Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

go_banana posted:

Might open up some bougie sports given Vic is now following NSWs lead of vaccinating our way out of doom and no longer chasing COVID 0?

we're up to COVID 19 mate try to keep up

e: snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/msanto92/status/1437938192632606722

NSW presser is at Qudos. It's going to be vaccination related.

80% reached. Curfew being lifted in 12 LGAs of concern from tonight.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 15, 2021

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Here in one of the largest indigenous populations in Australia we have the lowest vacination rate anywhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...p-vaccine-rates

It is as low as 10% in the actual indigenous community. This has now been recognised as a problem area :psyduck: The front line health care worker (i know personally) that can't have AZ due to factors still hasn't had a first dose of Pfizer. Melinda "Lying Hound" Pavey says that there is amble Pfizer available locally.

The fuckup fairy has put in for OT here as the workload is shocking.

In Federal clown car bandit news:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-14/christian-porter-legal-fees-paid-mystery-donor-defamation-abc/100461294

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-15/turnbull-says-christian-porter-blind-trust-outrageous/100462584

Rapist and fraudster, our Christian.

In September 2019 JC, 29, was shot dead by a police officer outside her house in Geraldton, Western Australia. At the time, police said they had been called to the Yamatji woman’s house by her family and that “during an incident at the address an officer discharged their firearm, causing a woman to receive a gunshot wound”. JC's family say they called police for help in transferring her to hospital because she was having “difficulty at home” after being released from jail. The police officer, whose name is suppressed, has pleaded not guilty to murder and remains on bail. The officer has asked for the trial to be held in Geraldton. The case is next listed to come before the court on 10 October, when it is expected that a decison will be made on where the trial will be held. Guardian Australia is referring to the woman as JC at the request of her senior next of kin.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, injured in custody, force used, mental health / cognitive impairment.

You only think you need the hospital. You actually needed the morgue.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

Because its way easier to communicate and enforce a blanket ban, rather than picking and choosing which handful of sports can be played, because people would push the limits of that at every opportunity.

"But officer, table tennis is effectively tennis, so im allowed to play it in a small room with 3 other players, 2 coaches, a ref and some supporters"

Yeah, remember (18 months ago gently caress) when this was all kicking off and Morrison had his big lists of what you could and couldn't do and the conditions for doing them?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I always thought the reasoning behind "You can play tennis and golf, but not football" style restrictions were not the restrictions themselves, but so that you could ease restrictions gradually.

But more important, you get to have multiple "good news, we are relaxing restrictions!" style press announcements. I.E. You start with a blanket sports ban. Then 2 weeks later you say that people can play golf. YAY, you are the conquering hero giving good news, so thats good PR. Do the same again the next week for tennis, and the same the week after for cycling etc. You get to spread the good news out over a longer time, so as a person/government you get associated with good news, and also you get to say "we are releasing restrictions slowly but surely", so you get to seem sensible and like you are doing the right thing.

Obviously this style of announcing restriction easing is not only for sports.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always thought the reasoning behind "You can play tennis and golf, but not football" style restrictions were not the restrictions themselves, but so that you could ease restrictions gradually.

But more important, you get to have multiple "good news, we are relaxing restrictions!" style press announcements. I.E. You start with a blanket sports ban. Then 2 weeks later you say that people can play golf. YAY, you are the conquering hero giving good news, so thats good PR. Do the same again the next week for tennis, and the same the week after for cycling etc. You get to spread the good news out over a longer time, so as a person/government you get associated with good news, and also you get to say "we are releasing restrictions slowly but surely", so you get to seem sensible and like you are doing the right thing.

Obviously this style of announcing restriction easing is not only for sports.

I hate the way it's framed as giving us freedoms rather than easing restrictions.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

NPR Journalizard posted:

Because its way easier to communicate and enforce a blanket ban, rather than picking and choosing which handful of sports can be played, because people would push the limits of that at every opportunity.

"But officer, table tennis is effectively tennis, so im allowed to play it in a small room with 3 other players, 2 coaches, a ref and some supporters"

It might be easier to communicate and enforce, but that doesn't make it right, and I wish the Government wouldn't frame it as based on "health advice". Just be honest: say we're banning every sport because it's easier to enforce.

Lolie posted:

I hate the way it's framed as giving us freedoms rather than easing restrictions.

Same. It's kind of disturbing, really.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lolie posted:

NSW presser is at Qudos. It's going to be vaccination related.

