Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I want to recruit cima but in matrimony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

oh, weird but ok

They're wrong. It's based on the episode. Amuro isn't in the manga, while he's one of the leads in the movie. It's a way for Yas to finally have Amuro as part of an animated Origin project without adapting the whole thing.

Apparently, he's pretty excited for the redesign of Doan's Zaku.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just finished Reco-G. Beautiful show, but the plot became incomprehensible towards the ends.

I like that you can lift up a mobile suit’s pilot seat and use it as a toilet.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd say it was still oyw char, since almost keeping up with amuro at that time is still miles ahead of any other pilot.

I mean char doesn’t “keep up” with amuro in the OYW, is the thing. He handily outflies him in their first couple engagements but then Amuro blows past him and every other pilot in the setting by the shows end, and Char only didn’t lose his skin because kycilia kept giving him the newest shiniest toys for a massive tech advantage over the rapidly obsoleting gundam, which even then only really allowed him to successfully run away and not die at a baoa qu.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a very distant second place is still second place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what about the greatest pilot in the entirety of the uc, that guy in the byarlant in unicorn

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He was a Titan so he's obviously a jackass, but then so was Yazan and everyone likes him, so it evens out.

The Byarlant's main accomplishment is showing just how poorly equipped the Geara Zulu is for ground operations. The Zee Zulus got shredded in seconds.

The Marasai almost got him though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arc Hammer posted:

He was a Titan so he's obviously a jackass, but then so was Yazan and everyone likes him, so it evens out.

The Byarlant's main accomplishment is showing just how poorly equipped the Geara Zulu is for ground operations. The Zee Zulus got shredded in seconds.

The Marasai almost got him though.

Not really, only damage he took was losing a propellant tank, so mostly cosmetic damage

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Poor Ajis Aziba shows that's not necessarily true. It's just 80-90 percent likely to be true.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whoops, all monshas!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean char doesn’t “keep up” with amuro in the OYW, is the thing. He handily outflies him in their first couple engagements but then Amuro blows past him and every other pilot in the setting by the shows end, and Char only didn’t lose his skin because kycilia kept giving him the newest shiniest toys for a massive tech advantage over the rapidly obsoleting gundam, which even then only really allowed him to successfully run away and not die at a baoa qu.

It makes me kind of sad that the RX-78 wouldn’t be able to stand up to a current mass production model by the beginning of Zeta. Hell, the Mk. II went from godly to rice paper by the end of Zeta. It was a joke in Zeta. An actual sight gag.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

MK II wasn’t even particularly godly at the beginning of Zeta, it was just an above average suit that introduced some cool new tech and movable frame. The Marasai I think was already good enough to keep up with it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

It makes me kind of sad that the RX-78 wouldn’t be able to stand up to a current mass production model by the beginning of Zeta. Hell, the Mk. II went from godly to rice paper by the end of Zeta. It was a joke in Zeta. An actual sight gag.

It's not the suit, it's the pilot inside. In ZZ, we see Elle clean house in the II, because she's a pretty solid pilot and most of Neo Zeon is worthless.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drrockso20 posted:

Not really, only damage he took was losing a propellant tank, so mostly cosmetic damage

I guess "almost" is doing some heavy lifting here. The Marasai did what the other remnants couldn't and actually landed a hit, albeit a glancing hit only. Hell the other suits were so confused by the Byarlant that the Kapool got turned into a meat shield and the Zogok ended up shooting on his comrade.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one ever expects the super ace byarlant because what the gently caress?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no one ever expects the super ace byarlant because what the gently caress?

I mean, it's a Byarlant. It has piddly little hands that can't hold guns so its almost entirely dependent on melee combat. You go in all sturmfausts and bazookas a-blazing and then this jumped up jet engine with a suit attached to it hops out of a building and kills a third of your attack force in three minutes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not the suit, it's the pilot inside. In ZZ, we see Elle clean house in the II, because she's a pretty solid pilot and most of Neo Zeon is worthless.

