Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

porfiria posted:

How will this affect Justice League.

They've got a bit of reshooting and post-production left, and they've picked up Darryl Strawberry to helm it now that Whedon's out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

porfiria posted:

How will this affect Justice League.

Still gonna be trash

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

They've got a bit of reshooting and post-production left, and they've picked up Darryl Strawberry to helm it now that Whedon's out

I'm gonna assume you mean the former right fielder for the Mets and say that I would go see his Justice League

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm gonna assume you mean the former right fielder for the Mets and say that I would go see his Justice League

The Simpsons episode where Burns' softball ringers all suffer terrible fates

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

The Simpsons episode where Burns' softball ringers all suffer terrible fates

That episode is Hella Of It's Time now, also isn't he the one who drinks thalidomide

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Like honestly this is gonna strike a pretty big blow to Joss Whedon, woke nerd culture icon, but I doubt it'll affect him getting work directing/writing things.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That episode is Hella Of It's Time now, also isn't he the one who drinks thalidomide

He's the one that playing Homer's position and has nothing bad happen to him I think

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

glam rock hamhock posted:

He's the one that playing Homer's position and has nothing bad happen to him I think

Good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's my pick for JL director, Michael Jordan but specifically Michael Jordan on the night he played with the flu

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Or MJ at the end of Space Jam when he has one really long arm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Here's my pick for JL director, Michael Jordan but specifically Michael Jordan on the night he played with the flu

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Or MJ at the end of Space Jam when he has one really long arm

Why do you think that would be a good director?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I feel like being able to dunk from half court is an invaluable skill for a director to have

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Twin Peaks Talk:

Norma's hand sliding onto Ed's shoulder made me tear up.

The Log Lady's final phone call made me cry.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

DC Murderverse posted:

Joss' ex-wife did an interview with The Wrap where she absolutely ripped him for making so much noise about his feminism while having affairs/one night stands with women and creeping on them on the set of his shows.

I was also raised to be a feminist and yet I haven't hosed Eliza Dushku even a single time. Something doesn't add up here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

Like honestly this is gonna strike a pretty big blow to Joss Whedon, woke nerd culture icon, but I doubt it'll affect him getting work directing/writing things.

This happened to Devin Faraci before.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

This happened to Devin Faraci before.

They're both incredibly similar in the sense that they'd push women out of the way to talk about how feminist they are.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Dudes callin themselves feminists in order to gently caress girls has been one of the most transparent schticks ive seen in my lifetime

Notably cause that was totally me when i was like 17 and i was completely unaware of it

But thats extra hosed of Whedon considering the power dynamic involved

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
All men who call themselves feminists are just trying to make themselves look good. People were already calling this out over a hundred years ago (see Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All men who call themselves feminists are just trying to make themselves look good

comma said noted fuckin moron bravestofthelamps

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

Twin Peaks Talk:

Norma's hand sliding onto Ed's shoulder made me tear up.

The Log Lady's final phone call made me cry.

Same. The first moment has been one of the best in the entire series.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Skwirl posted:

Point me towards the great rock music of the last quarter century, all the great new music I've heard in the last 25 years has belonged to other genres.

Courtney Barnett

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Razorback is rad right? I remember it being rad

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Murder City Devils = last great "rock n roll" band

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Murder City Devils = last great "rock n roll" band

MCD rules

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The first one. Are you just trying to bait me? If you don't recognize that Smells Like Teen Spirit would be an amazing song in a vacuum I don't even know how to talk to you.

See if you were saying the latter I think you'd have an argument but if you really meant the former you just sound like a guy who doesn't listen to music

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Asking for great bands claiming there are none is always a loaded lovely question because it's so easy to respond to anything anyone says with "well they're good but not great"or variations of that and because it's all music taste you can't disprove it I guess.

Still, the idea that there has been no great rock bands since Nirvana is loving ridiculous

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Happy eclipse day everyone, protect your eyes

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Asking for great bands claiming there are none is always a loaded lovely question because it's so easy to respond to anything anyone says with "well they're good but not great"or variations of that and because it's all music taste you can't disprove it I guess.

Still, the idea that there has been no great rock bands since Nirvana is loving ridiculous

Furthermore, define "rock." Traditional blues-based Rock 'n Roll as we knew it for decades may not be the most thriving genre right now, but bands with a singer, Guitar, Bass, Drums, and sometimes Keys are still out there doing great poo poo.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

TrixRabbi posted:

Furthermore, define "rock." Traditional blues-based Rock 'n Roll as we knew it for decades may not be the most thriving genre right now, but bands with a singer, Guitar, Bass, Drums, and sometimes Keys are still out there doing great poo poo.

So you'd say that the heart of rock and roll is still beating?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This conversation did get me to listen to Turn On the Bright Lights again which I think has a solid claim on best rock album of the past couple decades

Rohnert Park by Ceremony deserves a spot in the conversation too

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 21, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://youtu.be/FFqb1I-hiHE

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Queens of the Stone Age are a great rock and roll band

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This conversation did get me to listen to Turn On the Bright Lights again which I think has a solid claim on best rock album of the past couple decades

that's the perfect winter album

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Queens of the Stone Age are Kyuss were a great rock and roll band

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I don't really think that cheating on your wife stops making you a feminist. One is a worldview and the other is just being a weak person (And cowardly trying to justify it in a weird way instead of saying hey I like to gently caress, and I got into a situation where I get to gently caress people a lot).

I'm not really sure a post breakup interview is the smoking gun people like to claim, but the dubious claim that Whedon somehow tricked women into sleeping with him by pretending to be woke is really giving no women anywhere any credit.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

ah yes, human, all too human

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I can get "Nirvana was the last great Rock n Roll band" if "great" means iconic and insanely popular instead of being about quality because very few rock bands have even gotten close to that level since then.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The worst thing about this generation not getting their own Beatles is that they don't get their own Monkeeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

The worst thing about this generation not getting their own Beatles is that they don't get their own Monkeeys.

Actually they only get the Monkeys

• Locked thread