80% reached. Curfew being lifted in 12 LGAs of concern from tonight.

interesting coincidence

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ballarat in Vic is apparently going into lockdown tonight? Just have an abc headline.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

the vic libs have made tim smith shadow ag lol

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Eediot Jedi posted:

Ballarat in Vic is apparently going into lockdown tonight? Just have an abc headline.

Watching the presser now. Shepparton is coming out of lockdown as Ballarat enters a 7 day lockdown.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Can he even travel back to the shadow realm under current restrictions?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
"Postcodes of priority"

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

I think it's also not so much the actual physical circumstances of golf and tennis per se, but rather the transmission risk of mingling at the facilities, chatting in the car park, etc etc. But that in turn makes more sense in the 2020 gotta-get-to-zero, ban all movement as much as possible situation, rather than the 2021 situation where COVID zero has been abandoned and we're just trying to keep cases at bay while we vaccinate our way out.

Lolie posted:

Watching the presser now. Shepparton is coming out of lockdown as Ballarat enters a 7 day lockdown.

I genuinely didn't even realise country Vic was out of lockdown

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

interesting coincidence

No coincidence, it's the easiest bone to throw out to 12 LGAs after meeting with them after weeks of ignoring requests to.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

woofbro posted:

No coincidence, it's the easiest bone to throw out to 12 LGAs after meeting with them after weeks of ignoring requests to.

Plus some of those 12 LGA's have the highest vaccination rates now with 90+% first dose. It's the least locked down areas like the eastern suburbs that are lagging.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/abcmelbourne/status/1438032428065382403
https://twitter.com/abcmelbourne/status/1438020473195925505

Lolie fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 15, 2021

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I hope the public transport shutdown stuff doesn't get abused later on when people are protesting about things that are actually important

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Eediot Jedi posted:

I just saw all the contact sites on the map.

All Shepparton's sites are a few weeks old, all Ballarat's ones are new :sigh:

At least I was able to get my taxes, dentistry and annual eye check all done in the respite between lockdowns.

Click for direct link to Coronavirus.gov.au hotspot map

It's a lot easier than waiting to see them listed on the news.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just saw all the contact sites on the map.

All Shepparton's sites are a few weeks old, all Ballarat's ones are new :sigh:

Click for direct link to Coronavirus.gov.au hotspot map

It's a lot easier than waiting to see them listed on the news.

The exposure sites are basically useless these days as they've lost complete track of this poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, I definitely acknowledge that it's like an astronomer staring through a telescope at distant objects - you're looking into the past.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, I definitely acknowledge that it's like an astronomer staring through a telescope at distant objects - you're looking into the past.

Yeah, it's not that the info isn't useful just that there's so many untracked cases these days that it's hardly worth the credence the media is giving it. There should be thousands more exposure sites than what is currently listed given that there's 4k active cases in Vic at the moment. The fact that the QR code system doesn't appear to be being used for max effect really pisses me off.

I recommend people look at cases in your LGA as a better indicator of how hosed you are going to the shops: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/victorian-coronavirus-covid-19-data

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/EVLASH20/status/1438010034198245376

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

good

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I'm not a fan of the Covid antilockdown protestors but yeah, this police state poo poo is loving heinous.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
what is this?

https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/1438097309619957764

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

nvj is being freed

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
In non-Covid news (how long as it been since that? Five minutes probably because of Christian Porter's corrupt secret trust fund account thing), WA is making their upper house votes all equal and removing regional weightings.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

quote:

The Morrison government is expected to make a major announcement about Australia’s submarine program on Thursday in conjunction with the Biden administration, with rumours the troubled $90 billion contract with French shipbuilder Naval Group is about to be torn up.

Speculation was rife among diplomatic and defence circles on Wednesday night that Australia was about to partner with the United States and United Kingdom to buy a nuclear-powered submarine.

As an interim step, there were suggestions the US was planning to operate some of its Virginia class nuclear-powered submarines out Perth’s naval base, HMAS Stirling.

The British government, which also operates nuclear-powered submarines, could be brought in to support Australia with reactor technology.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

It's the alien reveal :tinfoil:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Interesting. I don’t hate the idea, nuclear subs make far more sense than diesel ones.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-15/allied-naval-united-states-biden-australia-nuclear-submarines/100465628

lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I feel like we've been replacing these Collins class submarines since I was a child.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

JBP posted:

I feel like we've been replacing these Collins class submarines since I was a child.

I would hate to see our children grow up ina world where we aren't still replacing them

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Has anyone asked Porter why his blind trust isn't a proceed of crime, and how would he know it's not?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How much we paying the frogs to not build us a sub? Whatever it is I could have not built a sub for at least half the price.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

gay picnic defence posted:

Interesting. I don’t hate the idea, nuclear subs make far more sense than diesel ones.