When will SRW reflect this by giving Elle top-tier stats? :argh:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

amigolupus posted:

When will SRW reflect this by giving Elle top-tier stats? :argh:
They persistently undervalue ZZ for being live-action, I figure.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RevolverDivider posted:

MK II wasn’t even particularly godly at the beginning of Zeta, it was just an above average suit that introduced some cool new tech and movable frame. The Marasai I think was already good enough to keep up with it

This is true; the MkII was intended as a testbed for some baseline new technologies that could be easily mass produced, so it wasn't the ridiculous leap over its contemporaries that the RX-78 was. It succeeded in that it was easy to replicate - the Barzam was functionally a mass production Gundam MkII with a different armor shell, for all intents and purposes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
From what I've read the base MK II is supposed to be only marginally better than the original RX-78-2, which still puts it ahead of the GM-II and Hizack mind you

Marsupial Ape posted:

I mean the Regelg is literally just a Gelgoog with some additional boosters and some new weapons and that was more than enough to bring it up to par with brand new ZZ era MP units, so I imagine old Grandpa Gundam wouldn't need much if anything to be competitive, especially if Amuro is the one piloting it, which is indeed what we get in SRW 30

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean, it's a Byarlant. It has piddly little hands that can't hold guns so its almost entirely dependent on melee combat. You go in all sturmfausts and bazookas a-blazing and then this jumped up jet engine with a suit attached to it hops out of a building and kills a third of your attack force in three minutes.

The beam guns the Byarlant Custom has definitely seemed more than adequate considering they tore through everything they hit like a hot knife through butter

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

They're wrong. It's based on the episode. Amuro isn't in the manga, while he's one of the leads in the movie. It's a way for Yas to finally have Amuro as part of an animated Origin project without adapting the whole thing.

Apparently, he's pretty excited for the redesign of Doan's Zaku.

I have to assume that they'll pull in some elements from the manga. They've got a lot of other material about Doan's backstory and such to add. But we probably won't see whatever is going on here

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Nessus posted:

They persistently undervalue ZZ for being live-action, I figure.

This deserves more appreciation. Well done.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The MkII was basically outdated by time you get to the mid point of Zeta, it's just astounding how often the opposition puts out poo poo suits that let said clunker be competitive. The MkII and the Hyaku Shiki should not have been relevant past the end of Zeta both were realistically outclassed by the end of that run. The ZZ Gundam Team gimmick just goes to show how poo poo Neo Zeon is for talent by time it all comes to a head. Elle becomes a good pilot by the end, but they spend the first 20 bumbling around getting lucky their opponents are total jobbers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Marsupial Ape posted:

Not really. Any new prototypes and one off customs produced after about episode 8 (when the Messala debuts) are better than the base Mk II, but I don't think any of the mass produced units are better than it. Not even relatively late game units like the Barzam. Which is just a mass produced Mk II in a new suit, as someone else pointed out. Other mass production units have luna titanium armor, but (a) luna titanium is almost worthless by that point anyway, given the proliferation of beam weaponry, and (b) the Mk II still appears to be faster and to have access to weapons and systems that units like the Nemo don't. Most importantly, the G-Defensor (though the Nemo does get one in supplementary material), which increases the Mk II's offensive options and performance to the point it can keep up with even late game one off custom units like the Palas Athena.

Mind you, it's probably not even every one off custom or prototype after that, since neither the Methuss or the Dijeh appear to be obviously superior to the Mk II at the very least. A lot of the ones that are seem to be superior mostly because they can transform and fly within an atmosphere too; like the Asshimar and Gaplant. A feature that later units even in the Gryps War, like the Qubeley and Scirocco's final units, all drop. The transformation mostly offers more agility in space, but later units appear to have found ways to up the agility without transforming and ditched the concept.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I like how the mkII's vulcan pod makes it look like it's wearing headphones

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The MkII was basically outdated by time you get to the mid point of Zeta, it's just astounding how often the opposition puts out poo poo suits that let said clunker be competitive. The MkII and the Hyaku Shiki should not have been relevant past the end of Zeta both were realistically outclassed by the end of that run. The ZZ Gundam Team gimmick just goes to show how poo poo Neo Zeon is for talent by time it all comes to a head. Elle becomes a good pilot by the end, but they spend the first 20 bumbling around getting lucky their opponents are total jobbers.

The most important thing about the Mk.II is that it firmly hits the baseline of 'good enough' for a military mobile suit. It's got decent speed and agility, a shield, a beam rifle, a set of beam sabers, and a couple of bazookas. When it comes down to it, that's all you really need in a fight, and pilot skill can take care of the rest. The Hyaku-Shiki, meanwhile, is basically the same, except that it's got slightly more protection against beam attacks and a superior AMBAC system.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And outperforming GM 2s isn't much of an accomplishment. Most of the GM 2s are just refurbished GM 1 frames with some new parts and a firmware update.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

And outperforming GM 2s isn't much of an accomplishment. Most of the GM 2s are just refurbished GM 1 frames with some new parts and a firmware update.

While relatively cheap, the MKII was sadly actually somewhat effective in battle, and that just isn't what the Federation is looking for in a mass-produced suit

drrockso20 posted:

I mean the Regelg is literally just a Gelgoog with some additional boosters and some new weapons and that was more than enough to bring it up to par with brand new ZZ era MP units, so I imagine old Grandpa Gundam wouldn't need much if anything to be competitive, especially if Amuro is the one piloting it, which is indeed what we get in SRW 30

tbf the Gundam is explicitly outdated and underpowered in that game, it only ranks above the MP suits because Amuro decides to just start chucking his bazooka at people

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 31, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

While relatively cheap, the MKII was sadly actually somewhat effective in battle, and that just isn't what the Federation is looking for in a mass-produced suit

The GM III was a genuinely excellent mass-produced suit that was directly developed from the Gundam Mk.II (to the point where it could also equip the G-Defenser), and had a respectably fast turnaround from prototype to production. The Jegan and Jesta were also very respectable machines. The problem was that by the time they got rolled out, the Federation no longer even had the faintest vestige of interest in preventing angry spacenoids from dropping things on Earth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's worth recognizing that the bulk of MP units are absolutely fine for the people who pilot them even if they're not the strongest. Having a custom ace suit isn't really relevant unless you are abnormally talented or Newtype enough to make actual use of it and a lot of the high-end suits aren't going to perform much better than a Jegan in the hands of most pilots. The bulk of what any pilot needs is a reasonably strong gun and something to point it at.

Pretty much every major ace suit is gonna be probably worse than a nice reliable GM because they tend to be custom-tuned to the weirdness of their pilot.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's worth recognizing that the bulk of MP units are absolutely fine for the people who pilot them even if they're not the strongest. Having a custom ace suit isn't really relevant unless you are abnormally talented or Newtype enough to make actual use of it and a lot of the high-end suits aren't going to perform much better than a Jegan in the hands of most pilots. The bulk of what any pilot needs is a reasonably strong gun and something to point it at.

See jerid, who consistently left every fight looking like a clown no matter how fancy a mobile suit he got handed that day

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much every major ace suit is gonna be probably worse than a nice reliable GM because they tend to be custom-tuned to the weirdness of their pilot.

I mean, whenever we get an ace comparing GMs to GM customs, they tend to get pretty grouchy about the differences, and whenever mooks get an upgrade, they tend to talk about how they can feel the power. The elite suits tend to be able to take a hit, move faster, hit harder, and generally do more.

An interesting gap in design philosophy is that One Year War Zeon mook suits seem to have a much higher use ceiling than basic GMs. Char's Zaku is the most famous example, but in general, Zakus tend to be able to do what the pilot wants, even if they're tinfoil, while GMs are built with more restrictions to help rookies that make life worse for vets.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

See jerid, who consistently left every fight looking like a clown no matter how fancy a mobile suit he got handed that day

why did they keep giving him suits anyway

well I guess he actually survived his battles, which is unusual for titans pilots

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

why did they keep giving him suits anyway

well I guess he actually survived his battles, which is unusual for titans pilots

He survived against Amuro.

Guy's a full on cockroach.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerid was in the awkward position of being pretty low on the "extremely talented pilot" tier, so he was good enough to survive and score some successes which is more than most pilots can say, but not actually a super ace. He's like Yamcha vs Goku

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Jerid was in the awkward position of being pretty low on the "extremely talented pilot" tier, so he was good enough to survive and score some successes which is more than most pilots can say, but not actually a super ace. He's like Yamcha vs Goku

The main difference is that death stole his girlfriends instead of Kou doing it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The main difference is that death stole his girlfriends instead of Kou doing it.

While I get the joke, the idea of Kou stealing anyone's partner has me howling.

Don't go Nina! :qq:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
He stole Kelley from Gato Lateura.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Jerid's credentials are established primarily by the fact that he consistently comes back alive from missions that kill everyone else, which is a pattern that continues until the Titans as an organization dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think one thing that does matter is how their survivability toolkit matches up to the requirements of the current battlefield. If mobile suits rely on armour to survive, how's theirs? If they rely on agility to survive, can they dodge? That's where suits like the GM II fail. They're genuinely not good for the basic task of keeping their pilots alive. Of course, the other question is whether they have the firepower to reliably bring down enemy suits and warships. That's not a problem from mid-Gryps onwards, when everyone's got beam weapons, but it was the reason that the Zaku became obsolete so fast.