Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I dont remember thermo being that big a deal? Put in the work and you should be fine, it's not some black wizardry poo poo and heat (energy) transfer is a fundamental concept for just about anything that generates/uses power.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I went to Clarkson, and they used it as one of the engineering student gates since it's a small engineering school. Freshman curriculum is 6 credits each of calculus, calculus-based physics, and chemistry with a lab component. You live through that and they let you do thermo in year 2, which usually nails that last few people who aren't sure about being engineers.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

EBB posted:

I went to Clarkson, and they used it as one of the engineering student gates since it's a small engineering school. Freshman curriculum is 6 credits each of calculus, calculus-based physics, and chemistry with a lab component. You live through that and they let you do thermo in year 2, which usually nails that last few people who aren't sure about being engineers.

The whole year of calc + chem w/ lab + physics is part of my background requirements for my geology degree, but I don't think I'd have made the cut if I'd tried to just ram through it all in Freshman year.

It actually might have been a better strategy than spreading them out, but who knows

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 31, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They let you take calculus and physics at the same time? My school wouldn't let me.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

EBB posted:

This was my junior year with 2 semesters of around 30 units each, consisting of thermo, fluids, properties/strengths, statics/dynamics and electricity. Ugh.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If you aren’t doing over 20 credits a semester you ain’t workin

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

lightpole posted:

I dont remember thermo being that big a deal? Put in the work and you should be fine, it's not some black wizardry poo poo and heat (energy) transfer is a fundamental concept for just about anything that generates/uses power.

I'm just concerned about being an idiot and trying to use the thermo stuff I learned in pchem to the class. But it should be exciting.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I’ve been meaning to ask the director of veteran stuff at the school for awhile since he is really on point about stuff but I keep forgetting but basically does going over the credit limit count against your benefit? I know a lot of people in the SVO are over the limit “out of necessity” but I haven’t really probed how tight they are on what’s “necessary”.

I got some amazing private message advise from booger but I’m still going forward with summer courses but to make the most of it I’m adding another class on top of calculus but it’s a history class that is supposedly one of the easiest courses in the university with non mandatory attendance and no homework with a study guide that tells you what’s on the test and one paper and no final if you do well on the first two tests.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
No, it doesn't matter going over the credit limit. You're either full time, three quarters, half, or one quarter time. Full time is 12 semester hours for undergrad and 9 semester hours for graduate. It only becomes an issue if your school is too expensive that you have to kick into Yellow Ribbon territory, or if you're charged a fee for going over a certain hour limit (mine was $150 for doing 21 credits, 50/credit over 18 a semester) and you want that fee covered by your benefits.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Vasudus posted:

if you're charged a fee for going over a certain hour limit (mine was $150 for doing 21 credits, 50/credit over 18 a semester) and you want that fee covered by your benefits.

What the gently caress

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My school charged you the same amount for "Full Time" status which was defined as 12 to 18 credit hours per semester. You were allowed to go over that limit if you paid a fee, at a rate of 50 dollars per credit hour over. You also had to sign a form and get it stamped by your adviser. It was to discourage people from going over because almost everyone that tries to do that level of courses will either drop a course period, or suffer worse grades overall.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thinking back to doing 18 credits for a math degree + rotc at the same time kind of explains why I started drinking.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I did 18 credit hours for most of my undergrad, which was messy while working full time. Upper class sociology classes require A LOT of reading and a ton of papers to do. I wasn't in a healthy relationship for the entire duration too which didn't help either.

I could have coasted so fuckin' easy, but my stupid rear end didn't see it at the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it's the same for all states, but in Texas, the state pays part of your tuition (except for private schools I guess) so they would be pissed if you take too many classes and end up dropping them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My school did tuition banding. After 12 credits you didn't pay any extra for additional classes. You did need a form or something if you went over 20 I think. But there wasn't any sort of fee to go with it. I did 17 twice. Miserable both times.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Meanwhile I'm over here taking a bullshit 1-unit animal sciences course trying to slide in to 12 units for full-time financial aid consideration. I'm trying to milk this GI bill, not kill myself.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Private school and I want to say the fee for going over is high. I’m glad I’m not taking more “out of necessity” but there are a few 1-2 credit courses out there that add an extremely negligible amount of work out there but even under best case scenarios I’m guessing I’d probably be questioned about trying to cram a schedule with sham classes.

