Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Not far away from CME and worth checking out too is RockNRoll Vintage on Damen. They're a smaller shop but they've got a really impressive pedal selection and a repair guy I like.

I love having both those stores nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ll check those out too. Not super familiar with the brand.

Oh neat I didn’t know that! I’ll compare it with the mini and the JP and go from there.

e: dang the 535Q might be exactly what I want
"Huh I've got a wah pedal that I got for free years ago and used maybe once, wonder what it is..."

yep it's a 535Q. should probably try that out one of these days!

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

The Science Goy posted:

I'm going to Chicago Music Exchange before our show next Saturday... I think I need to leave my credit card at home or I'll be coming home with another pedal...

I want to build a Rat clone with a blend for bass, but some of those other pedals might be interesting to try as well.

I believe the Idiotbox Blower Box is based on a Rat. I like that pedal a lot, though it takes a lot of tweaking to get a good sound for bass.

I never thought it would happen, but the EQD Westwood has kicked the Barbershop out of my pedal rotation. The Westwood does everything the Barbershop does, except better, and has a ton of other sounds too.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Do you guys have a go-to chorus pedal? I'm a big fan of the TAL-Chorus-60 VST which is a simulation of the Juno-60 chorus (I'm assuming this is the same or at least similar to the JC-120 chorus) and I'm curious what pedal options I have for getting that sound.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

People really like the Boss (Space) Dimension C/D family for that though different people tend to prefer different ones. The four button one that's long out of print w/ the behringer clone that's also like $100 now I wanna say is the closest (thats the Dimension C I think?). If racks are chill I adore the TAL one ITB and have hit similar notes with the chorus/flanger algos on the SDE-330, which does some of the modulation stuff the SDX does at a much better price.

There's also this

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tc-electronic-brings-back-the-juno-chorus-with-the-june-60-pedal

but I'm skeptical as it's mono

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
DigiTech RP360 or Zoom G3N?

I'm just playing around the house and want to dick around with various tones. I'm playing a PRS Zach Myers into a Fender Bronco or a Focusrite Saffire 6 if it matters.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

JamesKPolk posted:

People really like the Boss (Space) Dimension C/D family for that though different people tend to prefer different ones. The four button one that's long out of print w/ the behringer clone that's also like $100 now I wanna say is the closest (thats the Dimension C I think?). If racks are chill I adore the TAL one ITB and have hit similar notes with the chorus/flanger algos on the SDE-330, which does some of the modulation stuff the SDX does at a much better price.

There's also this

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tc-electronic-brings-back-the-juno-chorus-with-the-june-60-pedal

but I'm skeptical as it's mono

Speaking of the dimension, I want this.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Electronic/3rd-Dimension-Chorus-Effects-Pedal-1500000151799.gc

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

Do you guys have a go-to chorus pedal? I'm a big fan of the TAL-Chorus-60 VST which is a simulation of the Juno-60 chorus (I'm assuming this is the same or at least similar to the JC-120 chorus) and I'm curious what pedal options I have for getting that sound.

I just got a used Free The Tone Tri-Avatar and it’s quite glorious!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

I’m still so disappointed that this doesn’t have at least a stereo out. But at that price, could always buy two

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
It's amazing how much pedal order can affect the overall sound. I've been struggling to control the upper octave of the Sunder Fuzz; it sounds killer on the lower strings, but on the higher strings and frets there's a little too much octave and not enough fundamental. Yesterday I tried putting it before the EQD Westwood rather than after it, and not only is the octave more controllable, but I magically get more volume AND more cut from the fuzz!

Now I'm feeling the need for more fuzz. I know my local Wren and Cuff dealer has a Tall Font Russian, so I might get them to order in a Pickle Pie B as well for comparison.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Thorpe posted:

I’m still so disappointed that this doesn’t have at least a stereo out. But at that price, could always buy two

Oh I must have overlooked that. Even the beringher has stereo outs. I am less interested now.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 19, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anyone looking for a fuzz should check out the smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz:

http://www.smallsoundbigsound.com/products/buzzz/

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Wampler goes a bit goofy modding Metal Zones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_s2PTcwyNw
I like the overdrive and fuzz mods.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm looking for a delay pedal for my guitar's FX loop.

