Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

dsriggs posted:

Alvarez with a VINTAGE rant on the booking on the B&V show

Alvarez is often a big dumb baby but every word there was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GoutPatrol posted:

From the 1995 award issue:

Sure sounds like he was on fire there.

Jan 23, 95 Observer

Does this sound like really changed business around?

Dave's analysis as time went on was significantly different than at the time. And just look at those numbers. Hogan did not lift the product's overall popularity, but his shows did much, much better until the product fell off a cliff. I was very anti-Hogan until I looked closely at the much maligned pre nWo 96 numbers and the guy was still a difference maker. They rode the Hogan train for too long, but it was the right short term move.

Starrcade 95 did about half the buys of 94 with an expanding PPV universe. Uncensored 96 with that travesty of a main event did more buys than any PPV in WCW history to that point.

Hogan didn't turn the house shows around, that was Flair/Savage and then the nWo. He didn't really turn ratings around, but he was a huge difference maker on PPV. No question, and justified his contract. Dave will say the same thing, he's said many times that Hogan was worth it until 99. I was in the other camp until I looked at the 96 numbers.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

Alvarez is often a big dumb baby but every word there was right

He does something like this once a year where he gets everything completely right, and then the next show with Dave he's saying something dumb again.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

dsriggs posted:

Alvarez with a VINTAGE rant on the booking on the B&V show

Thanks for posting this. I usually skip the Bryan and Vinny shows but I didn't today because I saw your post and decided to listen in today.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
Bryan melting down because his fantasy booking fell apart is my favorite goddamn thing today.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Bryan melting down because his fantasy booking fell apart is my favorite goddamn thing today.

Hos fantasy booking being unequivocally better because it made actual sense does not seem to be a strike against him. WWE making illogical swerve decisions are getting Russo-esque.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

buy my book, Justified: The Story Of Reasonable Meltdowns Over Wrestling. ISBN-10: 1540442810, ISBN-13: 978-1540442819

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Oh man, if he gets it in his head that WWE should do one particular thing and they don't do it he is inconsolable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

buy my book, Justified: The Story Of Reasonable Meltdowns Over Wrestling. ISBN-10: 1540442810, ISBN-13: 978-1540442819

If Bryan turned his meltdowns and fantasy booking into a book I'd buy it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

If Bryan turned his meltdowns and fantasy booking into a book I'd buy it.

The best audio book ever.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/838610886453493760

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

GoutPatrol posted:

From the 1995 award issue:

quote:

The other key reasons the company was profitable are a major video games sale, which without it, the company even with all the changes would have still lost money this year
So is this:

1. Their royalties from the SNES and Game Boy games, which came out in November 1994 but were barely on anyone's radar (I don't even recall them being promoted on WCW programming)?

or

2. A signing bonus and/or advance on the THQ deal (I have no idea when it was signed, but the first game came out in February 1997)?

or

3. Both?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

Dave's analysis as time went on was significantly different than at the time. And just look at those numbers. Hogan did not lift the product's overall popularity, but his shows did much, much better until the product fell off a cliff. I was very anti-Hogan until I looked closely at the much maligned pre nWo 96 numbers and the guy was still a difference maker. They rode the Hogan train for too long, but it was the right short term move.

Starrcade 95 did about half the buys of 94 with an expanding PPV universe. Uncensored 96 with that travesty of a main event did more buys than any PPV in WCW history to that point.

Hogan didn't turn the house shows around, that was Flair/Savage and then the nWo. He didn't really turn ratings around, but he was a huge difference maker on PPV. No question, and justified his contract. Dave will say the same thing, he's said many times that Hogan was worth it until 99. I was in the other camp until I looked at the 96 numbers.

And Hogan's drawing power is clearly identifiable through 98 as well? Because I find it really hard to fathom it surviving Starcade 97 intact. How do you isolate Hogan's influence from Goldberg and all the celebrities that WCW was involved with that year? Even DDP was a needle mover right, so surely him getting hot and reaching Main Event status was a factor as well in 98 being the year WCW took over the world. Considering Hogan's little game of fighting Goldberg on free TV with like two weeks notice instead of working a PPV program with him, how does one measure Hogan bekng "worth it" in 98?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

And Hogan's drawing power is clearly identifiable through 98 as well? Because I find it really hard to fathom it surviving Starcade 97 intact. How do you isolate Hogan's influence from Goldberg and all the celebrities that WCW was involved with that year? Even DDP was a needle mover right, so surely him getting hot and reaching Main Event status was a factor as well in 98 being the year WCW took over the world. Considering Hogan's little game of fighting Goldberg on free TV with like two weeks notice instead of working a PPV program with him, how does one measure Hogan bekng "worth it" in 98?

