Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also Gladys is back at 11am, seems like Minns' lil stunt put the wind up her

Hope the press pack savages her over Barilaro's revelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

freebooter posted:

They'll go with the happy medium: requiring people to be vaccinated to access services, but barely enforcing that requirement

Vaccination to access government services but the expensive, outsourced system to enforce the hoop-jumping check vaccine status is constantly failing.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
New plan: Either get vaxxed or line up to have covid positive patients cough on you.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

lol seems like Gladys is gonna do the 11AM presser today anyways

can't let labor get away with it i spose

edit: wow i'm mega slow

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 13, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh for fucks sake, talk about not even trying to care.

Also Gladys is back at 11am, seems like Minns' lil stunt put the wind up her

Hahaha that is loving tremendous. What an own goal.

Unless she threads the needle of this plus the Barilaro gaffe with "well, I said I would be here when I have important announcements to make, and I'm announcing that vaccine passports will only be used for the transitionary period..."

UK has also announced it's dropping vaccine passport plans, too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gently caress that I'll stand outside pubs and check for passports.

People that wont get vaccinated are generally the type of fuckwit you dont want in a pub anyway. its win-win.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

lol seems like Gladys is gonna do the 11AM presser today anyways

can't let labor get away with it i spose
can't even stick to her own plan mr speakah

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Love that they haven't even been able to announce what all the rules will be when they open at 80% of >16's but are still giving WA poo poo for not being enthusiastic to jump on their wild ride.

Meanwhile here in SA we've apparently had Marshall confirm we will be opening to NSW once we hit 80% locally

I'm much more onboard with the idea says that 80% is the minimum, but we reopen once vaccination rates have slowed beyond that. If there's still people in the queue then give them a chance first.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Will the NSW Labor bloke still do his nothingburger of a press conference?

Given Gladys was spooked enough to do her own, what purpose does it have now?

Coz I can see Gladys coming out, saying nothing, and taking only 3 seconds to say it, then loving off. Thus she has deprived the opposition of press time, avoided difficult ICAC questions, and also got Barillo to announce the problematic "well we will only bar the unvaxxed for a week or two, so theres no real need to get vaxxed." instead of her.

Maybe I was wrong about her, and she is an actual political mastermind.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
9 is livestreaming both the Government and the Opposition press conferences.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Will the NSW Labor bloke still do his nothingburger of a press conference?

Given Gladys was spooked enough to do her own, what purpose does it have now?

Coz I can see Gladys coming out, saying nothing, and taking only 3 seconds to say it, then loving off. Thus she has deprived the opposition of press time, avoided difficult ICAC questions, and also got Barillo to announce the problematic "well we will only bar the unvaxxed for a week or two, so theres no real need to get vaxxed." instead of her.

Maybe I was wrong about her, and she is an actual political mastermind.

Fronts up, claims victory in pressuring Gladys to show up. Asks some legitimate questions the press and government will ignore and life goes on. Seems like a small win to me.

EDIT: Gladys at conference is saying no, unvaccinated will not get willy nilly do what they want that Barrilaro claimed this morning

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If I was Minns I'd pivot my 11am to a reacts video

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Labor presser was a bit flat but they kept hammering the message that the government doesn't get to decide when it's accountable and that plenty of people other than Gladys can lead a presser.

The message was spot on, even if the delivery could use improvement.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lolie posted:

Labor presser was a bit flat but they kept hammering the message that the government doesn't get to decide when it's accountable and that plenty of people other than Gladys can lead a presser.

The message was spot on, even if the delivery could use improvement.

I'm glad to see them find a little bit of spine at least

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

go_banana posted:

EDIT: Gladys at conference is saying no, unvaccinated will not get willy nilly do what they want that Barrilaro claimed this morning

She didn't outright say unvaccinated people will still have restrictions, so she's left herself an out.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"I'm only here for the wins! See you next Tuesday!"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Gold standard etc etc

NSW government waited two days to lock down Sydney after West Hoxton superspreader party

The New South Wales government waited two days to lock down all of Sydney after health authorities discovered they had not contained a superspreader event blamed for the Delta outbreak in Sydney's south-west.

As Sydney's marathon lockdown enters its 12th week, answers to questions on notice to a parliamentary inquiry reveal NSW Health knew on June 24 that it had failed to contain a COVID-19 cluster linked to a birthday party at Hoxton Park, in south-west Sydney.

