants to pass as human so it goes and skins a bunch of dead bodies, because skin is what humans wore!" kind of deal.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Also, we need to meet our child murder quota.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Qrr posted:

Even if he's not a pedo (and I don't think he is), he's trying to create a family by resurrecting someone. And then messing with their head, and resulting in someone who is kind of broken.

It's an odd contrast with the machine "families" that we've seen.

It's a step above brainwashing.

It's kind of a hosed up family dynamic given that machines and androids don't really physically age or grow though.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

Yeah, this quest was full :catstare: for me.

Meanwhile in the Drakengard LP thread, the readers have just been introduced to Kaine. Queue a page of goons being horrible and then arguing about whether or not they're horrible.

People being horrible and then arguing about whether or not they're horrible is kind of a microcosm of the internet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zomborgon posted:

Also, we need to meet our child murder quota.

I was browsing Taro Yoko's twitter and got this exchange via google translate

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Morbi posted:

Puns are prohibited.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I was browsing Taro Yoko's twitter and got this exchange via google translate

So he draws the line at invoking (murderous) tragedy involving his family? It appears he has some limits after all.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I dunno, the ellipses implies he had to think about it first :v:

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008
So, I'm into my 2nd play through now and I just discovered a new to me combo. Something of a divekick utilizing the pods. It's kind of glorious to behold when it connects but not terribly useful I think. Hoping TDI gifs it for the thread though.

And my two cents on the creepy guy making his family, I didn't see it as pedo stuff either so much as just morally wrong. Sort of literally Frankenstein's monster. Hell the way interpreted the resolution was that of the S unit flipping its poo poo and killing the resistance member and wandering off to be attacked shortly after.

Not A Gay Name fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 24, 2017

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Not A Gay Name posted:

So, I'm into loop C now and I just discovered a new to me combo. Something of a divekick utilizing the pods. It's kind of glorious to behold when it connects but not terribly useful I think. Hoping TDI gifs it for the thread though.

And my two cents on the creepy guy making his family, I didn't see it as pedo stuff either so much as just morally wrong. Sort of literally Frankenstein's monster. Hell the way interpreted the resolution was that of the S unit flipping its poo poo and killing the resistance member and wandering off to be attacked shortly after.

If you're talking about what happens when you hold the podfire and jump buttons at the same time, it's pretty useful when trying to clear the rare large gap.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Not A Gay Name posted:

So, I'm into dropping mild spoilers about the flow of the game

hey now

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008

What did I do? It's known there are multiple endings right? I literally just discovered a combat mechanic available from the moment you hit the ground.

E: My use of certain vernacular? I'll changed.

Not A Gay Name fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 24, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Please come back to talk to me and my son again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jesus christ, so you revealed that nier automata is a video game? shame on you. shame on all of you!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

jesus christ, so you revealed that nier automata is a video game? shame on you. shame on all of you!

My word! *faints*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah but a video game about the future! So...I guess a River Song image could be appropriate?

• Locked thread