Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Milotic posted:

Buried lede in this one. I pity the husband.

I'm [27/f] happily married [27/m] for over a year and beginning to have strong feelings for my coworker

:cripes:

Why did she marry him if she didn't feel that strongly for him? What the hell?

At least most of these stories are usually set four or five years into a frosty relationship, this marriage is doomed to all hell if she's already falling in love with somebody else one year in and doesn't even consider her marriage unhappy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think more that the two year lease gave her more reason to leave as she realized she'd be stuck there for two more years. She definitely handled things badly tho

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rakthar posted:

If you know someone hates it there, what are you doing asking them to stay? It's not going to work. Like right there that's a huge red flag. There was a problem in the relationship and the solution was "We do it my way, because of my maintenance job." I don't care how much it pays, you can get a job doing maintenance in a big city if that's what you do in a small city.

i'll take "They're Both Poor Communicators" for $200

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milotic posted:

I'm [27/f] happily married [27/m] for over a year and beginning to have strong feelings for my coworker

Did she get married in a zany sitcom accident or what happened here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rakthar posted:

The other part is that I'm reading between the lines here, but I get a manipulative / weepy vibe from this dude. That he asks for what he wants and when he doesn't get it, he cries. This lady may feel that it's not constructive trying to have these discussions with him, and did what she needed to do for her own life.

There are some people you will not convince, and when it's clear that no agreement will be reached, taking off is the right move. Hey, the dude lives in the town he wants with the job he wants. What's the problem? He can find another lady, or he can make plans to move out there with her - without too much weeping about how horrible this is.

If she just wanted to take off, she could have broken up with him and not gone "well I'm moving, follow me if you want, by the way I better not see any loving tears out of you, bitch"

"Don't cramp my style in the new city, btw"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

I think more that the two year lease gave her more reason to leave as she realized she'd be stuck there for two more years. She definitely handled things badly tho

I agree, this is one of those things that makes you go "oh poo poo" but maybe not right away, like some people bounce the moment you mention you might want to get married sooomeday

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Milotic posted:

That poor husband.

And now, a man who should just be happy that someone still wants to have sex with him despite him being the most insufferable person alive.

Something happened with me [40 M] and my wife [35 F] of almost a decade last night and I'm freaking out

quote:

Throwaway because we're both active users.

Wife and I have a pretty great relationship. Both second marriages. Lots of kids involved. Lots of the usual stressers. But we get through it together.

Sex life is pretty active. 7-10 times per week. We're both overweight but it's not really an issue for those purposes (wanting to be able to do things we can't because we're in poo poo shape is a different issue for both of us). I thoroughly enjoy my wife's "company" and our sex drives are generally pretty much in alignment.

Last night I was instigating and intimated I'd like to get her clothes off and put my tongue to work. She innocuously notified me that a long day and lack of shower may make that less than desirable for both of us (but she was still DTF). This kind of honest convo is par for the course for us. Holding things back and trying not to hurt feelings didn't work so well for either of our first marriages.

Anyhoo - something strange happened. It's almost as if someone flipped a switch and turned off my libido. Like a strange darkness crept in and took hold. And it's still here almost 14 hours later. I'm about as emotionally down as I've been in a LONG time, and any thought of sexing up the wife quite literally turns my stomach.

What the hell? I know, "there's something bigger at play here and you need to figure out what it is." I get that. I'm just desperately trying to figure out how I went from 100 to 0 so quickly and what I can do to get back to something more like a 20 until I can figure out how to get back to 100.

Anyone else have this sudden shift happen? Any advice?

tl;dr: Mention of possible stank caused an unexpected, sudden seismic shift in my sexual desire towards my wife and it's ain't stopping.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mirthless posted:

:cripes:

Why did she marry him if she didn't feel that strongly for him? What the hell?

At least most of these stories are usually set four or five years into a frosty relationship, this marriage is doomed to all hell if she's already falling in love with somebody else one year in and doesn't even consider her marriage unhappy

I've noticed that in some of these stories they seem to marry someone for traits that they are expected to want, so they figure the relationship will go well and they will learn to love the person. I think that's also the logic behind some of the guys who were saying they don't go around women without their wife, they know their marriage isn't strong

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rakthar posted:

Ok so here's the quotes from the story:

If you know someone hates it there, what are you doing asking them to stay? It's not going to work. Like right there that's a huge red flag. There was a problem in the relationship and the solution was "We do it my way, because of my maintenance job." I don't care how much it pays, you can get a job doing maintenance in a big city if that's what you do in a small city.

The other part is that I'm reading between the lines here, but I get a manipulative / weepy vibe from this dude. That he asks for what he wants and when he doesn't get it, he cries. This lady may feel that it's not constructive trying to have these discussions with him, and did what she needed to do for her own life.

