Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
Best idea to pinpoint whether it's the key or the lock would be just to test with the other key first. If they're both doing it, try WD40 or graphite powder to free up the action.

Otherwise cut another from the spare (and code it if your bike needs that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Any Swiss goons on here? I'm relocating to Switzerland from the USA :911: in a few months. The relocation company told me that I can ship and register my bike, a 2014 Yamaha FZ1, with minimal fuss. Considering that everything seems crazy expensive over there, it seems to be a "good" idea versus selling it and buying a new one. One of my worries is how to do maintenance on it. I'm used to having my own garage. I'll likely be living in a flat with a shared auto garage. Am I going to be ticketed/sneered at for changing my oil there? Am I going to get nasty notes about the mess from cleaning and lubricating my chain?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Depends on the garage owner. Check if they have any rules against doing maintenance in the garage. If not, just be courteous and put a sheet of cardboard underneath and clean up any spill with kitty litter.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Has anyone here dealt with Honda Parts Direct before? I placed an order a week and a half ago, and my card was charged, but I haven't received any updates yet. Double-checked my order details and I missed a double consonant in my street name. :downs:

They're not responding to calls or e-mails yet. If they're legit and just slow, that doesn't bother me.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Slavvy posted:

My bet would be a faulty barrel/ignition switch losing the run position from vibration.

That seems likely although I can't reproduce it by wiggling the key around. Maybe a fluke of some sort.

Andy yeah, I checked the battery terminals too. All good.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

makka-setan posted:

That seems likely although I can't reproduce it by wiggling the key around. Maybe a fluke of some sort.

Andy yeah, I checked the battery terminals too. All good.

I had a battery with a bad cell that did something similar. It read 12.5 volts but when I hit the starter everything died as if a fuse blew. Have you tested the battery?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Crayvex posted:

I had a battery with a bad cell that did something similar. It read 12.5 volts but when I hit the starter everything died as if a fuse blew. Have you tested the battery?

No, it starts just fine and the starter motor cranks like a locomotive so there is plenty of juice at least.

But I can run a quick check with MY MULTIMETER :toot:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

makka-setan posted:

No, it starts just fine and the starter motor cranks like a locomotive so there is plenty of juice at least.

But I can run a quick check with MY MULTIMETER :toot:

I would still recommend having the battery properly tested. My battery would only fail under load.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Crayvex posted:

I would still recommend having the battery properly tested. My battery would only fail under load.

It's easy enough to do this at home, just clip your leads to the battery and hit the starter switch. Your manual might have a range for such a test but as I recall you really don't want to see much under 10v.

Here's a link https://youtu.be/tsJUuLu1cw0

You don't have to have min-max but it does help to ensure you're not relying on luck to find the true low reading.

Your issue almost sounds like you had a short that tripped a circuit breaker which reset in the time it took you to pull over and cycle the ignition. I don't know if the MT-07 (or any bike for that matter) has such a thing. If there is a short oh boy good luck because you're gonna have to inspect every inch of harness and all your connectors. Intermittent shorts suuuck.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 14, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
hey guys, question, my newish riding buddy hosed up. we couldn't figure out why she was fishtailing until i found out she was dropping 2 gears in my old xg750 to pass at 90mph... clearly she redlined it for several seconds twice, how bad is this?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
tell her if she wants to pass she has to drop 3 gears

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If it's not making any terrible noises it's probably alright.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sorry to interrupt, but I'm about to take a long trip tomorrow, and it looks like rain through at least 100 miles. I don't have rain gear.

Should I take the car?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Sorry to interrupt, but I'm about to take a long trip tomorrow, and it looks like rain through at least 100 miles. I don't have rain gear.

Should I take the car?
Do you mind being soaked? If no, can you fit your wallet and phone into a zip-loc? If yes, go hog wild.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Rain on an interstate highway for a novice rider is ok?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

(I don't mean to short sell myself, I think I'm decent, but I also recognize I've only been doing this for... 2... 3 months?

And you guys still yell at year newbies, so...)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
there's only 1 way to figure out what it's like to ride in the rain

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Ok, but which one of you wants to hold the waterhose?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
first few minutes after the rain start will be a little more slick. imo unless you're on knobbies/nonabs supersport its not a huge deal.

otherwise, put your water sensitive items in a ziplockbag and rockon.

in freezing rear end rain I have worn a wetsuit as a baselayer before.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
As long as you are ok with changing into dry clothes after you stop. I think the worst thing for me about getting caught in the rain without rain gear is a soggy bottom.

VVV roads tend to be crested towards the center so rain washes off to the side.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 14, 2016

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah, just be gentle with inputs and stay away from paint if you can. I also tend to hang in the tracks of a car in front of me, but I've no idea if it makes a difference. I see to remember learning that in the MSF but that was over 5 years ago.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Should I take the car?

