Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I choose Jill Valentine over Chris Redfield but that's because her game is easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

More like oldmasterofunlocking

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

She would have been a Jill sandwich if she hadn't been saved a by a strong male like Barry Burton :smug:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Catberry posted:

I always saw that answer as a way to avoid an awkward conversation in a toxic masculinity setting.
I actually had never considered this angle, huh. In the past I definitely "played along" in circumstances that felt like they necessitated not being ideologically disruptive, these days I think I have the confidence to let other people feel awkward on my behalf tho

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Context: basketball player Isaiah Thomas's sister died in a car accident on the eve of the Playoffs.
https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/854931272925200384

https://twitter.com/eoinhiggins_/status/854932114889990144

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My current favorite thing to try to understand is conservatives having complete cognitive dissonance.

"Christians are being persecuted! We need prayer in school!"
"gently caress Muslims, just kill 'em all!" :Posts article about a town trying to ban Muslims from praying in school:

Edit: These are the same people who want to ban all foods that are Halal. Good luck with your new diet that includes you not being able to drink water dude.

Croatoan has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Apr 20, 2017

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

What if all these dudes trying not to be uncomfortable or make other dudes uncomfortable by not being sexist were just honest? Makes you think.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"I know conventional wisdom says that all human life is sacred and genocide is wrong, but what I'm offering is the idea that maybe it's not? Just a different perspective, friend!"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

failing forward posted:

What if all these dudes trying not to be uncomfortable or make other dudes uncomfortable by not being sexist were just honest? Makes you think.

They would all join hands and sing kumbaya

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Somfin posted:

I pick ladies because power is determined by numbers in video games. The fact that Tiny Thinwrists is 100% exactly as strong as Roidee McLargeHuge just makes me grin. Especially since I nearly always play heavy-hitting, damage-absorby facetank builds.

Nothing gets me going like a woman breaking bones with a hammer bigger than herself.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Henchman of Santa posted:

Context: basketball player Isaiah Thomas's sister died in a car accident on the eve of the Playoffs.

I wish all Boston sports fans would sink back into the mud they spawned from

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Oh we're talking about lovely sports fans now?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Garrand posted:

I always just thought it was a funny little joke, I didn't realize people said it seriously. Like, how boring of a game are you playing that you're actually looking at your characters rear end?
Fun vaguely-related fact: when they were just starting to think about the game idea that became Crash Bandicoot, the two guys who were Naughty Dog called it "Sonic's rear end":

Andy Gavin's blog posted:

Sensing opportunity, we turned to our own favorite genre, the character platform action game (CAG for short). In the 80s and early 90s the best sellers on home systems were dominated by CAGs and their cousins (like “walk to the right and punch” or “walk to the right and shoot”). Top examples were Mario, Sonic, and our personal recent favorite, Donkey Kong Country.

We called it the “Sonic’s rear end” game. And it was born from the question: what would a 3D CAG be like? Well, we thought, you’d spend a lot of time looking at “Sonic’s rear end.” Aside from the difficulties of identifying with a character only viewed in posterior, it seemed cool. But we worried about the camera, dizziness, and the player’s ability to judge depth – more on that later.

The “Sonic’s rear end” nomenclature was more than a casual reference to the blue mascot turned 90 degrees into the screen. It defined the key problem in moving a 2d game into the third dimension: You would always be looking at the characters rear end. This might play well (it had never been tried) but it certainly would not be the best way to present a character.
The entire thirteen-part postmortem is a great read but really I just wanted to drop that quote here and leave. Feel free to post IOSM talking about Sonic's rear end, except please don't.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

Oh we're talking about lovely sports fans now?

counterpoint.

this is great

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I only first heard the "Stare at the rear end" thing for World of Warcraft, back when it was normal to have people running female nightelves dancing on maleboxes in cities because that manages to get them tips... somehow. loving nerds.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Garrand posted:

Skyrim is rear end though so that's totally understandable.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I used to use the "stare at rear end" excuse, then I got tired of it and realised anyone who asks the question is likely a dipshit, so I started saying "because it gets dipshits mad". That answer also gets them mad. It's pretty funny.

Field Mousepad posted:

Sorry you had to find out this way

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Field Mousepad posted:

Right?

If you don't like Skyrim but you typically like those kinds of games, you aren't playing it right.

And by "aren't playing it right" I mean "aren't playing it high enough."

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Skyrim is on that "universally beloved games that Goons hate" list, along with bioshock and GTA5

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I really like Skyrim

heavily modded Skyrim

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ularg posted:

I only first heard the "Stare at the rear end" thing for World of Warcraft, back when it was normal to have people running female nightelves dancing on maleboxes in cities because that manages to get them tips... somehow. loving nerds.

I used to say it as a joke when I was 19 and playing DAOC, but the real reason that I played only female characters was that their avatars were smaller and thus more difficult to click in a chaotic pvp fight. I lied because that advantage would get diminished the more that people would try to take advantage of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

Skyrim is on that "universally beloved games that Goons hate" list, along with bioshock and GTA5

I feel like the issue people have with those games is Infinite only and the torture scene.

I've seen more people have issue with Fallout 4.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like the issue people have with those games is Infinite only and the torture scene.

I've seen more people have issue with Fallout 4.

TLDR:. Materials, ammo, and fusion cores cost too much money and powering the settlements was awkward and dumb.