The state government announced stay-at-home orders only for Sydney's city and east on June 25.

It extended the lockdown to Greater Sydney on June 26 because of the West Hoxton cluster, which it blamed for spreading the Delta outbreak to the city's west.
The new information from NSW Health and Health Minister Brad reveals contact tracers discovered on June 24 they had missed a number of party guests who spent at least five days in the community after being exposed to COVID-19.

The response is at odds with comments from the Minister and Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant to the parliamentary inquiry into the management of the pandemic last month.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Yorrick is apparently saying they told Andrews about the incoming vaccine allocation they announced on the weekend.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Solemn Sloth posted:

crystal hearing dipshits

pretty ableist going after people with cochlear implants imo.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/SAHealth/status/1437248500341772290

This feels a bit... hmmm... but I guess it's just a natural extension of the smaller states opening Pfizer up to under-40s earlier than Vic and NSW did? And I guess the over-60s will be offered Pfizer and Moderna soon enough.

I sometimes think the ATAGI recommendation fiasco might work out in our favour in the long-run; there's probably a non-zero number of boomers who would've been hesitant of any COVID vaccine whatsoever but have instead been conditioned to covet Pfizer.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

pretty ableist going after people with cochlear implants imo.

Look there is very obviously no crystals in cochlear implants. If they were the crystals would obviously cure their hearing problems using hippy crystal magic what not, and they wouldn't need the implants any more.

That's just like, common sense man.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

https://twitter.com/SAHealth/status/1437248500341772290
I sometimes think the ATAGI recommendation fiasco might work out in our favour in the long-run; there's probably a non-zero number of boomers who would've been hesitant of any COVID vaccine whatsoever but have instead been conditioned to covet Pfizer.

Yeah, there does seem to be a bunch of 60+ who won't take anything but pfizer. Not the ideal, but end of the day if it gets more people vaxxed then good.

Spoken too a lot of anti-vaxxes over the last year or so, and more seem to be coming around. Really hoping by the time we get to the tail end of the vaccinations there's only like a die hard group of 5% or less who end up not getting it. Although I think once we get to a point where people are saying we've reached "heard immunity" the pressure on them might die down a lot. 70% of the population who can actually have the vaccine, isn't heard immunity people!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, there does seem to be a bunch of 60+ who won't take anything but pfizer. Not the ideal, but end of the day if it gets more people vaxxed then good.

If I were 61 and told to take the blood-clot vaccine I'd bide my time too

My in-laws and my Mum are all 60+ and took the AZ, but my grandmother-in-law in her 90s was very hesitant to get AZ

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Look there is very obviously no crystals in cochlear implants. If they were the crystals would obviously cure their hearing problems using hippy crystal magic what not, and they wouldn't need the implants any more.

That's just like, common sense man.

au contraire, mon ami! electrical diagrams of the cochlear implant reveal the existence of diodes, which are derived from Crystal detector technology.

wikipedia posted:

A semiconductor diode, the most commonly used type today, is a crystalline piece of semiconductor

and thus the secret of the hearing crystal is laid bare!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

dr_rat posted:

Spoken too a lot of anti-vaxxes over the last year or so, and more seem to be coming around. Really hoping by the time we get to the tail end of the vaccinations there's only like a die hard group of 5% or less who end up not getting it. Although I think once we get to a point where people are saying we've reached "heard immunity" the pressure on them might die down a lot. 70% of the population who can actually have the vaccine, isn't heard immunity people!

I'm pretty sure herd immunity is impossible with COVID btw. The protection conferred by the vaccines is not high enough. The best we can hope for is that enough people being vaccinated will allow our hospitals to remain functioning. But with our hospital systems being so neglected and gutted we'll probably still need various other measures to keep them floating.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

My in-laws and my Mum are all 60+ and took the AZ, but my grandmother-in-law in her 90s was very hesitant to get AZ

uh doesn't AZ pose more a risk the younger you are?

like that was the whole problem with the vaccine rollout as the Bondi outbreak hit. They wanted under 40s to get vaccinated ASAP while also only offering the one that might potentially kill them, and reserving the one that wouldn't potentially kill them for olds, despite AZ risks decreasing the older you were (maybe up to a point and then it starts increasing again idk)

funny to think that the only reason we are as vaccinated as we are atm is because the government basically rolled out the red carpet for Delta and had to scramble to get everyone vaccinated. we were supposed to be fully vaxxed 2 days ago in the original plan. No way they would have got close to that without Delta lighting the fire under their rear end.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Regional hospitals will end up with 3 old people in the icu with covid and the whole thing will collapse

