Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mullet Mad Jack's fun. The unboxing part is another nostalgia trip; I wish it let you zoom in on the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I managed to get Dread Delusion running pretty well with a 45 FPS cap (and I guess it makes sense that all the retro game effects come off waaaay better on the Deck screen than on my PC's 4K screen)

But yeowww these frame drops on loading new parts of the map, they're few and far between but the game just stops

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

I managed to get Dread Delusion running pretty well with a 45 FPS cap (and I guess it makes sense that all the retro game effects come off waaaay better on the Deck screen than on my PC's 4K screen)

But yeowww these frame drops on loading new parts of the map, they're few and far between but the game just stops

it runs like poo poo for a game that doesn't look very good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CatHorse posted:

The problem is that only the browser version works on SteamDeck and that is limited to 1080p. Also you have to set taskbar to autohide or it appears on top.

Also, some games don't work through GFN on Linux for some reason.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Is the Steam Deck likely to turn itself on for auto updating and whatnot when you put it to sleep? Back when I had a Switch I always shut it down fully out of habit since I didn't want it to charge in the dock since I avoid having battery powered devices plugged in when I am not around / sleeping. I'm wondering since I keep the deck in its case whenever I am not using it and if it decides to power on to update or whatever it will cook itself inside the case presumably. But I haven't seen anything hinting towards it having any kind of wake for updates feature. Still I figured it can't hurt to double check here.

Edit:

Now that I think about it I am not sure if the Switch had any form of wake from sleep to download updates on its own either? Might be thinking of playstation consoles or something.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It cant do anything while asleep.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

It cant do anything while asleep.

Ah, thanks! I guess I should make more use of that feature then.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it runs like poo poo for a game that doesn't look very good

it's true

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Boar It posted:

Edit:

Now that I think about it I am not sure if the Switch had any form of wake from sleep to download updates on its own either? Might be thinking of playstation consoles or something.

The Switch downloads stuff while asleep. I like coming back to it with stuff already updated (or downloaded if you buy something through the website), but I wouldnt trust the Deck to not self-immolate in the case, so Im glad it doesnt do any of that.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
late to the gyro talk but I've just been setting gyro activation to R4 and I think that's the best way to go about it imo. don't try to act fancy with combining it to another action or anything, squeeze the handle a little bit when you want the gyro at anytime is good and straightforward.

8bitdo really needs to make a steam deck gamepad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

L2 or always on makes the most sense to me

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

L2 or always on makes the most sense to me

For shooters it's what I use, half or whole press. For others, like Crab Champions, I just use contact with the right stick.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Last time they had 2 for $5 Big Macs, I bought 8 and ate 6 right there on the spot as the snow was starting to fall (two for my brother).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Early reports on Ghost of Tsushima are mostly ok and about expected on performance. Decent at 30fps, dont hope for better.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Automata 10 Pack posted:

8bitdo really needs to make a steam deck gamepad

New goon project, let's make a Steam controller of our own.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Are there any updated guides to getting heroic installed and working with sd cards in 2024?

I had it all set up on my old deck and I'm pretty sure I've still got rdr2 on the card but can't remember or find all the steps to do it now for my oled one.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
FYI in case you also dont have the best eyes: I picked up Ghost Song and Dead Cells for a long train ride. Dead cells allows text size increasing and Ghost songs text is small but not a lot.
I am enjoying both games and even the platforming works well on a slightly bumpy train ride.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Suburban Dad posted:

It's not particularly new but I've been preaching about Tiny Rogues for a week or two. I've put like 25 hours into it already. It was $5 on sale and currently still in early access but it feels fully fleshed out. There's so many classes to play and I still find new gear all the time that I've never seen before. It's a bullet hell... and heaven game (avoiding poo poo but it will auto aim for you, you just need to hold down attack) with diablo itemization. If you like diablo type games, hades, or gungeon I think there's a good chance you'll like this one.

Picked this up off your recommendation and can confirm it is extremely good poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PantsBandit posted:

Picked this up off your recommendation and can confirm it is extremely good poo poo.

Hell yeah. It's so fun. There's so many item references and funny sets. I don't want to spoil them for you but I found the ocarina of time and the doom guy set. I've only seen some legendary items like that once, there must be tons I've yet to see. Game is real good. I usually put a lot of stock in the review score on steam and I'm not surprised at all it's overwhelmingly positive.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone else got these grips? https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Protection-Compatible-GripArmor-nintendo-switch/dp/B0CVZSCGNL?th=1 I got them today and they seem pretty good. I mostly just wanted them for when I travel so I can plonk the deck down on any random table on a train etc that may be a bit grimy. And as a bonus I don't have to wipe the device clean as much since I do my best to keep gamer gunk off of my stuff. It seems like the deck still fits in the case no problem even with them on which is great since I don't feel like buying a third party case when the 1TB model's case covers my needs. I am a little paranoid about the sticks not having clearance but taking the liner out and zipping it up it closes easily and I can't hear the sticks clicking/being pushed in. So it seems fine.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm sure it has happened to others ITT before, but i'd rather not randomly go through months of pages looking for a solution.

