Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GeneX posted:

He is also pretty drat good at game design, and is blamed for a lot of things that people should actually be shouting at Aaron Forsythe or Chris Cocks for.

Actually, I'm going to keep blaming Infect on him, if it's all the same to you?

And we blame a lot of things on Ken Nagle, rightfully so.

MaRo gets a lot of flak because for a long time he was by far the most vocal member of R&D and he still takes player questions and answers them on his blog - including the infamous "you may not care, but other people do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Here is 80's James Hetfields's Turbofog list from a few weeks ago:

80s James Hetfield posted:

Lands - 23

4 Aether Hub
4 Evolving Wilds
2 Canopy Vista
2 Island
2 Lumbering Falls
2 Mountain
1 Needle Spires
1 Plains
1 Wandering Fumarole
1 Botanical Sanctum
1 Cinder Glade
1 Forest
1 Inspiring Vantage

Spells - 37

4 Fevered Visions
4 Dynavolt Tower
4 Haze of Pollen
4 Commencement of Festivities
4 Repel the Abominable
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Censor

3 Void Shatter or Negate (I can't decide right now)
2 Anticipate
2 Fateful Showdown
1 Rise from the Tides
1 Wildest Dreams

SB - 15

4x Negate (Debating on Mainboarding 3)
3x Radiant Flames
2x Dispel
2x Release the Gremlins
1x Sphinx of the Final World

3x ??? Still thinking

I took a very similar list into two leagues on MTGO. I discovered I'm not very good at control after only winning a single match via time, and this seems to be a very skill dependent deck. Games where I couldn't get a FV down were blowouts usually. I also think he might be trolling with the single Wildest Dreams because I never found a time where I wanted to play it.

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003

araeris posted:

Here is 80's James Hetfields's Turbofog list from a few weeks ago:

I took a very similar list into two leagues on MTGO. I discovered I'm not very good at control after only winning a single match via time, and this seems to be a very skill dependent deck. Games where I couldn't get a FV down were blowouts usually. I also think he might be trolling with the single Wildest Dreams because I never found a time where I wanted to play it.

Is there some kind of primer on the best way to navigate this deck? I would love to try it out but I'm not sure of the best way to pilot. Do you get kind of low? Seems like the towers would have trouble killing zombies so you just go face each time?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing control and midrange for about 5 months now and want to play something aggro for Game Day, so I decided on Mardu.

The question I have is do I play Walking Ballista or Veteran Motorist? I can really only think of one other player who would also be playing Ballista to shoot down my motorist, but he also will be playing Glint-Sleeve Siphoner for me to shoot down.

I am not experienced enough with the deck to know which is better. What I do believe is that Thalia will be a better choice over Pia due to the abundance of cheap zombie decks probably showing up.

Any suggestions? I'm basically running Andrew Jessup's list from the SCG event but -1 Heart +1 Baliista, and sideboard differences to account for Marvel.

Edit: I take it Ballista's appearance was mainly for Cat Combo?

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 15, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's an interesting manabase.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Cracker Baron posted:

Is there some kind of primer on the best way to navigate this deck? I would love to try it out but I'm not sure of the best way to pilot. Do you get kind of low? Seems like the towers would have trouble killing zombies so you just go face each time?

Yeah, I'm curious as well. It seems like the goal is to start slamming Fevered Visions as soon as possible and supplement with Tower. Is there something I'm missing?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It seems like the win condition is residual damage from Fevered Visions along with ramping up Tower with all the Fogs?

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003
I know a couple people will probably play RW humans at Gameday - wonder how much that puts a hamper on the dog deck with the repel the abominable..

I think my meta is going to be highly aggressive this Gameday so this might be a nice option..

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

there's lots of modern all over chicago. just not on Fridays

also the constructed scene in chicago itself isn't great. It's all out in the burbs, which is consistent with the metro areas I've lived in

Yeah there are really only a few stores in Chicago with good constructed scenes. It's mildly surprising.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

I've been playing control and midrange for about 5 months now and want to play something aggro for Game Day, so I decided on Mardu.

The question I have is do I play Walking Ballista or Veteran Motorist? I can really only think of one other player who would also be playing Ballista to shoot down my motorist, but he also will be playing Glint-Sleeve Siphoner for me to shoot down.

I am not experienced enough with the deck to know which is better. What I do believe is that Thalia will be a better choice over Pia due to the abundance of cheap zombie decks probably showing up.

