Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

what did you like about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my bathing suit area got tingly you gently caress

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the bathing suit area near the bottom of the cargo jorts or the top

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Why does microsoft's RDP app not respect windows DPI settings and why is it also unable to scale up at all? 3840 is not really usable on a 15" laptop and setting it lower just creates giant black letter and pillar boxes.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why does microsoft's RDP app not respect windows DPI settings and why is it also unable to scale up at all? 3840 is not really usable on a 15" laptop and setting it lower just creates giant black letter and pillar boxes.

you should be able to set the DPI inside the rdp session. and if your on windows 10 version of rdp you can set a custom resolution for the rdp session then enlarge it. it looks like poo poo but it works.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

A Pinball Wizard posted:

it looks like poo poo but it works.

too short for a title?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

A Pinball Wizard posted:

you should be able to set the DPI inside the rdp session. and if your on windows 10 version of rdp you can set a custom resolution for the rdp session then enlarge it. it looks like poo poo but it works.
Nope, even Windows 10's RDP app won't enlarge past 100% size. And the server is too old to have meaningful DPI settings, plus why send 4x the pixels over RDP when 1/4th would do?

Like seriously Microsoft's Mac RDP app can handle Apple's retina display laptops just fine, but Windows 10? Noooooo

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

That's not the really shameful part, the most shameful thing is that the Mac, iOS and Android RDP clients support rdp:// URI links so that you can make a nice table of RDP links to important servers on your internal company wiki, but the Windows version DOES NOT

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn690096(v=ws.11).aspx

It only supports opening those .rdp session files that you have to generate and download first :argh:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

Nope, even Windows 10's RDP app won't enlarge past 100% size.
eh?

or did you mean the DPI setting? idk I think it depends if the remote computer supports it, I can do it on our TS but not remoting into my work computer

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
rdcman is much better than standard rdp app but idk if it does dpi hth

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

error1 posted:

That's not the really shameful part, the most shameful thing is that the Mac, iOS and Android RDP clients support rdp:// URI links so that you can make a nice table of RDP links to important servers on your internal company wiki, but the Windows version DOES NOT

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn690096(v=ws.11).aspx

It only supports opening those .rdp session files that you have to generate and download first :argh:
why do you have a wiki page with rdp:// links instead of rdc manager, especially if you're on windows

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Telling your idiot coworkers to go to a page and click on a link is way easier than explaining to them how to install rdcman and keep a sessions definition file up to date, it isn't really meant for sharing. RDCman is great at what it does though.
There are rdp clients that can have a central session database but they are all commercial :(

I currently use https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:rdplink which sort of solves the problem for us.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

error1 posted:

Telling your idiot coworkers to go to a page and click on a link is way easier than explaining to them how to install rdcman and keep a sessions definition file up to date, it isn't really meant for sharing. RDCman is great at what it does though.
There are rdp clients that can have a central session database but they are all commercial :(

I currently use https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:rdplink which sort of solves the problem for us.
if it's for your idiot coworkers why don't you just drop a rdp shortcut on their desktop, especially if they're on windows

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Hmm yes that sounds like an excellent solution for hundreds of garbo windows virtual servers with incomprehensible generic hostnames instead of actually providing a convenient link from the documentation

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
sorry was that "because gpos are hard" or "but we're not on a domain and i don't have access to their computer"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you janitor enough windows systems that you need something like rdcman

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

mishaq posted:

lol if you janitor enough windows systems that you need something like rdcman

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Lol @ the idea of a server with graphics

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Our company has 5000+ windows VMs, each one wasting over 30GB of expensive enterprise SAN disk space on pointless GUI crap and 10 years of windows updates because someone thought they'd save some money by not hiring competent programmers and targetting linux

Deduplicating your primary storage is supposed to help a little but oh god why do we use windows in the enterprise

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
because your head of IT went golfing with a salesperson from an IT services company that was basically being paid by Microsoft to push their products

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

error1 posted:

Our company has 5000+ windows VMs, each one wasting over 30GB of expensive enterprise SAN disk space on pointless GUI crap and 10 years of windows updates because someone thought they'd save some money by not hiring competent programmers and targetting linux

Deduplicating your primary storage is supposed to help a little but oh god why do we use windows in the enterprise
lmao

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

A Pinball Wizard posted:

eh?

or did you mean the DPI setting? idk I think it depends if the remote computer supports it, I can do it on our TS but not remoting into my work computer
Zoom is there but greyed out because Microsoft

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Cardboard Box A posted:

Zoom is there but greyed out because Microsoft

uncheck smart sizing

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

error1 posted:

:qq:

quote:

Because linux is bad ?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

i'm the shirt

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
:rip: surface http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/24/12028002/microsoft-surface-3-tablet-production-end-2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's not even the current model of surface

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

That's not even the current model of surface

it's the current model of non-pro surface, and no replacement has been announced

it uses a cherry trail atom, which is one of the atoms which had development cancelled and won't see a replacement. yes they're still developing new atoms for cheap laptops, but those ones are at higher TDPs (6W+ vs 2W for cherry trail)

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

error1 posted:

lol rekt

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

DuckConference posted:

it's the current model of non-pro surface, and no replacement has been announced

it uses a cherry trail atom, which is one of the atoms which had development cancelled and won't see a replacement. yes they're still developing new atoms for cheap laptops, but those ones are at higher TDPs (6W+ vs 2W for cherry trail)

If there are future basic Surfaces they'll probably just use Core m.

univbee posted:

i'm the shirt

That shirt can work, but not if you're actually doing it to promote the brand.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

univbee posted:

i'm the shirt

I simply

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

If there are future basic Surfaces they'll probably just use Core m.

not for a $500 product. the days of intel paying people to put their chips in tablets are in the past

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

DuckConference posted:

not for a $500 product. the days of intel paying people to put their chips in tablets are in the past

If they come back they won't be a $500 product. That won't stop them from trying the market segmentation again.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

univbee posted:

i'm the shirt

there's a purple one that goes [onenote] to rule them all

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

duTrieux. posted:

there's a purple one that goes [onenote] to rule them all

I don't think that shirt can work.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

It works, and it's epic.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

If they come back they won't be a $500 product. That won't stop them from trying the market segmentation again.

they'd be a $275 product http://web.archive.org/web/20150810024101/http://www.woot.com/plus/microsoft-surface-tablets

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Smythe posted:

It works, and it's epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

the new dot. net is coming out tomorrow. it doesn't have any tooling and the project file format is broken or something. sad

• Locked thread