Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
It's been ages since I've posted in the Trek thread but I have to pop in and say that one of my friends helped make today March 26th officially "Live Long & Prosper Day" in honor of Leonard Nimoy's birthday officially recognized for the first time this year by "Chase's Calendar of Events". https://www.llapday.com

He also made some adorable graphics for it:

Anyway, I hope you all have been living long and prospering.

Apple Jax fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Timby posted:

John Logan must be the nicest guy on the loving planet or something, because it seems as though no one ever has a bad word to say about him, and he continues to fail upward into more and more high-profile jobs, despite the vast majority of his output sucking out loud.

I mean, in Nemesis, we have:

- A starship battle inside a nebula (Wrath of Khan)
- A starship battle against an invisible ship (Undiscovered Country)
- The enemy ship has a ticking time bomb that will destroy the Enterprise (Wrath of Khan)
- The ship's science officer sacrifices himself to save the Enterprise from the ticking time bomb (Wrath of Khan)
- Before the battle, Picard tours the ship while delivering a dour monologue (Best of Both Worlds)
- A blatant rip from Excalibur when Shinzon dies
- Some of the worst dialogue in history ("You'll see the echo triumph over the voice," or the entirety of that wedding scene :fuckoff:)

And somehow Logan skates away scot-free.

Logan came to Nemesis right off of the success of Gladiator, which imo is a movie that succeeds despite rather than because of its writing (incidentally its script situation was sort of like that of Nemesis, Crowe meddled incessantly with it and probably wound up shaping the final product even more than Spiner did Nemesis), but which in the early 2000s was generally getting praised to high heaven in every way. Regardless of how it actually turned out, getting Logan must have seemed like a substantially better idea at the time than getting Baird to direct.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Apple Jax posted:

Actually, I died as a child and have been destitute since. Sorry.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Logan came to Nemesis right off of the success of Gladiator, which imo is a movie that succeeds despite rather than because of its writing (incidentally its script situation was sort of like that of Nemesis, Crowe meddled incessantly with it and probably wound up shaping the final product even more than Spiner did Nemesis), but which in the early 2000s was generally getting praised to high heaven in every way. Regardless of how it actually turned out, getting Logan must have seemed like a substantially better idea at the time than getting Baird to direct.

Well, Logan's draft on Gladiator was so terrible that it was almost completely thrown out and rewritten by William Nicholson (who stayed on set to continue rewriting), but he retained a credit because enough of Commodus' dialogue was in the finished product. Just another example of him failing upward.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

John Logan must be the nicest guy on the loving planet or something, because it seems as though no one ever has a bad word to say about him, and he continues to fail upward into more and more high-profile jobs, despite the vast majority of his output sucking out loud.

I mean, in Nemesis, we have:

- A starship battle inside a nebula (Wrath of Khan)
- A starship battle against an invisible ship (Undiscovered Country)
- The enemy ship has a ticking time bomb that will destroy the Enterprise (Wrath of Khan)
- The ship's science officer sacrifices himself to save the Enterprise from the ticking time bomb (Wrath of Khan)
- Before the battle, Picard tours the ship while delivering a dour monologue (Best of Both Worlds)
- A blatant rip from Excalibur when Shinzon dies
- Some of the worst dialogue in history ("You'll see the echo triumph over the voice," or the entirety of that wedding scene :fuckoff:)

And somehow Logan skates away scot-free.
You forgot the telepathic mind rape which was also taken from at least one TNG episode

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Well, Logan's draft on Gladiator was so terrible that it was almost completely thrown out and rewritten by William Nicholson (who stayed on set to continue rewriting), but he retained a credit because enough of Commodus' dialogue was in the finished product. Just another example of him failing upward.

Even for all that, Russell Crowe is also said to have rewritten a huge amount of his dialogue.

Anyway, I like Nemesis better than Into Darkness (the other Khan remake, that also manages to be less subtle and about 9/11 truthing), and I say that without doubt or regret. But Nemesis is terrible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think Into Darkness gets more hate than it deserves. Not to say that it’s a good film, but Nemesis has no real redeeming qualities.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My wife and I are about halfway through TNG season 1, which I thought might never happen because she had a bad experience attempting to watch Farpoint once. After watching all of TOS, she actually thought Farpoint wasn't bad this time around, because I guess she could see what they were going for with a new spin on the "godlike being" concept and all that. (Plus maybe a little bit of TOS season 3 fatigue.) I've never really seen season 1 at all aside from Farpoint, so this is an interesting experience for me too.

So far, I'd say it's... not nearly as bad as I expected. It's obviously really cheesy in some ways, and still has a little too much of the classic Roddenberry plot devices, plus his overall weirdness about :females: But I'm really appreciating some of the deliberate efforts to address stuff that didn't make sense in TOS, such as how the captain isn't on every away mission and there's another guy for that. (Shame they forgot this in the movies and every other series, except DS9 obviously.) And it's really fun watching them giddily establish and explain some of the new technological advances like the holodeck. There's a real sense of excitement and new possibilities which is just so charming.