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Phigs posted:

I'm pretty sure herd immunity is impossible with COVID btw. The protection conferred by the vaccines is not high enough. The best we can hope for is that enough people being vaccinated will allow our hospitals to remain functioning. But with our hospital systems being so neglected and gutted we'll probably still need various other measures to keep them floating.

seems that way, Singapore at 80%+ and just had 520 new recorded cases yesterday... But yeah it seems best bet is just to get up to as many vaccinated people as possible, and open up as slow as can not to overload the hospital. Or do a NSW and just run right off that cliff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

au contraire, mon ami! electrical diagrams of the cochlear implant reveal the existence of diodes, which are derived from Crystal detector technology.

and thus the secret of the hearing crystal is laid bare!

Lies told by big pharma executives, who lay in their gloomy caverns far beneath mountain tops, sitting upon vast mounds of horded ill gotten life giving crystals. Selling us their refuses and calling it "medicine" all so they can more easily horde all the crystals for themselves.

Pretty sure 4 Corners did a report about this not to long ago.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Lies told by big pharma executives, who lay in their gloomy caverns far beneath mountain tops, sitting upon vast mounds of horded ill gotten life giving crystals. Selling us their refuses and calling it "medicine" all so they can more easily horde all the crystals for themselves.

Pretty sure 4 Corners did a report about this not to long ago.

pfft four corners, next you'll say you believe in the round earth.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

pfft four corners, next you'll say you believe in the round earth.

Hey, I watch a show called four corners, of course I know the world is a two dimensional flat plane.

Name me one 3d dimensional objects with four corners. ...Other then you know a three sided pyramid, but the world sure ain't an ancient Egyptian pyramid, that's for sure.

Not made out of large limestone bricks. Minecrafts just a game people!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Phigs posted:

Yeah herd immunity isn't currently on the table. The vaccines we have at the moment (fingers crossed for the future!) don't confer sterilising immunity. Which means they (mostly) protect you from getting SARS-COV-2 or whatever the actual disease is called, but not from having the virus itself hang out in your nasal cavities. Very bad news for people who can't get immunised for medical reasons, because it's way more contagious than the flu and means that for the forseeable future in any given public space there'll be a lot of people breathing coronavirus around. So I guess they just have to either become hermits or catch it; which is in turn very bad news for the big overlap of the Venn diagram between "people who can't get vaccinated for medical reasons" and "people who have health conditions which make them very vulnerable to COVID."

Which in turn should make everybody furious at anyone who's eligible to get vaccinated but chooses not to. gently caress them when there are people who have no choice but might end up getting delivered to an overcrowded and understaffed hospital, purely because of your hippie wellness-blogger crystal health bullshit. Also gently caress them when there's a chance that I'll end up getting a breakthrough infection and feeling like poo poo for a week. loving wusses, get vaccinated.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm not over 60 and I had utterly no hesitation to get AZ. Because the scares over blood clots in the media was loving ridiculous.

quote:

No way they would have got close to that without Delta lighting the fire under their rear end.

The only good thing to come out of this whole fuckup. The very sudden shift in urgency to actually get vaccinated to the point where NSW will go past 80% first shot tomorrow and some parts of Sydney like Blacktown are getting to 90% first shot and the case rate of Covid per day stalling is almost certainly due to the vaccination rate. But thats still eligible, not total. Under 12's wont be vaccinated for some time.

quote:

Yeah herd immunity isn't currently on the table.

Herd immunity - where herd immunity means the R number will be below 1 - for the current vaccine crop is up about 90-92% total population. Not eligible, total.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 13, 2021

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not over 60 and I had utterly no hesitation to get AZ. Because the scares over blood clots in the media was loving ridiculous.

Same, it's pretty hosed how the messaging about az got hijacked

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

this is fake; primary school kids can’t get covid.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

Yeah herd immunity isn't currently on the table. The vaccines we have at the moment (fingers crossed for the future!) don't confer sterilising immunity. Which means they (mostly) protect you from getting SARS-COV-2 or whatever the actual disease is called, but not from having the virus itself hang out in your nasal cavities. Very bad news for people who can't get immunised for medical reasons, because it's way more contagious than the flu and means that for the forseeable future in any given public space there'll be a lot of people breathing coronavirus around. So I guess they just have to either become hermits or catch it; which is in turn very bad news for the big overlap of the Venn diagram between "people who can't get vaccinated for medical reasons" and "people who have health conditions which make them very vulnerable to COVID."

