Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
*death, destruction and limbless duels continue unabated on the tarmac of Geronimo spaceport* ... meanwhile, somewhere else on the clan border, the dice all fall sunny side up and after seizing a vital objective the pilots visit their compatriot in medbay with chocolate and flowers to commiserate over a sprained wrist.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Thanks for all that effort into making a history of the pilots in this thread, Readingaccount. How long did it take you to compile all that anyway?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Really nice work, Readingaccount.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

GhostStalker posted:

Thanks for all that effort into making a history of the pilots in this thread, Readingaccount. How long did it take you to compile all that anyway?

A bit over 4 hours (would've been less but I fiddled around a bit), it helps that I like making lists. Plus this is necessary to create a character rooster to subtly encourage mentions/appearances of past pilots in future updates. ;)

Captain Foo posted:

Really nice work, Readingaccount.

You're welcome.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 27, 2013

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Readingaccount posted:

You're welcome.

Whoa, don't get a big head.

Speaking of which, birthday is over, where's my update?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I just compulsively respond politely, I guess that came out sounding wrong. :)

Hopefully the Rifleman kicks off that Shad's leg.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 27, 2013

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Might want to get rid of that acronym at the beginning of that sentence, that's probatable here.

And yes, that Shadow Hawk needs to die already.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

KnoxZone posted:

Kell Hounds brought everybody home and intact :smug:.

Well ok we might have had the easiest mission, but it still counts.

And it always will. :colbert:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Readingaccount posted:

(S) Corporal Janos Valens (ActionZero) - OSR-2C Ostroc - WIA (+3: ?) (mech serviceable)

I'm pretty sure I got through that mission unwounded.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Readingaccount posted:

I just compulsively respond politely, I guess that came out sounding wrong. :)

Great, now I have to wonder how many goons think I'm serious about haranguing PTN about updates...

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
ActionZero: The Ostroc took a 5-LRM Cluster to the head from Ion Rush in update 10 which didn't show up on your character sheet.
Here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=506#post398462298
Or I guess actually errors being canon in the player's favor means Valens didn't get hurt? (Edit: Seems he took a consciousness check though... a mystery wound or the pilot being momentarily stunned? Guess this might be one of those shrapnel pieces that enter the body only to be pushed out after several years.)

TildeATH: Don't worry, I'm also utterly terrible at hearing jokes, even in real life. ;)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 28, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Kell Hounds brought everybody home and intact :smug:.

Well ok we might have had the easiest mission, but it still counts.

I like to think it was metacommentary that the Kell Hounds were given the easiest mission of all. You know, like in the 4SW, where they just kinda hosed off to play slapfight with the Genyosha.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

Whoa, don't get a big head.

Speaking of which, birthday is over, where's my update?

Now that I've finished doing my laundry and buying such sundry things as food (and had some time to start reading the copy of Shattered Sword I got for my birthday)? Soon.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Now that I've finished doing my laundry and buying such sundry things as food (and had some time to start reading the copy of Shattered Sword I got for my birthday)? Soon.

Good read! Shattered Sword is a loving awesome book for anyone who's interested in the Pacific War.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh hey, nobody piloting a Po has ever been so much as injured (which I noticed after figuring out my guy, Ethan Parkinson, has survived three battles).

The PO-2L: safest mech ever.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Food? You just ate yesterday! :mad:

(It works in the Confederation.)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Oh hey, nobody piloting a Po has ever been so much as injured (which I noticed after figuring out my guy, Ethan Parkinson, has survived three battles).

The PO-2L: safest mech ever.

Didn't keep him from blowing up (in, I believe, an ammo explosion) during this mission though...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Breakout: Tactical Update 27

Combat Phase
H1 Rifleman IIC
- Fires ER Small Laser at G9 Shadow Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Arm (4/14 armor remains)!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 42!

H2 Cougar D
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse = 8): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (13/26 armor remains)!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 25!

X2 Exterminator
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse - 2 blindside = 4): rolled 5, hit Right Torso (5/28 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse - 2 blindside = 4): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (10/24 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse - 2 blindside = 4): rolled 4, hit Center Torso (26/40 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse - 2 blindside = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires LRM-10 at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 blindside = 4): rolled 5, 4 missiles hit Left Arm (6/24 armor remains)!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 26!

X7 Vindicator
- Holds fire!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 24!

X9 Cyclops IIC
- Holds fire!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 30!

X11 Merlin
- Fires PPC at S2 BattleMaster (0 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 6): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (16/40 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-5 at S2 BattleMaster (0 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 1 iLK missiles = 5): rolled 5, 5 missiles hit Left Arm(1/24 armor remains)!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 27!