One weird thing is the propensity for B-plots that go nowhere. I know that was partially the norm for episodic TV in the '90s, but some of them really go nowhere. The latest episode was "Angel One", which I guess has a whole host of other issues... But I was mostly bugged by how they had this subplot of the Enterprise crew getting the Space Flu, and Dr. Crusher basically spent some time researching it, found a cure, and... that's it. No surprise twist about its origin or its cure, no connection to the main plot, just a doctor doing her job.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
To be fair the cure they originally wanted to use wasn’t working because the virus has mutated. The “twist” was that they had to go back to the lab for a few more hours.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dont even fink about it posted:

Even for all that, Russell Crowe is also said to have rewritten a huge amount of his dialogue.

Anyway, I like Nemesis better than Into Darkness (the other Khan remake, that also manages to be less subtle and about 9/11 truthing), and I say that without doubt or regret. But Nemesis is terrible.

I've said it before, but the actual degree to which Into Darkness rehashes Wrath of Khan is greatly overblown.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Windows 98 posted:

The “twist” was that they had to go back to the lab for a few more hours.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sir Lemming posted:

My wife and I are about halfway through TNG season 1, which I thought might never happen because she had a bad experience attempting to watch Farpoint once. After watching all of TOS, she actually thought Farpoint wasn't bad this time around, because I guess she could see what they were going for with a new spin on the "godlike being" concept and all that. (Plus maybe a little bit of TOS season 3 fatigue.) I've never really seen season 1 at all aside from Farpoint, so this is an interesting experience for me too.

So far, I'd say it's... not nearly as bad as I expected. It's obviously really cheesy in some ways, and still has a little too much of the classic Roddenberry plot devices, plus his overall weirdness about :females: But I'm really appreciating some of the deliberate efforts to address stuff that didn't make sense in TOS, such as how the captain isn't on every away mission and there's another guy for that. (Shame they forgot this in the movies and every other series, except DS9 obviously.) And it's really fun watching them giddily establish and explain some of the new technological advances like the holodeck. There's a real sense of excitement and new possibilities which is just so charming.

One weird thing is the propensity for B-plots that go nowhere. I know that was partially the norm for episodic TV in the '90s, but some of them really go nowhere. The latest episode was "Angel One", which I guess has a whole host of other issues... But I was mostly bugged by how they had this subplot of the Enterprise crew getting the Space Flu, and Dr. Crusher basically spent some time researching it, found a cure, and... that's it. No surprise twist about its origin or its cure, no connection to the main plot, just a doctor doing her job.

They hadn’t really figured out how to handle B plotting in a Trek episode yet, TOS only intermittently did that kind of thing, as opposed to Berman-era Trek where it became a matter of course even for episodes that would have been better off without it. Also many episodes were probably written by typewriter monkeys being micromanaged by Roddenberry’s insane attorney or whatever. I don’t really like it as a season of tv, but imo a lot of season 1 isn’t so much bad as very (necessarily) experimental and therefore really weird when compared to later TNG. At times it feels closer to the stuff it is following on from (TOS and movies, and TAS) than to the stuff that would follow on from it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

What’s the story behind his script for The Aviator? I love that film, but it still boggles my mind that the man responsible for Nemesis wrote it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What’s the story behind his script for The Aviator? I love that film, but it still boggles my mind that the man responsible for Nemesis wrote it.

He was rewritten, top-to-bottom, by an uncredited Michael Mann (just as he was rewritten by Zwick on The Last Samurai). Everyone did their best to keep it a secret, but it was accidentally blurted out by a drunken DiCaprio at a post-awards party.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

He was rewritten, top-to-bottom, by an uncredited Michael Mann (just as he was rewritten by Zwick on The Last Samurai). Everyone did their best to keep it a secret, but it was accidentally blurted out by a drunken DiCaprio at a post-awards party.

Hey man if they buy your script at least you're still an idea man.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

If I remember right, the space flu interacted with the main plot by providing a convenient plot reason why they couldn't just beam up the away team and the meninist rebels, so they had to stay and resolve it all with a speech.

E: The episode I always think of with the who-cares B-plot was the one where Picard gets possessed by that cloud and beams himself into a nebula, oh and also they're ferrying some ambassadors who can't stop killing and eating each other.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 26, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

This makes much more sense

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dont even fink about it posted:

Hey man if they buy your script at least you're still an idea man.

