Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Academician Nomad posted:

Flying cross-country with a 2-year old in a few hours, pray for me.

I hope you got them up early and didn't let them nap

Goonspeed, sire :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

nachos posted:

How old? Our daughter needed complete darkness until about 3. If the lights outside her room were on and could be seen under the door she’d flip out and tell us to turn everything off before she felt comfortable falling back asleep. As soon as she out of a crib and into a proper bed, she needed nightlights.

2 1/4 right now. But they've been doing this for a while now.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Awesome it's the weekend, guess it's time to *checks notes* get up at 4:30am and watch Daniel tiger :dafuq:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Kid observations are the best.

My 2 year old got ahold of grandma's phone and had somehow started scrolling through lock screen presets. She had been going through them silently until she ran into a picture of a football sitting upright before a kick, at which point she yelled out "POTATO!" and started tapping it a bunch.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My 2.5yo woke up early because he pooped, so I changed him and laid back down in bed with him. After a few minutes he turned to me and said "poopoo smell"

Yeah buddy, you did that, I don't know what you want me to do about it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My father was in town for the week to help us put on a new deck. My wife told me this morning, he offered her 100k to have another child. :lol: We're having just the one kid, but I did ask her to take that offer to her dad to see if we could get the same deal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

calandryll posted:

My father was in town for the week to help us put on a new deck. My wife told me this morning, he offered her 100k to have another child. :lol: We're having just the one kid, but I did ask her to take that offer to her dad to see if we could get the same deal.

Sure, so long as it's payment up front and no refunds. "Sorry sir, I'm trying every single day but it's just not happening, such is life."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'll be fair, fifty down and fifty on delivery.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Aw man... I actually would have another kid if someone offered me $100k. Can you refer them my direction?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey Grandma and Grandpa, it's the open house at the fire house! Wanna go and see the fire trucks?

Okay here ya go, bring him back by bedtime. What, me? gently caress that I'm not going outside, it's raining.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Strong opening offer; I’d counter with $250K and see what happens. I unfortunately did the second for free.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sure, so long as it's payment up front and no refunds. "Sorry sir, I'm trying every single day but it's just not happening, such is life."

Haha. I think it stems from my comment that we can't afford another one. But good ideas about counter offers.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I miss looking forward to weekends

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Yes.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Brawnfire posted:

I miss looking forward to weekends

This is one of those things that legitimately gets to me. Where we live now, weekends in summer are still weekends with kids but have enough variety to actually be enjoyable. However, weekends from mid-October to mid-April are truly miserable due to how cold, windy, and dark it always is combined with an almost total lack of anything for kids to do indoors (and a bunch of misanthropic boomers immediately start moaning about their taxes going to anything but road maintenance if you mention this) unless you drive 40+ miles.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

I do NOT love my 3 year olds potty training regression that has coincided with her little sisters arrival. Kid, you know to pee in the potty. Stop pissing your pants.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

dismas posted:

I do NOT love my 3 year olds potty training regression that has coincided with her little sisters arrival. Kid, you know to pee in the potty. Stop pissing your pants.

Could A be related to B? Kids get weird sometimes when a new family member arrives.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Oh it absolutely is. It’s just annoying.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

I want to clean up at most one person’s piss at a time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Could A be related to B? Kids get weird sometimes when a new family member arrives.

My daughter was well into weaning when her baby brother arrived. Her seeing someone else getting that boob set us back so, so badly

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

dismas posted:

Just be glad they aren’t intentionally urinating during timeouts, because that’s one of the ways our 3yo handled the arrival of her brothers at the time!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Told kiddo he could have one of the Halloween cookies when we get back to his dad’s house.

Later in the car: Did you say I could have three or four cookies?

Kid rolled real low for persuasion but he still tries real hard.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Very carefully coaching my kid on what to go for at the trunk or treats.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

zenguitarman posted:

Very carefully coaching my kid on what to go for at the trunk or treats.

Last year was pretty embarrassing because after every house he'd go, CAN I HAVE M&Ms PLEASE?? We hit a bunch of dead end streets that didn't get much traffic so he got absolutely loving showered in M&Ms.

I missed the whole trunk or treat because I insisted on wearing one of those hilarious inflatable trex costumes, but the part they don't tell you is that the visor fogs up really bad and you can't see poo poo after 5 minutes.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Some melt downs are really cute and funny. Others are very very sad.

Cross post:

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 16, 2023

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Some days I feel like the worst parent, but then my brain does the knee jerk reaction to self-criticism "you can't be the worst, just think of the people who are worse than you!" Which is great for my gently caress ups in cooking, or whatever... But thinking about how awful people are to their children just makes me sad. Parenting is weird.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Anybody who is capable of a “I was a very bad parent today” self-reflection is never going to be the worst parent. Maybe just a very tired one.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
My son has been counting down to the arrival of a new Pteranodon toy. It finally arrived a day late…and Amazon accidentally sent us an extinct armored fish called a Dunkleosteus instead.
It’s vaguely terrifying-looking, and no amount of fake enthusiasm could convince my son that it’s a suitable replacement for a Pteranodon. I don’t know how big the Dunkleosteus market is, for all I know it’s a guest star on Dinosaur Train or some other tv show. I do know that my poor boy cried himself to sleep tonight.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

in_cahoots posted:

My son has been counting down to the arrival of a new Pteranodon toy. It finally arrived a day late…and Amazon accidentally sent us an extinct armored fish called a Dunkleosteus instead.
It’s vaguely terrifying-looking, and no amount of fake enthusiasm could convince my son that it’s a suitable replacement for a Pteranodon. I don’t know how big the Dunkleosteus market is, for all I know it’s a guest star on Dinosaur Train or some other tv show. I do know that my poor boy cried himself to sleep tonight.

I wish we could make entire posts thread titles

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

in_cahoots posted:

Oh poor ol’ in_cahoots Jr., thought of Dunkleosteus and cried.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Goon baby confirmed, she sang herself a song about "chicken butt tenders in my soul" last night

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I sing a bedtime song to my daughter counting fireflies in a jar, and yesterday I overheard her singing to her stuffed dog "one firefly in the BUTTHOLE, two fireflies in the BUTTHOLE..."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Brawnfire posted:

I sing a bedtime song to my daughter counting fireflies in a jar, and yesterday I overheard her singing to her stuffed dog "one firefly in the BUTTHOLE, two fireflies in the BUTTHOLE..."

Fireflies? In your dog's butthole? It's more likely than you think.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I love my friends, but I think this weekend has burned me out on not-parents. We had friends visit from across the country and stay with us this weekend.

It's a whole other deal in addition because it was our sperm donor (genetically the father of my wife's and my son), his sister, and his boyfriend. Donor asked to visit to meet my son, procrastinated for months and had to be followed up with constantly to actually follow through...didn't seem to understand how planned out our life has to be with child care. They asked to stay for three nights at our house. There's a lot of complicated and angsty dynamics here, but more to the point...

First full day was great, very engaged with him, amused, all that. (Hanging out with them when he was asleep was also great on the other days.) Day two, visitors hadn't slept well. Boyfriend barely slept and was just not functional, spread across to everyone being in a poo poo mood. No one really wants to interact with the 1-year old anymore, but he's still there...wanting attention from all the grown-ups who decided to hang out in the living room, his playroom. He's getting distressed because my friends aren't really engaging with him, I'm having to constantly drag him away from the boyfriend or the other two to a lesser extent because they're doing other things. And so he's getting upset about being redirected constantly, which his screeches seem to be more annoying than cute that day. My wife and they pick a restaurant that we later learned had a toddler play area, but I only stumbled on after close to two hours at this place. She thought it'd be a short line and he'd be fine, but it took an hour and a half to get our food. So I'm just managing a toddler in this space for over a hour and they're, again, not really engaging him at all. My wife and I alternate a little bit, but I'm so upset so I mostly just focus on him and avoid everyone else.

I get it. If he's not your kid, you don't have or want kids, and you've never really interacted with a toddler before, you'll wear out on them pretty quickly. He's relentless, even when he's happy. You might feel awkward. But there's a special kind of misery to policing your toddler's behavior in his own playspace with adults who are supposed to be there to meet him and who are the ones who asked for the visit...for hours at a time. More generally, I'm extra extra exhausted when managing my toddler in any space or with people not geared towards toddlers. Even when they're nice, even when they're your friends. It's too much.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Whoo. Sounds exhausting, to be sure. I'd have run them out of the house some time on day 2, I think. :-)

While some people don't seem to appreciate little kids at all, some of them do warm up over time, I've found. I was one of them, once! Probably wouldn't have had kids at all if it weren't for my annoying niece-in-law suddenly seeming extremely adorable around 2 years of age. Funny how having kids seems contagious, somehow...

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I definitely changed my mind about having kids when I saw my newborn second niece the day she was born. My first niece made me love being an aunt, but the second one came three years later and made me want to have kids someday. I do wonder how often I unintentionally made things harder for a parent. I like to think I was pretty understanding and helpful, but the amount of thought that has to go into my baby's needs is probably not understandable before raising a little one.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
If anyone has any tips for getting a two year old to wear her glasses I'm all ears.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hmm... tell her she's got a special pair that allow her to see a color nobody else can.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Start slow for only 30 min to 1 hour stretches, and build it up over a couple weeks.

Tell her she has to wear them to watch tv, and if she isn't wearing them the tv gets turned off. She will probably forget she has them on, and might wear them after.

Make them the coolest thing in the world. I mean they're obviously the coolest color anyone could ever want. And you know who else wears glasses? [Insert beloved family member with glasses here]!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Emily Spinach posted:

If anyone has any tips for getting a two year old to wear her glasses I'm all ears.

Sons' script is super strong (+9) so he put them on right away, very short time to get used to it. Daughter's is like +3, so she's not as connected to them, but she's been doing well at wearing them at daycare, but will not wear them at home. Just keep trying a little bit at a time and be consistent about when.