You will freeze your rear end off once you are soaked through, then your concentration and reaction time will suffer. Just get some cheap rain coveralls from a sports shop or supermarket a size or two above your regular size so it fits above your gear. Doesn't have to be bike specific. See if you can get some glove covers in a bike shop too, or scotch guard your regular gloves. Riding in the wet is fine, riding 100 miles while wet sucks hard.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Riding in the rain isn't that hard, but if you've never done it before, it might be better to take the car. Go out on a rainy day when you don't have any where to be and can take your time.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Your body being wet and cold is a lot more dangerous than the road being wet and cold.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Bananana posted:

Ok, but which one of you wants to hold the waterhose?

Nice

Seriously, don't do it until you have some frog toggs. Riding in the rain as a newbie is no big deal, as long as you leave extra room and are smooth, but you will freeze once soaked and make mistakes and be unhappy. Getting caught in a downpour, in mesh summer gear, in the middle of summer, I was shocked at how hypothermic I felt almost immediately.

With proper gear, though, it's a real hoot!

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Coydog posted:

Nice

Seriously, don't do it until you have some frog toggs. Riding in the rain as a newbie is no big deal, as long as you leave extra room and are smooth, but you will freeze once soaked and make mistakes and be unhappy. Getting caught in a downpour, in mesh summer gear, in the middle of summer, I was shocked at how hypothermic I felt almost immediately.

With proper gear, though, it's a real hoot!

second this. you're also having things complicated by everyone having reduced visibility and increased stress. pro tip: turn your head to the side at highway speeds to have the wind remove water, don't use your gloves like a pleb. you can get a rain suit at cyclegear for $30, it's a piece of poo poo but it performs excellently to keep you warm and dry.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Dear Motogoons: Please help.
So I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my bike.
83 Suzuki GR-650
Parallel Twin/Dual Carb.

Had a faulty ignition switch that I wound up hotwiring to get home. Fried the battery doing so but managed to get it home.

Since then haven't been able to ride it, replaced the battery & it holds a charge just fine, but the bike stalls out at idle after a couple of minutes.
Even full on the throttle I can't get it to rev over 3-4K (7K Red Line).
As far as I can tell (have tested) I'm not losing voltage anywhere.

Regulator/Rectifier gets hot with the ignition on
Carbs were recently replaced.

It sounds like an air/fuel mix issue when it sputters out but the voltage regulator heating up as hot as it does has me certain that it has to be something electrical. Any tips/things I should look out for on older carbed japanese bikes?

Carbs that went on the bike were basically factory new.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Had a faulty ignition switch that I wound up hotwiring to get home. Fried the battery doing so but managed to get it home.

This is where you should start. What did you do? Why did it fry the battery?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

ska, could it be your spark plugs are hosed? this is more of a hunch but it's easy to check your clearance (and resistance if you got it)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just discovered that the bolts holding on my belly pan are 4mm longer than spec, and as such impact the exhaust tubes when tightened down. PO! :argh:

I don't think they've made a hole, or even that much of a dent, but there might be quite a scratch down there. What I want to know is how likely it might be to develop into a hole, and whether there's anything preventative I could do.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

So far, so good

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Phew! This distance riding is wearing me out! Lol

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
First day is the hardest.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Are those Volar pads any good at all? $9.20 for a (single rotor) front set just seems too low, but it's not like China can't crank out a miracle every now and then. My levers were $17, after all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

83 Suzuki GR-650

There's your problem.

seriously though... did you gently caress up an ignition coil or ignition points? (this thing has points doesn't it?)
Check for spark at your plugs.
Pull them all out of the head. One at a time, leave them dangling from the ignition wires, grounded against the engine.
Hit the starter and spin the motor, see if that plug sparks.
Repeat with next plug.

Also check your petcock. Make sure your carbs are actually getting fuel.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 15, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

N is for Nipples posted:

Are those Volar pads any good at all? $9.20 for a (single rotor) front set just seems too low, but it's not like China can't crank out a miracle every now and then. My levers were $17, after all.

Looking at carbon-kevlar? I've used kevlar cheapies on my Ulysses before and yeah they'll work fine for easy use on the street. Expect them to not last as long, but they are usually easier on your rotor. Takes less to heat em up, but also less to overheat.

If you are typically hard on your brakes or ride at the track, they won't be a good choice.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Just discovered that the bolts holding on my belly pan are 4mm longer than spec, and as such impact the exhaust tubes when tightened down. PO! :argh:

I don't think they've made a hole, or even that much of a dent, but there might be quite a scratch down there. What I want to know is how likely it might be to develop into a hole, and whether there's anything preventative I could do.

You can make one of those hipster angle grinder videos for us grinding the bolts down.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I had the same thing with the bolts the PO used to fasten the engine guard on the front of the engine. If you went over a big bump the bolts rubbed on the front fender..

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is there a way to trickle 2 batteries on one battery tender, or do I need to buy another set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Is there a way to trickle 2 batteries on one battery tender, or do I need to buy another set?

Hook them up in parallel using a pair of jumper leads.