There are some people you will not convince, and when it's clear that no agreement will be reached, taking off is the right move. Hey, the dude lives in the town he wants with the job he wants. What's the problem? He can find another lady, or he can make plans to move out there with her - without too much weeping about how horrible this is.
It is not in any way ethically defensible to continue dating someone and making lifelong commitments to them when you've decided to leave because it is not yet the most convenient moment for you personally.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

WampaLord posted:

If she just wanted to take off, she could have broken up with him and not gone "well I'm moving, follow me if you want, by the way I better not see any loving tears out of you, bitch"

"Don't cramp my style in the new city, btw"

Yeah that's why I read it as baggage from the current relationship. I infer that she really has a problem with this weepy style of discourse / confrontations. Like, she hates having to deal with it. So not only is she doing what she wanted to do all along, and in her new life in the big city, she's not interested in having more of these "BUT I LOVE YOU SO MUCH IT PHYSICALLY HURTS, OF COURSE LEAVING MY MAINTENANCE JOB PHYSICALLY HURTS, LIKE REM SAID EVERYBODY HURTS" lovely arguments she's had for years.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Werong Bustope posted:

That poor husband.

And now, a man who should just be happy that someone still wants to have sex with him despite him being the most insufferable person alive.

Something happened with me [40 M] and my wife [35 F] of almost a decade last night and I'm freaking out

what a weird loving reaction to not having a boner for one day

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She should have broken up with him differently but I think it's pretty clear he shouldn't have been so blindsided because she klaxxon'd that this was likely.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
So this is 95% likely to be a fetish thing, but why is this lady complaining?

My BF [24M] insists on hand-washing my [19F] bras and panties himself.

quote:

Hey, my BF and I have been dating for 4 months now, we've known each other for longer.

We are currently living together--it is temporary and we'll be living separately in about 5 months.

Anyways, a week ago my BF was washing my underwear, by hand, in the laundry room sink. It was probably like 1 weeks worth of dirty underwear and a lot of new panties which I had bought recently. There was also a bunch of my bras piled up there too.

I asked him why he was washing my underwear at 7 in the morning and he said, "Its okay, just go back to sleep." Later in the day I told him that what he did was sweet but I'd really prefer washing my own underwear. He was like, "Whats the big deal, you're my girlfriend."

Yesterday afternoon I came home and he was doing it again. This time it was a bunch of my bras. I told him that those bras were sort of new and didn't need to be washed yet. He shrugged and said, "Well, no harm done, right?" I asked him why he likes to wash my underwear, and he said
that he "enjoyed it".

Dont get me wrong, I think its cute in a weird way that he's doing this--but I really prefer washing my underwear by putting it in the washing machine or just doing it myself. It makes me uncomfortable for someone to see my dirty underwear, not to mention touch it and wash it.

TL;DR: BF continued to handwash my underwear even though I told him not to. He is being oddly stubborn about this.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It is not in any way ethically defensible to continue dating someone and making lifelong commitments to them when you've decided to leave because it is not yet the most convenient moment for you personally.

There are some people that are good at hearing what they want to hear and also being manipulative about enforcing it. I read the story as her clearly communicating her desires to leave, and this dude ignoring them. At some point she decided that she did not want to continue the relationship and made plans accordingly.

Cohabiting situations are tough in general. I get the position that she should have clearly communicated this stuff to him, not let him sign the lease, and not made him believe that they were going to get married.

At the same time, this lady clearly had a desire to be somewhere else, and felt that the communication was no longer effective due to this dude's conflict resolution style. I keep bringing this up because the contempt she has for his crying seems really really deep seated.

What is the right solution for "This is someone I live with, I want to dump them, but this person is a manipulative jackass that will make my life hell for 6 months"? I agree her actions were harsh but I get the sense that she lost all empathy / respect for him and decided to do what she needed to do for her life. I don't see her actions as commendable, I do see them as understandable.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rakthar posted:

What is the right solution for "This is someone I live with, I want to dump them, but this person is a manipulative jackass that will make my life hell for 6 months"? I agree her actions were harsh but I get the sense that she lost all empathy / respect for him and decided to do what she needed to do for her life. I don't see her actions as commendable, I do see them as understandable.

Holy gently caress you've read way too much into this story.

I can't believe non-Mirthless people are sympathizing with this sociopathic lady from the story. Like, a total loving lack of empathy for her partner.

Rakthar posted:

I keep bringing this up because the contempt she has for his crying seems really really deep seated.

Like, she could just be a massive bitch, you know?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Rakthar posted:

No dude it's a really valid objection. You have a lady you're dating. You know she doesn't want to live where you live. But you go "But wait, I am doing MAINTENANCE FOR THE COUNTY!" This is not really a prestigious position, you can probably get a maintenance job with a hotel or bunch of other places in a major city.

