Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In law school 100% of all of my grades except legal writing was the final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My business school just has presentations for spring quarter since graduation is Friday of finals week. Stupid engineering is insisting on 40% finals.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Sociology grad school is usually 3-5 papers (10-12 pages each) that consist of 20-30% of your grade each. Classes are "optional" in the sense that they don't take attendance nor care if you're there or not, but you probably won't do well writing the papers without the class itself.

And then of course is the standard 'if you score lower than a B ever you're failing, and A/A- is expected'

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I think I finished my capstone paper.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

Congrats!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
That’s awesome man

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
That’s pretty quick.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Now it's time for Phase Two: The Editing

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

McNally posted:

Congrats!

I'm jealous, 30 pages in and 10 days till the rough is due.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

drat mine was mostly research and data but closer to 10 pages sheesh

I mean plus 2-4 for title page abstract etc etc

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I read this thread to quash any idea I have of getting a graduate degree in the near future.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think we figured somewhere between 60-80 when it's done, I dont know how you got through lit review under ten pages.

If I can get a graduate degree or two, you should be fine. I'm kinda bummed I only have two months left and then I have to get a job, a good part of this has been fun.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It depends on your industry really. If I wanted to do the SME path, I absolutely have to get a PhD. But as a working manager / non-SME analyst a MS +certs is perfect.

I think my final capstone/thesis paper was 60-62 pages + 10-12 for references. I don't want to go look, because I'm afraid it's like opening the ark of the covenant.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

DoktorLoken posted:

I read this thread to quash any idea I have of getting a graduate degree in the near future.

If I can do it, literally anybody can. *

* MBA, not this quantum boojums STEM nerd poo poo people are posting about

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

:colbert:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Look it isn't quantum boojum now hold still while I poke you with this needle to see if it kills you

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

lightpole posted:

Congrats!

I'm jealous, 30 pages in and 10 days till the rough is due.

gently caress, mine only had to be 25.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Used a part of my tax return to pay off the last of my four student loans this week. Only took 9 years :woop:

GRE waiver approved, and grad school application is due June 15. gently caress. :cry:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

In case it wasn't obvious above, I fully realize I could never hack a fraction of the math or science poo poo y'all do, and instead took the time-honored path for sub-par intellects.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqjv0mHpapk

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

GD_American posted:

In case it wasn't obvious above, I fully realize I could never hack a fraction of the math or science poo poo y'all do, and instead took the time-honored path for sub-par intellects.

don't worry, I'm studying science but doing a poor enough job of it that my degree will never be worth anything

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
So, I've got a bit of a weird situation. I'm using my GI Bill at a school up in Canada, and I'm looking at changing programs. What sort of work do I have to do with the VA to get the new program going and make sure I don't get screwed? Luckily it appears I won't have to do anything immediately for my visa, but I would have to extend it.

The program I'm looking at also requires buying kind of a shitload of equipment, too. Is there any path for having that covered?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

So, I've got a bit of a weird situation. I'm using my GI Bill at a school up in Canada, and I'm looking at changing programs. What sort of work do I have to do with the VA to get the new program going and make sure I don't get screwed? Luckily it appears I won't have to do anything immediately for my visa, but I would have to extend it.

The program I'm looking at also requires buying kind of a shitload of equipment, too. Is there any path for having that covered?

Are you in Voc Rehab or Post 9/11? If the latter, do you have a disability rating?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Post 9/11, and no, my disability appeal is still working its way through the VA.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

Post 9/11, and no, my disability appeal is still working its way through the VA.

This may not help you right away, but if you win your appeal and can transition to Voc Rehab they are pretty awesome about buying needed supplies/tools.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lol oh my god is helping write a biochemistry paper for a publication so difficult. All these things they never teach you in undergrad that you have to take into account. I just learned what the gently caress a COG* is today even though I "should have known about it since January."

Sorry I've had a few and needed to vent.

*Clusters of Orthologous Groups of proteins, so an attempt to phylogenetically classify proteins from 21 different genomes of organisms.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
The CC here has a new accelerated RN program for prior military medics :thunk:

Seriously considering going back. They evaluate military credits in depth and knock off quite a few courses. On top of that there’s two programs specifically for those who qualify - blended or traditional.

Sounds too good to be true. :(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The semester-long group project came together and I'm really happy with the final product. Our only hiccup was a team member withdrawing right at the start.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
My last group project, the project lead decided to change all of the fonts, all of the font colors, all of the slide backgrounds and somehow managed to use every single fade in fade out wipe affect in pp without telling us.

Group projects suck.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This is a document in the format of a peer-reviewed science paper. The references, tables, figures, and format are just so. I'm not changing a drat thing about that before submitting.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

EBB posted:

This is a document in the format of a peer-reviewed science paper. The references, tables, figures, and format are just so. I'm not changing a drat thing about that before submitting.

If I was in your group I'd murder you if you changed it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've got a group project coming up next week. But I got in early, came up with a unique idea, and explained that I have an odd schedule and literally adding people would really slow everything down.

SMDFTB solo project.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey guys, I changed it to 14pt font and that added two extra pages, which means its better, i'm hitting submit now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Go to replace and replace every period with one at 20 font something.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Syrian Lannister posted:

My last group project, the project lead decided to change all of the fonts, all of the font colors, all of the slide backgrounds and somehow managed to use every single fade in fade out wipe affect in pp without telling us.

Group projects suck.

Literally after my group agreed on the last edit to our project, one of our guys dropped the bomb that he was switching teams for next semester because health reasons bla blah their schedule just lines up better with his etc. Had it lined up and everything.

I suspect he was unhappy with how much of the load he was shouldering, but if you're going to charge out ahead on every project with "I ran the numbers last night and this is what we should do", maybe think about the pattern repeating down the road

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Group papers are the best

I mean when one person says gently caress it and just writes it for everyone else

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Group papers are the best

I mean when one person says gently caress it and just writes it for everyone else

I got stuck doing rewrites

gently caress group projects

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just submitted my last assignment for the semester. Two down and two to go.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My partner and I couldn't schedule with each other to meet and log these rock cores, so we both just lone-wolfed a group project worth three labs.

Got it back today with an 86 (pretty good in my book)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

sooooo anyone else gonna make the google doc? No? Ok guess I will