Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Soul Glo posted:

Zombies are my favorite tribe, and I'm stoked they won a PT today, but I'm leaning towards RG Gods for Gameday. I bet lots of people will tune for zombies, and RG is almost all new cards I wanna play.

I might have less of a chance of winning than if I took zombies, but I think I'll have more fun turning gods sideways? Also I'll finally get to cast Lupine Prototype.

If I may make a suggestion, I've been refining this list for a while:
4 Flameblade Adept
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Noose Constrictor
4 Bloodrage Brawler
3 Rhonas, the Indomitable
3 Hazoret, the Fervent
4 Honored Hydra

4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Axe
2 Cathartic Reunion

4 Cinder Glade
4 Game Trail
4 Forest
12 Mountain

Side
2 Incendiary Flow
2 Natural State
1 Appetite for the Unnatural
3 Magma Spray
2 Prowling Serpopard
1 Heaven//Earth
1 Insult//Injury
1 4 cmc Chandra
2 Manglehorn

and it is, to put it mildly, completely insane. So, so much better than it looks on paper. The only match up that doesn't feel favourable is zombies when they're on the play and get multiple dark salvations. You will run over lots and lots of folks with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Playing a whole PPTQ with 2 Ulamogs in your hand pretty much every game is a great time. This format is utterly miserable. Bring back all the banned cards.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Playing a whole PPTQ with 2 Ulamogs in your hand pretty much every game is a great time. This format is utterly miserable. Bring back all the banned cards.

Not to be mean but why not just play a less slot machine deck? Many other decks did just as well at the PT and before that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

Not to be mean but why not just play a less slot machine deck? Many other decks did just as well at the PT and before that.

Because it's just by far the best deck and I did top 4 with it and lost to the best player in the room on the mirror. That doesn't mean it's not miserable to play with and against though...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"I'm tired of playing this slot machine wizard poker," he cried. "Bring back Emrakul."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Siivola posted:

"I'm tired of playing this slot machine wizard poker," he cried. "Bring back Emrakul."

Yes. And Copter and Reflector Mage and Guardian.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Because it's just by far the best deck and I did top 4 with it and lost to the best player in the room on the mirror. That doesn't mean it's not miserable to play with and against though...

Would you not have this opinion if you had won?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

Would you not have this opinion if you had won?

I definitely would have the same opinion if I won.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
If they're going to keep printing knock-the-top-of-your-deck card advantage/mana engines like CoCo and Marvel there's no real reason they can't reprint Miracles in Standard.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Reflector mage should be unbanned now, because there is no reason for it to be banned with Cat gone. Give U/W a chance, and bouncing turn 4 Ulamogs isn't the worse.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

Yes. And Copter and Reflector Mage and Guardian.

That said I'm not sure "I'm sick of Marvel, please unban Emrakul" really makes sense either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

That said I'm not sure "I'm sick of Marvel, please unban Emrakul" really makes sense either.

I was never not sick of Marvel.... the card and the game play it fosters is horrible.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I was never not sick of Marvel.... the card and the game play it fosters is horrible.

That wasn't my point - unbanning Emrakul would just make Marvel both better and more annoying to play/play against.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Emrakul doesn't foster good gameplay either.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So even though I barely play standard, I recently dropped the $60 or so I needed for the remaining pieces of BG energy style decks. I wanted a playset of Walking Ballista anyway so whatever. The build varieties lately are pretty impressive. Anyone care to help me think about what matters in a world of Aetherworks and Zombies? I'm guessing Aetherworks is just trying to go faster and maybe some artifact removal, but I don't really know all what else makes sense. I can certainly just cast threats and turn them sideways but I'd like to have an idea of how to tweak the deck right now for best results in the foreseeable future. Changing decks isn't really an option, as I just paid for the remaining pieces as a lark.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Emrakul doesn't foster good gameplay either.

I'm not saying that that isn't true but Marvel is worse.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'm not saying that that isn't true but Marvel is worse.

Its really hard to quantify which is worse when they are both dogshit. I think you are more hungup on playing marvel competitively and having to rely on spinning to win. Emmy had even less decision trees than marval and just as many feel bads.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Its really hard to quantify which is worse when they are both dogshit. I think you are more hungup on playing marvel competitively and having to rely on spinning to win. Emmy had even less decision trees than marval and just as many feel bads.

The thing with Emrakul is that if you don't have marvel it's always pretty much a late game finisher. Maybe its the best late game finisher in the format but it's still just a late game finisher. There is a limit to how oppressive a card that is getting played that late in the game can be.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin posted:

*Morpheus from the matrix voice* what if standard is always bad

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Everyone should just quit playing standard, it sounds awful no matter what you do to the banned list.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The thing with Emrakul is that if you don't have marvel it's always pretty much a late game finisher. Maybe its the best late game finisher in the format but it's still just a late game finisher. There is a limit to how oppressive a card that is getting played that late in the game can be.

