Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Phanatic posted:

Or more usually, looking like half-melted rear end and being a nightmare to use.

Okay, that's more accurate. I'm not a fan of either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Phanatic posted:

Nothing "happened" to them, they're part of the toolset. Nothing "happened" to classical concepts of art, but the world of art encompasses more than just those things.

Yes but you don't see people trying to use a Calder as a park bench or a ceiling fan.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

What happened to the classical concepts of architecture? What happened to columns, arches, vaulted ceilings, domes, pillars, buttresses, statues, fancy doors and windows, and all the fine detail you get with it? Why is the modern idea of architecture just walls of glass/concrete or buildings that are made in unnatural, nonfunctional shapes. When did basic geometry become uncool? I thought people liked older styles of architecture, which is why people want to go and visit places like France and Italy.

Progress of all kinds requires experimentation, and sensibilities also change. It's possible to appreciate more than one approach to architecture; whilst I love the high gothic cathedrals of my native England, and the detail and ingenuity that goes into them, I can also appreciate things like the Seagram Building, or the Rothko Chapel. Post-modern architecture attempts to explore ways of delineating space without recourse to the regular, structured approaches of the past. Is it successful? Sometimes. Similarly, not everything from the Renaissance was successful.

It's very easy to romanticise the past. What remains of its architecture—the cathedrals and duomos and suchlike—often represents the pinnacle of achievement in that style; the half-assed stuff, the unremarkable stuff, has all been demolished to make way for newer things.

Furthermore, architecture is locale-dependent. A cathedral built in the Vertical Gothic style in the middle of Tulsa would look absurd. Pushing the boundaries of the high gothic style winds you up with The Sagrada Família, which many people love (and personally I consider hideous), and it's a hugely important building in terms of the evolution of style. It is, however, an experiment, and opinion is still divided as to its success.

Ultimately: not all change is progress, but all progress requires change. Some will love it; some will hate it.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 4, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Jeherrin posted:

I'm not sure I agree wholly. Buildings can still have sculptural qualities aside from functional ones. It doesn't make Zaha Hadid an intrinsically poo poo architect, it just means that she is poo poo at providing workable solutions. The question, of course, is whether architecture as a practice can, ever, exist independently of the requirements of a building.

It's like there's fail-over if it's sexy.

Bad architecture is good art is good architecture.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jeherrin posted:

I'm not sure I agree wholly. Buildings can still have sculptural qualities aside from functional ones. It doesn't make Zaha Hadid an intrinsically poo poo architect, it just means that she is poo poo at providing workable solutions. The question, of course, is whether architecture as a practice can, ever, exist independently of the requirements of a building.
"She's not poo poo at architecture, just poo poo at providing workable solutions" as if providing workable solutions isn't what an architect is supposed to do.

Architecture independent of the requirements of a building is called sculpture. If you can make things that look nice but are not useful as buildings then congratulations on being an artist but you're a failure as an architect.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

What happened to the classical concepts of architecture? What happened to columns, arches, vaulted ceilings, domes, pillars, buttresses, statues, fancy doors and windows, and all the fine detail you get with it? Why is the modern idea of architecture just walls of glass/concrete or buildings that are made in unnatural, nonfunctional shapes. When did basic geometry become uncool? I thought people liked older styles of architecture, which is why people want to go and visit places like France and Italy.

Human labour is expensive, materials are cheap. A handful of skilled construction workers can with modern tech and materials do what you'd need hundreds of unskilled labourers and masonry-workers to do in the past. A few hundred skilled construction workers can make things you couldn't even conveieve of in the past. The tradeoff is that modern tech makes modern buildings.

It's kind of like asking "Why don't people make classical operas in the style of Wagner anymore?" Well, we already have the actual operas made by the actual Wagner, and to be honest I'd rather go see one of the many good modern bands play live than watch a piece by some wannabe romantic composer.

It's not like this is decided centrally though, so maybe things will change.

Roy fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 4, 2015

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Cacator posted:

I was in Macau last month and this monstrosity looms over the city:

At night, the entire thing lights up like a giant penis lighthouse. And the giant bulb at the bottom? Letters will be written in horribly colourful letters.

And then entire thing lies immediately behind the main bus terminal, so EVERYONE sees the drat thing all the time.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I guess you guys are right. Still, it doesn't excuse poo poo like what Gerhy does.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

I guess you guys are right. Still, it doesn't excuse poo poo like what Gerhy does.

Is it a deliberate act of disrespect that the h in his name keeps jumping around in your posts but never lands where it should?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RagnarokZ posted:

At night, the entire thing lights up like a giant penis lighthouse. And the giant bulb at the bottom? Letters will be written in horribly colourful letters.

And then entire thing lies immediately behind the main bus terminal, so EVERYONE sees the drat thing all the time.

Uhh, not EVERYONE hangs around behind the Macao main bus terminal all hours.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Sagrada Familia is amazing it's like something out of a weird future where we're all hyper-evolved slug people with giant brains.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

GotLag posted:

"She's not poo poo at architecture, just poo poo at providing workable solutions" as if providing workable solutions isn't what an architect is supposed to do.

Architecture independent of the requirements of a building is called sculpture. If you can make things that look nice but are not useful as buildings then congratulations on being an artist but you're a failure as an architect.

While I understand and to degree agree with your point, consider this:

Sometimes, a city or organisation wants a large decorative statement that doubles as a museum or airport or whatever. For these occasions, form might well be more important than function - so effectively they want a sculptor who works in the medium of buildings. We tend to call those people architects.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Canadian War Museum looks like one of the spaceships from Independence Day

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Computer viking posted:

Sometimes, a city or organisation wants a large decorative statement that doubles as a museum or airport or whatever. For these occasions, form might well be more important than function - so effectively they want a sculptor who works in the medium of buildings. We tend to call those people bad architects.