I am exciterd about registering for insanely easy history for my last (and only non-transfer) humanities and less excited to register for calculus of a single variable in a half hour.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Going over credit is good and encouraged if you can do it right. The problem is most people can't, but do it anyway. Taking 21 hours is cool and good if 3-4 of your 7 classes have considerable overlap and you don't have distractions. Hardly ever happens though. People don't understand the concept of cognitive load.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vasudus posted:

I did 18 credit hours for most of my undergrad, which was messy while working full time. Upper class sociology classes require A LOT of reading and a ton of papers to do. I wasn't in a healthy relationship for the entire duration too which didn't help either.

I could have coasted so fuckin' easy, but my stupid rear end didn't see it at the time.

Wait you pulled that poo poo off as a mess and I couldn't even hack 15 at Columbia and take that poo poo on the chin? gently caress I gotta be better at handling my poo poo.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Gray Matter posted:

Meanwhile I'm over here taking a bullshit 1-unit animal sciences course trying to slide in to 12 units for full-time financial aid consideration. I'm trying to milk this GI bill, not kill myself.

Ehhh don't listen to these fuckin try-hards around here

One of my buddies who finished college on the GI Bill told me as a freshman to just try to stick to full-time and not get crazy with it. I went with that. While it did take a summer class every year, I have made it through my degree requirements in 4 years, and would have had money for a minor or a cleverly-overlapped double major if I hadn't wasted so much time failing calc 2 repeatedly

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
During undergrad my highest single regular semester was 21 hour and I think i got 18 hours one summer as well.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Mr. Nice! posted:

During undergrad my highest single regular semester was 21 hour and I think i got 18 hours one summer as well.

What.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

There were three summer semester terms. Two half summer terms and a full summer one. Took some full summer, some first half, and some second half at the same time. I did 3/4 of an undergrad plus extra stuff the navy required in less than two years. I’ll have to check exactly what I did on my transcript, but I was busy in summer 09.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Viva Miriya posted:

Wait you pulled that poo poo off as a mess and I couldn't even hack 15 at Columbia and take that poo poo on the chin? gently caress I gotta be better at handling my poo poo.

I would hardly call it much of a success. As much as I like to think that I've made good choices in life and got by with sheer skill, it's all largely blind luck. There's a reason why my advice is usually on the risk-adverse side of things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pulled up my transcript. I can't for the life of me remember what it was, but I had one 6 hour seminar class, calc II (4 hours), physics II (5 hours counting lab), and stats. Stats was a joke class, but physics II and calc II in a summer was no joke. I made the dean's list that semester surprisingly. This hefty summer load, though, made fall/spring of my final year a joke.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

To add to Thermo chat, my experience was that if you did not handle Diff Eq's well, you did not handle Thermo well. IIRC, every topic that semester was "Ok, here is the Heat Equation, and here are the simplifications that we are going to make to it and now we are going to perform the partial integration of it".

My professor was a younger woman mechanical engineer from Clemson who worked in the Applied Research Lab at PSU and was cool as poo poo. One of my more favorite non-Civ E courses.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This mandatory title IX "training" reminds me of SHARP. Well we told you guys not to rape so we can't ever be accountable in any situation, thanks have a nice day.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
My partner and I have almost managed to have conclusions for our thesis/project and I managed to actually write a (lovely) five page start to it. Three weeks to get a rough in, gonna be cake!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My capstone is due at the end of the month. I currently have nearly 8 pages out of 25. Hoping to have 10 by the end of the day.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

My capstone is due at the end of the month. I currently have nearly 8 pages out of 25. Hoping to have 10 by the end of the day.

