Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

The X-man cometh posted:

His feelings are hurt enough that he'd take a job with the Browns?

I think it's a decent business decision on his part. Prove your worth with another team and build your resume. Packers GM spot isn't likely to open up for a good long while, so if you want to be upwardly mobile it's not a bad call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
His experience is mostly scouting pro personnel, and the Browns have nine figures of cap space heading into next year

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

the bears hosed up. i dont know how or why but i know they did. just you watch

Hrm, how did the last Andy Reid OC hired as NFC North head coach work out? Assuming you can get a once in a generation running back and a hall of fame QB to have one last great spite driven season you've got a good shot at another championship...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

unl33t posted:

Hrm, how did the last Andy Reid OC hired as NFC North head coach work out? Assuming you can get a once in a generation running back and a hall of fame QB to have one last great spite driven season you've got a good shot at another championship...

I will always remember Brad Childress for this.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Deki posted:

I think it's a decent business decision on his part. Prove your worth with another team and build your resume. Packers GM spot isn't likely to open up for a good long while, so if you want to be upwardly mobile it's not a bad call.

This doesn't seem like a business decision. It just seems like an unwillingness to accept that Elliot Wolf likely isn't ready for a GM position.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

hey man, they walked away with a hall of fame DE and a 6 year quality starter at center when it was all said and done. I’ll gladly take a draft with that kind of outcome again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also like most of all the goddamn coaches in the league are from the Andy Reid, Holmgren, Walsh tree in some form or fashion

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abugadu posted:

Pettine is solid, he's been good when given good players on defense (Jets, Bills) and average to below average when given poo poo players (Browns). His last season with the Browns is mildly worrying, but I can't name a major defensive player on that unit outside of Haden.

Wasn't Haden cut before the season

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Deki posted:

Also the Packers gave his current job as Director of Football Operations to Russ Ball as part of the reorganization - looks like he was without a chair when the music stopped. Silverstein says Gutekunst offered him some sort of position, but there's nothing left that doesn't look like a demotion.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Dexo posted:

Also like most of all the goddamn coaches in the league are from the Andy Reid, Holmgren, Walsh tree in some form or fashion

25% of the league's head coaches are Reid or one of his former assistants. Its crazy.

A couple more years and he will nipping at Schottenheimer's heals for most successful head coach without a championship.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Also the Packers gave his current job as Director of Football Operations to Russ Ball as part of the reorganization - looks like he was without a chair when the music stopped. Silverstein says Gutekunst offered him some sort of position, but there's nothing left that doesn't look like a demotion.

The wild thing is that as part of the reorganization, Gutekunst, Ball and McCarthy all report to Mark Murphy. So the Packers' new GM literally doesn't have the authority to hire and fire the coach.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao everyone above and below Mike Mccarthy got fired or moved around.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
This is a pretty bizarre situation.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Dexo posted:

lmao everyone above and below Mike Mccarthy got fired or moved around.

The Caldwell Manuever

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Timby posted:

The wild thing is that as part of the reorganization, Gutekunst, Ball and McCarthy all report to Mark Murphy. So the Packers' new GM literally doesn't have the authority to hire and fire the coach.

Packers fans are speculating that this organization (and the previous moves) are in large part because Ted Thompson sucks rear end at personal communication and there was a breakdown between him and McCarthy. So Murphy is making sure that situation doesn't happen again.

The Browns do this, but so do several other teams in the league. I know the Jags structure have the GM and coach reporting to Coughlin separately.

My concern is less about McCarthy and more about the relationship between Gutekunst and Ball. If Gutekunst doesn't have authority over Ball, that means Ball can be a problem when it comes to signing free agents and extending players.

edit: some thought on this: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/01/08/dougherty-mark-murphys-move-comes-big-risks-packers/1013970001/

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 9, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Packers fans are speculating that this organization (and the previous moves) are in large part because Ted Thompson sucks rear end at personal communication and there was a breakdown between him and McCarthy.

Well, didn't McCarthy start taking snipes publicly at the team for its refusal to sign free agents? Also, Tom Oates of the Wisconsin State Journal flat-out quoted team sources in an article as saying that Thompson had become "increasingly more reclusive" in recent years.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Timby posted:

what is Gutekunst's job even

If he doesn't have authority over the coaching staff and doesn't manage salaries then he's in charge of...drafting and what else?

does he even have authority over second-tier staff like trainers and soforth, or is that also McCarthy's purview

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PupsOfWar posted:

what is Gutekunst's job even

If he doesn't have authority over the coaching staff and doesn't manage salaries then he's in charge of...drafting and what else?

Gutekunst: Roster
McCarthy: Team
Ball: Cap

All reporting to Murphy, who says he wants to be more involved in football operations now and literally said that if, say, McCarthy and Gutekunst are in total disagreement over something, he'll break the tie.