I don't think turn 5 and 6 are late enough for standard. It wasn't just a finisher, it was an game ender.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I don't think turn 5 and 6 are late enough for standard. It wasn't just a finisher, it was an game ender.

It really never came down on T5 or T6 in practice without Marvel.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

Reflector mage should be unbanned now, because there is no reason for it to be banned with Cat gone. Give U/W a chance, and bouncing turn 4 Ulamogs isn't the worse.

yeah, this, mage was always kind of a weird ban in the first place

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

sit on my Facebook posted:

4 Flameblade Adept
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Noose Constrictor
4 Bloodrage Brawler
3 Hazoret, the Fervent
4 Honored Hydra

4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Axe
2 Cathartic Reunion

4 Cinder Glade
4 Game Trail
4 Forest
12 Mountain

Side
2 Incendiary Flow
2 Natural State
3 Magma Spray
2 Prowling Serpopard
1 Heaven//Earth
1 Insult//Injury
1 4 cmc Chandra
2 Manglehorn

and it is, to put it mildly, completely insane. So, so much better than it looks on paper. The only match up that doesn't feel favourable is zombies when they're on the play and get multiple dark salvations. You will run over lots and lots of folks with this.

I was considering going without a 1-drop at all, though Adept would be the one I would play. How are they working for you, just getting some additional pings of damage while your opponents block the big stuff?

How often are you unable to attack with Hazoret because of your card drawing?

Also why not four Rhonas to maximize that turn 3 play?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Soul Glo posted:

I was considering going without a 1-drop at all, though Adept would be the one I would play. How are they working for you, just getting some additional pings of damage while your opponents block the big stuff?

How often are you unable to attack with Hazoret because of your card drawing?

Also why not four Rhonas to maximize that turn 3 play?

Adept really overperforms, having menace makes it deceptively powerful. Any time you have multiple one drops with a Noose Constrictor or Brawler it feels pretty hard to lose, because the opponent is forced to spend cards and early turns on your 1-drops then you just follow right behind them with a 4 mana 6/6 trample or a Hazoret and close the game. Common lines like Adept -> Constrictor -> Brawler and Fiery Temper a blocker are a ton of pressure. It's hard to overstate how relevant the menace on both it and the Neonates has been, in conjunction with Axe/Temper it's really easy to steal the last few points of damage in games where the opponent answers your scarier threats. I found myself adding 1-drops every time I revised the deck until I was all the way up to 8.

I'm virtually never unable to attack with Hazoret. In this build it's just a 5/4 indestructible haste with upside probably 90% of the time. It's so good. Rhonas is much more inconsistent in being active, which is why I'm down to three.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

sit on my Facebook posted:

4 Flameblade Adept
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Noose Constrictor
4 Bloodrage Brawler
3 Hazoret, the Fervent
4 Honored Hydra

4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Axe
2 Cathartic Reunion

4 Cinder Glade
4 Game Trail
4 Forest
12 Mountain

Side
2 Incendiary Flow
2 Natural State
3 Magma Spray
2 Prowling Serpopard
1 Heaven//Earth
1 Insult//Injury
1 4 cmc Chandra
2 Manglehorn

Heaven // Earth out of the board is how you win that matchup. Which is why I run a lot more of them; there's a lot of matches where it's relevant. Hell, I maindeck one.

Soul Glo posted:

There's a downside either way. Prototype always turns on Rhonas and is relevant late game, Pacifist can block early, but doesn't turn on Rhonas.

Plus, I'd rather top deck a 5/5 than a 3/3, and I like having seven 2 drops that turn on turn 3 Rhonas between a playset of Bloodrage and three Prototype.

I've played the deck for a few weeks now and you can't actually do anything with Lupine Prototype so often that it's not worth running.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 15, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

Heaven // Earth out of the board is how you win that matchup. Which is why I run a lot more of them; there's a lot of matches where it's relevant. Hell, I maindeck one.

That's good to know because I haven't actually drawn it against zombies yet in testing so I wasn't sure if it was genuinely good or too cute

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Remember when I said Unified Will was secret Merfolk tech?

Not so much of a secret anymore.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Remember when I said Unified Will was secret Merfolk tech?

Not so much of a secret anymore.

I don't think it's been a secret for like, a year and a half at least. I hope I still have my foils but I probably sold them.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Why do you guys think B/G counters took out Verdurous Gearhulk? I thought it was a really good topend for em, that was lacking at the top tables. Obviously pros know more than I do.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

En Fuego posted:

Why do you guys think B/G counters took out Verdurous Gearhulk? I thought it was a really good topend for em, that was lacking at the top tables. Obviously pros know more than I do.