H6 Gargoyle Tjris
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at S2 BattleMaster (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heavy - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (0/40 armor remains)!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 36!

G9 Shadow Hawk
- Fires HVAC-10 (Acid) at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 4): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (damage to structure halved, 14/21 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at H1 Rifleman IIC (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 4): rolled 5, hit Center Torso (9/21 structure remains)! Crit!

S1 Mackie
- Fires Heavy PPC at X2 Exterminator IIC (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 heavy = 12): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires HVAC/10 (HE) at X2 Exterminator IIC (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 9, miss!

S2 Battlemaster
- Torso twists to threaten hex 1612!
- Fires Heavy PPC at H6 Gargoyle (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at X2 Exterminator (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 secondary target = 12): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at X2 Exterminator (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 secondary target = 12): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at X2 Exterminator (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 secondary target = 12): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at X2 Exterminator (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 secondary target = 12): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at X2 Exterminator (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 secondary target = 12): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at X2 Exterminator (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 secondary target = 12): rolled 6, miss!

S3 Awesome
- Fires PPC at X2 Exterminator IIC (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires PPC at X2 Exterminator IIC (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires PPC at X2 Exterminator IIC (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 9, miss!

End Phase:
H1 Rifleman IIC
- Critical chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!

Physical Combat Phase:
H1 Rifleman IIC
- Kicks G9 Shadow Hawk (4 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 Clan pilot - 2 kick = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (0/19 armor, 9/19 structure remains)! Crit!

G9 Shadow Hawk
- Kicks H1 Rifleman IIC (3 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 kick = 3): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (14/30 armor remains)!

End Phase:
G9 Shadow Hawk
- Critical chance in Right Leg! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Lower leg actuator hit!
- - Hip hit!

BattleMechs were the kings of the modern battlefield. Ten or more meters tall, tougher than nearly any combat vehicle to come before them, and blistering with more armaments than most ancient tank divisions. Even the lightest of could level a city in a few hours or days of concerted effort. They could decimate whole armies of conventional soldiers at ranges that rendered them safe from retaliation; with far more mobility than any conventional vehicle could match. BattleMechs were powerful, deadly, and tough.

They were also pathetically easy to knock out, if one only knew how.

Infantry Sergeant Chang Maryweather and the rest of his platoon were just such persons. They had no fancy armor, no army of scientists to turn them into superhuman soldiers, no cybernetic assistance. What they did have was a woven-steel tripwire the width of a strong man’s wrist and time.

They also had explosives.

From Chang’s experience, no `Mech was intimidating when it was laying flat on its face and the First Kestrel’s Shadow Hawk was no exception. Chang strode forward with a casual purpose, he was in no hurry. The machine’s hand flexed and relaxed in a way that only happened when the pilot was stunned. He’d seen it before. He’d see it again.

Crouching low in front of the cockpit’s transplex window, he rapped a single knuckle on the sheet to draw the pilot’s attention then swiftly taped a shaped charge to the vulnerable surface. The pilot popped his cockpit hatch. What else could he do? Chang shrugged, turning his back on the machine as his platoon moved to capture the surrendered pilot.

Salvage was salvage.

Mission Objectives:
Secure the Dropships (incomplete)
Hold off the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers (incomplete)

Optional
Defeat the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers’ 2nd Battalion (37/40)
Death Commandos: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Hell’s Horses (18)
Hell’s Horses: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Death Commandos (19)

Key:
H1 Rifleman IIC, X2 Exterminator IIC, X7 Vindicator,
X9 Cyclops IIC, X11 Merlin, H6 Gargoyle Tjris

Enemy Movement Mods:
S1 Mackie +0
S2 BattleMaster +1
S3 Awesome +0

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 28, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OH poo poo it's JUSTICE FOOT!

...oh and also the Battlemaster's CT is now open. Incredibly... this is still winnable.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Huh, the Shadow Hawk abandoned the field! And then got taken out by off map assets. Good ol' Death Commando anti-mech infantry, doing their thing. Can't let the Hell's Horses Salamanders and Elementals have all the fun.

Now all you guys have to worry about is the remains of the Command Lance. GoonStarCompany is plinking away at the BattleMaster's armor, opening up the Center Torso, and haven't gotten hit at all this turn in response. All in all, a good round!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 28, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So, wait, why did the DCs get the credit for the last kill? That kill was all Rifleman IIc.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 28, 2013

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

quote:

Infantry Sergeant Chang Maryweather and the rest of her platoon were just such persons.

Given that the other possessive pronouns referring to Sgt. Maryweather are masculine, this should read as "his".