That match drew a big gate and a huge rating on that two weeks notice.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah, but didn't they famously draw three gates back to back that were on that same scale without Hogan on the other two? Or am I confusing two different events?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Young Bucks retire bitch

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Basic Chunnel posted:

Young Bucks retire bitch

Are you listening to Cornette again

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sanguinia posted:

Look at it this way - if Cena jumped over to TNA right now by himself, as a face, would he bring them to #1?

Hell no.

Now if 2 other top WWE talents jumped over like Hall and Nash did and started a heel faction capitalizing on Cena's first heel turn, would that bring them to #1? More likely.

That's a good question - what 2 WWE talents would fit that role and make money for TNA? I'm thinking Lesnar and...Punk maybe?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

That isn't a good question at all!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Most of the gate had been drawn before the match was announced.

As for Hogan in 98, Hogan vs Macho Man drew really well as the Uncensored 98 main event and Bash at the Beach 98 with Hogan and Rodman vs DDP and Malone was the second biggest PPV in WCW history. Hogan/Warrior flopped but Hogan vs Flair at Superbrawl 99 outdrew McMahon vs Austin on PPV.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Didn't Hogan/Warrior initially do what would have trended towards a solid gate/buyrate but then drop off as fans saw more of the program on Nitro?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Skinty McEdger posted:

Didn't Hogan/Warrior initially do what would have trended towards a solid gate/buyrate but then drop off as fans saw more of the program on Nitro?

It got a big reaction the first week and Nitro trended up in the ratings in August, and by September the feud was totally dead.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm no Hogan fan obviously, but that has to be on Warrior being mind bogglingly awful and people quickly realizing it

Whoever said "let's give Warrior a live mic for 10 minute+ promos" is a legend

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember Dave saying that watching Warrior's promos was like seeing money getting flushed down the toilet.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Steve Austin was a big star"

- Bryan Alvarez, 2017

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

We've finally found it, the time Bryan Was Right

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
New Generation Podcast has a new show up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All jokes aside, solid drat Bryan and Vinny (and Craig) tonight.

It was so good I didn't get annoyed by Craig.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

"You only get one rear end"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Welp, Raven has a new podcast and his cohost is Johnny Swinger, who is a Trump supporter.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

CombineThresher posted:

Welp, Raven has a new podcast and his cohost is Johnny Swinger, who is a Trump supporter.

Wow, hope we can get back to the day of enlightened political opinions only from professional wrestlers

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

algebra testes posted:

"Steve Austin was a big star"

- Bryan Alvarez, 2017

Vinnie: Let me write this down....

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Wow, hope we can get back to the day of enlightened political opinions only from professional wrestlers

The only real world politics talk I like in my wrestling podcasts s Meltzer discussing the finer points of Russian politics and his scoops on Putin.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Skinty McEdger posted:

The only real world politics talk I like in my wrestling podcasts is Meltzer discussing the finer points of Russian politics and his scoops on Putin.

Yeah, I'd prefer just not hearing wrestlers talk politics at all, even the ones I agree with. Raven had the grace to shut down the politics talk relatively quickly, at least.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Meltzer: Steve Austin shopped for a doctor after the Owen injury until he found someone who cleared him. Then he had the best years of his career. But I'm not saying Steve Austin was doctor shopping.

:allears:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Meltzer: Steve Austin shopped for a doctor after the Owen injury until he found someone who cleared him. Then he had the best years of his career. But I'm not saying Steve Austin was doctor shopping.

:allears:

It's kind of easy to forget how good technically Austin was before the neck injury. Was watching some of his WCW stuff yesterday, and he was great.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So it sounds like Meltzer has been talking to Danielson? Haha

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dave obv talks to bryan a lot. he admitted to directing him to the doctor whose new test found the brain lesions

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wasn't Bryan going to change his style up last time he came back? Before he started taking stiff suplexes and poo poo to test his neck and head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Wrestle Kingdom 13: Daniel Bryan Vs Tomoaki Honma (Farm Match)

• Locked thread