Gotta go fast

The best performing (sample size) GB deck's curve stopped at 3, besides Bone Picker, and if you are casting that for 4 you are already not very happy.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 15, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

En Fuego posted:

Just a metagame choice probably, in a vacuum the hulk is one of the more powerful cards but you don't want to go tall vs ulamog.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ShaneB posted:

So even though I barely play standard, I recently dropped the $60 or so I needed for the remaining pieces of BG energy style decks. I wanted a playset of Walking Ballista anyway so whatever. The build varieties lately are pretty impressive. Anyone care to help me think about what matters in a world of Aetherworks and Zombies? I'm guessing Aetherworks is just trying to go faster and maybe some artifact removal, but I don't really know all what else makes sense. I can certainly just cast threats and turn them sideways but I'd like to have an idea of how to tweak the deck right now for best results in the foreseeable future. Changing decks isn't really an option, as I just paid for the remaining pieces as a lark.
I've no actual clue, but I'd try maindecking a full set of Deliverances if your meta has any Marvels in it. Because why not, there,s no consequences because it cycles, right? :v: If you go wide enough, you'll have to start worrying about Chandra instead of Ulamog, so maybe try hating the Marvel out and winning before they can hard-cast any bombs. Avainst zombies, I dunno, just race it maybe. It just makes 5/5 zombies so put some Yahenni's Expertises in or something I'm bad at this game.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

mcmagic posted:

It really never came down on T5 or T6 in practice without Marvel.
I don't understand your point.

Marvel's been made a worse deck because the target it spins for does not usually win the game immediately, the target it spins for can't be easily cast from hand and there are fewer game ending targets to spin for. You want to reenable the best target for Marvel, the best finisher for G/B Delirium, the best vehicle that was in Mardu, the consistent t4 combo deck and the best blue/white tempo drop because you scrubbed out of a PPTQ due to variance in your own deck choice? I don't quite see how making the format that still lacks proper answers for any of those cards (barring Reflector Mage) as broken and unplayable as it was before will make standard better.

I understand you practically make a business of shitposts w/r/t magic the gathering but this level of hyperbole is a bit over the top, don't you think?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sestze posted:

I don't understand your point.

Marvel's been made a worse deck because the target it spins for does not usually win the game immediately, the target it spins for can't be easily cast from hand and there are fewer game ending targets to spin for. You want to reenable the best target for Marvel, the best finisher for G/B Delirium, the best vehicle that was in Mardu, the consistent t4 combo deck and the best blue/white tempo drop because you scrubbed out of a PPTQ due to variance in your own deck choice? I don't quite see how making the format that still lacks proper answers for any of those cards (barring Reflector Mage) as broken and unplayable as it was before will make standard better.

I understand you practically make a business of shitposts w/r/t magic the gathering but this level of hyperbole is a bit over the top, don't you think?

I just said 2 posts ago that I think Marvel is the worst gameplay and I'd rather have Emrakul and all the other banned cards in the format than Marvel. At no point did I advocate unbanning Emrakul while Marvel is still legal. Maybe you should read my posts before you shitpost while accusing me of shitposting. I also said that the fact that i lost didn't matter and that I was just commenting on the format in general... But don't let that destroy your narrative.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

mcmagic posted:

At no point did I advocate unbanning Emrakul while Marvel is still legal.

Actually you did, but I knew what you meant.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mindslaver is much better gameplay than 4 mana, probably cast an Ulamog if not probably cast an Ulamog next turn. The problem is the 13/13 flying trampler that comed attached, and the protection from instants. And the cost reduction. And the cast trigger. Mainly the cast trigger tbh.

Like if there were no eldrazi, what's the best thing you could do with Marvel? Big Chandra? Gearhulk? That's completely fair given the fail rate and the fact that then you have to play 4 copies of a 6 mana double red planeswalker.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

Actually you did, but I knew what you meant.

No I didn't. My entire post was in the context of hard casting it, clearly envisioning a world without Marvel.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

C-Euro posted:

Anyone want to share their solutions on how to (physically) organize their collection? I'm moving over the next couple of weeks and realized that my collection is super unorganized even if it fits into a couple of tupperware boxes. Completed decks in deckboxes are fine but interested in how you organize WIPs, staples you want to hang onto, tradestock (I don't take a binder to FNM anymore), lands, alternate cards for built decks, and other stuff.

I have the 4 binders and they go like this.

All lands in one binder separated by color followed by utility lands
All legacy only staples in another binder by color
All modern/ legacy shared staples in another binder by color
All modern only staples in another binder by color

I prefer the 4 because I can keep playsets together in one row

Bulk rares are by set and color in 2 row cardboard boxes

All uncommon and commons are by set and color in 5 row boxes in release order.

All unopened product is in the closet.

That being said I have another 5000 cards I need to resort right now and I'm too lazy to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I just spent a couple of minutes cleaning duplicates out of my land box and making sure I can find the C16 ones quickly at the next draft.

I'm really happy I don't have a real collection, keeping one in any sort of working order sounds like a pain.