Does a reasonably priced digital delay pedal with...

1. decently long delay times
2. a hi-cut knob

...exist?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Anyone looking for a fuzz should check out the smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz:

http://www.smallsoundbigsound.com/products/buzzz/

I'd love to try this one, as well as their Team Awesome Fuzz Machine.

My local fuzz depot has a sale this weekend, so I went in and played 9 different pedals today:

DOD Carcosa - Versatile little box. Can be smooth, or really "splatty" depending on how the bias controls are set.
Earthquaker Bellows - Really gnarly fuzz, but it needs a tone control.
Earthquaker Erupter - Like the Bellows, it's a crushing fuzz, but for bass I need EQ controls to be able to cut through.
Earthquaker Terminal - Didn't like this one on bass, but it would probably sound cool on guitar.
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker - Too noisy, too raspy in the treble.
EHX Green Russian Muff - Way too muddy to be useable for me.
Union Sub Buzz - Nice sounding fuzz, but once again, I need more EQ. Super expensive too.
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian - Just like the Green Russian, way too muddy for my taste.
Wren and Cuff Elephant Skin - Sounds killer with the boost engaged, but it's too muddy without it. Also very expensive.

To my great surprise, I ended up taking home the Carcosa. It's a really nice fuzz for a really nice price!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

2. a hi-cut knob

...exist?

All inexpensive digital delays use the PT2399 delay chip which has a maximum delay time of 800ms. Beyond that is DSP land and that’s when things start to get pricey.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

All inexpensive digital delays use the PT2399 delay chip which has a maximum delay time of 800ms. Beyond that is DSP land and that’s when things start to get pricey.

Thanks. I should have been more specific. 800ms is plenty of delay time.
When I said "long" delay times that's about the length I meant. Basically I just wanted to rule out those analog delay pedals that can't do anything more than like 250ms or whatever.

So, are there any delay pedals in the $100 range that have high cut functionality?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

To my great surprise, I ended up taking home the Carcosa. It's a really nice fuzz for a really nice price!

Looks like a good upgrade from my French Toast which is locked into that high fuzzy realm, I like the options the Carcosa gives you in that respect, and it works well with bass which is the winner for me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

When I said "long" delay times that's about the length I meant. Basically I just wanted to rule out those analog delay pedals that can't do anything more than like 250ms or whatever.

So, are there any delay pedals in the $100 range that have high cut functionality?

Hmmmm. I looked around and didn't see one but you can buy a Boss DD-3 for $50 and do a high cut mod to it (literally just adding a capacitor to the feedback pot) and you'd be well under $100.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
How specific are you about the high cut filter?
My Vox Time Machine has a couple of modes (high and low fi) and if you hold down one of the switches it gives it cuts a lot of the high off the repeats. Regardless of the settings I never find the repeats 'get in the way' and more often than not it's in front of my amp rather than in the loop (mostly cos I'm lazy with wires, it sounds great in the loop)

Also has up to six seconds delay time :frogsiren:

https://youtu.be/BuAoXyzad-4

£120 new about 8 years ago.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Are pedals that do both overdrive and distortion tones worth it or am I better off getting two separate ones? There's things like the Boss OS-2 which have separate OD/Distortion settings and then the Rat 2 which people say can do both depending on how high you put the distortion knob. I'd also like something that would play nice going after my fuzz pedal.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

GreatGreen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umS7Tst8Iz4

I use the low cut on this one but it has both a low cut and a hi cut, a pre-delay and a hi-fi / lo-fi, as well as a side-chain function where you can choose that when you play, the delay is gated.

Oh also it's dynamic meaning that you get more delay (and can get the delay in to some pretty good distortion) if you dig in. if you play quietly, the delay cleans up and also gets quieter.