Ftfy.

A really good architect should be able to deliver the form without horribly compromising the function.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

therattle posted:

A really good architect should be able to deliver the form without horribly compromising the function.

So not Gehry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Computer viking posted:

Sometimes, a city or organisation wants a large decorative statement that doubles as a museum or airport or whatever. For these occasions, form might well be more important than function - so effectively they want a sculptor who works in the medium of buildings. We tend to call those people architects.

how do you people grasp that the issue folks are having is that the buildings look cool but are useless and thus they failed as architects.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Canadian War Museum looks like one of the spaceships from Independence Day

What's the morse code say?

E:NM. I got less lazy.
"Lest we forget" and its French equivalent, "N'oublions jamais".

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TheMadMilkman posted:

So not Gehry.

Definitely not.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Great link by the way.

This is the interior of the brutalist Basilica of St Pius X.

There's something so unnerving about the walls or the lighting or maybe the shape of the room.

This reminds me of the Tampa airport for some reason.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Groovelord Neato posted:

how do you people grasp that the issue folks are having is that the buildings look cool but are useless and thus they failed as architects.

I think he's disagreeing on what the fundamental purpose of an architect is

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

I think he's disagreeing on what the fundamental purpose of an architect is

I think he's confused on what the fundamental purpose of an architect is.

No one e-mails an architect, "I need something that'll triple my turn over and which people will avoid using at all costs."

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I bet there's plenty of government bodies that want a building to make a statement or leave a legacy or improve an area aesthetically but don't give a poo poo at all what the building does or if it can do anything

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Accretionist posted:

I think he's confused on what the fundamental purpose of an architect is.

No one e-mails an architect, "I need something that'll triple my turn over and which people will avoid using at all costs."

No, but sometimes people decide "we want something so bizarre and dramatic it will be a tourist attraction in itself, and gently caress the people who have to work in there". Catering to that niche takes a certain set of sculpture-like skills that for good or bad are also classed as architecture.

I'd be up for reclassifying Ghery and Hadid and their ilk as House Sculptors or something to separate what they do from the more sensible meaning of architecture, though "house sculptor" sounds unbearably hipster and I'm open for better suggestions.

It's kind of like how some people will happily pay a large premium for a fancy lamp or chandelier designed by a big name even if it's kind of bad at actually lighting a room. A designer can simultaneously be bad at lighting and good at making showpieces that happen to be excused as lamps - and I'm not sure if that averages out to being a bad designer.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 5, 2015

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Architist?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

With the -tist from "elitist"? It has a certain charm.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wankitecht? Indulgineer?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
A non-Disney Imagineer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Formulator

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Egonomist?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Here's a good one: Con Men.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Anarchist-tect

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
poo faces

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/08/29/carbuncle_cup_2014_shortlist_for_britain_s_worst_building_design.html

I sort of like the brutalist parking garage.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Computer viking posted:

No, but sometimes people decide "we want something so bizarre and dramatic it will be a tourist attraction in itself, and gently caress the people who have to work in there". Catering to that niche takes a certain set of sculpture-like skills that for good or bad are also classed as architecture.

I'd be up for reclassifying Ghery and Hadid and their ilk as House Sculptors or something to separate what they do from the more sensible meaning of architecture, though "house sculptor" sounds unbearably hipster and I'm open for better suggestions.

It's kind of like how some people will happily pay a large premium for a fancy lamp or chandelier designed by a big name even if it's kind of bad at actually lighting a room. A designer can simultaneously be bad at lighting and good at making showpieces that happen to be excused as lamps - and I'm not sure if that averages out to being a bad designer.

I worked as an interior architecture photographer's assistant for a few months, you wouldn't believe the number of people who buy expensive things because there's a name attached even though they're bad at their stated purpose. uncomfortable chairs, dim lamps, etc. that cost thousands. Then there's the interior designers that just jam as much expensive stuff into a room as they can.

My friend is an architect, he said they unofficially study Geryh :v: as the supreme example of form over function. Just imagine trying to run HVAC or water piping anywhere in those 'gilded turd' interiors.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 5, 2015

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Vauxhall Tower is beautiful in that picture, why is it on that list of nominees?

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!
My dad shared this gingerbread house on facebook today and I thought of all you guys.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Good thing he didn't make a Frank Gehry gingerbread house. :ohdear:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

red19fire posted:

I worked as an interior architecture photographer's assistant for a few months, you wouldn't believe the number of people who buy expensive things because there's a name attached even though they're bad at their stated purpose. uncomfortable chairs, dim lamps, etc. that cost thousands. Then there's the interior designers that just jam as much expensive stuff into a room as they can.

I forget who it was but someone from Artek stated in an interview that if their furniture wasn't ludicrously priced, no-one would buy it because if you're going to buy a reasonably-priced plywood chair, you may as well get the ultra-cheap knock-off from Ikea and they can't compete with that.

e: They're actually both pragmatic and reasonably comfortable though. I'm sitting on a fifties Aalto stool (which I inherited) as I'm typing this.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 5, 2015

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The B_36 posted:

Vauxhall Tower is beautiful in that picture, why is it on that list of nominees?

Probably something along the lines of being unfit for purpose. Could you imagine living in a house shaped like a pizza slice? You'd have wasted space everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Neoclassicism is the ketchup of architecture.

• Locked thread