Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yesterday I deleted my character, the only one I had since the 3rd beta test in 2013. And I feel gutted about it. Not regret, just a deep sadness. My relationship with FFXIV has been love and hate and since HW dropped i've been largely inactive or just forcing myself through what i feel is a progression treadmill going a bit too fast for me. But we all put up with that because we love FFXIV's aesthetic. But I don't think it is a mere coincidence that I made such a drastic decision the week I lost my house and everything in it. But this post isn't really about that either. Perhaps I came to this decision because everyone I knew quit, or because I could never get back into raiding, or because none of it felt worth worrying about. I'll miss the day one new alliance raids and some aspects of raiding with a team of guild members, a rare thing apparently, but just won't miss the overall lockouts and vertical progression of it all, since everytime I go inactive I spend all my time trying to catch up and never quite making it before all new gear is added. I don't know what this post is, justification or closure? Just I feel profusely sad about how I feel about FFXIV , but no regret, guilt that I don't enjoy it anymore or something like that maybe, maybe I want to be agreed with or downvoted lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
MMOs are gear treadmills, story at 11.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

But what else do I have in life other than video games?!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One minute you proclaim your love for Eureka, the next you outright delete your character.

Makes you think.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Yesterday I deleted my character, the only one I had since the 3rd beta test in 2013. And I feel gutted about it. Not regret, just a deep sadness. My relationship with FFXIV has been love and hate and since HW dropped i've been largely inactive or just forcing myself through what i feel is a progression treadmill going a bit too fast for me. But we all put up with that because we love FFXIV's aesthetic. But I don't think it is a mere coincidence that I made such a drastic decision the week I lost my house and everything in it. But this post isn't really about that either. Perhaps I came to this decision because everyone I knew quit, or because I could never get back into raiding, or because none of it felt worth worrying about. I'll miss the day one new alliance raids and some aspects of raiding with a team of guild members, a rare thing apparently, but just won't miss the overall lockouts and vertical progression of it all, since everytime I go inactive I spend all my time trying to catch up and never quite making it before all new gear is added. I don't know what this post is, justification or closure? Just I feel profusely sad about how I feel about FFXIV , but no regret, guilt that I don't enjoy it anymore or something like that maybe, maybe I want to be agreed with or downvoted lol

Source your quotes. I did this one for you https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/8a8067/i_deleted_my_character/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Never source a quote

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Noct stance for weaving is a poor argument. It's true you can not pay attention to your timers a bit more easily, but the oGCD issue for AST is caused moreso from the oGCDs being forced nearly on top of each other. The tank is not going to normally take so much damage that you can shield every GCD, so it's really not going to give you a substantial advantage. It's also prohibitively expensive to be spamming A. Ben. The only thing that's going to save you from the oGCD traffic jam forced from Sleeve Draw is going to be Lightspeed.

That being said, niether choice is going to make a big difference. No matter how much you try to min-max, you're still going to do poo poo for damage. Do what you like. Or what you think is pretty.

If you want an argument for hot stance, SCH players are huge babies so they're always going to cry until they get buffed into superior to AST shield stance. So the general assumption is you're going to be replacing the WHM, not the SCH. Your hots can also stack with a WHM, but your shields can't stack with a SCH. So you will, at times, be forced into hot stance. You're basically never forced into shield stance. Unless there's another AST. Force that guy into shield stance though, gently caress that guy.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Walt Whitman, probably posted:

Never source a quote

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
tanks do get beat on pretty fast during big pulls though? like that second pull in fractal hm is legitimately spoopy. the which-sect argument is academic in raid content because you're always going to be pushed one way or the other by class balance, yeah.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
though, uh, the reason you're going to be replacing the WHM is chain stratagem, not shield strength

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm saying that

quote:

The tank is not going to normally take so much damage that you can shield every GCD
is true in a raid setting, but not in a dungeon pull. If the tank goes into DPS stance after establishing enmity (or if they're bad and aren't cooldowning properly), you absolutely will be able to use aspected benefic constantly.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Sorry not you, the snail. I hadn't refreshed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the 4.2 housing changes went too far, yoship

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Ragequitting and efforposting on reddit about it is a pretty reasonable reaction to Eureka tbh.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I dunno, you're kind of describing a fringe case IMO. Basically, noct will win if you're in a situation in which your Draw is off cooldown and the tank is taking enough damage that you're gonna be spamming A. Ben. Yes. I agree.

In general, it's easier to play in shield stance, because every 30 seconds you can probably use a shield and that's one easy choice made for you. But I think it's better to get in the habit of lining up a hot A. Ben with a Draw. If you can manage it, that will be the better result. If you cannot manage it, noct will be the better result.

And yeah, definitely taking SCH for the whole package and not shields. Still bitter about the succor buff though.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I got to 70 with my main job but I'm only up to Doma Castle in the MSQ. So now I have to level another job and continue with it or waste all of that juicy MSQ exp. Do the Stormblood sidequests give decent exp or am I better off doing fates while waiting for duty finder to pop?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Traxis posted:

I got to 70 with my main job but I'm only up to Doma Castle in the MSQ. So now I have to level another job and continue with it or waste all of that juicy MSQ exp. Do the Stormblood sidequests give decent exp or am I better off doing fates while waiting for duty finder to pop?