So we would be sailing our vessels to US or UK to get them refuelled or overhauled ? Or build the infrastructure here?
Where does the old reactor and other contaminated equipment go ?

The Australian Submarine program is still a disgusting waste of money. 12 Barracudas were originally supposed to cost $50 billion, pretty sure tomorrow we will hear it was heading towards $135 billion and the exit clause will be triggered (Naval Group still gets ~$450 million in break fees)

The RAN cannot even get enough personnel to man our current 6 subs, so no idea why we will get the manpower to crew 12. If we really spend huge amounts of money, we can maybe counter Indonesia's fleet at best - who are only getting France to build their submarines specifically to counter ours.

Any concept of Australia vs China is insanity, in the event of a conflict, if an Australila submarine attacks a China Submarine, the China SSBN's kill 90% of the population of Australia within 24 hours (best case).

Here are the current fleets as best I can see

evilbastard fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 15, 2021

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hello Australian goons, the cold war thread just came across this nuclear subs for Australia thing via the Covert Shores blog and this article over here. It sounds like the French deal is going to be ended, and in looking for altertatives, the UK/USA have found quite a few things to like about selling Australia nuclear subs - mainly that in a world where China is the biggest threat, they could establish a base in Perth that could service their nuke subs as well as the Australians.

Anyway, since I know almost nothing about Auspol, just wondering what everyone's piss take is.

evilbastard posted:

Any concept of Australia vs China is insanity, in the event of a conflict, if an Australila submarine attacks a China Submarine, the China SSBN's kill 90% of the population of Australia within 24 hours (best case).

Ironically, nearly all military planning happens in a context that assumes not global thermonuclear war, because it is so devastating as to be basically impossible to plan for or counter

Except for building nukes/missiles yourself I guess

e: Well here's a message to wake up to: ABC is reporting the speculation is fact

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-15/allied-naval-united-states-biden-australia-nuclear-submarines/100465628

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 15, 2021

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Nebakenezzer posted:

Hello Australian goons, the cold war thread just came across this nuclear subs for Australia thing via the Covert Shores blog and this article over here. It sounds like the French deal is going to be ended, and in looking for altertatives, the UK/USA have found quite a few things to like about selling Australia nuclear subs - mainly that in a world where China is the biggest threat, they could establish a base in Perth that could service their nuke subs as well as the Australians.

Anyway, since I know almost nothing about Auspol, just wondering what everyone's piss take is.

Ironically, nearly all military planning happens in a context that assumes not global thermonuclear war, because it is so devastating as to be basically impossible to plan for or counter

Except for building nukes/missiles yourself I guess

There are only a few realistic use cases for the RAN submarine fleet :

1) Protection of Australia's waters and fisheries from an external fleet (China-style mass scale poaching)

2) Protection of Australia's assets in the event of overseas conflict - if Indonesia decided to finish their grabbing of Papua New Guinea, or some other threat in the Pacific Islands, we would need submarines to protect the evacuation fleet.

Everything else is a major conflict, and the contribution of RAN's submarines are going to be small at best simply because we can only afford a few of them

Also, frankly the waters around Australia do not suit submarine combat. the seabed around Northern Australia is shallow - 50 metres to 200 metres, so it is almost impossible for a submarine to hide in that area from any air surveillance.

(Remember - 20,000 years ago during the Sahul period, Darwin was 300 km from the ocean )

I have always believed that we could get much better results by expanding the Hunter-class Frigates from the initial 8, and then buying expanding the P-8 Poseidon fleet. We have 15 P-8's at the moment, and we can buy 8x Aircraft for one submarine.
We could also buy more MQ-4C UAV's and take our fleet from the existing 8 to 24 or so for the cost of another submarine.

It is a hell of a lot easier to get people to join the Airforce then the Navy - I work with an ex-Sub guy at work and he does not have pleasant recollections of that time.

The additional advantage of all this is this is all defensive in nature. The announcement today will do nothing but feed into China nationalism about having to defend themselves from a combine US - UK - Australia alliance.

And after all :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCqXlDjx18

evilbastard fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Fair points; I just have one pinky finger of contention:

evilbastard posted:

The additional advantage of all this is this is all defensive in nature. The announcement today will do nothing but feed into China nationalism about having to defend themselves from a combine US - UK - Australia alliance.

The only way to not feed Chinese nationalist propaganda is to do everything they tell you; pretty much everything outside of that is an egregious assault on the feelings of the Chinese people