Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Those are basically the three fights I’m thinking of that are actually good as well as a handful of druggie fights. I also recall the last fight with Andrew not being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I think the most interwdting fights in Seed, or at least ones with any amount of tension, are the ones where Mwu's in the sky grasper and some of the battleship to battleship fights. Lacus's escape was also pretty decent. Still ugly as sin regardless.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're talking bad pilots, I find it interesting how Setsuna... kinda sucks in season 1. There's a much better look to the fights in 00, but a lot of that is showing Setsuna loving up. Ramba Ral's insult holds very true for him. It's the Gundam that won the fights. Not him.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
That was pretty much all of the Gundam Meisters in S1 until the GN-X's showed up and they actually started needing to be good pilots to widen the gap or risk getting completely demolished

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GN-X is still the best fédération grunt

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

GN-X is ugly and Graham was right to stick a GN drive on a Flag instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

00 exists in a weird area where the rival pilots are always better than the protagonists except the protagonists have better robots so it evens out. Especially when you gets stuff like Allelujah being half-functioning for most of the second season or Lockon 2 Lock Harder piloting a robot designed for his brother who has a different fighting style or Tieria just kinda blowing in general. Setsuna makes the most marked improvement of the lot but still always feels like he's got a one-up on most of what he faces.

And even then he manages to tie-slash-lose to Reborns Gundam because Ribbons got away with his GN drive and even then he basically fought to a standstill vs Ribbons in the literal shittiest Gundam in the setting versus an upgraded Exia.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Tieria is a lot better than he usually lets on (especially when piloting Nadleeh/Seraphim), but Virtue/Seravee usually definitely do not fare well against mobile suits with any degree of maneuverability

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

GN-X is ugly and Graham was right to stick a GN drive on a Flag instead.

Man S1 Graham was so good.

I'm sad 00 never really goes into how Aeolia Schenberg was kind of a dickhead. Celestial Being was an incredibly unstable and often blatantly psychotic organization that he set into motion and then froze himself so he wouldn't have to deal with it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

00 exists in a weird area where the rival pilots are always better than the protagonists except the protagonists have better robots so it evens out. Especially when you gets stuff like Allelujah being half-functioning for most of the second season or Lockon 2 Lock Harder piloting a robot designed for his brother who has a different fighting style or Tieria just kinda blowing in general. Setsuna makes the most marked improvement of the lot but still always feels like he's got a one-up on most of what he faces.

And even then he manages to tie-slash-lose to Reborns Gundam because Ribbons got away with his GN drive and even then he basically fought to a standstill vs Ribbons in the literal shittiest Gundam in the setting versus an upgraded Exia.

Yeah, it feels like they leaned into the machine defining the pilot for a while there, with SEED and 00 both having their heroes win because they had the best machine, as opposed to Amuro being emphasized as someone who won because of his own abilities.

Really, it feels like Amuro and Mika are the leads who get emphasized as The Best Pilot, unstoppable monsters. Most protagonists are high tier, but not treated as unreachable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wing goes the hardest with Heero getting absolutely bodied in the opening minutes and not becoming a real threat for like twenty episodes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, it feels like they leaned into the machine defining the pilot for a while there, with SEED and 00 both having their heroes win because they had the best machine, as opposed to Amuro being emphasized as someone who won because of his own abilities.

Really, it feels like Amuro and Mika are the leads who get emphasized as The Best Pilot, unstoppable monsters. Most protagonists are high tier, but not treated as unreachable.

Some others get defined as The Best Pilot, but only because of their superior genetics making them just Built Different as opposed to any real skill. I know Coordinators being Just Better is a plot point in SEED but Kira has that Ultimate Coordinator bullshit so he still counts. Setsuna has that Innovator thing and AGE has X-rounders(and also SUPER PILOTO which is completely different but, in practice, exactly the same)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ultimate Coordinator just means he isn't sterile

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Ultimate Coordinator just means he isn't sterile

nah he's also vaguely just innately Better

and he's also a newtype for some reason???

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Setsuna is pretty crap for the first season, but rapidly improves towards the end. He would’ve been slaughtered by Sergei in their fight if Sergei’s suit wasn’t so massively outclassed. He’s good by the end of S2, but he’s still carried to an extent by the 00 Raiser being such an insane monster that completely outclasses everything else by a mile except for Reborns.

Tieria’s actually significantly better in Season 2 as well and does some clever stuff his suit just doesn’t keep up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
#0220 - Old Grudge: Revenge of the Space Police

Introducing a couple of space police(?)/defenders, its their last mission before retiring to a colony/planet and starting a family. Oops, all dead. Dang pirates! :argh:

Revenge of the Space Police sounds like a bad movie from the 80s. Yooooooooo time to fight NEO CANADA! We have neo-lumberjacks, hopped up on neo-poutine. Be careful, Domon.

Imagine coming to Canada and just being an rear end and upset. Totally un-Canadian. Mr. Graham invites Domon onto his boat, then provides valuable information for Neo Japan's fighter. Canada and Japan, confirmed best friends forever.

Wait... Domon literally asks Graham if they can partner up to fight Bolt, which Graham agrees in exchange for information on Neo Russia's gundams. Now they are mad at eachother and fighting.

In the Future™, Neo Canada's only functioning submarine doubles as a Gundam. Neo Edmonton has sacrificed much.

Level 1 defensive measures? Surely, that's overly cauti*explodes in a fiery ball of death* Domon gets captured, willingly, then convinces the Russians to help him.

Yoooo what the gently caress Argo killed Graham's wife. Russia loving sucks even in the future. Oh, Argo was the space pirate and he MURDERED ANDREW'S WIFE. Graham put on like 400 pounds after being a space cop. The future is wild; the lumberjack regimen is real.

Ok, Graham, you can't say that Rain reminds you of your wife just for you to gutpunch her. Dick loving move my guy. I would like to stress that Andrew's actions do not reflect Canada's interests, Neo or otherwise.

Oh yeah!

Domon stops the Neo Canada fighter from winning, even though doing so would rescue Rain, because Neo Canada has already stated he doesn't give a poo poo about the actual fights...

So Domon "breaks up the fight", attacks the cockpit directly, almost kills his partner, and Neo Russia simply takes advantage of the situation, because Domon is a moron.

Turns out the Space RCMP actually caused the accident that murdered his wife. Can't believe they are handing out starlight rides even in this universe...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

#0220 - Old Grudge: Revenge of the Space Police

what an episode title

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Get hosed canada

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Yinlock posted:

nah he's also vaguely just innately Better

and he's also a newtype for some reason???

Coordinators are gene-tweaked a bit in the womb but are still born naturally; there's a limit to how much their genes can be played around with safely.

Kira is the Ultimate Coordinator because he was gestated in an artificial womb and was completely genetically redesigned to be perfect.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
When you finish G Gundam you should go watch some of Imagawa's non Gundam works

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Coordinators are gene-tweaked a bit in the womb but are still born naturally; there's a limit to how much their genes can be played around with safely.

Kira is the Ultimate Coordinator because he was gestated in an artificial womb and was completely genetically redesigned to be perfect.

Which is really funny in SRW J, since that has G Gundam too. Turns out that genetically engineered supermen aren't as tough as a New Yorker with a grudge against clowns.

Actually, thinking of it... Domon's also a top tier pilot. It's not something you think of as much since G-Gundam's a martial arts show rather than a war story, but he's constantly shown to be one of the strongest on his own merits, even if he tends to win at the last second with a comeback rather than constantly being in the lead.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
"Ultimate Coordintaor" really just means "exactly as designed" compared to standard Coordinators that can both have genetic flaws and intended genetic tweaks being overriden by the influence of the parents genetics. It's easy to miss because imperfect Coordinators of note only show up in side story material.

CE kind of has a creative direction of "it's about the vibe, don't sweat the details" while being part of a franchise that is very details focused (or at the very least, has details focused fandom)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RevolverDivider posted:

Setsuna is pretty crap for the first season, but rapidly improves towards the end. He would’ve been slaughtered by Sergei in their fight if Sergei’s suit wasn’t so massively outclassed. He’s good by the end of S2, but he’s still carried to an extent by the 00 Raiser being such an insane monster that completely outclasses everything else by a mile except for Reborns.

Tieria’s actually significantly better in Season 2 as well and does some clever stuff his suit just doesn’t keep up.

Setsuna is an exceedingly mediocre pilot who is outskilled by basically everyone he ever fights but is being carried by a giant technological advantage from beginning to end. The Exia is so far beyond everything he ever fights in S1 before the Thrones/Alvaaron that he might as well be using a phaser gun against cavemen; against the Thrones he's saved by Tieria's cheat button, and against the Alvaaron he's saved by the Exia literally being designed as a countermeasure against GN fields.

In S2 he upgrades to the 00, which is using black box infinite power generation technology that even his biggest rivals(the Susanoo and the Reborns) can only field crippled bastardized versions of. Even in the very final clash of the TV series, Setsuna is back in an improved Exia, which is three generations beyond the improved 0 Gundam that Ribbons has.

Pretty much the only time in the entire franchise where Setsuna isn't pulling the Civilization style tanks-against-spearmen against his opponent is the very brief bit in the movie where he's in a tweaked out Flag.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

He also manages to push Arche around enough in S2 despite being wounded and all though it's not quite a complete stomp.

I feel like Mika's a good example of a pilot who can be insanely powerful but is shown to be specialized in a way that makes him strong but not impossible to plan afor/plan around.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I dunno about him being saved by the Trial System against the Thrones; Setsuna was matching with them pretty well, Tieria on the other hand, wanted to kill all three of them immediately. Not that the Trinities were particularly good themselves, but they were competent enough. Setsuna was also able to match the GN Flag after depleting his weapons and having the post-Trans-am performance drop and we know Graham was a better pilot than any of the Meisters + the Flag wasn't a bad unit either.

00 Gundam was flat out gimped compared to every rival Setsuna came across before he got the 0 Raiser, I think a few of the Innovades and Graham himself note that Setsuna was good but being let down by an objectively incomplete and unreliable machine. Also managed to fight Ali and incapacitate the Arche while bleeding out from a GN bullet wound, and went on to fight Graham's Masurao after treating his wound by putting a couple pieces of bandages over it and almost passing out again with pretty comparable machines against slightly better pilots pretty evenly rather than flat out stomps (at least at that point)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 2, 2022

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Does Mika ever actually pilot a mobile suit that isn't fused to his nervous system? Like he basically has such a higher skill floor than almost every other pilot in the setting because he had more nanomachine surgeries than anyone else and practically becomes his mobile suit.

Like I don't even know if its fair to use the word pilot for what he does, it is such a level beyond that.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 2, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ethiser posted:

Does Mika ever actually pilot a mobile suit that isn't fused to his nervous system? Like he basically has such a higher skill floor than almost every other pilot in the setting because he had more nanomachine surgeries than anyone else and practically becomes his mobile suit.

Like I don't even know if its fair to use the word pilot for what he does, it is such a level beyond that.

Elaborate suicide?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seemlar posted:

"Ultimate Coordintaor" really just means "exactly as designed" compared to standard Coordinators that can both have genetic flaws and intended genetic tweaks being overriden by the influence of the parents genetics. It's easy to miss because imperfect Coordinators of note only show up in side story material.

CE kind of has a creative direction of "it's about the vibe, don't sweat the details" while being part of a franchise that is very details focused (or at the very least, has details focused fandom)

The weird thing is that it still has all the guidebook details and the like you get in UC, PD, and AD. It just doesn't care about them.

You get the vibe thing in FC and AC, but they have a setup that doesn't even begin to explain how Mobile Suits work. CE is neither fish nor fowl there, with enough detail to require specific guidebooks and technobabble, but not so much as to actually work as science fiction.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mika's peers were gundam pilots from the calamity war. there's no way to tell how he would have compared to them. for the people he actually met and fought against, it's even harder to compare because mika was playing an entirely different ballgame in another state.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

When you finish G Gundam you should go watch some of Imagawa's non Gundam works

Absolutely watch Giant Robo. It's loving amazing. I remember waiting years for the final episode to come out and it was worth it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Finishing all Gundams comes first, then whatever recommendations I get :)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Turns out the Space RCMP actually caused the accident that murdered his wife. Can't believe they are handing out starlight rides even in this universe...

Oooof

For people not aware of Canadian police atrocities, a "starlight tour" is the practice of arresting an indigenous person on a trumped up charge of drunkenness or disobedience, driving to the edge of town, dumping them out on the highway in freezing temperatures in the dead of night and then leaving them to die.

Thankfully the Lumber Gundam is a good ole' Big Joe Mufferaw type and not fashioned after an RCMP murder squad.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 2, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Andrew Graham is a good, if flawed, individual. Space Police (RCMP) is hosed up.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I gotta say Jobbo, you're getting me hyped to get to G-Gundam ASAP since I haven't watched it since the Toonami days.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was gonna pick through a bunch of the SEED posts but didn't like dealing with all the quote blocks, so

in terms of aesthetics i'm not having issues with the use of CG when it comes to the Archangel or BuCUEs etc. they're fine for what they are, and something like the ablative gel for reentry is legit cool. it's just general stuff like the coloring (classic early digital anime problem) and constant lens flares. plus i'm watching non-remastered so it has SO MUCH awful recapping. episodes leading with 2 minute recaps like this is One Piece and then full-on recap episodes that i know the remaster at least condenses. but then, the fight choreography issues and general flow of fights is a compounding issue. having just started the desert arc, i don't think i've hit any of these big highlights being mentioned? i wouldn't say the early episodes were particularly bad, Kira scored a few grunt kills that flared up the ZAFT boys and you have stuff like Blitz's stealth op really reinforcing the under-the-gun-and-on-the-run feeling of the Archangel crew. flow-wise, i feel like these fights all have some degree of Kira and the ZAFT Gundams flailing ineffectively at each other until they've padded enough to lock in some consequence like with Flay's dad or the refugees. it does kind of bug me that all these consequences are externalized and we haven't seen more direct/significant losses or damage to Archangel or ZAFT sides, but that's more of a personal preference. they absolutely wimped out on an eyepatch for Yzak though.

i know one post mentioned the ship combat being a highlight and i would also agree there. especially with i think the first fight post-Blitz's stealth attack where you have them actively calling out countermeasures to the enemy Gundams in a way that is super cool even if executed through pretty rote missile animations and stuff. same goes for them having now hit Earth and having terrain complicate the fight more than a boring void of space does.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mika's peers were gundam pilots from the calamity war. there's no way to tell how he would have compared to them. for the people he actually met and fought against, it's even harder to compare because mika was playing an entirely different ballgame in another state.

There's three other pilots who were doing roughly the same thing as Mika. He beat Ein, managed a tie against Gaelio, and never fought McGillis after he got Bael.

Akihiko, meanwhile, did pilot a standard suit for a while, and actually gave a good account of himself. Sure, he got his rear end kicked going two-on-one against the Turbines, but losing to Amida is no great shame, and the fact he was still fighting to the end is more than a bit impressive. He's not great without a Gundam, but he's pretty good.

(Helps that the AV system gives a spatial awareness advantage even without a Mobile Suit. Helps explain why Orga was such a good shot the first time he used a pistol.)

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i know one post mentioned the ship combat being a highlight and i would also agree there. especially with i think the first fight post-Blitz's stealth attack where you have them actively calling out countermeasures to the enemy Gundams in a way that is super cool even if executed through pretty rote missile animations and stuff. same goes for them having now hit Earth and having terrain complicate the fight more than a boring void of space does.

I'm the one who really likes the ship to ship fights in SEED and I'll stand by it. The last few ones between the Archangel and Natarle's ship are genuinely pretty good and it's clearly set up to be a battle between commanders. While I think it's also set up to be a very weird way for SEED to make it's point about being on Kira's side (which comes a lot from hindsight and watching Destiny) and as a way to punish characters for being offside, the battles themselves and the way that Murrue and Natarle have to strategize really appeal to me. Sumeragi and Katy in 00 also hit that spot for me really hard as well, especially in season 2, where there has to be some kind of strategy to beat the enemy.

Which gets to something I don't like in Destiny. Talia is supposed to be a great captain but we don't really see the Minerva do anything that gets close to at least kind of interesting fight wise. I know some of it is all plot decisions and Destiny's whole Kira/Archangel crew thing but it's still frustrating that Talia does one cool thing with the Minerva super early and then later the show doesn't really bother with any kind of tension or cool space battleship with her. It all goes to the Archangel and Lacus's ship. Even original SEED had that close call escape for Cagali's ship when poo poo does down in ORB but Destiny lacks any kind of tension for anything ship related and it kind of blows.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 2, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

most gundam pilots sit in a cockpit and press buttons and levers

G Gundam pilots open palm slap a vhs into the slot where they do the moves alongside their gundam and do every move and they do it hard etc etc

G Gundam best gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

Seems strange to adopt the practice when it's kinda useless for non-aces and powering beam sabers has never really been an issue, but it looks neat so whatever

Actually speaking of the Nu's saber why does it have that stubby little blade on the bottom end, that doesn't seem particularly useful

Talk to any renfaire nerd, and they'll tell you that the pommel of a sword is almost as much a lethal instrument as its blade. That little extra blade both allows Amuro to pull off a greater variety of strikes and gives him an extra tool for fighting in extreme close quarters where the other blade of the saber would be too long.

chiasaur11 posted:

Mika isn't The Best Pilot, merely a talented, creative, and ferocious amateur with a really big stick. There are other, more experienced mobile suit pilots who regularly outperform him in pure technical skill, like Amida, McGillis, Galan, and (debatably) Lafter and Julietta. He's certainly Tekkadan's top pilot for a reason, but the solar system is regularly shown to be a very big place where lots of people have spent a long time learning how to get really good at getting more out of less powerful suits with clunkier control schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah Mika by the end drastically outclasses everyone else by a long shot. He was actually fighting at a pretty heavy handicap the first time he fought Lafter and he significantly improved from there.