It's a good pedal.

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 30, 2018

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Never tried any others in that range, but I had the Korg overdrive from that series and really liked it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Danyull posted:

Are pedals that do both overdrive and distortion tones worth it or am I better off getting two separate ones? There's things like the Boss OS-2 which have separate OD/Distortion settings and then the Rat 2 which people say can do both depending on how high you put the distortion knob. I'd also like something that would play nice going after my fuzz pedal.

I'd look at the truetone jeckyl and hyde.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

ewe2 posted:

Looks like a good upgrade from my French Toast which is locked into that high fuzzy realm, I like the options the Carcosa gives you in that respect, and it works well with bass which is the winner for me.

Here's a starting point: toggle switch up, hi-cut all the way off, bias around noon, fuzz around 1 o'clock, level to taste. Nice thick fuzz with no low-end loss and no fizzy treble.

It stacks well with other pedals too.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

2. a hi-cut knob

...exist?

Mooer Reecho Pro imo. Meets both requirements, it's cheap, and sounds good. Ton of pedal for the money.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

aunt jemima posted:

Mooer Reecho Pro imo. Meets both requirements, it's cheap, and sounds good. Ton of pedal for the money.

But what's its maximum delay time, outside of tap tempo? Nothing in the manual, nothing on the net that I could find (no, 20 second looper does not count).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ewe2 posted:

But what's its maximum delay time, outside of tap tempo? Nothing in the manual, nothing on the net that I could find (no, 20 second looper does not count).

780ms

http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201410166093.html

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I meant the Pro, but that's a decent length for the mini-pedal.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got GAS and ordered four new cheapass Chinese pedals off of Amazon.

Aural Dream Super Ring: I love a good ring mod, and this one has a built in tremolo with 6 different waveforms. The Depth knob for that tremolo is weirdly wired to also be the wet volume, though, so if I want a 100% wet signal with just a bit of tremolo, I need to crank my amp to hear it. The overall effect is really nice, though, and the frequency range of the carrier signal ranges from bass ranges to piercingly high pitched, which makes it incredibly flexible, if a little hard to dial in exactly. Aural Dream makes some really interesting effects, so I recommend checking them out.

Little Bear BS1: It's a part-for-part clone of the Zvex Woolly Mammoth for $50 new. The pedal itself is huge and heavy, so not exactly pedal board friendly, but I wanted a super gated fuzz for an 8-bit effect and got it in spades. Chords sound kinda lovely as the pedal whacks out trying to process multiple notes into a pure square wave, but for single note melodies and octaves, this thing rips.

The next two arrived this morning, but I didn't have time to crack into them. I'll give a full report when I can crack into them tonight.

Mooer Pure Octave: Nothing pairs with a fuzz like an octaver. After listening to a few demos, this one seems to track well enough for my tastes, although it struggles with the +2 octaves.That said, it's small, polyphonic, and should sound nice and chaotic through the ring mod. At this point, we've all heard of Mooer

Caline USA Digital Overdrive: It's an Xotic BB preamp for $30. Demos made it sound really impressive, so, hey, maybe it'll work for me? Caline makes interesting clones for the $30-$50 dollar range. If this one goes well for me, I'll keep them in mind for future purchases.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

^good reviews.

Does any company make a clone of a Vox Repeat Percussion?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Earthquaker Hummingbird is a direct clone of it, as is the SeppukuFX Repeater. For cheaper tremolos, while I haven't actually played either of these, Danelectro's Filthy Rich might serve your needs, as would the Donner Ripple tremolo. They both have soft/hard switches to move from normal sine or triangle tremolos to square, and both get some impressive speed out of them, judging from the demos.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Has anyone here got/tried the Mooer Ocean Machine out? It looks decent in videos/demos and I am super gay for Devin, an objective viewport would be helpful. I got a new job and feel the need to splurge on something to celebrate. I currently have a Vox Time Machine and Marshall Reflector covering delay/verb duties.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Alright, now that I've had a chance to play with them:

Caline Orange Burst: This one isn't as transparent as I would have liked, giving the output a bit of a mids bump, but it's replaced my VFE Pale Horse for my light overdrive in my quest to replace my expensive pedals with cheaper equivalents. The Bass and Treble knobs boost or cut the signal, so it has a lot of tonal variation to it. The drive itself reacts really nicely to picking dynamics and has a fairly crunchy sound. It also interacts really well with other pedals; I run a light OD into a Joyo Ultimate Drive (a slightly more bassy OCD for ~$30) for my punk sound, and the Orange Burst pushes the UD just right. I'll probably check out the Pure Sky soon, since that's a straight up Timmy clone, but the Orange Burst is a great OD, especially for $30.

This is my first pedal by Caline, which is a Chinese manufacturer who lists its pedals on Amazon, but I'm really impressed by them so far. I want to crack into more of their line up eventually.

Mooer Pure Octave: The demos are 100% on point with this one. It's has a little trouble with the +2 and -2 octaves, and it doesn't track perfectly, but I really like this one. Like all octavers, the effect isn't as important as how it interacts with others on your board, and I got exactly the kind of octaver->fuzz sound I was looking for. As a bonus, I found that setting the octaver to -1, dry, +1/+2, running it into a pure pitch vibrato, into the Orange Burst set to a very light crunch, and finally into a short reverb makes my guitar sound exactly like an organ in a cheesy 50's sci-fi/horror movie. In short, it's not without its faults, but their minor compared to its pluses. It's small, versatile, affordable, and plays well with other pedals and effects. Not bad for ~$60.

So far, my plan to replace more expensive pedals with cheaper alternatives is going really well. I have a couple pedals up on reverb right now that, if sold near my asking price, will fund this round of GAS with about $100 to spare, and a few other pedals going up tonight, including my beloved Pale Horse.

Incidentally, if you're looking to through a good amount of cash at a transparent OD, the Pale Horse is really nice. I have a version 1, which has your standard volume/gain/tone setup, but supplements that with high and low cut knobs, and a three way toggle for clipping type, allowing you to choose between asymmetrical, LED, or MOSFET clipping. I think modern versions have a knob that can take you from asymmetrical to MOSFET smoothly instead of the switch. I'm not just writing this to help me sell it, either; it's just a great OD that I recommend if you are okay paying $130 new.

Future purchases: Donner Ripple tremolo, Caline Pure Sky, some kind of mini silicon fuzz that's a bit more normal than the faceripping, tonally destructive BS1 I mentioned in my last write-up. If I can find a good spring reverb pedal on the cheaper side, I'll grab one of those, too, but I'm not optimistic. My old Biyang Baby Boom Tri-Reverb came close, but, as a huge fan of the surf rock tone, it can't touch my Surf Rider.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I see Donner also have a trelicopter, does that mean they're cloning Mooers? I bought a Mooer Trelicopter anyway, and if you're looking for a good spring reverb, the Beheringer RV600 has a decent one (two, actually but one of them claims to duplicate a Twin Reverb), along with a bunch of other reverbs but I bought it for the spring, it's got good bubble but you'll have to be careful with the mix and tone amounts.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Sold my Wonderlove, but I have another filter en route.

Westwood -> Carcosa is a really nice combination. I'm finding the Carcosa a bit muddy with a band, but the Westwood adds the perfect amount of cut.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Gorgar posted:

Never tried any others in that range, but I had the Korg overdrive from that series and really liked it.

I hesitated to post about it because I kinda don't want anyone to know about this pedal

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I sold the overdrive many years ago and haven't seen one since. I'm guessing that range wasn't made very long. They were pretty lame and not worth tracking down, though I might grab another if I saw it, purely for sentimental reasons.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

edit: oops wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Does anyone have recommendations for a volume pedal? Not really interested in frills, just want something well built that does its job.

This question feels stupid (how hard can it be to make the noisy noisy go up and down?), but I have no context and, as with everything else with gear, it's always much more complicated and deep than it seems on the surface.