Definitely do the quests over fates.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

KoB posted:

Definitely do the quests over fates.

Also do the daily SB hunts (which you can get in Kugane), they're painless and give great XP.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Traxis posted:

Just continue with the MSQ. Finish it and start doing duty roulettes for tomestones sooner.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Traxis posted:

Roulettes, beast tribes, clan hunts, etc. poo poo so much experience at you that it's really not worth min-maxing your MSQ experience at the cost of not being able to do anything the MSQ itself unlocks. (For example, I dunno, literally all level cap content.)

Leaving non-unlock-related sidequests for later jobs is totally reasonable though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I held off my side quests until like last month or 2 months ago as I out leveled the story thanks to Raubahn Extreme.

That kid who need encouragement to swim in the Ruby Sea got *really* good at keeping afloat!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
This is the single worst decision I've ever made in my life.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

You can always fantasia into a not-awful character tho

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Saint Freak posted:

Could be worse, you coulda went Catgirl (male).

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Could be worse, you coulda went Catgirl (male).

That would not have been worse, no.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I'm playing through the main story of the original game, and I'm stuck at "Operation Archon." Been in queue for a full day as a tank. Is this just one of those things that can no longer be done since players have moved on? Is it not part of the standard leveling random dungeons?

Edit: never mind, my error. Was in queue as DPS... for 8 hours :(. Tank popped quickly.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 7, 2018

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It used to be in a reasonably popular roulette called main story duty roulette. The dungeons you're trying to do are very cutscene heavy, and nobody waited for people to watch those cutscenes. SE decided that was a problem and in the latest patch started enforcing cutscene viewing in those dungeons, making the average run take at least 30 minutes.

As you might have noticed, this was a dumbass solution. What server are you on? Goons can probably get you through it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mymla posted:

It used to be in a reasonably popular roulette called main story duty roulette. The dungeons you're trying to do are very cutscene heavy, and nobody waited for people to watch those cutscenes. SE decided that was a problem and in the latest patch started enforcing cutscene viewing in those dungeons, making the average run take at least 30 minutes.

As you might have noticed, this was a dumbass solution. What server are you on? Goons can probably get you through it.

I run MSQ Roulette almost daily. I never have long queues. Ever. Even as DPS my queues haven't been terrible. The cutscene change did not kill MSQ roulette.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Alexander Savage finally completed. :dance:

I guess I could get all of the achievements for the Raid, though, but I'd need to kill A4S and A12S six more times and A8S twice more.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Mymla posted:

Operation Archon is the Rhihawhatever trial, not Castrum or Praetorium. That sounds more like the Duty Finder screwing up and not putting you in queue than anything, since people run trials roulette all the time. You shouldn't have to wait super-long to get into the two 8-person dungeons, but goons can help you if you're on Excal, and probably if you're on Balmung, Omega, or another decent-sized server.

Also, Dragoon is kinda fun. Just two more levels to hit 70...

and then I'll have to decide what to level next. Still have BLM, SAM, MNK, and WAR hanging out in the mid 30's to mid 50's. I'm the weirdo who doesn't particularly like WAR's gameplay though.

edit: also, my alt got a decent AST weapon. It looks kinda weird though. :godwinning:

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 7, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What pants are those? e: on the ast, the fishnets

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Nessus posted:

What pants are those? e: on the ast, the fishnets

I think those are part of the bunny uniform you get from the gold saucer.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Yep, those are the Bunny Chief Tights (and matching shoes) from the Gold Saucer. They also come in pink if you’re so inclined.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Increasingly getting the feeling that Steps of Faith is another trial that breaks pubbies' brains. No one gets on cannons or towers.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Increasingly getting the feeling that Steps of Faith is another trial that breaks pubbies' brains. No one gets on cannons or towers.

If you've got a team of reasonably competent people that can output good DPS, you can straight up skip the Dragonkillers entirely. On release, they used to be mandatory, which made Steps of Faith teeth-grindingly frustrating.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Cythereal posted:

Older content is mostly trivial these days and many people just ignore the mechanics, because they are overleveled.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Cythereal posted:

There’s always a few who just don’t seem to understand even the simplest of mechanics in any trial.
I did an O2 once where my cohealer got 10 stacks of weakness.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I had an A8S party the other day with this Red Mage who was absolutely terrible. Every time Brute Justice came out, we'd tell him to stack on the right side of the boss, eventually putting up waymarkers to hammer the point in. And every time, he'd go to a far off corner, get the stack marker, and then die before he could reach us, wondering why he kept getting killed.

That's the only PF party I've had with that guy, but not the only PF party with that kind of guy. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Mymla posted:

It’s still popular since it gives a hilarious amount of EXP and Poetics