Any suggestions? I'm basically running Andrew Jessup's list from the SCG event but -1 Heart +1 Baliista, and sideboard differences to account for Marvel.

Edit: I take it Ballista's appearance was mainly for Cat Combo?

Veteran Motorist beating down vs Marvel and smoothing out your draws is definitely what I would be playing. The only creatures Ballista picks off in zombies are 1 mana, and that matchup is too fast to get a big ballista out. The only deck that wants it at this point is a G/B deck that can really abuse the counters. It was also an easy way to flip Avacyn, so it is possible that it still has a place (I was playing Mardu before that was a deck) but honestly I doubt it.

For the record, the last 3 Mardu vehicles decks to 5-0 MTGO are playing 4 Veteran Motorist maindeck and 0 Ballista in the 75, with 2 Avacyn (down from 3 for a lot of builds).

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
There was a Second Sun New Perspectives list that got a deck tech running mostly red instead of white that ran Sweltering Sun. Did that guy not even make T64? I'd hoped the deck I want to jam to the most at a PPTQ soon would have some sort of good matchups in the coming standard, even to aggro.

E: I forgot, they weren't running Approach of the Second Sun at all. I still hold out hope for that deck.

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 15, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Zombies are my favorite tribe, and I'm stoked they won a PT today, but I'm leaning towards RG Gods for Gameday. I bet lots of people will tune for zombies, and RG is almost all new cards I wanna play.

I might have less of a chance of winning than if I took zombies, but I think I'll have more fun turning gods sideways? Also I'll finally get to cast Lupine Prototype.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Cracker Baron posted:

I don't remember seeing one, but maybe it was in the previous MTG thread and I missed it. I got the impression it needs heavy tuning to the meta you are expecting. I think this particular version of the list is too light on removal/sweepers for what I was seeing on MTGO. I had a lot of trouble stabilizing. There was another Turbofog deck that showed up at PT Aether Revolt that was more energy based. Decklist is on the magic.wizards.com event coverage archive somewhere.

Also, just trying to jam a Fevered Visions or Tower on turn 3/turn 4 is not a great idea as that is usually when the key piece of their deck shows up that you need to negate/essence scatter/void shatter/censor, and you can't be tapping out on your own turn.

Also, don't try to activate Dynavolt Tower after you cast a Repel the Abominable on the same turn. That does not work. I found out the hard way.

I've decided to go in the opposite direction, so I'm working on a Faith of the Devoted/Madness/Burn deck with Hazoret. I'll report back (maybe to the brewhaus thread) if that seems somewhat viable when I'm done.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

Veteran Motorist beating down vs Marvel and smoothing out your draws is definitely what I would be playing. The only creatures Ballista picks off in zombies are 1 mana, and that matchup is too fast to get a big ballista out. The only deck that wants it at this point is a G/B deck that can really abuse the counters. It was also an easy way to flip Avacyn, so it is possible that it still has a place (I was playing Mardu before that was a deck) but honestly I doubt it.

For the record, the last 3 Mardu vehicles decks to 5-0 MTGO are playing 4 Veteran Motorist maindeck and 0 Ballista in the 75, with 2 Avacyn (down from 3 for a lot of builds).

Thanks.

The other downside I can think of is that Veteran does not turn on Spires, but that is probably okay. How do you think Mardu's transitional sideboard of Oath and Planeswalkers will fair against Zombies?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BJPaskoff posted:

We got out of oppressive terrible Standard via bans and emergency bans just in time for Lame Duck Standard where no one wants to invest because their cards will be worthless in a few short months.

5 months is short? That's pretty funny if 40-50% of every year is Lame Duck Standard.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

5 months is short? That's pretty funny if 40-50% of every year is Lame Duck Standard.

I meant to edit an "almost" in there. I always hated getting stuck with formerly valuable cards at the end of a season, so I sold out earlier and earlier until I didn't play Standard anymore, and so my timeframe is all messed up.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

Thanks.

The other downside I can think of is that Veteran does not turn on Spires, but that is probably okay. How do you think Mardu's transitional sideboard of Oath and Planeswalkers will fair against Zombies?

I think its one or two Oath of Liliana and that's it, mostly as a way to get value 2/2's to protect your planeswalker. I think you still want minimum 2 fumigate in the sideboard, and the new hot tech is 2 fatal push and 2 Declaration in Stone maindeck, because it deals with a resolved Ulamog and exiles a bunch of annoying zombies threats, can hit multiple threats at once, and is insane vs their tokens. I'd probably play a third declaration in the board, I think it will be that good.