So when they had this discussion previously he dismissed her concerns and talked up this cushy rear end job he has as if it were something special. This lady probably figured out this guy is perfectly content to stay where he is, and wants this gal to be his accessory for that lifestyle, despite her clearly stating that's not what she wants.

How do you expect this stuff to play out?

"I want to be somewhere else"
"I want to be here.. and I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU"
<person A can either stay forever, or continue with their stated desire to leave>

This dude is both selfish and manipulative. The reason they can't move is because he has a good job and said no. He of course signed a two year lease to further drag her into his lifestyle. And when it's clear that she is willing to move to Chicago at all costs, now he's going to cause all kinds of drama. I have to move with you, but what about the lease, etc. She wants no part of it. If he wants to join her there, he can. If not, oh well!

I am 100% behind that lady's actions and agree with Mirthless, assuming I'm not overstating his point.

I don't think you're wrong, but I don't think the lady's not a jerk either. If she's been looking for work for 6 months, maybe she slyly goes "let's hold off on signing that lease?"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress you've read way too much into this story.

I can't believe non-Mirthless people are sympathizing with this sociopathic lady from the story. Like, a total loving lack of empathy for her partner.

:eyepop:

wow that is some fully-on-the-sleeve misogyny right there

also stop invoking my name in this like I took a side, jesus christ, I made one throwaway comment about his loving job you spaz

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

La Brea Carpet posted:

she's 19, young and inexperienced

if she was older and wiser she'd turn this into a domme thing where she whips his ballsack while he vacuums the house and cleans the windows

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Rakthar posted:

There are some people that are good at hearing what they want to hear and also being manipulative about enforcing it. I read the story as her clearly communicating her desires to leave, and this dude ignoring them. At some point she decided that she did not want to continue the relationship and made plans accordingly.

Cohabiting situations are tough in general. I get the position that she should have clearly communicated this stuff to him, not let him sign the lease, and not made him believe that they were going to get married.

At the same time, this lady clearly had a desire to be somewhere else, and felt that the communication was no longer effective due to this dude's conflict resolution style. I keep bringing this up because the contempt she has for his crying seems really really deep seated.

Break up with them and move out, when you realize, don't pass go, etc. Don't lie, period. It's pretty easy! The part that is reprehensible is lying and saying everything is fine and hell, let's get married while secretly plotting your escape for 6 months. There's no excuse for that - it's not something I'd tolerate from a friend let alone a romantic partner. The fact that he is going to end up paying a ton of extra money because of it is just icing on that poo poo sundae.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rakthar posted:

What is the right solution for "This is someone I live with, I want to dump them, but this person is a manipulative jackass that will make my life hell for 6 months"?

Extremely not this:

quote:

She said that she would consider remaining a couple as long as I "didn't get all emotional about it" but that she needs to get her feet planted in her new job before I come and "bug her" (her words)." I started to kind of tear up because it was so shocking and she said that was the kind of bullshit she was talking about.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Mirthless posted:

what a weird loving reaction to not having a boner for one day

He's a weird loving guy

OP posted:

Agreed. I'm more worried along the lines of "I love spaghetti and eat it every day and love it and last night I put the first bite in my mouth and threw up and now I can't stomach the thought of spaghetti and don't know why." I'm hopeful that we can find some alone time so I can explore her spaghetti at my own pace in the next couple of days, but it's so drat jarring to have that big of a mental shift happen so quickly.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I don't think you're wrong, but I don't think the lady's not a jerk either. If she's been looking for work for 6 months, maybe she slyly goes "let's hold off on signing that lease?"

I agree with this. There were better solutions in this situation. I get the sense that this was one of those situations where people feel "Welp, apparently I will never get through to this person. Time to do what I need to do."

WampaLord posted:

Yeah that is a possibility, but I also think there had to be enough crying episodes in other conflict situations for her to form this strong of an opinion about his crying. Like, it makes you look really bad to say it that way. My take is that you wouldn't say it this bluntly unless you loving hated it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Werong Bustope posted:

He's a weird loving guy

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > /r/relationships: I can explore her spaghetti at my own pace

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mirthless posted:

:eyepop:

wow that is some fully-on-the-sleeve misogyny right there

also stop invoking my name in this like I took a side, jesus christ, I made one throwaway comment about his loving job you spaz

:rolleyes: :jerkbag: :rolleyes:

Oh yea, I'm a big mean ol' misogynist because I called this awful woman a bitch.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That fat guy finally had it sink in that his fat wife's stinky vagina is in fact gross rather than appealing. I do feel a little bad for him.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

La Brea Carpet posted:

At least he's not selling them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rakthar posted:

I agree with this. There were better solutions in this situation. I get the sense that this was one of those situations where people feel "Welp, apparently I will never get through to this person. Time to do what I need to do."