Which in turn should make everybody furious at anyone who's eligible to get vaccinated but chooses not to. gently caress them when there are people who have no choice but might end up getting delivered to an overcrowded and understaffed hospital, purely because of your hippie wellness-blogger crystal health bullshit. Also gently caress them when there's a chance that I'll end up getting a breakthrough infection and feeling like poo poo for a week. loving wusses, get vaccinated.

People who got covid last year and then had both doses of the mRNA vaccines had extremely high immunity to all variants of covid and even some immunity to OG SARS, so scientists think once booster shots are administered down the track we'll have a very good chance of achieving sterilizing immunity in most people. Their thinking is that the extended time between provoking the immune system leads to a much stronger response.

freebooter posted:

People who got covid last year and then had both doses of the mRNA vaccines had extremely high immunity to all variants of covid and even some immunity to OG SARS, so scientists think once booster shots are administered down the track we'll have a very good chance of achieving sterilizing immunity in most people. Their thinking is that the extended time between provoking the immune system leads to a much stronger response.

Just make a rule that if you're in an age group that has been eligible to receive a vaccine for more than 3 months and you haven't got it done yet you're at the back of the line as far as any covid related healthcare goes. The idea of my parents or someone not being able to get treatment if they were to need it because the hospitals are overflowing with anti vaxxers fills me with rage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/john-howard-racism-comments-911/13539934

Lol hopefully this means his brain is turning to mush.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
One of my wife's friends in the US is saying that it's spreading through their school even with vaccinations* :( we aren't safe even with the vaccine :(((((

* in idaho, the third lowest state on vaccinations lmao

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

freebooter posted:

Yeah herd immunity isn't currently on the table. The vaccines we have at the moment (fingers crossed for the future!) don't confer sterilising immunity. Which means they (mostly) protect you from getting SARS-COV-2 or whatever the actual disease is called, but not from having the virus itself hang out in your nasal cavities. Very bad news for people who can't get immunised for medical reasons, because it's way more contagious than the flu and means that for the forseeable future in any given public space there'll be a lot of people breathing coronavirus around.

It's stuff like the bolded parts which I find are really hard to talk to some people about. The most agreeable bit of knowledge widely accepted by the public is that vaccines in general create some degree of immunity - not 100% but it works better if everyone around them also takes it. Unfortunately the vaccines being made for covid19 right now aren't going to provide immunity for as long as previously hoped, which even the manufacturers admit, and this means that some people no longer want to take a covid19 vaccine at all because they don't want to take another one in the future on top of the two they're expected to take now (which for some people have already been hell to get). You tell them to at least wear a mask if they don't want to be vaccinated, but some of them will say masks don't work / masks can become germ filled (duh) and are actually worse than having covid19. In the end, some people decide they will do absolutely nothing for themselves or others, even though they agree that covid19 exists and is contagious. Other people getting sick is not their problem / not their fault, because they've 'done their research' or whatever.

Then there is stuff like this which is a kind of a spin of the above? Malcolm Roberts has 100k followers and there are a concerning number of people who support the idea of not getting vaccinated. "The government want us to hand over responsibility for our own health ... to BigPharma". It doesn't make sense to me (I mean, it's One Nation so can't expect that much) since a person still has to 'manage their own health' to organise getting vaccinated, and there are other things like disinfecting common surfaces, wearing masks and washing hands to help control the spread. Some of the people in this comments section were very actively engaged in nay-saying the use of a vaccine, but not actually denying the existence of covid19 while also having other conspiracy level stuff like UN troops are going to force vaccines onto us at gunpoint. They want to 'have responsibility for their own health' but will do nothing in reality.

One thing I can agree with is there being a transfer of wealth from tax payers to private companies. The federal Liberal government were initially a bit selective in accepting AstraZeneca doses over other vaccines, contributing to the delay of the rollout.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

One of my wife's friends in the US is saying that it's spreading through their school even with vaccinations* :( we aren't safe even with the vaccine :(((((

* in idaho, the third lowest state on vaccinations lmao

Vaccines don't prevent infection or spread, they prevent serious disease
There was a lecture by the royal children's Hospital in Melbourne for new parents and they said every child will get covid at some point.