Yeah, Logan's so much of an idea man that Ridley Scott had to pay off the writers and producers of The Battle Over Citizen Kane and give them a "based on" credit for RKO 281 shortly before release, because Logan lifted the documentary pretty much wholesale and they were going to sue the poo poo out of the production.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Yeah, Logan's so much of an idea man that Ridley Scott had to pay off the writers and producers of The Battle Over Citizen Kane and give them a "based on" credit for RKO 281 shortly before release, because Logan lifted the documentary pretty much wholesale and they were going to sue the poo poo out of the production.

At least... At least... He's getting paid?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

VitalSigns posted:

If I remember right, the space flu interacted with the main plot by providing a convenient plot reason why they couldn't just beam up the away team and the meninist rebels, so they had to stay and resolve it all with a speech.

E: The episode I always think of with the who-cares B-plot was the one where Picard gets possessed by that cloud and beams himself into a nebula, oh and also they're ferrying some ambassadors who can't stop killing and eating each other.

Well I should've said it barely interacted with the main plot, but yeah. But they already didn't want to beam everyone away for Prime Directive reasons, so it still seemed pointless. Even at the most urgent point of the plot, they were still only discussing beaming away as a backup option they might possibly need to take.

Thanks for mentioning that nebula/diplomat episode though, that was definitely another one where I was surprised that the plots didn't connect, but I couldn't remember it. I think what made these episodes weird is that both plots felt, potentially, equally important (even though they spent less time on one) and affected a few of the same people. Rather than being a side story to break things up and give the supporting characters something to do.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The diplomat/nebula one is Marc Alaimo's first Star Trek appearance, as this lovely fellow:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cheetah7071 posted:

The diplomat/nebula one is Marc Alaimo's first Star Trek appearance, as this lovely fellow:

Mr. Woof reporting for duty.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VitalSigns posted:

People seem to hate the way Picard seems to shrug off an ambassador killing and eating another ambassador on the ship, but I really like it. There's a scene in Mad Men which I find similar and amusing: a guy just got his foot mangled by a riding lawnmower (in a Manhattan office building!), one of the sales guys says "I take full responsiblity", to which one of the owners waves it off and says "pfft, whatever, somewhere in this industry, this has happened before."

I like to think Picard's thinking "well, I'm not recovering from an attempted assassination, my first officer isn't undergoing highly experimental medication so he can save his dad's life, and we're not being strafed by an overgunned Orion hotrod... yeah, I'm still having a better day than Kirk was, we're good!"

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Quark having a meltdown over Zek’s revisions to the rules of acquisition is amazing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Windows 98 posted:

Quark having a meltdown over Zek’s revisions to the rules of acquisition is amazing

Quark owns

Zek owns

Ferengi episodes own

They own enough to still own, even with that one in the mix

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Gentlemen, if the forums die: it's been an honor.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If the forums die, watch DS9

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why are the forums dying?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Lowtax needs spinal regeneration surgery, but because everyone talked themselves into not building the Federation he has to pay like a million dollars for it. Buy plat or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MikeJF posted:

Reddit is free, no one buys platinum anymore, SA has always been on the verge of going broke

Just ban everyone in CD, D&D, FYAD, and ADTRW and watch the :10bux: flow in

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MikeJF posted:

The forums haven't made any money in half a decade, Lowtax needs major back surgery and has the peakest of peak America health "insurance", and SA has already been running on fumes borrowed from his retirement accounts for years.

There is a solution to the cash flow problem, though:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just ban everyone in CD, D&D, FYAD, and ADTRW and watch the :10bux: flow in

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Build the spine and make FYAD pay for it

seriously though that is really terrible :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nessus posted:

Lowtax needs spinal regeneration surgery, but because everyone talked themselves into not building the Federation he has to pay like a million dollars for it. Buy plat or something.

Lost a fight with a crate. :smith:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Lowtax calls his daughter to his bedside and asks her to ritually stab him

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lowtax takes a sip of mangosteen juice and his face lights up.

"A warrior's drink!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Do the needful and take all that money you're making from your "Watch DS9 and post about it" Patreon and save SA!

Wait *checks post history*

Oh... :smith:

Apple Jax posted:

It's been ages since I've posted in the Trek thread but I have to pop in and say that one of my friends helped make today March 26th officially "Live Long & Prosper Day" in honor of Leonard Nimoy's birthday officially recognized for the first time this year by "Chase's Calendar of Events". https://www.llapday.com

He also made some adorable graphics for it:

And I missed this at the top of the page but it is cool and good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kibayasu posted:

Do the needful and take all that money you're making from your "Watch DS9 and post about it" Patreon and save SA!

Wait *checks post history*

Oh... :smith:

Hahaha

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lowtax gets dunked on by the baddie of the week Uwe Boll, to show how strong he is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If the forums were going to be saved, a Lowtax from the future would already have come back to reassure us :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hope the forums live because I don't want to talk about Things with Thing People, they're just the worst

Also I hope lowtax lives too :unsmith: