Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So it doesn't work on its own at all then. Cool.

Nah, it does work on its own. Just best to know the story is a trilogy.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nothing can top the Agarest War limited edition for the 360:
http://www.amazon.com/Record-Agarest-Limited-Edition-360-Xbox/dp/B00354NBF4

Just let those physical goods register in your mind.

Those mousepads are the saddest of the sad and judging by the amount of stock they carry, I think JList makes a killing selling them.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought Vandal Hearts had random battles, and that it was Vagrant Story that didn't?

no random battles in vandal hearts. there are like 6 extra battles or something, but they\re really hard to find without a guide.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought Vandal Hearts had random battles, and that it was Vagrant Story that didn't?

Nope and Vagrant Story isn't an SRPG are you confusing it with Vanguard Bandits maybe? (lots of V words) That doesn't have random battles either though. :v:

Attitude Indicator posted:

no random battles in vandal hearts. there are like 6 extra battles or something, but they\re really hard to find without a guide.

Yeah, you need like 6 keys from certain maps and doing the six extra stages (which are pretty loving hard) unlocks the final overpowered class for the main character, though you only get to use it for like four or five stages by the time you get it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Vagrant Story had resetting enemies, but there was no EXP in the traditional sense. Instead, everything was hidden behind affinities and poo poo, a major mechanic that was a footnote in the manual and the prompts for gaining or losing affinities are turned off by default :downs:

Like, overall it wasn't a bad game, but it's a major contender for having one of the worst interfaces of all time.

Attitude Indicator posted:

And they can also get really hard to beat without a guide, too. Some of those missions were complete bullshit. Still, you could work around not being able to grind in the traditional sense by abusing the "heal tiles also restore MP" trick on the casters to be able to cast heal magic infinite times in a battle, and then gaining 99/100EXP by having a lower-level character use an item on someone you've grinded to 49.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
speaking of gel breasts, Im playing LR and I find myself using lightning's watery chorus garb for the majority of the game and as the default field garb for two reasons:

1. Perversion
2. The story is much more enjoyable when lightning is delivering her somber lines about being gods saviour and saving souls while dressed as an asian prostitute.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope and Vagrant Story isn't an SRPG are you confusing it with Vanguard Bandits maybe? (lots of V words) That doesn't have random battles either though. :v:

Maybe it was the Xbox live version I played or something? I'm certain it had random battles but it might've been a different game entirely and I only played a little bit. Or I'm just mis-remembering a game I played 4-5 years ago. :shrug:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

speaking of gel breasts, Im playing LR and I find myself using lightning's watery chorus garb for the majority of the game and as the default field garb for two reasons:

1. Perversion
2. The story is much more enjoyable when lightning is delivering her somber lines about being gods saviour and saving souls while dressed as an asian prostitute.

Dude I'm pretty sure you would love FF X-2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe it was the Xbox live version I played or something? I'm certain it had random battles but it might've been a different game entirely and I only played a little bit. Or I'm just mis-remembering a game I played 4-5 years ago. :shrug:

That is literally a completely different game. The original was a PS1 only game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah, they had a terrible western developed Vandal Hearts that came out on Xbox Live about that time. I had completely forgotten about it until this post. EDIT: No idea if it had random battles or literally anything about it.

I typed up that loving name wrong three times trying to make this post.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Looper posted:

the hd remaster is 22 gb on psn. gently caress that noise

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Looper posted:

do not insult ff10-2, the best game in the series

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

alcharagia posted:

do not insult ff10-2, the best game in the series

It really is good. I didn't realize it until my second play through. I gave up the first time because it is so cheesy. I loved it every time after that though. Knowing what to expect helps.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Having fun with games does tend to help one enjoy them, yes

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Playing VII at the moment with a team consisting of Cloud, Yuffie and Red XIII, just at the point where we have to go nab a submarine?

I stopped playing for two weeks and forgot where I had to do, does anyone find as they get older this happens more often with RPGs? Don't know why but now that the concept of SOLDIER thing has been figured out, the story got a little bit dry for my tastes. Yet again my first FF was VIII, maybe I like melodrama with my silly haired teens haha.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Playing VII at the moment with a team consisting of Cloud, Yuffie and Red XIII, just at the point where we have to go nab a submarine?

I stopped playing for two weeks and forgot where I had to do, does anyone find as they get older this happens more often with RPGs? Don't know why but now that the concept of SOLDIER thing has been figured out, the story got a little bit dry for my tastes. Yet again my first FF was VIII, maybe I like melodrama with my silly haired teens haha.

You need to go to Junon and head for the Underwater Mako Reactor; the boss there is notoriously a giant douche, since he hits pretty hard and will pick up your characters, temporarily removing them from the fight. I think you might also run the risk of hitting them with target-all attacks (since the arms count as different targets?) but I might be misremembering. Once you have get on the sub, you play a silly minigame, pick up the Key to the Ancients from an underwater alcove, then forget you have a sub.

And I mean, I would have to put a game down for years to forget what I was last doing, but I also have problems in my brain that make me latch onto inconsequential details about things rather than keeping anything important. I picked up Persona 3 again last week after not playing it for almost a year and immediately knew exactly what I was doing last and where I needed to go.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

CeallaSo posted:

You need to go to Junon and head for the Underwater Mako Reactor; the boss there is notoriously a giant douche, since he hits pretty hard and will pick up your characters, temporarily removing them from the fight. I think you might also run the risk of hitting them with target-all attacks (since the arms count as different targets?) but I might be misremembering. Once you have get on the sub, you play a silly minigame, pick up the Key to the Ancients from an underwater alcove, then forget you have a sub.

And I mean, I would have to put a game down for years to forget what I was last doing, but I also have problems in my brain that make me latch onto inconsequential details about things rather than keeping anything important. I picked up Persona 3 again last week after not playing it for almost a year and immediately knew exactly what I was doing last and where I needed to go.

Thanks man! I've got a lot of the enemy skills, so it should be a bit easy, ultimate weapon was easy as long as I kept a level head and peeps healed. Any other tips for this part of the game? I feel like I'm nearing the end ish.

I think I'm not really taking the story in, I remember what I did but not specifically what to do next. I dunno VII isn't grabbing my attention as much VIII, IX and XII (still need to finish X). Shame there isn't a character who says "on to [junon] to get the [submarine]" in so many words or if there is I couldn't find him!

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Thanks man! I've got a lot of the enemy skills, so it should be a bit easy, ultimate weapon was easy as long as I kept a level head and peeps healed. Any other tips for this part of the game? I feel like I'm nearing the end ish.

I think I'm not really taking the story in, I remember what I did but not specifically what to do next. I dunno VII isn't grabbing my attention as much VIII, IX and XII (still need to finish X). Shame there isn't a character who says "on to [junon] to get the [submarine]" in so many words or if there is I couldn't find him!

Generally you can pick up that kind of information on the airship; either the other playable characters or the crew will mention something about the next objective, although at the point of the game you're at it'll mostly be "let's get the next Huge Materia!" without specifying where that would be. Of course, I believe the one you got was the second-to-last one, which would make your next destination Rocket Town; I think something should happen once you finish up with the sub that makes that a really obvious next destination. VII's biggest problem in that regard (and it was something that plagued a lot of RPGs of the era) is that the story will mention one time where you need to head next, then never again. Which is great if you're playing straight through, but not so much if you happen to put it down for a while on account of real life. As far as advice goes... well, as long as you've been keeping your party adequately leveled, you shouldn't really run into any problems; after you beat this next boss, there won't be another one for several hours. Unless you haven't done the second half of Yuffie's Wutai sidequest (the Pagoda) yet, in which case there are a few laughably easy bosses for her to fight solo. The only other thing I can say is that the code for the last Huge Materia is Cirlce-Square-X-X, and I only tell you because the game does a terrible job of communicating what it wants you to do in that section.

I can understand your waning interest, though; you've hit the point in VII that occurs in every Final Fantasy, where the plot kind of just falls apart right before the end. Some games are affected more than others by this, and VII gets hit particularly hard, but all of them have it to some degree.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

Generally you can pick up that kind of information on the airship; either the other playable characters or the crew will mention something about the next objective, although at the point of the game you're at it'll mostly be "let's get the next Huge Materia!" without specifying where that would be. Of course, I believe the one you got was the second-to-last one, which would make your next destination Rocket Town; I think something should happen once you finish up with the sub that makes that a really obvious next destination. VII's biggest problem in that regard (and it was something that plagued a lot of RPGs of the era) is that the story will mention one time where you need to head next, then never again. Which is great if you're playing straight through, but not so much if you happen to put it down for a while on account of real life. As far as advice goes... well, as long as you've been keeping your party adequately leveled, you shouldn't really run into any problems; after you beat this next boss, there won't be another one for several hours. Unless you haven't done the second half of Yuffie's Wutai sidequest (the Pagoda) yet, in which case there are a few laughably easy bosses for her to fight solo. The only other thing I can say is that the code for the last Huge Materia is Cirlce-Square-X-X, and I only tell you because the game does a terrible job of communicating what it wants you to do in that section.

I can understand your waning interest, though; you've hit the point in VII that occurs in every Final Fantasy, where the plot kind of just falls apart right before the end. Some games are affected more than others by this, and VII gets hit particularly hard, but all of them have it to some degree.

If I remember correctly I've got both the huge materia, the one from fort condor where you do the mini game again and get Phoenix and the one from the reactor near Barrett's little home town thing, where you freak out on the train with Cid.

Yuffie hits an average 1000 and is currently on lv 50, should be enough to take wutai?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Facepalm Ranger posted:

If I remember correctly I've got both the huge materia, the one from fort condor where you do the mini game again and get Phoenix and the one from the reactor near Barrett's little home town thing, where you freak out on the train with Cid.

Yuffie hits an average 1000 and is currently on lv 50, should be enough to take wutai?

You can do Wutai way, way earlier, so yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally a completely different game. The original was a PS1 only game.

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, they had a terrible western developed Vandal Hearts that came out on Xbox Live about that time. I had completely forgotten about it until this post. EDIT: No idea if it had random battles or literally anything about it.

I typed up that loving name wrong three times trying to make this post.

Alright fair enough. I guess it's good I didn't play beyond the demo then. It didn't seem all that special at the time but if it's a completely different game that'd explain why it wasn't living up to the hype.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Anyone know if anyone ever made any mods for the PC versions of FF3/FF4? I was hoping some would come out to make FF3 more tolerable.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mega64 posted:

Anyone know if anyone ever made any mods for the PC versions of FF3/FF4? I was hoping some would come out to make FF3 more tolerable.

Also are there any, aside from just the screen res stuff, for XIII? Do those have any scope for modding? I mean, the guys over at Qhimm spent years picking 7 apart so I won't rule their abilities out, but I wouldn't mind a balance mod or difficulty upper or something, now that I've 5-starred every mission, I honestly want more 13 but there's not really anything left to do.

PS: Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 are my favorite SRPGs ever, blood geysers for the blood geyser god :metal101: Front Mission 3 also pro play.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Anyone can help me out here, I picked up VII, got to Junon. Walking along the "Main Street" in upper Junon I got a cut scene of Cloud saying "we're missing something"and then returned to normal, as far as I know, I've done everything up to this point and the airship crew keep saying "duuuh let's move on to Junon "

If I didn't have such a long period between sessions I'd probably remember what that something is. :smith:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 16, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Halfway through upper Junon is this kinda military tunnel thing where you can either go out the other side to more civilian area, or head left down the tunnel.

Head left down the tunnel and keep going.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Anyone can help me out here, I picked up VII, got to Junon. Walking along the "Main Street" in upper Junon I got a cut scene of Cloud saying "we're missing something"and then returned to normal, as far as I know, I've done everything up to this point and the airship crew keep saying "duuuh let's move on to Junon "

If I didn't have such a long period between sessions I'd probably remember what that something is. :smith:

Don't worry about that comment. Cloud is noticing that something is conspicuously absent from Junon, but it doesn't affect your mission. The giant cannon from the town has been relocated elsewhere.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Vil posted:

Halfway through upper Junon is this kinda military tunnel thing where you can either go out the other side to more civilian area, or head left down the tunnel.

Head left down the tunnel and keep going.

Schwartzcough posted:

Don't worry about that comment. Cloud is noticing that something is conspicuously absent from Junon, but it doesn't affect your mission. The giant cannon from the town has been relocated elsewhere.

Thanks guys, after not playing for a while I'm just waiting for the game to throw me a curve ball to dick me over. Alright, time to blast this poo poo to the end!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Crushing Shinra's puny body in 9/20 turns is pretty satisfying

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Alright, so I just finished XIII-2, what DLCs are necessary to the overall story? I have Requiem for the Goddess and really just want something to kill a day until Dragon Age tomorrow.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The Gilgamesh one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Get the N7 and swimsuit DLC and you're all set

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TARDISman posted:

Alright, so I just finished XIII-2, what DLCs are necessary to the overall story? I have Requiem for the Goddess and really just want something to kill a day until Dragon Age tomorrow.

Sazh and Lightning's DLC, the rest are just arena fights and costumes.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Gologle posted:

The Gilgamesh one.

This and Ultros.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Artix posted:

Sazh DLC

Oh holy poo poo, how did I forget about Chronobind. gently caress everything else, BUY THIS.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Krad posted:

This and Ultros.

Oh I bought Ultros when it came out. I hadn't even finished XIII at that point but I had to buy it because Ultros is my dawg.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Artix posted:

Sazh and Lightning's DLC, the rest are just arena fights and costumes.

So am I understanding this right, and people can pay to have the ability to fight more people/bosses in the coliseum? Because maybe I am not the kind of person this DLC is geared towards, but :psyduck:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

This this day the lack of a 'Fight Sephiroth' DLC has convinced me that S-E hates money.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

This this day the lack of a 'Fight Sephiroth' DLC has convinced me that S-E hates money.

Isn't Gilgamesh sort of that kind of a role now? People seem to get mad hyped about Gilgamesh, but no one seems to care that Sephiroth has been relegated to Kingdom Hearts.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

So am I understanding this right, and people can pay to have the ability to fight more people/bosses in the coliseum? Because maybe I am not the kind of person this DLC is geared towards, but :psyduck:

why is the concept of dlc superbosses blowing your mind?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

why is the concept of dlc superbosses blowing your mind?

It may be because the only DLC I have ever looked at and purchased was from The Last of Us. I figured DLC in general was all mostly just cosmetic poo poo and new modes/mini-stories--not just straight up arena fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

morallyobjected posted:

Isn't Gilgamesh sort of that kind of a role now? People seem to get mad hyped about Gilgamesh, but no one seems to care that Sephiroth has been relegated to Kingdom Hearts.

First I've heard about people giving a poo poo about Gilgamesh. Isn't 90% of the Final Fantasy playerbase just aging gamers trying to re-capture the wonder of playing Final Fantasy 7 when it first came out? Or if you're slightly older, FF6?