Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
super disappointed I missed my chance to bash on palahniuk because he is just about the most overrated writer around

Anyway I thought ladythread might get a kick out of these pics I took

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i like playing with my cars everyday and my balls my big balls!

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Tempus Fugit posted:

Ugh. Life of Pi was loving awful.

I didn't even bother reading it. Like 75% of the time those life changing books beloved by book clubs are terrible. Sometimes they are good but I'm prejudiced against them from bad experiences. I thought Life After Life had a cool premise though but also the early 1900s are a great setting.

Also the book includes Hitler, there you go.

e: omg Grrrl Sweatshirt that's amazing. :3: also feel free to complain.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Enfys posted:

Last non fic I read was about myelin sheaths

good times

Awwwww yeeaaahhh,myelin sheaths and sodium channels and ranvier nodes and hhnnnggg :fap:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i didnt even like the movie life of pi

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

pixelbaron posted:

i like playing with my cars everyday and my balls my big balls!

manly as hell

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
that kid is going places

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

amarantinesky posted:

I didn't even bother reading it. Like 75% of the time those life changing books beloved by book clubs are terrible.

I refer to them as "Starbucks literature"

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

pixelbaron posted:

i didnt even like the movie life of pi

I started watching that movie Like Water for Elephants or whatever it was called. I was super disappointed the elephants were real, I was expecting a cool metaphor. It wasn't as charming as Big Fish anyway even though it seemed like it was going for a similar tone.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
big fish was good

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Globo-Hitler III posted:

i have a literal library room in my house

its only two walls worth of books yet i have not read most of them

the last one i read i plucked off the shelf at random and it was Hitchcock's "stories not to be read alone" or something

it had a short story by Roald Dahl that featured a guy turning into a bee via eating royal jelly, was good

a sign of a good house is a room filled with bookshelves

Avshalom posted:

true facts: i've been considering doing a full illustrated and completely handwritten edition of solitude to show my devotion

idk what i'd do once i'd finished, have my coochspiders carry it to leonard cohen probably

if you make this I will buy multiple copies

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Pick posted:

I refer to them as "Starbucks literature"

I love this. Definitely stealing it.

The elephant movie was just so predictable too. Intelligent respectable young man has to leave his Ivy League education behind to help his family, he's so noble and poor now. He hops on a train and joins the circus where, luckily, his vet training comes in handy to take care of animals and woo the sexy horse riding lady. :barf:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

pixelbaron posted:

big fish was good

Big Fish bugs me because it means that dude can make good movies, but he chooses to make the movies he does.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

pixelbaron posted:

big fish was good

Movies like this show that you can do a lot in terms of contrasting the idealized with the real in a cool and effective way. Mostly we just see idealized bs and lots of movies that don't play with the concept of portraying realism in fiction at all. Not every movie should do this but I like it when they play with the medium in this way. I think Northanger Abbey could be a really good movie if done skillfully.

e: so much book posting I should stop I just get so excited about books. :smith:

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

apparently in the olden times people used pee on everything

I'm learning so much from this podcast

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Portals posted:

apparently in the olden times people used pee on everything

I'm learning so much from this podcast

Sawbones?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

yep! I'm working my way through the archives and I'm enjoying it so far

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Podcasts where they laugh at their own jokes are the worst

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
m83 is good music

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Portals posted:

yep! I'm working my way through the archives and I'm enjoying it so far

It's one of my favorites.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Podcasts where they laugh at their own jokes are the worst

that is a weirdly specific thing to single out

if I rejected podcasts for that reason I would have to stop listening to the f plus and that is very unlikely

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my internship and i just had our three-week anniversary and we're still as much in love as ever :h:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Backstory and the 99% invisible are the podcasts I enjoy. I listen to more, mainly out of inertia.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
I switched my collection to ebooks because I have no room for all my poo poo otherwise

Also I don't really care about buying books just to display them later, function over form sorry

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i find it hard to pay attention to podcasts

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Chiba City Blues posted:

I switched my collection to ebooks because I have no room for all my poo poo otherwise

I still have a core collection that I don't want to get rid of but yeah, as much as I'd like to have my house full of books I'll have to settle for having living space and all of that so I stick with the kindle.

I actually do have a little more space for books now so I sort of regretted giving away a big chunk of my collection before my last move but oh well!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Inertia Rules Everything Around Me.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i collected vintage medical/surgical textbooks but as soon as i was building up a decent collection (ok it was like 6 books but leave me alone, how many do you have?) my apartment got flooded and the books were lost

in that flood i lost:

1) my vintage medical textbooks
2) my copy of one hundred years of solitude
3) my violin

and nothing else

it was a very poetic disaster

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Avshalom posted:

i collected vintage medical/surgical textbooks but as soon as i was building up a decent collection (ok it was like 6 books but leave me alone, how many do you have?) my apartment got flooded and the books were lost

in that flood i lost:

3) my violin

and nothing else

Vintage medical texts have the coolest illustrations

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

in that flood i lost:

3) my violin

and nothing else

much like many things in your life, that seems almost too perfectly selective to be real

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Chiba City Blues posted:

Vintage medical texts have the coolest illustrations
one of them mentioned that giving chloroform to a colicky baby is a bad idea and recommended heroin as a safe alternative

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
cocaine: the wonder drug

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Portals posted:

much like many things in your life, that seems almost too perfectly selective to be real
the problem wasn't actually the flood, it was that the building was already infested with mould and - as the flood was hot water - my tiny apartment turned into a humidicrib until my lease expired a month later and i was able to move. most of my stuff was either non-porous or could be cleaned, but my books overgrew with mould and were ruined faster than i could try to preserve them, and i forgot about my violin in one of my cupboards until i opened the case while packing to move and found the poor thing inside with all its strings rusted and snapped and the body looking like a cordyceps crab

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
i fell asleep at 9 and woke up at like 12:30
i miss being able to hibernate until i needed to wake up

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Avshalom posted:

one of them mentioned that giving chloroform to a colicky baby is a bad idea and recommended heroin as a safe alternative

heroin was marketed as an aid for kicking morphine and molly was invented by bayer and sold as a weight loss drug

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Avshalom posted:

in the middle of Kant's "On Education" is a little digression on what to do if the mother's milk fails and you have to feed the kid yourself. Step 1: don't give them wine or brandy.

greatest philosopher of his generation :thumbsup:

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
also i have heartburn. why do i have heartburn at 12:30am

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the steam also somehow got under the paint on my bathroom walls and ceiling, forming these apricot-sized balloons of loose paint. they were still hanging there like otherworldly fungi when i moved out

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Chiba City Blues posted:

also i have heartburn. why do i have heartburn at 12:30am

apparently you have the acid reflux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Wildlife Analysis posted: