Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

AstroZamboni posted:

The weather on the new episode is loving awesome. The final verse is a paraphrasing of three distinct works by Carl Sagan done really well.

This song is my loving battle cry from now on

Yeah. This is my new favorite weather. Amazing. :orks101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Slaan posted:

Yeah. This is my new favorite weather. Amazing. :orks101:

Yeah, it's the first time I've actually gone and checked out the artist, rather than just thinking "oh, I should check them out" and never doing it.

I usually listen to the show driving home from work these days, and even without using headphones the bug thing bothered me a little. Eurgh.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The only weather I've ever really liked that wasn't The Bus Is Late (Oh poo poo here's the bus/oh wait it's a different bus/not the right bus not the bus I need) is the Against Me! song but Against Me! is a band with like four good songs ever so there you go

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Literally The Worst posted:

The only weather I've ever really liked that wasn't The Bus Is Late (Oh poo poo here's the bus/oh wait it's a different bus/not the right bus not the bus I need) is the Against Me! song but Against Me! is a band with like four good songs ever so there you go

You have a super narrow taste in music man.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
The only other weather that wowed me to this degree was Cover Me Up by Jason Isbell.

He's got a new album coming out, by the way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only time I don't like, and usually end up fast forwarding through, the weather is if it's some generic sounding "indie" poo poo with some sad sack playing his acoustic guitar and moaning about bullshit. It doesn't happen often, thankfully. This weeks weather was awesome, and I'm glad to see more Minneapolis hip hop get featured cause our scene for that is fuckin' crazy right now. Carnage The Executioner is another local guy who, cheap plug, I did a music video for a while ago, and is awesome.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My favourite weather is still "Promise to The Moon" from The Debate. Jason Webley is the best.

Caros
May 14, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

My favourite weather is still "Promise to The Moon" from The Debate. Jason Webley is the best.

Gotta agree to that one, just don't listen to it while driving or urge to tap your foot may cause a rear end collision.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

cptn_dr posted:

I got to see him live during the Librarian tour, it was absolutely awesome :cool:

He also played a really great song about giraffes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

You have a super narrow taste in music man.

Sky blue water wet

The new one is dope though

Edit there's actually a couple from really early on that I don't remember the names of but yeah most o kg the weather isn't my thing

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Slack Motherfucker posted:

I got to see him live during the Librarian tour, it was absolutely awesome :cool:

I saw him play at Bumbershoot in Seattle one year (just him, a bassist, and a drummer) and at the end of the show, he had everyone spin around in a circle like ten times (to simulate drunkenness) and while the whole audience was spinning, the curtain behind him lifted up and a twenty piece marching band started playing, complete with baton twirlers and a guy carrying a giant carrot. Then Jason had everyone chant "Follow the carrot" over and over and we followed the marching band out of the venue and across the compound into a giant water fountain.

Point of the story, Jason Webley is bomb, all of the weather has been bomb, keep up the good work.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
The previous episode's ("Best of") artist has the same name as a former coworker, whom I hated with a passion, and after repeated listens I'm not 100% convinced that it's not him. Weird. Eerie. I generally love the Weather, though. Especially Doomtree. More Doomtree, please :D

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dimloep posted:

Especially Doomtree. More Doomtree, please :D

See! Everyone love MN hip hop!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheJoker138 posted:

See! Everyone love MN hip hop!

Not me. Below is a list of some songs I enjoy, and their musical genre, in an attempt to get good music on Night Vale

Merryweather Spitbugs
Preston Cloche
Fingerstyle guitar

Party of Rain
Spencer Westwood
Fingerstyle guitar

Bodicea's Lair
Imagination
Fingerstyle guitar

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Not me. Below is a list of some songs I enjoy, and their musical genre, in an attempt to get good music on Night Vale

Merryweather Spitbugs
Preston Cloche
Fingerstyle guitar

Party of Rain
Spencer Westwood
Fingerstyle guitar

Bodicea's Lair
Imagination
Fingerstyle guitar

You have the most accurate username I've ever seen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Merryweather Spitbugs
Preston Cloche
Fingerstyle guitar

Party of Rain
Spencer Westwood
Fingerstyle guitar

Bodicea's Lair
Imagination
Fingerstyle guitar

"Merryweather Spitbugs" sounds like a Pikmin enemy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Slack Motherfucker posted:

I've seen him live a couple of times now, and he's always amazing. Last time he played us some of the voice mails he got from the Giraffe Farm owner after writing that song (https://youtu.be/G4A9lEn070Q). They were some of the most surreal things I've ever heard.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os0Z3mc8G8g

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Oh man, I'd forgotten Anais Mitchell did a weather too. I like her almost as much as I like Jason Webley.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I like most of the weather to varying degrees except for the country/folk sounding ones like Bill and Annie, Those Days Are Gone and My Heart is Breaking, and (to a lesser extent) Get Me Home.
That said I recognize that not every song is going to cater to my specific musical tastes and I don't expect them to. Not liking something doesn't mean that it sucks, come on.
I would have to agree though that Promise to the Moon is the best/my favorite.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Weird, I've liked most of the Weathers, but Jason Webly and Anais Mitchell are two that I really dislike, while Get Me Home is one of my favorites. No accounting for taste. :shrug:

My taste is obviously superior, fyi

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I like every single weather.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Been meaning to post for a while here, but Night Vale has been on a loving roll.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Anais Mitchell was the first time I went out and bought an album immediately after the episode.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I listened "Best Of" while driving by myself on a country road late at night and hosed up from lack of sleep.

10/10 would do again.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

dragon_pamcake posted:

I listened "Best Of" while driving by myself on a country road late at night and hosed up from lack of sleep.

10/10 would do again.

Honestly I assume this is the default or at least recommend state of mind to listen to Nightvale.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Yeah, driving to the airport at 4 AM is super Night Vale.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
How is the weather chosen? Is there like a list of people who have emailed in with songs saying "hey I'd like to be the weather here is my song" and twice a month one of those songs is picked? Has it ever gone the other way- ie you heard a song and said "that simply must be a weather" and sought out the artist for permission to use it?

FWIW RE Action Yak Police: I friggin hate Bill and Annie as well as Get Me Home, but Those Days Are Gone and My Heart is Breaking is probably in my top five. It, Despite What You've Been Told, and Last Song are ones where I regularly listen to the episode just to hear the weather because it is even better in context of a Night Vale episode.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Diet Poison posted:

How is the weather chosen? Is there like a list of people who have emailed in with songs saying "hey I'd like to be the weather here is my song" and twice a month one of those songs is picked? Has it ever gone the other way- ie you heard a song and said "that simply must be a weather" and sought out the artist for permission to use it?

There are many that are songs or artists I've loved a long time. Most of the first year or two is that, with some fan submissions here and there. Others are songs I stumbled on. For instance Palabras de Papel I believe it was called, which was a song by a street performer in Barcelona. I really liked it while walking by, wrote down his info, and emailed him later for permission. I'm still not 100% sure he understands what happened. I think he might believe he was played on the radio in a town called Night Vale, which I guess is close enough.

I opened up submissions for weather this summer and got hundreds and hundreds, so there are more and more fan submissions now. The last two episodes were both fan submissions. But there are also plenty of artists that are ones I loved and reached out to mixed in (Against Me!, the Mountain Goats, Waxahatchee).

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
After all that talk about the weather, finally someone is doing something about it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Black Doe is the best weather, imo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Solaris Knight posted:

Yeah, driving to the airport at 4 AM is super Night Vale.

I don't get nearly the same out of Night Vale if I don't listen to it around 2am.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I think the best experience I had listening to Night Vale was listening to Numbers Station in the old lab building I used to work in at around 10 PM after everyone had left. Walking through the dark hallways back to my lab when the numbers station voice came on for the first time was pretty fun.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
my favorite weather is in The September Monologues

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah, you are definitely literally the worst.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Sounds like your old username should have been Dickear

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

This is, and I'm not exaggerating, the worst weather that has been played yet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

This is, and I'm not exaggerating, the worst weather that has been played yet.

Actually it's really good.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

TheJoker138 posted:

Actually it's really good.

Just my opinion. :) I don't care for her voice, but there's a lot of other really good songs that have been used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.

maxnmona posted:

There are many that are songs or artists I've loved a long time. Most of the first year or two is that, with some fan submissions here and there. Others are songs I stumbled on. For instance Palabras de Papel I believe it was called, which was a song by a street performer in Barcelona. I really liked it while walking by, wrote down his info, and emailed him later for permission. I'm still not 100% sure he understands what happened. I think he might believe he was played on the radio in a town called Night Vale, which I guess is close enough.

I opened up submissions for weather this summer and got hundreds and hundreds, so there are more and more fan submissions now. The last two episodes were both fan submissions. But there are also plenty of artists that are ones I loved and reached out to mixed in (Against Me!, the Mountain Goats, Waxahatchee).

Count me as one of the hundreds and hundreds of submissions when it was opened up last summer. I play in several bands, but didn't want to flood your inbox any more than I already knew it would be, so I wound up just sending in one track from my main band's fifth album.

I'm pretty drat proud of this one, but those of you who don't like acoustic folky stuff probably won't dig it.

https://soundcloud.com/cowpunkholymoly/03-cocaine

/end shameless self-promotion

Snowdog79 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 18, 2015