Has anyone had a problem with the deck being locked on "verifying installation..." at the boot up screen? I had not used my deck in a couple of months, and the battery drained completely. I plugged it in, and a few minutes later I heard the power on chime and noticed that it automatically booted, so I simply walked over and held the power button to shut it down (it was simply at my library at the time), and now, it won't boot and is stuck at that boot screen.

I've tried reverting to an old image of the firmware, which just immediately caused it to try and update, get stuck in the message again, and now there is no old version because they are both stuck on today's date with the problem. I've also tried turning off quick boot in the bios to try and get it to go through a full boot process, to no success.

I'd rather avoid factory resetting or reimaging, so if anyone knows how to unbrick this thing and keep it from bricking itself in the future, I would appreciate it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm sure it has happened to others ITT before, but i'd rather not randomly go through months of pages looking for a solution.

Has anyone had a problem with the deck being locked on "verifying installation..." at the boot up screen? I had not used my deck in a couple of months, and the battery drained completely. I plugged it in, and a few minutes later I heard the power on chime and noticed that it automatically booted, so I simply walked over and held the power button to shut it down (it was simply at my library at the time), and now, it won't boot and is stuck at that boot screen.

I've tried reverting to an old image of the firmware, which just immediately caused it to try and update, get stuck in the message again, and now there is no old version because they are both stuck on today's date with the problem. I've also tried turning off quick boot in the bios to try and get it to go through a full boot process, to no success.

I'd rather avoid factory resetting or reimaging, so if anyone knows how to unbrick this thing and keep it from bricking itself in the future, I would appreciate it.

I had that happen to me a handful of times over the past year including on a flight last week with no Wi-Fi. Every time I just did a couple of restarts (when the deck was unplugged and not connected to anything else) and it was fine. Your thing sounds more complicated though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BabyRyoga posted:

Definitely hit up the Deck thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hey buddythats this thread

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

:psyduck:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lmao

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Seems off topic.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This scenario shares a mood and vibe with the deck somehow bricking itself

I just wanna "play" vampire survivors in bed, damnit

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

...it's very late here lmao sorry :)

e: My Deck does sometimes try to die but I find that repeatedly powering it off and on and swearing will eventually work

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

HopperUK posted:

...it's very late here lmao sorry :)

e: My Deck does sometimes try to die but I find that repeatedly powering it off and on and swearing will eventually work

someone on here had an identical issue. you should ask them about it
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&pagenumber=911&perpage=40&userid=0#post539591605

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm going to bed :mad:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thats some 1:30am posting at its finest.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Great now the thread's stuck in a recursive loop. Gotta restart it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So I got some stuff I would like to play on GOG. I guess Heroic is the way to go? Though I wonder how janky it is compared to getting the same game on Steam. Mafia Classic in this case is cheaper on GOG and I want to get the old medal of honor games from there as well so I'd have to set up Heroic regardless. Assuming those games even work on the deck.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Boar It posted:

So I got some stuff I would like to play on GOG. I guess Heroic is the way to go? Though I wonder how janky it is compared to getting the same game on Steam. Mafia Classic in this case is cheaper on GOG and I want to get the old medal of honor games from there as well so I'd have to set up Heroic regardless. Assuming those games even work on the deck.

Yeah Heroic is fine, it will even add the game as a steam shortcut for you. Older games even tend to run better on linux through wine/proton than a modern system.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Vic posted:

Great now the thread's stuck in a recursive loop. Gotta restart it.

Can anyone help? When I open the Steamdeck thread it just stays on the "check out the steamdeck thread" page and never goes to the thread.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

Daemonqueller posted:

Yeah same behavior for me as well. I chalked it up to the Early Access Experience.

Yeah, it mustve been an EA issue, the last patch seems to have fixed it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Vic posted:

Yeah Heroic is fine, it will even add the game as a steam shortcut for you. Older games even tend to run better on linux through wine/proton than a modern system.

Thanks for the info. Been going ham with buying older games and they all run super well (unsurprisingly given that the deck runs stuff like cyberpunk). Max Payne 2 is glorious, and so is Freedom Fighters. I bought Hidden and Dangerous 2 since I never played it as a kid, but seems like there is no widescreen option out of the box. Seems like you can fix it on windows so I wonder if it is possible on the deck.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Boar It posted:

Thanks for the info. Been going ham with buying older games and they all run super well (unsurprisingly given that the deck runs stuff like cyberpunk). Max Payne 2 is glorious, and so is Freedom Fighters. I bought Hidden and Dangerous 2 since I never played it as a kid, but seems like there is no widescreen option out of the box. Seems like you can fix it on windows so I wonder if it is possible on the deck.

Generally any windows fix will work on deck because wine/proton is mirroring all the windows libraries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Vic posted:

Generally any windows fix will work on deck because wine/proton is mirroring all the windows libraries.

Most anything that ships a .dll file for will need to be manually configured to activate though, like

e.g. if a mod/tweak supplies a loader via dinput8.dll, you need to tell Wine/Proton to use it with

code:
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dinput8=n,b" %command%
in the launch options.