Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
THE NATIONAL LIBERAL PUBLICATION DEPARTMENT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Other titles include: The Orange Book. The Road to Serfdom. How to Tell if Your Fish Are Gay.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Turkish Delight chat. You can now get THESE. My wife is hooked on them like a filthy crack addict

Where can you buy these?! :aaa:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Q: Where'd you find work as a worse-dressed Goebbels

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's always room with the terves

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As far as I was aware they have to notify you 24 hours in advance, but can enter without your permission as long as they give you that notification.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

:lol:

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

As far as I was aware they have to notify you 24 hours in advance, but can enter without your permission as long as they give you that notification.

Nah, without consent they are trespassing. If you have a good relationship, sure, help them out by letting them list the place while you live there still, but otherwise don't give them an inch or they'll take everything.

You're doing a favour by allowing strangers into your home; it saves money not having the property go vacant after you leave before the next people move in. If they're being assholes about it, they can go to hell.

Crust First fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 4, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/RivkahBrown/status/1676212567834783744

It's the National Landlord Investment Show today. Not sure why these people have to show off their lifestyle in public.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It's the National Landlord Investment Show today. Not sure why these people have to show off their lifestyle in public.

There are some downsides to their decadence.

https://twitter.com/LDNRentersUnion/status/1676249172331339777

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Unfortunately, and typically, it seems they got evicted.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1676230310747418625

:toot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'longstanding convention'

quote:

Following his resignation as Prime Minister, David Cameron revived the practice of Resignation Honours by publishing his own in The Gazette (Gazette issue 61678) on 16 August 2016. His successor, Theresa May, followed suit with a list officially published in The Gazette in October 2019. (Gazette issue 62807)

Guess government can just make poo poo up.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm really glad this is being called out. Nothing is going to change though, of course....

https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1676259576235057152

Guavanaut posted:

'longstanding convention'

Guess government can just make poo poo up.

Nothing existed before 2010. Nobody remembers those days anymore.

e: LOL https://twitter.com/adamphillips/status/1676247772704514049

There are lots of lol snippets from this panel

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 4, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
fun moment today in my unison branch committee meeting where i talked about the labourlink nomination and it transpired that this was not a thing any of the 10 or so present members (including myself) were actually paying into. so we can't make a nomination lol

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1676236452965896194

This shows the grilling up to being asked about the report. It's so much schad. Even the BBC has this grilling on their front page... which was quickly knocked off with this breaking news:

:allears:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 4, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Maybe if she offers to swim 100 laps of the pool for charity they’ll let her keep it

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Lunar Suite posted:

My primary issue is the letting agency trying to enter without agreement / an appointment, and getting them to knock that off. Hopefully the threat of a trespassing charge will do that. Far as I can tell, they do have to ask us, and we can say no.

Shelter's a bit wooly on whether the agency has to listen to the no. They just have an email template to complain to the letting agency, with a threat of raising it with the council. Other (lawyer but not my lawyer) websites seem to state 24h notice access clauses are unenforceable as tenants' right to "quiet enjoyment" tops them.

I just don't want strangers in my apartment without me there, and I definitely don't want the letting agent just letting themselves in when it suits them.

Assuming your contract is completely silent on the matter of entry rights for viewings etc, the only landlord entry right that's always implied into all tenancies of less than seven years is that the landlord may enter to inspect for disrepair or make repairs at reasonable times, with 24 hours written notice. This comes from s.11 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. Even then, the landlord can't actually force entry to the property without breaching what's known as the covenant of quiet enjoyment. But if you don't agree a reasonable time you'd potentially be considered in breach of contract.

By default there's no inherent right for the landlord to enter to conduct viewings at all, so if nothing's been agreed in the contract you can just deny them entry and the only thing they can really do about it is write you a crappy reference. (Or serve you notice I guess, but that'd be pretty loving pointless when you're leaving anyway.)

If there is something in the tenancy agreement about allowing viewings of the property, and you're in breach of it, then potentially the landlord could seek damages (or more realistically, withhold your deposit) to cover the costs incurred as a result of the breach. (Increased marketing costs etc.) But how enforceable it is really depends on exactly what it says. Either way they'd be in breach of contract themselves if they just forced entry against your will.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

Maybe if she offers to swim 100 laps of the pool for charity they’ll let her keep it

That house and garden seems to have grown since Captain Tom's day.... :allears:

The foundation has now paused all operations and I guess is under lots of investigations by lots of people.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i mean they've been pretty blatant about what they were doing since they brought out a Captain Tom branded gin before the poor old git had gone cold

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1862513118

This is well worth listening to, to get an insight into the Home Counties Tory mindset. Sat here with my mouth wide.

Starts at 6:35

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

at some point people are going to learn to stop posting tweets because they don’t work

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I won't, it's a twitch link

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

I won't, it's a twitch link

before you, it’s like 8 dead tweets in a row

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
All there for me :shrug:

zhar
May 3, 2019

i think you have to be signed in, i cant view any

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Never had a twitter and I can still seem them. I can't view them on twitter but the embeds work.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I just went into incognito mode to view this page so not signed in to either twitter or SA and I can see the tweet embeds ok.
(Back in normal browser to post).
Maybe it's a combo of your app / browser?

(Just tried click thru from the incognito and I can't view in Twitter itself).

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Tweets load for me but I'm now saved from being able to click through and read any comments.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i can see them now, who knows what happened there

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Watch as Sunak hands these corrupt fucks billions of pounds while telling the plebs there’s no alternative but to tighten their belts

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the fact the Henley Regatta is being spoiled by Thames waters incompetence is extremely ironic, the same people making money off it are also being forced to confront their consequences

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Watch as Sunak hands these corrupt fucks billions of pounds while telling the plebs there’s no alternative but to tighten their belts
Why not do the Gordon Gekko thing of letting them implode and then acquiring them for a penny. They're always talking about running government like a business.

Oct 4, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1862513118

This is well worth listening to, to get an insight into the Home Counties Tory mindset. Sat here with my mouth wide.

Starts at 6:35

This just gets worse and worse.

Please tell me this is parody.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Why not do the Gordon Gekko thing of letting them implode and then acquiring them for a penny. They're always talking about running government like a business.

Ah, but you're meant to nationalise losses and privatise gains, not the other way around. Pure silliness to suggest otherwise.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Thames Water £13b debt

English local councils £3b funding hole

Which one will be covered by the government?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The people.

In poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Change the pound to poo poo.
Will be rich as gently caress.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

and yet when I say this I get handcuffed and dragged away merely for the crime of wielding machetes at a bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

domhal posted:

Thames Water £13b debt

English local councils £3b funding hole

Which one will be covered by the government?

I worked for TW a few years back and even then, looking at the balance sheet, it was extremely obvious that their financial trajectory was unsustainable and was going to end badly.

It's surprising that the regulator never noticed, seeing as they're staffed by people far cleverer than me, whose specific job was to monitor this sort of thing!