Fallout 4 suffered from not being New Vegas and having absolutely ridiculous requirements for maintaining power armor and upgrading weapons. You needed to carry an IKEA's worth of poo poo around with you to upgrade a gun or build some basic furniture.

There were also a ton of bugs and a weird economy where you basically had to trawl the wasteland looking for garbage to build Generators to attach to your Water Purifiers to get thousands of Purified Water to take to merchants on separate trips (due to weight) who didn't have enough money to buy all of it anyway, and also were probably asleep or not open that day.

Also Settlers would raid your weapons stash to use nuclear missiles on the local wildlife, and the water you were trying to sell wouldn't always generate properly.

Gumbel2Gumbel has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Apr 20, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

How about you just like playing video games you like and not care if others don't.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In my case the female character thing is all about context. I bought God Eater 2 as it had a kinda badass pic of an anime girl... wielding a big fuckoff scythe fighting a ten-storey call Grim Reaper monster and I wanted to fight that, and the box art is not sexualised - she's wearing a standard school uniform, which is weird but whatever. i was annoyed when I started the game, as there is exactly one character who is over-sexualised and god is her design bad. I felt bait-and-switched, if I wanted an anime titty game I'd have just bought some garbage like Sengen Kagura or some poo poo, but I want to play cool fights against giant smoke skeletons, so give me that! It's like, you already sold the game based on a rad enemy design, the pandering in game is just unnecessary - you already got the dollars without it!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Field Mousepad posted:

A shallow game that fits ideally into a shallow mind

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

TLDR:. Materials, ammo, and fusion cores cost too much money and powering the settlements was awkward and dumb.

Fallout 4 suffered from not being New Vegas and having absolutely ridiculous requirements for maintaining power armor and upgrading weapons. You needed to carry an IKEA's worth of poo poo around with you to upgrade a gun or build some basic furniture.

There were also a ton of bugs and a weird economy where you basically had to trawl the wasteland looking for garbage to build Generators to attach to your Water Purifiers to get thousands of Purified Water to take to merchants on separate trips (due to weight) who didn't have enough money to buy all of it anyway, and also were probably asleep or not open that day.

Also Settlers would raid your weapons stash to use nuclear missiles on the local wildlife, and the water you were trying to sell wouldn't always generate properly.

I'm mostly talking about people feeling like they overstepped a boundary since they decided to give your character a spouse and child.

Picnic Princess posted:

How about you just like playing video games you like and not care if others don't.

Jim Sterling Under Attack From Nintendo Fans After Giving A Low Score To Breath of the Wild

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Kojema specified that Raiden needed a well defined rear end because the player would be seeing a lot of it. But it was important that Snake's rear end was even better.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

As usual, Zelda fanboys are the loving worst.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I swear if nerds ran the world wed just have inquisitors that went around passing judgements such as "public stoning, wearing the iron donkey mask, burned at the stake," for those people who dare say witcher 3 wasnt that good or that maybe we should tone down the tits on these woman in games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The new Zelda has the opposite problem Twilight Princess had - TP had too many tools that were barely used despite being really fun, like the Spinner was fun to ride on the tracks with, the Dominion Rod had potential, but they were all underutilized. BotW had only a few basic tools for puzzles, not counting three types of elemental arrow, and gives them plenty of play but it overdoes all of them. By the time your back at Kakariko again to buy more fire arrows to melt another Glacier to get that one more Korok it's getting dull, and going straight through the plot keeps things moving but then you barely see any of the world. The game becomes either too short and too difficult, or too long and easy, based on how much stuff you deign to do. Even the big plot stuff comes down to rub the basic 5 tools on every one of the four dungeons, so the only difference is in Layout.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yes a "low" score of 7/10. Reminds me of when Jeff Gerstmann got death threats for giving Twilight Princess an 8.8

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Not really sure which thread this belongs in but it needs sharing

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/855170168455962624

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

RatHat posted:

Yes a "low" score of 7/10. Reminds me of when Jeff Gerstmann got death threats for giving Twilight Princess an 8.8

Well, in the video game review world, a 5 is absolute unplayable garbage that should never have been released, 7 is a mediocre game not worth playing, 8 is a solid game with a few problems and 9 is good with 10 being great. So weighted against the industry, it is a low score.

And from what the rest of his review says, seems like a fine score for him to give, based on his personal opinions.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

counterpoint.

this is great

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bogan King posted:

Not really sure which thread this belongs in but it needs sharing

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/855170168455962624

The best thing about the Alex Jones' Custody Circus is that its officially confirmed that his public persona isn't an act or a thing he keeps doing for money. He is genuinely, utterly, completely loving insane.

The worst thing about the Alex Jones' Custody Circus is that his kids are having to watch this all play out in front of them and I'm sure Jones' cultists will harass them and his ex-wife. :smith:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Hihohe posted:

I swear if nerds ran the world wed just have inquisitors that went around passing judgements such as "public stoning, wearing the iron donkey mask, burned at the stake," for those people who dare say witcher 3 wasnt that good or that maybe we should tone down the tits on these woman in games.

I'd be tossed in the gulags for not liking any of the From games.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'd probably be murdered for using a Xim4 for online multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Plom Bar posted:

I'd be tossed in the gulags for not liking any of the From games.

*points finger and emits an alien screeching*