Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DeimosRising posted:

I don't know what that means. I don't know if what you're saying means anything

There hasn't been a great Rock and Roll band since Nirvana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Seth Rogen.

drat, that's a pretty good answer

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Has Dave Grohl rolled back his support of the "HIV is entirely unrelated to AIDS" people yet?

Before watching the movie, my old roommate had to drop a "more like fuckabees" and I was so excited to get to that part.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

drat, that's a pretty good answer

I don't hate Dave Grohl, I just find it weird when he's the headliner.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

I really like Ringo in A Hard Day's Night.

"She'll only reject me in the end and I'll be frustrated." :smith:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Skwirl posted:

There hasn't been a great Rock and Roll band.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

Seth Rogen.

checks out:

- got famous/big because of other people or collaborations
- shows up in random poo poo whenever he wants
- is a cool dude

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

There hasn't been a great Rock and Roll band since Nirvana.

A rock band that makes great music or a band that receives a sufficient marketing push and popular success to develop a mythology?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Power of Pecota posted:

Has Dave Grohl rolled back his support of the "HIV is entirely unrelated to AIDS" people yet?

Before watching the movie, my old roommate had to drop a "more like fuckabees" and I was so excited to get to that part.

Literally years ago

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In other news I got around to Daredevil season 2 and Electra just showed up. Should I just stop watching now or is there anything else good in this season?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

A rock band that makes great music or a band that receives a sufficient marketing push and popular success to develop a mythology?

The first one. Are you just trying to bait me? If you don't recognize that Smells Like Teen Spirit would be an amazing song in a vacuum I don't even know how to talk to you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DeimosRising posted:

there's an argument to be made that Nirvana was the last good rock band that could fill arenas, but then one wonders, what about Spiritualized or Radiohead? and probably some more but those two spring immediately to mind. Spiritualized of-course existed at the same time Nirvana did, but they didn't get huge until LAGWAFIS swept the UK award season

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

In other news I got around to Daredevil season 2 and Electra just showed up. Should I just stop watching now or is there anything else good in this season?

The Punisher stuff is good, also (not a spoiler to anyone who knew who Elektra was before the tv show) she dies.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

glam rock hamhock posted:

Basically everything with Punisher up to and including his role in the finale

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also Elektra kicks rear end in all senses of the phrase

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Frank Miller presents A Hard Days Knight Returns

That Yellow Submarine Bastard

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Foo Fighters sucks, Radiohead sucks, MTV Unplugged is the best Nirvana album, eat my rear end.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I wasn't sure if the Punisher stuff would be reduced now but I'll keep watching before movie on to Defenders

I'm enjoying the season so far and I think it helps that Luke Cage set a pretty low bar for my expectations. Also, I'm not gonna say I'm offended by it or anything dumb like that but man the Irish gang stuff is stereotyped to a baffling degree at times.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Luke Cage was just alright. Iron Fist is the real low bar

I'm enjoying Defenders a lot, probably because there's like two episodes of set up and the rest is people fighting the hand

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm enjoying Defenders a lot, probably because there's like two episodes of set up and the rest is people fighting the hand

See this doesn't inspire me because the Hand stuff in every other show sucked.

On the other hand, it sucked because they weren't allowed to resolve anything, ever, so if that plot actually wraps up here it could be good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm not gonna watch Iron First so Like Cage will remain the low point. I'm not gonna say it didn't have its moments but it was also a loving mess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

1/3 of The Defenders is Jessica Jones bring incredulous about the dumb ninja storyline and it is amazing.

Unfortunately the other 2/3 is the dumb ninja storyline

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just want the second session of Jessica Jones already so I can inevtably be let down by it because no way are they living up to that first season.

Punisher will probably be alright though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

The first one. Are you just trying to bait me? If you don't recognize that Smells Like Teen Spirit would be an amazing song in a vacuum I don't even know how to talk to you.

I was trying to suss out what the hell "great rock band" meant, whether it was some vague category related to celebrity mythology or whether you honestly don't think any rock band in the last quarter century has made great music, which I think is outright stupid

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pete Forever Ringo Never!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I was trying to suss out what the hell "great rock band" meant, whether it was some vague category related to celebrity mythology or whether you honestly don't think any rock band in the last quarter century has made great music, which I think is outright stupid

Point me towards the great rock music of the last quarter century, all the great new music I've heard in the last 25 years has belonged to other genres.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ran out of Rick and Morty episodes to show my roommate. Moved to Invader Zim. He didn't like it as much...

But it is the best

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So looking through twitter, seems a lot of people think that Joss Whedon is either JJ Abrams or Will Wheaton.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

Point me towards the great rock music of the last quarter century, all the great new music I've heard in the last 25 years has belonged to other genres.

Brian Jonestown Massacre, Black Angels, Dead Meadow, Film School, Ringo Deathstarr, hundreds of others? There's been a ton of good rock bands in the last 25 years

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/SawmillLoris/status/899438391493877765

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

What happened

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What happened

Joss' ex-wife did an interview with The Wrap where she absolutely ripped him for making so much noise about his feminism while having affairs/one night stands with women and creeping on them on the set of his shows.

quote:

There were times in our relationship that I was uncomfortable with the attention Joss paid other women. He always had a lot of female friends, but he told me it was because his mother raised him as a feminist, so he just liked women better. He said he admired and respected females, he didn’t lust after them. I believed him and trusted him. On the set of “Buffy,” Joss decided to have his first secret affair.

Fifteen years later, when he was done with our marriage and finally ready to tell the truth, he wrote me, “When I was running ‘Buffy,’ I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can’t touch it.” But he did touch it. He said he understood, “I would have to lie — or conceal some part of the truth — for the rest of my life,” but he did it anyway, hoping that first affair, “would be ENOUGH, that THEN we could move on and outlast it.”

Joss admitted that for the next decade and a half, he hid multiple affairs and a number of inappropriate emotional ones that he had with his actresses, co-workers, fans and friends, while he stayed married to me. He wrote me a letter when our marriage was falling apart, but I still didn’t know the whole truth, and said, “I’ve never loved anyone or wanted to be with anyone in any real or long-term way except for you ever. And I love our life. I love how you are, how we are, who you are and what we’ve done both separately and together, how much fun we have…” He wanted it all; he didn’t want to choose, so he accepted the duality as a part of his life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Serial infidelity and emotional abuse of his spouse, allegedly. She put him on blast for hiding behind the "feminist" label while being an utter shithead.

E: I guess this is just the circles I run in, but I'm really weirded out by how many people don't know who Joss Whedon is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Isn't that always the case?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

precision posted:

Brian Jonestown Massacre, Black Angels, Dead Meadow, Film School, Ringo Deathstarr, hundreds of others? There's been a ton of good rock bands in the last 25 years

I didn't ask for good rock bands. I don't think I used the word "good" once.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

Joss' ex-wife did an interview with The Wrap where she absolutely ripped him for making so much noise about his feminism while having affairs/one night stands with women and creeping on them on the set of his shows.

Hahahahahahaaaaa gently caress Joss Whedon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

I didn't ask for good rock bands. I don't think I used the word "good" once.

Right, you said great. The bands I listed are great.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DC Murderverse posted:

this might be the least surprising thing i've ever read

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
How will this affect Justice League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

precision posted:

Right, you said great. The bands I listed are great.
Brian Jonestown Massacre is more interesting than good, and definitely not great. Also not exactly what I'd call a Rock and Roll band.

• Locked thread