Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SMG probably layed the smackdown on a lovely review he made about <insert film> and he didn't have a good response to it, and hes never let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm not an expert, but I think generally people post on an internet message board in the hopes that someone will respond to it. So, when people do respond to it, it shouldn't really be surprising or, dare I say, problematic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wish SMG liked wrestling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rick posted:

i dont

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rick posted:

I do.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I wish FMG liked wrestling.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Having more personal experience with this than I'd like, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out what I like to call the SuperMechaGodzilla problem.

More often than not, amidst a glowing review of something, I'll mention a problem I had with it. Be it television, film, pro graps, doesn't matter. But "I really loved this, though the women could've been treated better" often results in pages and pages of people arguing that it wasn't sexist, followed by my responses to said complaints. In the end, it's the bringer of the complaint, even amidst an otherwise glowing review who is condemned for being divisive, and starting a derail. In the end, I was always left wondering why nobody could just "huh. Okay," and move on, having read my opinion, and instead felt compelled to explain to my why it was incorrect for several pages or, if wanting to engage, would later blame me for "continuing the discussion" as if they had no part in it.

And this is where SuperMechaGodzilla comes in. People get irritated at them because they dominate seemingly every discussion in CineD, and every movie thread becomes about Zizek. But it's always on SMG and never the people responding to them.

Similarly, I was told I was divisive for mentioning my personal opinion about something I find sexist, or racist, or whatever, as are everybody else, to the point that you yourself felt the need to post a "I don't want to start a conversation about feminism" and "shouting on internet soapboxes," etc. When more often than not, it isn't somebody so much shouting on a soapbox, but merely mentioning their distaste for something, followed by a pages-long argument that's then blamed on the lodger of the complaint and not, nearly ever, on those who felt the need to impose their views upon the originator of the complaint.

I don't follow NJPW, but somebody posting an article about sexism, if disagreed with, isn't hard to "huh," and move on.

Huh

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Let me clarify:

Saying you didn't like a thing because it's sexist is seen as political and leads to huge derails that are blamed on the person who said a thing was sexist.

As per usual, I say in six paragraphs what I could say in one sentence.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Let me clarify:

Saying you didn't like a thing because it's sexist is seen as political and leads to huge derails that are blamed on the person who said a thing was sexist.

When the crowd chants "What" they aren't telling the wrestler they don't understand.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I am Super Mecha Godzilla.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I am Super Mecha Godzilla.

he's more verbose, RGL

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

LividLiquid posted:

Let me clarify:

but see, this is the thing, you're still just talking. you're just sitting there and yapping, yap, yap, yap. i thought irishmen had potatoes, it looks like you're just smuggling some tater tots.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Bill Goldberg posted:

but see, this is the thing, you're still just talking. you're just sitting there and yapping, yap, yap, yap. i thought irishmen had potatoes, it looks like you're just smuggling some tater tots.

tater tots! tater tots! tate

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Joshi is Joshi and Puro is Puro. Very rarely do they intersect. Part of this is the average age differences between the wrestling groups and the other is the cultural perceptions of how men and women interact.

Its Japan, they do Japanese poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Separate but equal

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why can't puro and joshi just use the family bathroom

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gosh that Dash is a robot song was great.

"I believe that was Gobots"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Edit: never mind already posted in the twitter thread

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Edit: never mind already posted in the twitter thread

What was it?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
let's go chrisley
chrisley sucks

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

I'm assuming the guy making fun of Rovert.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Rodney the Piper posted:

let's go chrisley
chrisley sucks

Chrisley should have ended the Undertakers streak, not BROCK

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'm assuming the guy making fun of Rovert.

It should be posted in every thread

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Rodney the Piper posted:

let's go chrisley
chrisley sucks

This week, Grandma Faye gets on the Tinder and hooks up with a new hot young boyfriend....AJ STYLES

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

LividLiquid posted:

Let me clarify:

I'll sum up my reply in one sentence:

There are a lot of people on both sides of the aisle who are profiting from outrage culture, while not attempting to affect any real change.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

Separate but equal

I like the first part.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I love a WOR where Bryan picks a final question that lets Dave ramble for 15 minutes telling various stories

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan: So is AJ gonna show up on Raw?
Dave: No no no nonono.... well yeah!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Elvis vs Jerry Lawler is a dream match I need to see

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Elvis vs Jerry Lawler is a dream match I need to see

Would Elvis dying from a heart attack in the ring be more dignified than on the toilet?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I am up for more Dave Meltzer Spring Break stories.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Price Check posted:

I am up for more Dave Meltzer Spring Break stories.

We need to send Big Dave to Joey Janelas spring break show.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
One for old school F4W subscribers. Tom put up the Fight Sports Midwest show he co-promoted to celebrate it's ten year anniversary. The show featured the Bryan Alvarez vs Larry Sweeney feud. https://twitter.com/NotThatTomGreen/status/842543662156435456

Jimmy Jacobs chimed in just there too: https://twitter.com/JimmyJacobsX/status/842595215869464576 https://twitter.com/JimmyJacobsX/status/842600129773223936

Check Tom's twitter for more details/memories

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I saw that. The best part was Bryan Alvarez being on the card as "...and many more!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
His mental health issues notwithstanding, do we think Larry would've made it to WWE? He was better used as a manager, and we know how Vince feels about those, given that Enzo Amore is still, nominally, a wrestler for some reason, among myriad other evidence. I can see him having ended up in NXT for a year or two and being fired for not having 'it'.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan: So is AJ gonna show up on Raw?
Dave: No no no nonono.... well yeah!

I love that Dave's brain processes information out loud

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Larry Sweeney certainly SHOULD have been a millionaire. What a loving confident, solid promo he was.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Dave breaking down that the WWE business is pretty much perpetual until the TV contract runs out was fairly interesting.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I mean, there are a quite a few of that era of RoH/indie dudes working behind the scenes/outside the ring (Jimmy Jacobs himself, Sara del Ray, Adam Pearce, Nigel McGuinness) on top of the dudes wrestling, I have no idea if any of them are making seven figures but I could certainly see Sweeney fitting into creative and/or announcing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Is Southpaw Regional Wrestling good enough to get the Pisscast back together when 3/11 day wasn't?

• Locked thread