As to which planeswalkers you play for the sideboard plan, I think 2 Nahiri 1 Chandra, since she's easier to cast and being able to exile instead of deal 4 damage is a huge upside. The ability to hit enchantments and sometimes marvel is just a bonus.

The Mardu deck since Amonkhet has had amazing mana, so I wouldn't worry about spires being a little worse. You also get to play 24 lands with multiple Canyon Slough to fix and prevent flood.

Having played Marvel, I can tell you, Dispossess it not the way to go, pack 2-3 transgress, and hope to fire one off turn 3 if you can. They're way better because on later turns they hit Tireless Trackers and planeswalkers and strip the turn 8 Ulamog that was getting cast next turn.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I might try 3 push 1 Declaration.

Right now my sideboard is:
2 Oath of lili, 2 Nahiri, 1 Ob, 1 Sorin, 1 painful truths
3 Transgress, 2 Lost Legacy, but I want to do a 1 lost / 1 Dispossess for Torrential Gearhulk
1 Fumigate, 1 Anguished unmaking, 1 release the gremlins

If I were to cut for a second fumigate I would probably a Lost Legacy, but I will admit the Marvel match up is tough, and a friend of mine will be running it.
As far as the two guys running zombies, their list aren't fully tuned because of budget reasons, but that could easily change based on mail orders for Game day.
The rest of my field will be various aggro and good players on control.

Right now against control I have been siding like so:
-4 Fatal Push
-1 Cut // Ribbons

+3 Transgress
+1 Sorin
+1 Ob

I feel like this allows me to keep pushing aggro and forcing their removal, and then I can strip their hands and slam planeswalkers.
Against Marvel I go full control route with walkers and hand disruption.
B/G I bring in the Oath / Walker combo.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Just imagine if rotation happened every 6 months, no one would play Standard at all!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tales of Woe posted:

Just imagine if rotation happened every 6 months, no one would play Standard at all!

what a world that would be

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Anyone want to share their solutions on how to (physically) organize their collection? I'm moving over the next couple of weeks and realized that my collection is super unorganized even if it fits into a couple of tupperware boxes. Completed decks in deckboxes are fine but interested in how you organize WIPs, staples you want to hang onto, tradestock (I don't take a binder to FNM anymore), lands, alternate cards for built decks, and other stuff.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Anyone want to share their solutions on how to (physically) organize their collection? I'm moving over the next couple of weeks and realized that my collection is super unorganized even if it fits into a couple of tupperware boxes. Completed decks in deckboxes are fine but interested in how you organize WIPs, staples you want to hang onto, tradestock (I don't take a binder to FNM anymore), lands etc.

sell it all and throw away whats not worth anything. then play limited only, selling any cards you get that are worth more then a buck and give the cruft away to whoever will take them

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ftfy

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Those big white cardshop-grade storage boxes are good for storing lots of cards. Just chuck cards in there sorted by set and collector number, and always be able to find the card you're looking for without much hassle. Not so great for collection browsing though, you'll probably want to use some sort of collection tracker to know what money cards you already have.

From experience, I wouldn't recommend storing work-in-progress decks somewhere separate. That's just a really easy way to lose track of cards. Just keep full decks that you're actually playing separate in labeled deckboxes, and when you break down a deck to use some of the cards elsewhere, break it down entirely and put the unused cards back in the right place. If you still have the decklist it's going to be really easy to put it back together if all the cards are sorted away properly anyway.

I don't do trades, but if I did it'd just be in a binder and making sure to note in the collection manager that they're in your trade binder instead of in bulk storage.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Soul Glo posted:

Zombies are my favorite tribe, and I'm stoked they won a PT today, but I'm leaning towards RG Gods for Gameday. I bet lots of people will tune for zombies, and RG is almost all new cards I wanna play.

I might have less of a chance of winning than if I took zombies, but I think I'll have more fun turning gods sideways? Also I'll finally get to cast Lupine Prototype.

I'm skeptical Prototype is actually better than Lambholt Pacifist because Pacifist can always block and attacks fairly reliably when you are fulfilling your decks conditions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
FWIW this

mandatory lesbian posted:

play limited only, selling any cards you get that are worth more then a buck and give the cruft away to whoever will take them

is what I told myself I'd do when I got back into the game in '13 and lol look where I am now. Admittedly there's a lot of stuff in here I could sell and not miss at all, but I haven't figured out who'd want it as it's a lot of bulk rares and EDH junk.

Jabor posted:

Those big white cardshop-grade storage boxes are good for storing lots of cards. Just chuck cards in there sorted by set and collector number, and always be able to find the card you're looking for without much hassle. Not so great for collection browsing though, you'll probably want to use some sort of collection tracker to know what money cards you already have.

From experience, I wouldn't recommend storing work-in-progress decks somewhere separate. That's just a really easy way to lose track of cards. Just keep full decks that you're actually playing separate in labeled deckboxes, and when you break down a deck to use some of the cards elsewhere, break it down entirely and put the unused cards back in the right place. If you still have the decklist it's going to be really easy to put it back together if all the cards are sorted away properly anyway.

I don't do trades, but if I did it'd just be in a binder and making sure to note in the collection manager that they're in your trade binder instead of in bulk storage.

Yeah I have a Deckbox page for my collection and decklists and it's a life-saver. I could probably sell a lot of this unused crap on there but I've not played around with their buying/selling services.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

Anyone want to share their solutions on how to (physically) organize their collection? I'm moving over the next couple of weeks and realized that my collection is super unorganized even if it fits into a couple of tupperware boxes. Completed decks in deckboxes are fine but interested in how you organize WIPs, staples you want to hang onto, tradestock (I don't take a binder to FNM anymore), lands, alternate cards for built decks, and other stuff.

Once your collection grows to any decent size you realize that binders are complete poo poo for storage. You also realize that for cards worth anything keeping in the bulk cardboard bins are poo poo too.

The system I use fairly simple. Since I generally play modern and swap decks a lot, so I perfect sleeve everything. That way when I take them in and out of sleeves or store them, they are ding free. I know that seems crazy at first, but if you buy the perfect fits online its really not that much money. After perfect fitting everything, I store them in these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002TT3JI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These hold a lot of cards just in perfect fits. I generally have my all staples sorted by color. They are also the perfect size for putting in a drawer or stacking in multiples.

The bulk/commons/whatever go in cardboard boxes from BCW for long term storage.

As far as tracking my collection, I just use tcgplayer. It automatically adds cards you buy on there so it cuts down on time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm skeptical Prototype is actually better than Lambholt Pacifist because Pacifist can always block and attacks fairly reliably when you are fulfilling your decks conditions.

There's a downside either way. Prototype always turns on Rhonas and is relevant late game, Pacifist can block early, but doesn't turn on Rhonas.

Plus, I'd rather top deck a 5/5 than a 3/3, and I like having seven 2 drops that turn on turn 3 Rhonas between a playset of Bloodrage and three Prototype.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 15, 2017

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

No, poo poo. Link?
We're talking about way back in the day, we're talking about in whatever the magic the gathering magazine thing was around that time - Inquest? I'm not sure. There was an entire article about how to play Ray of Command effectively.

From a cursory search, it still seems popular in commander: The Spider Effect

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

I might try 3 push 1 Declaration.

Right now my sideboard is:
2 Oath of lili, 2 Nahiri, 1 Ob, 1 Sorin, 1 painful truths
3 Transgress, 2 Lost Legacy, but I want to do a 1 lost / 1 Dispossess for Torrential Gearhulk
1 Fumigate, 1 Anguished unmaking, 1 release the gremlins

If I were to cut for a second fumigate I would probably a Lost Legacy, but I will admit the Marvel match up is tough, and a friend of mine will be running it.
As far as the two guys running zombies, their list aren't fully tuned because of budget reasons, but that could easily change based on mail orders for Game day.
The rest of my field will be various aggro and good players on control.

Right now against control I have been siding like so:
-4 Fatal Push
-1 Cut // Ribbons

+3 Transgress
+1 Sorin
+1 Ob

I feel like this allows me to keep pushing aggro and forcing their removal, and then I can strip their hands and slam planeswalkers.
Against Marvel I go full control route with walkers and hand disruption.
B/G I bring in the Oath / Walker combo.

Those are the right moves in the sideboard, although vs Marvel I liked to keep in all the aggressive creatures, and just drop the fatal pushes for transgress and an anguished unmaking. Transgress is great vs them no matter what SB plan they go with as all their impact cards are 3+ mana. Its the toughest match to sideboard because it has so many builds, but fatal push is awful vs Marvel, and Transgress is great. I personally never boarded out my 1 toughness guys except vs GB because of their Ballista but the deck has a ton of play to it, I don't think there's any real consensus.

I think vs Zombies I'd cut toolcraft even on the play because it can't block and any random 2/2 zombie can blank it. In all the time I played the deck the only thing I learned and know for sure is never cut Thraben Inspector, in any matchup.

I also decided to play the Jund Gods list that went 8-1 or something at the PT after watching CalebD stream it to 5-0. I made very minor tweaks but the deck feels great if zombies is a big part of the meta.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I also decided to play the Jund Gods list that went 8-1 or something at the PT after watching CalebD stream it to 5-0. I made very minor tweaks but the deck feels great if zombies is a big part of the meta.

Heart of Kiran and Rhonas seem to play well together.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

It seems like the win condition is residual damage from Fevered Visions along with ramping up Tower with all the Fogs?
It's pretty close to SaffronOlive's Energy Fog from a while back: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-85-35-tix-standard-energy-fog

He updated it the other day, taking out basically the entire energy component (about halfway down the page): https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/amonkhet-budget-magic-updates

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Sestze posted:

We're talking about way back in the day, we're talking about in whatever the magic the gathering magazine thing was around that time - Inquest? I'm not sure. There was an entire article about how to play Ray of Command effectively.

From a cursory search, it still seems popular in commander: The Spider Effect

Thanks, I looked and only saw people trying to sell the card.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
After opening a foil Torrential Gearhulk from the the Standard Showdown booster, I am now on board with that promotion.

Played GB Delirium sans Snake, which I am now not.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Siivola posted:

It's pretty close to SaffronOlive's Energy Fog from a while back: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-85-35-tix-standard-energy-fog

He updated it the other day, taking out basically the entire energy component (about halfway down the page): https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/amonkhet-budget-magic-updates

I don't like his updates (especially Bounty of the Luxa and I always HATED Prophetic Prism) but YMMV.

You can take this deck a bunch of different ways and mostly I change it up weekly because the 3 store meta in my 25 mile radius are very aggro based or control based.

I run 23 lands which gives us 37 cards left over & after 12 fogs we're at 25. I've been toying with running all 16 fogs (Commencement, Haze, Fissure, Repel) which leaves us with 21 cards so I'll report back how that does after Friday. I took Tower out of my build last week and ended up going 2-2 and I think I definitely want it back in.

Next you decide what you want your win-cons to be. Naturally the hierarchy goes Visions/Tower/Fateful Showdown/Man Land beats but now that we have Approach you can change the hierarchy of how you want it to work for you and base your deck around it.

It's really fun to play, you'll tilt the hell out of people running aggro decks and if you can slam a visions on T3 it's really hard to lose. If you find your meta is control throw some maindeck counters in there and if you can slam a T3 vision while they're tapped out or a t4 visions with dispel backup then it's favorable too. Only hard decision I regularly have to make is my t3 play if I have both visions and tower in hand. You'll have some trouble against XB decks that'll SB Pick the Brain, Lost Legacy, and Trangress so make sure you pack some counters in your SB

This is a fun goofy deck to play at FNM and Standard Showdown because it's a deck literally nobody thinks they'll play or even prepares for. I've basically 4-0 split or 3-1 FNM's for the last 3 months so if you play casual and just want to have fun this is the deck for you and it can definitely hang with the T1 matchups.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I have a total noob question. Back in my day it was considered very amateurish to go over 60 cards in constructed formats. Is that still a rigid rule?

It always seemed a little too inflexible to me especially if you added a few mana generators like Sol Ring or Birds of Paradise to go over 60. I think I usually ran 66.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I have a total noob question. Back in my day it was considered very amateurish to go over 60 cards in constructed formats. Is that still a rigid rule?

It always seemed a little too inflexible to me especially if you added a few mana generators like Sol Ring or Birds of Paradise to go over 60. I think I usually ran 66.

Yeah. Going over 60 is not something you generally want to do. I'm not sure what sol ring and birds of paradise have to do with it. I'd want my deck as small as possible to maximize my chance of drawing a sol ring.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's still considered best if you just stick to a 60 card deck and a 15 card sideboard. The reason for that is because every card you add to the deck dilutes it, making the odds of drawing your best cards lower. It's the same reason that you are usually building a 40 card limited deck, the closer you are to the minimum the stronger your deck is.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty rigid. Getting rid of the worst card in your deck makes it more likely that you'll draw the best cards in your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Makes sense, thanks.