Yeah that is a possibility, but I also think there had to be enough crying episodes in other conflict situations for her to form this strong of an opinion about his crying. Like, it makes you look really bad to say it that way. My take is that you wouldn't say it this bluntly unless you loving hated it.

if you hold someone in so much contempt you're okay with completely screwing them over to minimize the odds you'll have to see them crying stop loving dating them this instant them jesus christ why is this difficult for you

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you hold someone in so much contempt you're okay with completely screwing them over to minimize the odds you'll have to see them crying stop loving dating them this instant them jesus christ why is this difficult for you

She's breaking up with him, he's blind to it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's basically the exact same story as the military guy who didn't tell his wife about his 6 month tour of duty, and everyone was fine for calling to dump and murder that rear end in a top hat, but this lady gets white knighted despite her going "Ugh, the crying bullshit again, what a pussy you are."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

a keeper!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, maybe he just realizes how expensive that crap is and wants to make them last.

Or he just likes huffing the crotch of the panties while maintaining plausible deniability.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blue Train posted:

She's breaking up with him, he's blind to it

yeah she's telegraphing real hard that it's over so my assumption here is that 2 year lease guy just was not picking up on the signals she was putting out there. so it's not that she's a heartless witch but that he's relationship deaf and she wasn't willing to shout loud enough to be heard. so poor communication on both of their parts

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, maybe he just realizes how expensive that crap is and wants to make them last.

Or he just likes huffing the crotch of the panties while maintaining plausible deniability.

Who cares, it's a pain in the rear end to wash those things properly I don't care if he huffs it as long as he does it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

WampaLord posted:

It's basically the exact same story as the military guy who didn't tell his wife about his 6 month tour of duty, and everyone was fine for calling to dump and murder that rear end in a top hat, but this lady gets white knighted despite her going "Ugh, the crying bullshit again, what a pussy you are."

The two stories are completely different to me. I thought that dude was a complete jackass for deciding his wife couldn't handle it and delaying it until the point that he wouldn't be around to deal with her retaliation. It's like saying we're in a relationship and I know better than you that you can't handle it. It's very assumptive and dismissive.

This lady is breaking up with this dude and is ending the relationship. She doesn't want to date him or continue anymore. Part of the reason she doesn't want to date him anymore is how he reacts to being told to stuff he doesn't like. At some point she was tired of the fallout and started doing the things she needed to do to move on with her life.

I agree not telling him before the lease was cold, and I'm not excusing it. It seems to me that she felt this person was no longer responsive to her demands and simply made accommodations to live her life without this person. And that since part of the conflict was about the handling of these issues, she declined to deal with further fruitless conflict - even though she knew it would end up costing this guy.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pick posted:

Who cares, it's a pain in the rear end to wash those things properly I don't care if he huffs it as long as he does it.

Yea I was surprised she said she'd prefer that they go in the washing machine, like wth

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rakthar posted:

The two stories are completely different to me. I thought that dude was a complete jackass for deciding his wife couldn't handle it and delaying it until the point that he wouldn't be around to deal with her retaliation. It's like saying we're in a relationship and I know better than you that you can't handle it. It's very assumptive and dismissive.

:psyduck: The lack of awareness here is shocking. She did exactly the same thing. She thought he couldn't "handle" the fact that she was looking for a new job, and furthermore she told him to not get upset about the deception.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Leon Einstein posted:

If a man's only flaw was that he liked to do my laundry and huff my pants I'd put a ring on it

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

WampaLord posted:

:psyduck: The lack of awareness here is shocking. She did exactly the same thing.

How you treat your spouse that you are in an active relationship with, presumably respect, and have ongoing communication and constructive dialogue with

and

how you treat a boyfriend / girlfriend you no longer want to be with during the time that you have decided to break up with them and can't communicate with them constructively but have not been able to finalize your decision due to logistical reasons

Are two different things, to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Decided but not finalized the breakup as if she's waiting to get it notarized? What the hell? The part that's deeply unethical is lying to keep those two things distinct. That's the crux of the awful thing she did. She lied for 6 months after she decided to break up, about wanting to get married no less, because it was vaguely convenient.

So like, if the military husband had also asked for a divorce he'd be in the clear? Optionally he can clarify that he didn't want to deal with the crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mirthless posted:

if you read the post as it's broken down - as a record of various points of their relationship - and consider the behavior in the context of bipolar, you can see the cycle between depression and mania

It reads as mania.txt to me as well. I feel sorry for both of them but the guy must be so done with that now.