As for the turn, Hastur does not need cLPLs to get kills; he will just kick you to death instead. I'm a little disappointed that with the sheer number of weapons pointed at the Battlemaster, not one hit the vulnerable RA. At least its CT is open now. Perhaps we can get some engine hits on it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

So, wait, why did the DCs get the credit for the last kill? That kill was all Rifleman IIc.

If an enemy retreats from the field, the side with fewer kills is credited with the kill. PTN's way of keeping it close.

Great job, Hastur. Rest easy now.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

'Ring-outs' are being given to whichever side has less current kills to maintain tension, PTN noted this a few updates ago.

Huh. Time to play 'ring-around-the-dropship', I suppose.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 28, 2013

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Taking the RA would be nice, but opening up it's CT is better. Killing the whole thing is faster than whittling it down.

Also, jumpypulseboat finally shows off why they're so hated in TT, by absorbing an entire turn of fire to no ill effect. Awwwwww yeah, baby!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe you guys should offer the OpFor the opportunity to surrender.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe you guys should offer the OpFor the opportunity to surrender.

Counterpoint: :black101:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, off-screen DC infantry stole his kill. As I think a few off-screen Salamanders have been nabbing kills for the HH's too, I'm okay with this.

Also, I've never seen so many whiffs at a single `Mech. Andrevian is completely correct, Steve's machine is ballin'.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Even if most of the shots are at it's (now) better-protected back, I think S2 should still be everyone's favorite chew toy. A little luck will blow off it's vulnerable arms or gently caress up a leg.

Otherwise, the Awesome is kinda hanging out there, but :iia: so that's a lot of armor to chew through.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
/Wow/, Steve just freaking GHOSTED his way around all that combined fire. :stare:

Color me impressed.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I refuse to take seriously someone named Mechwarrior Steve.

I mean, come on. Maybe if he was Steev Laserfist or something.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Does "Mechwarrior Steve from Accounting" work for you?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Rorahusky posted:

/Wow/, Steve just freaking GHOSTED his way around all that combined fire. :stare:

Color me impressed.

Heh, Yorinaga ain't got poo poo on Steve.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TildeATH posted:

I refuse to take seriously someone named Mechwarrior Steve.

I mean, come on. Maybe if he was Steev Laserfist or something.

Don't poo poo talk Steve, or you might have an unfortunate run-in with a Mr. Death Cannon.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Quornes posted:

Does "Mechwarrior Steve from Accounting" work for you?

You mean that's a different Steve? Because in my mind, I'm always picturing some schmuck with a cowlick and a pocket protector, figuring best hit-chances for and against with his calculator watch.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All this talk about Steve has people forgetting that Hastur's kill was stolen by Chang.

Yes, this is who I imagine is leading the DC infantry.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

All this talk about Steve has people forgetting that Hastur's kill was stolen by Chang.

Yes, this is who I imagine is leading the DC infantry.

The exact reference I wanted you to make. Good work.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
And even if those had reached the to-hit value the terrain would've absorbed any leg hits. Truly masterful positioning Xarbala!
Lezze what damaged compartments we've got...

Battlemaster: LT 1/A, CT 0/A, RT 5/A, LL 14/A, RL 13/A, LA 1/A, RA 12/S
Awesome: pristine
Mackie: pristine? I thought it had been damaged, but I couldn't even find a single shot aimed towards it.

This is a level of focus fire maneuvering we haven't seen before in this thread.
And I think Hastur's machine has absorbed more of its comparative (if not outright absolute) total damage value in attrition of any mech so far without going down.

Hmmm, so far we have 5 out of 18 pilots dead. The death ratio will average out with one more fatality. Defy the odds GoonForce!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 28, 2013

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Practically a perfect turn for goons, especially because PTN was feeling generous and withdraw the last shadow hawk. G9 could have just stood there with a bum leg and shot our rifleman to pieces. After that, the enemy command lance just whiffed everything.

So...how the heck do we secure the dropships? Is PTN strategically positioned such that we'll have to kill em' all?

And...what is the rifleman going to do with a small laser? drat laser has a range of 3, it'll be two turns minimum before anything happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

enigma74 posted:

Practically a perfect turn for goons, especially because PTN was feeling generous and withdraw the last shadow hawk. G9 could have just stood there with a bum leg and shot our rifleman to pieces. After that, the enemy command lance just whiffed everything.

So...how the heck do we secure the dropships? Is PTN strategically positioned such that we'll have to kill em' all?

And...what is the rifleman going to do with a small laser? drat laser has a range of 3, it'll be two turns minimum before anything happens.

CERsmall. Max Range is 6.

• Locked thread