This was the same setup they had in the late '80s, with Lindy Infante and Tom Braatz both reporting to the team president, which led to incredible dysfunction (Braatz and Infante hated each other, so they were both politicking against one another), and ultimately resulted in Bob Harlan making the call to give total control over football operations to Ron Wolf.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think this structure is also in part because Ball was really angling for that GM job and probably would have left if he wasn't promoted in compensation for not getting it, and that McCarthy has over a decade in the franchise as the head coach. So McCarthy got that one year extension, right? If he performs poorly next season I think he's fired (via Murphy, who has seniority and experience on McCarthy -- there won't be a power struggle if Murphy decides to fire McCarthy compared to if Gutekunst attempted it) and Gutekunst will get to hire his own head coach and the structure will revert to a traditional vertical one. If he performs well, then I guess the horizontal structure is working and there won't be changes.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hell yeah, he drafted Booty

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

OxySnake posted:

The Caldwell Manuever

McCarthy is a Milford Man.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This is a pretty complicated situation and I don't know if anyone involved is going to be happy with it if the team isn't successful in 2018. There is going to be a whole lot riding on the coming season.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

I just don't like Mark Murphy having his hands in everything football related. Let him build sled hills or whatever and leave football up to the Gute and McCarthy

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Fenrir posted:

This is a pretty complicated situation and I don't know if anyone involved is going to be happy with it if the team isn't successful in 2018. There is going to be a whole lot riding on the coming season.

I’m just glad they’re trying something different. Even if it turns out to be a disaster it was better to take a chance on new coaching staff than continuing to ride the Dom Capers train to early playoff exits.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Fenrir posted:

or maybe aaron rodgers will come back and they'll win the division because of aaron rodgers and none of this will make a difference

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/950909218290388993

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hell yeah, stay away from vic you chesse-headed churls

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

or maybe aaron rodgers will come back and they'll win the division because of aaron rodgers and none of this will make a difference

Well, the hope is that Rodgers doesn't have to carry the team on his back the way he has for the last few years.

Even a passable league average defense makes the Packers very strong contenders with a healthy Rodgers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not unhappy with this at all. He only really had the one bad season (2nd with Cleveland) and it's hard to blame him for that considering that franchise's history. And without Pettine, Rex Ryan's defenses have looked really bad, giving greater credence to the idea that Pettine deserves credit.

Solid hire IMO given his historical results. Obviously as a fan I don't know much more about the hiring beyond that, but on its face I don't see anything there to be upset about.

I think all that's left is to figure out our positional coaches, decide if Philbin's going to be our OC, then start preparing for the draft?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

BGrifter posted:

I’m just glad they’re trying something different. Even if it turns out to be a disaster it was better to take a chance on new coaching staff than continuing to ride the Dom Capers train to early playoff exits.

Oh, I agree, it just seems like a pretty awkward situation that will not end well if 2018 isn't a good year. McCarthy will probably need a playoff run to save his job and the defense simply must improve.

I like the Pettine hire. Not necessarily my first choice but defense certainly wasn't the problem when he was in Cleveland.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

oh thank gently caress

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fenrir posted:

I like the Pettine hire. Not necessarily my first choice but defense certainly wasn't the problem when he was in Cleveland.

If Pettine could drag Cleveland to its only 7-9 season in like a decade (they haven't had a season better than 5-11 since that 2007 team)...

I mean, the Packers went 7-9 this year. I'm pretty sure the '17 Packers had better talent on defense than the '14 Browns: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014_roster.htm and he still managed 9th in points and 4th in takeaways.

I'm excited to see what he can do with our young players. Capers was wasting them. Clark, Daniels, Martinez, Perry, King, Randall, Clinton-Dix? That's a core you can easily build a solid defense around, and everyone on that list is 27 or younger.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really impressed with how Randall in particular improved over the 2017 season and every player you listed is solid as hell. With a better scheme I really feel like there is a good defense here.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Blowing up their organizational structure so they can keep Fat Mike and the cap guy is awesome. More of that, Packers.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Fat Mike is on a prove it deal. So far the moves have been good.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

nagy probably had a bright future in the NFL, the bears are going to destroy him

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i think the packers moves sound good and that is how i feel about it right now, they could not be good or be good. maybe not. let's see

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Like I said, Fat Mike is probably gone without a convincing playoff run. His seat is practically on fire.

You can't waste this amount of talent forever. Capers was here too long and Mike is responsible for that. This next year is going to be interesting.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 10, 2018

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

trestman would have been fine on a normal nfl team is my hottest take for tonight, justice for the trest man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

R.D. Mangles posted:

nagy probably had a bright future in the NFL, the bears are going to destroy him

Nagy means "big" in Hungarian

• Locked thread