Good luck, I'm sure it will go well. Good on you for actually starting early like a sensible person instead of procrastinating like I probably would

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nick Soapdish posted:

Good luck, I'm sure it will go well. Good on you for actually starting early like a sensible person instead of procrastinating like I probably would

No, this is absolutely procrastination. I should have been working on this all semester.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My school is really pissing me off. They have all these ads about being the largest community college in the area, but across all the campuses, there is one in person linear algebra class, and it is at the exact same time and a different campus from the one electrical circuits class they offer. I need to take both this semester. I guess I lucked out in that there are two differential equations classes. One is in the morning, and one is also at the same time as the circuits class and just before the linear algebra class. In their example degree plan, they have all three of these classes in the same semester, so why the gently caress would they schedule them at the same times? I could technically do the two math classes online but I know I won't keep up with an online class, and I don't want to get behind in two advanced calculus classes. There is a second electrical circuits class at a time that works for me and is even at my local campus, but it is closed. I emailed the professor who also happens to be in charge of the engineering department at my campus but he hasn't replied and I'm not sure who else to ask about this. It's super loving annoying that they do this. Everything was fine until they were required to add another day to each semester, and instead they just added five minutes to each class, which hosed up all the scheduling so classes start at like 10:05 or 11:20. If I can't take this circuits class, that means I only have 6 hours next semester, so no BAH money. gently caress.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

McNally posted:

No, this is absolutely procrastination. I should have been working on this all semester.

I've managed to put in a couple hundred hours since November on mine and even more on avoiding it!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cojawfee posted:

My school is really pissing me off. They have all these ads about being the largest community college in the area, but across all the campuses, there is one in person linear algebra class, and it is at the exact same time and a different campus from the one electrical circuits class they offer. I need to take both this semester. I guess I lucked out in that there are two differential equations classes. One is in the morning, and one is also at the same time as the circuits class and just before the linear algebra class. In their example degree plan, they have all three of these classes in the same semester, so why the gently caress would they schedule them at the same times? I could technically do the two math classes online but I know I won't keep up with an online class, and I don't want to get behind in two advanced calculus classes. There is a second electrical circuits class at a time that works for me and is even at my local campus, but it is closed. I emailed the professor who also happens to be in charge of the engineering department at my campus but he hasn't replied and I'm not sure who else to ask about this. It's super loving annoying that they do this. Everything was fine until they were required to add another day to each semester, and instead they just added five minutes to each class, which hosed up all the scheduling so classes start at like 10:05 or 11:20. If I can't take this circuits class, that means I only have 6 hours next semester, so no BAH money. gently caress.

Talk to the profs and they will probably work with you on timing and such.

Also your school only offers one or two class sections of higher level classes because very few people sign up for them. You're talking about classes that are normally handled after you transfer to a four year school.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
They almost didn’t offer a class I needed and in fact since not enough people signed up the instructor is not getting paid the full rate. So I get it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Talk to the profs and they will probably work with you on timing and such.

Also your school only offers one or two class sections of higher level classes because very few people sign up for them. You're talking about classes that are normally handled after you transfer to a four year school.

I get why they only offer a couple of classes. They are at weird times and I don't really mind all that much. I just don't get why they all have to be at the same exact weird times. I signed up for the two math classes and they are even in the same room right after each other, so that works out just fine. I just wish they would have scheduled the circuits class at literally any other time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cojawfee posted:

I get why they only offer a couple of classes. They are at weird times and I don't really mind all that much. I just don't get why they all have to be at the same exact weird times. I signed up for the two math classes and they are even in the same room right after each other, so that works out just fine. I just wish they would have scheduled the circuits class at literally any other time.

The profs themselves either set the times or if they're adjuncts someone in the department just sets them. I've known some professors that have exclusive 8am and followon period classes because they personally wake up early and I've also known some that do not ever have a class before noon.

Basically, it just sucks for students in your unique situation. That's not a common problem for people at a community college as they're usually just there for freshman comp I&II and remedial math.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Good lord, now I'm starting to feel bad about my 5.5 year undergrad degree with a 2.7ish GPA.

Granted I had a MARVELOUS time

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
gently caress writing papers and double gently caress writing sober. What an obnoxious process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

gently caress writing papers and double gently caress writing sober. What an obnoxious process

The professor for research methods class gave very detailed notes on my paper and I was just so over it because I wrote the second half in a hurried scotch fueled haze. I didn't really care that she gave me a 89 on it.