Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

What about Jefferson or Van Buren?

Look, Burr lost and it's time your Burrites admit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Say what you will for the American system of government, but at least we figured out pretty quickly that having a President and a Vice President from opposing parties was a terrible idea.

(Speaking of how American politics always being about trolling people, the Federalists specifically made it legal to criticize the Vice President while making it a federal crime to criticize the president or Congress. For all the hemming and hawing about how the Founding Fathers gave us a sacrosanct Constitution, they sure did gently caress everything up a couple times.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FadingChord posted:

(Speaking of how American politics always being about trolling people, the Federalists specifically made it legal to criticize the Vice President while making it a federal crime to criticize the president or Congress. For all the hemming and hawing about how the Founding Fathers gave us a sacrosanct Constitution, they sure did gently caress everything up a couple times.)
Was that bill entitled the "Haha, gently caress You, Jefferson Act"?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

It is okay. Jefferson got back at the Federalists by secretly penning the Kentucky Resolution, which caused their support to crumble and gave us the Nullification Crisis.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lycus posted:

Was that bill entitled the "Haha, gently caress You, Jefferson Act"?

Alien and Sedition Acts, and neither of them lasted real long because they were basically an affront to the First Amendment--on which the ink was barely dry at that point.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
In which, I am slowly becoming less unhappy about Intrade's death over time:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Can you explain those odds?
I want to laugh at half the list of unelectable idiots, but I'm too confused by the math.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I met Evan Bayh at an event the other day.

His personality is just as bland as his politics.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Can you explain those odds?
I want to laugh at half the list of unelectable idiots, but I'm too confused by the math.

They're not odds, they're my P&L after about a couple of months' worth of bets. In other words, if X gets the nom I get the number next to X's name.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
What service are you using now Adar?

I miss Intrade too :(

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Betfair only has a handful of contracts, but the ones it does have have more action per capita than Intrade would've right now.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Schweitzer is talking like he may have a go at it.

quote:

Add another name to the short list of Democrats seriously considering a run for president in 2016.

In an interview with RealClearPolitics, former Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer indicated that he may launch a White House bid, even if front-runner Hillary Clinton also enters the race.

“I still hold the people of Iowa and New Hampshire in high regard,” Schweitzer said of the nation’s first caucus and primary states. “The people of Iowa are a whole lot like the people of Montana. And, of course, New Hampshire’s a lot like Montana. We don’t have a sales tax. ‘Live Free or Die’ -- we understand that notion in Montana.”

A popular two-term governor who once used a red-hot branding iron to veto several bills passed by the Republican-controlled state legislature, Schweitzer would offer a hefty dose of rural folksiness against the East Coast urbanites in the potential Democratic field, including Clinton, Vice President Joe Biden, and Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley.

Asked whether there would be room for a populist candidate to run a credible race against Clinton, Schweitzer left no doubt that he can envision himself in that very role.

After noting that a high percentage of Democratic primary voters are women and agreeing that it is “time for a woman president,” Schweitzer quickly qualified his assessment by adding what would likely be a central tenet of his pitch in a campaign against Clinton:

“There’s a whole lot of America that looks at each other and says, ‘Well, there’s 340 million people living in America. Isn’t there somebody other than a Bush or a Clinton who can be president in these modern times? Isn’t there hope for somebody who’s running a business or who has served overseas or comes from a different occupation to become president? Are we now in the era of royalty again?’ So I think there’s some level of frustration about that.”

He doesn't have much of a chance, but I hope he does anyway. :unsmith:

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Didn't see this mentioned here yet. Apparently Christie is going to fold on gay marriage in NJ, which provides a lot of ammo for opponents should he decide to run for POTUS.

As much as I dislike Christie, I do have to admit that he seems to pretty readily put doing the right thing ahead of furthering any future political aspirations. If he's not terribly interested in pandering to the far-right elements of the GOP (which are increasingly becoming a bigger portion of the party as moderates abandon ship), then I have to wonder if 2016 is becoming an ever less-appealing prospect in his eyes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah the right thing, but only after appealing it then getting completely shut down.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Didn't see this mentioned here yet. Apparently Christie is going to fold on gay marriage in NJ, which provides a lot of ammo for opponents should he decide to run for POTUS.

As much as I dislike Christie, I do have to admit that he seems to pretty readily put doing the right thing ahead of furthering any future political aspirations. If he's not terribly interested in pandering to the far-right elements of the GOP (which are increasingly becoming a bigger portion of the party as moderates abandon ship), then I have to wonder if 2016 is becoming an ever less-appealing prospect in his eyes.

I'm pretty sure he was furthering his future political aspirations when he shut down that tunnel project for no reason just to stick it to the LIBERALS and their infrastructure.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

If Christie is the nominee, it won't be because he won the primary from the right and by 2016 (hell, today) being anti gay marriage is a liability in the general election.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Christie's not really "folding" so much as complying with a state supreme court injunction, which I think nearly all Republican governors would do. As far as I'm aware, the state has not withdrawn their appeal of the various holdings that will be heard in Januaryish.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
It is easy, with so much of the GOP being truly monstrous, to see Christie merely being an rear end in a top hat as gentlemanly behaviour. It is kind of scary how even Tea Party farce is still shifting the Overton window further to the right.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It is easy, with so much of the GOP being truly monstrous, to see Christie merely being an rear end in a top hat as gentlemanly behaviour. It is kind of scary how even Tea Party farce is still shifting the Overton window further to the right.

For the GOP, maybe. The Overton window as a whole is now moving left and has been for a couple of years now.

To wit, we just backed out of a war in the Middle East because nobody important in either party thought it was a good idea and are pretty firmly committed to dronin' it up forever, which is substantially more technocratic-leftish than sending in the Marines.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I dunno, the debt ceiling / shutdown fight was, I believe, over a more austere budget than Ryan's and Obama has consistently been open to very right wing grand bargains.

Also while I think it will be short term the need for any port in a storm to avert default led even posters here to view moderate GOPers somewhat favourably simply because they weren't actively trying to destroy the republic. If the Tea Party keep it up maybe things like Christie simply accepting defeat on a policy rather then burning everything down TP style will garner moderate GOPers positive feelings from liberals.

Then again Romney got viewed as fairly moderate because he had to go along with a veto proof Dem legislature in MA so maybe I'm just being too pessimistic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Adar posted:

For the GOP, maybe. The Overton window as a whole is now moving left and has been for a couple of years now.

To wit, we just backed out of a war in the Middle East because nobody important in either party thought it was a good idea and are pretty firmly committed to dronin' it up forever, which is substantially more technocratic-leftish than sending in the Marines.

Yeah, anyone who thinks we're sliding backward on all fronts should get a load of the history of Ellen.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-episode-that-liberatedthen-destroyedellen,101551/

Ellen coming out got a parental guidance warning preceding her show on every episode thereafter and ultimately killed it. Today, gay sitcoms are considered trite and the social conservative wing of the GOP has never been weaker.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I dunno, the debt ceiling / shutdown fight was, I believe, over a more austere budget than Ryan's and Obama has consistently been open to very right wing grand bargains.

Also while I think it will be short term the need for any port in a storm to avert default led even posters here to view moderate GOPers somewhat favourably simply because they weren't actively trying to destroy the republic. If the Tea Party keep it up maybe things like Christie simply accepting defeat on a policy rather then burning everything down TP style will garner moderate GOPers positive feelings from liberals.

Then again Romney got viewed as fairly moderate because he had to go along with a veto proof Dem legislature in MA so maybe I'm just being too pessimistic.

The top line budget numbers are the last thing that matters worth a drat that's still Overtoned right, and that will change as soon as the economy booms for a year or so and the Tea Party immediately stops paying attention to it. Foreign policy has almost 180'd - John McCain is literally the Last Neocon - and social issues are not even close.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Adar posted:

On the other hand, at the start of the whole shutdown issue, the Democrats immediately offered to go to a budget roughly analogous with the Ryan plan and were denied. Socially, on most issues, we're shifting left. Financially, I think we're shifting right.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ravenfood posted:

the Democrats immediately offered to go to a budget roughly analogous with the Ryan plan

Any perceived shifting is probably hyperbole.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ravenfood posted:

On the other hand, at the start of the whole shutdown issue, the Democrats immediately offered to go to a budget roughly analogous with the Ryan plan and were denied. Socially, on most issues, we're shifting left. Financially, I think we're shifting right.

Yo buddy, when a proposal to the right is offered and is denied, that generally indicates it's outside of the acceptable window.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
We have been shifting rightward financially, but the Tea Party going full-suicide might stop that movement in its tracks by ruining any effective Republican strategy for leveraging spending cuts from the Democrats. There are signs here and there of a liberal economics resurgence, the NYC mayoral race being the most prominent.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Install Windows posted:

Yo buddy, when a proposal to the right is offered and is denied, that generally indicates it's outside of the acceptable window.
Yes, because it wasn't far enough to the right. The Dems offered a Ryan-level budget and it wasn't conservative enough. I think that's indicative of a rightward financial shift, both in the offering and in the rejecting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ravenfood posted:

Yes, because it wasn't far enough to the right. The Dems offered a Ryan-level budget and it wasn't conservative enough. I think that's indicative of a rightward financial shift, both in the offering and in the rejecting.

if you let Republicans' acceptance of a policy determine how right the country as a whole has shifted, surprisingly you'll fine it is a large amount!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ravenfood posted:

That short CR was low but it's setting up the fight on the BCA. By continuing 13 levels but expiring before 14 BCA cuts trigger it gives Democrats a stronger negotiating position than longer CR that would get auto cut by the BCA. Reid and Democrats are pretty determined to axe the BCA and increase domestic spending.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Ravenfood posted:

You mean the future trend really is "socially liberal, fiscally conservative"? Nooooooo :negative:

Seriously now, one data point means about as much as the "recovery" of Arctic sea ice that was trumpeted a few months back. We won't know whether the economic trend is left, right or center until there's a trend to observe.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Exhausting all legal avenues to preventing gay marriage is not "doing the right thing" just because he's admitted he's not going to waddle down to the courthouse and start knocking the bouquets out of peoples' hands.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

You mean the future trend really is "socially liberal, fiscally conservative"? Nooooooo :negative:

The fallacy that you can be these things simultaneously is pretty awful. If society really is going in that direction, then we're in trouble.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tadashi posted:

The fallacy that you can be these things simultaneously is pretty awful. If society really is going in that direction, then we're in trouble.

The thing is, that viewpoint only exists in light of an external threat (i.e., social conservatives). Once basically everyone subscribes to that viewpoint people will revolt from it like what normally happens.

(and on a side note, how many of these "socially liberal fiscally conservative" people are non-white? If anything this seems like par the course)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ravenfood posted:

Except the thing that actually got accepted in the end was not farther to the right , it was merely the status quo.

What this indicates is that window of acceptability didn't move at all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tadashi posted:

I don't know how true a self identification it is though. I know that I claimed to be fiscally conservative for quite a while longer than I was due to a misunderstanding of what the label actually meant. I think most people think it just means being fiscally responsible, and have varying definitions of what is responsible.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah, anyone who thinks we're sliding backward on all fronts should get a load of the history of Ellen.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-episode-that-liberatedthen-destroyedellen,101551/

Ellen coming out got a parental guidance warning preceding her show on every episode thereafter and ultimately killed it. Today, gay sitcoms are considered trite and the social conservative wing of the GOP has never been weaker.

Man speaking of gay TV in the 90's my wife and I watched an episode of Deep Space Nine where Daxx had a lesbian relationship with another Trill with a full makeout session and everything. I bet that caused a bit of an outrage.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Man speaking of gay TV in the 90's my wife and I watched an episode of Deep Space Nine where Daxx had a lesbian relationship with another Trill with a full makeout session and everything. I bet that caused a bit of an outrage.

Yep: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Rejoined_%28episode%29#Reception

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Even better was that she did it based on her memories of when she was a man, so go ahead and toss transgender issues in there as well!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

computer parts posted:

if you let Republicans' acceptance of a policy determine how right the country as a whole has shifted, surprisingly you'll fine it is a large amount!

Fortunately it's not up to us forums posters what's acceptable--but unfortunately it is up to the Democrats and they've taken you on your word! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/10/can-rand-paul-learn-to-tell-the-truth/280701/

Can Rand Paul Learn to Tell the Truth?
The Kentucky senator and presidential hopeful has charisma, fundraising power, and new ideas. Now if can only resolve his sticky habit for bending the facts.

quote:

Paul said someone making $30,000 a year would not be able to afford insurance under the new law "if it's going to cover pregnancy to sex change to lap dancer." The administration has said plainly that policies do not have to cover sex-change surgery. As for lap dancing, well, that apparently was Paul's imagination going somewhere unusual.

Those few minutes on stage encapsulated the promise and the peril of a brash and politically talented party crasher already deep into preparations for a 2016 presidential race. Paul's positions—a combination of conservative, libertarian, and idiosyncratic—have the potential to excite and enlarge the Republican Party. His informal, engaging personality could attract the young voters Republicans need to survive. Indeed, he could grow into a Reaganesque game changer for his party—if he does not end up a victim of his own affinity for misinformation.

Interesting look into his plans and habits.

• Locked thread